Galway Forum

Senior Club Hurling Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Turloughmore were impressive in patches against Larkins at the weekend, probably should have won by more in the end only Jason Flynn got a late goal. Jamie Holland best player on the field by a mile at centre back. Hard to see anyone matching the Turlough middle third when they have Daithi and Sean Loftus in midfield and a half back line of Kevin Hussey, Jamie Holland and Daniel Loftus. Sean Linnane got a super goal as well.

The other game was atrocious. Ahascragh Fohenagh looked like a Junior team, even Cathal Mannion didnt look interested. Craughwell took their scores well but most teams in the championship would have beaten Ahascragh in that form.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 19/08/2019 12:13:47    2227439

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Turloughmore were impressive in patches against Larkins at the weekend, probably should have won by more in the end only Jason Flynn got a late goal. Jamie Holland best player on the field by a mile at centre back. Hard to see anyone matching the Turlough middle third when they have Daithi and Sean Loftus in midfield and a half back line of Kevin Hussey, Jamie Holland and Daniel Loftus. Sean Linnane got a super goal as well.

The other game was atrocious. Ahascragh Fohenagh looked like a Junior team, even Cathal Mannion didnt look interested. Craughwell took their scores well but most teams in the championship would have beaten Ahascragh in that form."
Yes, Ahascragh not going well.
After 3 Rounds looks like one of these 3 are going to get relegated Abbeyknockmoy, Beagh or Ahascragh-Foehangh.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 19/08/2019 16:44:30    2227583

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Turloughmore were impressive in patches against Larkins at the weekend, probably should have won by more in the end only Jason Flynn got a late goal. Jamie Holland best player on the field by a mile at centre back. Hard to see anyone matching the Turlough middle third when they have Daithi and Sean Loftus in midfield and a half back line of Kevin Hussey, Jamie Holland and Daniel Loftus. Sean Linnane got a super goal as well.

The other game was atrocious. Ahascragh Fohenagh looked like a Junior team, even Cathal Mannion didnt look interested. Craughwell took their scores well but most teams in the championship would have beaten Ahascragh in that form."
Every time I have seen Turlough over the past 3-4 years ive left the venue thinking they'll win the Tom Callanan this year only for them to not show up in the knock-out stage. Granted I have only seen them on a couple of occasions my opinion doesn't carry to much weight but I wouldn't be holding my breath on them at all. Loughrea are a much better bet I think although both may struggle to beat the likes of Mellows who are my bet.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 20/08/2019 08:31:20    2227758

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Every time I have seen Turlough over the past 3-4 years ive left the venue thinking they'll win the Tom Callanan this year only for them to not show up in the knock-out stage. Granted I have only seen them on a couple of occasions my opinion doesn't carry to much weight but I wouldn't be holding my breath on them at all. Loughrea are a much better bet I think although both may struggle to beat the likes of Mellows who are my bet."
Question is whether they have enough scoring apart from Conor Walsh but you are right there does seem to be a mental block with the knock out stages. Still think anyone from Thomas', Turloughmore, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, Mellows or even Cappataggle can win it.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 20/08/2019 09:36:40    2227776

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Question is whether they have enough scoring apart from Conor Walsh but you are right there does seem to be a mental block with the knock out stages. Still think anyone from Thomas', Turloughmore, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, Mellows or even Cappataggle can win it."
Definitely can't see Cappy or Loughrea winning it out this year but yes agree with Turlough, Mellows and Thomas' as possibilities but I'm sticking with my tip from the start Clarinbridge.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 20/08/2019 20:13:08    2228018

Link

It's a very open championship this year. Winners could be from senior b yet(clairnbridge). But I would not write off any other team. Going by the weekend turloughmore are still unbeaten in A as is loughrea. Cappy started of slow but came back and won.Harte was a big loss for gort. St Thomas are coming good think they started slow too but came back and won it handy. Think they have a few lads back. Mellows won easy enough over Portuma who are an ageing team.
Two more rounds left still alot to play for. For me I reckon it could be either turloughmore clairnbridge mellows or St Thomas. And for me the dark horses will be Cappataggle. But thats my opinion could be wrong......

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 28 - 20/08/2019 23:22:58    2228047

Link

Full list of matches this weekend in Round 4
Senior A
St. Thomas' v Portumna.............. Thomas'
Turloughmore v Castlegar............Turlough
L. Mellows v T. Larkins...................Mellows
Sarsfields v Gort.............................Sarsfields
T/Abbey-Duniry v K/Leitrim..........TAD
Cappataggle v Loughrea...............Draw

Senior B
Craughwell v P.Pearses...............Craughwell
Oranmore-Maree v Beagh..........Oranmore-Maree
Athenry v Ahascragh-Fohenagh..Athenry
Mullagh v Abbeyknockmoy...........Mullagh
Clarinbridge v Killimordaly............the Bridge
Ardrahan v Ballindeeren...............Ardrahan.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 26/08/2019 15:21:04    2229450

Link

crazy how this is probably the first year this great portumna team of the past must dread playing teams now. Intermediate 2021?

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 26/08/2019 15:35:28    2229456

Link

Replying To CillTormoir:  "crazy how this is probably the first year this great portumna team of the past must dread playing teams now. Intermediate 2021?"
They are definitely a Club on the downward slide with nothing coming through at underage, lucky for them alot of Senior B teams would be of similar level which could save them for Intermediate.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 26/08/2019 17:20:58    2229487

Link

Replying To katser:  "Full list of matches this weekend in Round 4
Senior A
St. Thomas' v Portumna.............. Thomas'
Turloughmore v Castlegar............Turlough
L. Mellows v T. Larkins...................Mellows
Sarsfields v Gort.............................Sarsfields
T/Abbey-Duniry v K/Leitrim..........TAD
Cappataggle v Loughrea...............Draw

Senior B
Craughwell v P.Pearses...............Craughwell
Oranmore-Maree v Beagh..........Oranmore-Maree
Athenry v Ahascragh-Fohenagh..Athenry
Mullagh v Abbeyknockmoy...........Mullagh
Clarinbridge v Killimordaly............the Bridge
Ardrahan v Ballindeeren...............Ardrahan."
I'll go with
Thomas
Turloughmore
Mellows
Gort
Tad
Cappy
Craughwell
Oranmore
Athreny
Mullagh
Clarinbridge
Ardrahan

I say loughrea v cappy, Sarsfields v gort and clairnbridge v Killimordaly so be intresting games. Looking forward to them.

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 28 - 26/08/2019 22:22:36    2229587

Link

Replying To plentyofstick:  "I'll go with
Thomas
Turloughmore
Mellows
Gort
Tad
Cappy
Craughwell
Oranmore
Athreny
Mullagh
Clarinbridge
Ardrahan

I say loughrea v cappy, Sarsfields v gort and clairnbridge v Killimordaly so be intresting games. Looking forward to them."
can we mention oranmore here since G mac has taken them over. incredible rise.

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 28/08/2019 11:06:37    2230049

Link

Saturday's Results Round 4
Senior A
Turloughmore 1-18 Castlegar 0-15
Sarsfields 2-18 Gort 0-22
Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry 0-24 K/Leitrim 0-22
St.Thomas' 6-26 Portumna 0-19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior B
Craughwell 1-23 Padraig Pearses 1-12
Athenry 4-13 Ahascragh-Foehnagh 2-15
Oranmore-Maree 3-16 Beagh 0-20
Mullagh 0-15 Abbeyknockmoy 0-15.

Wow..25pt beating for the 4 time All Ireland Club Winners Portumna!!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 31/08/2019 20:04:04    2231051

Link

Ronan O Meara 11 points from play in an absolute hammering is unbelievable stuff.

mclovin88 (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 31/08/2019 22:51:26    2231089

Link

Sunday's Results Round 4
Senior A
Liam Mellows 1-18 Tommy Larkins 3-08
Loughrea 1-18 Cappataggle 1-15

Senior B
Clarinbridge 3-10 Killimordaly 0-13
Ardrahan 1-13 Ballindeeren 2-10.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 01/09/2019 20:12:17    2231485

Link

Anyone at the games could give a mini report, any outstanding performances from County players, or potential County players.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 138 - 02/09/2019 11:22:57    2231775

Link

Loughrea & Turlock are wiping the board this year. plenty Turlock lads on the county panel (senior & u20) but not too many loughrea lads. Surely they should be given a chance now.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 02/09/2019 13:12:06    2231862

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Anyone at the games could give a mini report, any outstanding performances from County players, or potential County players."
Jamie Ryan from loughrea was very good yesterday v cappy think he does deserve a call up. Good on the day too was Joe Mooney cappy midfielder Dolan did well and their full forward was good too.
Game was scrappy enough. Few good scores from play. Was point to point for most of the game. Ref let alot go. Loughrea got their center back sent off for an off the ball. From yesterday Ryan Mooney Dolan and ja Mannion(once he got the ball he either got a score or won a free.) these lads should get a chance with the county. Johnny Cone was good in patches. Think he scored the loughrea goal. Got onto some loose ball. But was quite enough compared to his standard. Both teams are though to knock out stages with a game to spare. Loughrea to quarter finals and cappy too pre quarter finals.
Gort and tynagh Abbey duniry will be a good game in 2 weeks. Draw or win for gort will do them. 2 games Gort should have won but got bet in injury time. Be an awful setback for gort if they get knocked out. Reckon it will be a close game. With Sarsfields think Kevin Cooney deserves to get game time with Galway next season.

plentyofstick (Galway) - Posts: 28 - 02/09/2019 13:33:50    2231875

Link

Not sure what else Jamie Ryan has to do to get a call into the senior panel. Has been the best player on the field in pretty much every club championship game he has played in this year.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 02/09/2019 15:10:39    2231927

Link

Replying To plentyofstick:  "Jamie Ryan from loughrea was very good yesterday v cappy think he does deserve a call up. Good on the day too was Joe Mooney cappy midfielder Dolan did well and their full forward was good too.
Game was scrappy enough. Few good scores from play. Was point to point for most of the game. Ref let alot go. Loughrea got their center back sent off for an off the ball. From yesterday Ryan Mooney Dolan and ja Mannion(once he got the ball he either got a score or won a free.) these lads should get a chance with the county. Johnny Cone was good in patches. Think he scored the loughrea goal. Got onto some loose ball. But was quite enough compared to his standard. Both teams are though to knock out stages with a game to spare. Loughrea to quarter finals and cappy too pre quarter finals.
Gort and tynagh Abbey duniry will be a good game in 2 weeks. Draw or win for gort will do them. 2 games Gort should have won but got bet in injury time. Be an awful setback for gort if they get knocked out. Reckon it will be a close game. With Sarsfields think Kevin Cooney deserves to get game time with Galway next season."
Cheers for that.

Plenty of options there for the new man coming in.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 138 - 02/09/2019 15:47:20    2231942

Link

This Weekends fixtures Round 5
It's the Final Round of Group matches and some tricky games to call!
Senior A
L.Mellows v Castlegar..................Mellows
T.Larkins v Portumna..................Larkins
St.Thomas' v Turloughmore.......Thomas'
Cappataggle v K/Leitrim..............Cappy
T/Abbey-Duniry v Gort.................TAD
Sarsfields v Loughrea...................Loughrea

Senior B
Craughwell v Athenry...................Craughwell
Oranmore-Maree v P.Pearses......Oranmore
Ahascragh-Fohenagh v Beagh......Ahascragh
Ardrahan v Killimordaly.................Ardrahan
Clarinbridge v Abbeyknockmoy....the Bridge
Mullagh v Ballindeeren..................Mullagh.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 713 - 09/09/2019 13:24:44    2233839

Link