Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To RadioactiveTan:  "People have lives to live outside hurling. You can't expect them to hang around all their lives just to play an amateur game. These players train hard, they sacrifice in other aspects of their life all year long so let them travel if they want. If they were professional it'd be different . Anyway all these Joe McDonagh teams are capable of beating each other on their day. It's gonna be a close game but hopefully Westmeath shade it."
Fine but live your life outside hurling full stop and don't let your teammates and county down at the key moment. Anyway with that kind of crap going on and going to Dunloy its hard to see any success

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 04/06/2019 22:10:24    2190682

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Fine but live your life outside hurling full stop and don't let your teammates and county down at the key moment. Anyway with that kind of crap going on and going to Dunloy its hard to see any success"
Don't commit to a county squad in January/February and then swan off abroad in June

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 05/06/2019 10:44:44    2190772

Link

the more i think about it Antrim might come out on top....that victory over offaly was a very good one..playing for over 50mins with a man less...playing away from home, and playing an Offaly team trying to play with pride and determination for a new manager..it was their best win in championship hurling since 2010 so they will be v fired up..we can all say its only Offaly now but at the end of the day they were not going to go down without a fight and they have tradition. Westmeath need to make the most of everything they have now....they will have 5 to 6 top years i think with the panel they have but theres going to be transition down the road looking at the underage coming up...they need to grasp the chance now and be trying to play liam mccarthy next year

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 425 - 05/06/2019 22:03:49    2191028

Link

Where is Niall O Brien this year? Any others missing? Theres talent in westmeath

SmellyBadger (Limerick) - Posts: 30 - 06/06/2019 09:22:36    2191087

Link

That's some win today.. Well done...

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 425 - 08/06/2019 16:15:32    2191708

Link

A super win today after losing to Kerry the last day but it won't be easy to make the final. Perhaps it will help that Laois are already through when we face them next week. I think if Offaly beat Kerry Westmeath but be in the final also; but feel free to correct me if that's not correct.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 896 - 08/06/2019 17:33:02    2191734

Link

What a performance heroes all

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 08/06/2019 17:39:08    2191739

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "A super win today after losing to Kerry the last day but it won't be easy to make the final. Perhaps it will help that Laois are already through when we face them next week. I think if Offaly beat Kerry Westmeath but be in the final also; but feel free to correct me if that's not correct."
If we are to lose to Laois and Kerry beat Offaly, there would be 3 teams level on 4 points which would then put it to scoring difference. We are currently on +19 and Kerry are on -20 so it would take a massive swing for them to overtake us.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 210 - 08/06/2019 19:07:12    2191806

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "If we are to lose to Laois and Kerry beat Offaly, there would be 3 teams level on 4 points which would then put it to scoring difference. We are currently on +19 and Kerry are on -20 so it would take a massive swing for them to overtake us."
So head to head doesn't come into play first?

Matthew (None) - Posts: 896 - 08/06/2019 19:35:35    2191822

Link

Good win
Can one forward keep carrying the team though?

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 08/06/2019 22:02:37    2191904

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "So head to head doesn't come into play first?"
No because there would be three teams on four points.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 09/06/2019 08:28:11    2192013

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Look at the selectors and their clubs"
25 scores from the selectors club v Antrim

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 385 - 09/06/2019 16:01:29    2192196

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "25 scores from the selectors club v Antrim"
And that makes it right,best players should play, geography shouldn't come in to it. There's enough of that going on with all the development squads. Once your on a county management at any level ,it should never be about getting as many of your own club on board

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 09/06/2019 20:56:06    2192397

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "25 scores from the selectors club v Antrim"
The problem was with certain defenders not being replaced or dropped in previous games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1634 - 09/06/2019 22:46:54    2192494

Link

Replying To valley84:  "The problem was with certain defenders not being replaced or dropped in previous games."
26 points I believe from selectors club. The two defenders were magnificent. Indeed I would say the corner back is player of the year so far
Some people are just serial moaners trying to stir trouble for whatever reason. Management have given this team a bit of steel lacking before. Whether its good enough for a very good Laois only time will tell.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 10/06/2019 13:54:40    2192903

Link

I watched the match on Gaanow and felt the performance was very good. The defense was great, not to say that they're a defensive team, and I thought the forwards were very quick to track back to the middle third when in defensive mode.
The work rate in snuffing out attacks was very impressive. They must be eyeballing the Leinster rugby team there!
The one drawback was likely the over reliance on Killian Doyle ( a fantastic talent) although the other attackers did not lack for running effort. Mitchell was missed although there seems to be much better strength in the bench.
All the best in the next round against a fairly good looking Laois team.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 22 - 10/06/2019 15:24:49    2192983

Link

Am I right in saying westmeath are as good as in the final? They are +19 points. Antrim are 0 points. Kerry are - 20 on 2 points. Offaly 100% gone and would just have to beat kerry to stay up as they are - 16 or something. It would take Laois to beat us by 20 points to bring antrim back into it as far as I can make out. Another note once again the County board are making a joke of the jhc A and jhc B. Absolutely no reason why this championship can't be played to give fringe players their chance to impress for the first team. In the master fixtures the final was to be played in July. To date one round played 7 weeks ago! Any wonder lads loose interest.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 13/06/2019 17:45:09    2194526

Link

Replying To overdabar:  "Am I right in saying westmeath are as good as in the final? They are +19 points. Antrim are 0 points. Kerry are - 20 on 2 points. Offaly 100% gone and would just have to beat kerry to stay up as they are - 16 or something. It would take Laois to beat us by 20 points to bring antrim back into it as far as I can make out. Another note once again the County board are making a joke of the jhc A and jhc B. Absolutely no reason why this championship can't be played to give fringe players their chance to impress for the first team. In the master fixtures the final was to be played in July. To date one round played 7 weeks ago! Any wonder lads loose interest."
Regarding the JHC and I'd imagine the same applies to football - its likely down to exams in a lot of cases. Most students have been unavailable for much of the last 6-8 weeks. Either competitions need to start/finish well in advance of exams or resume straight after. I believe the league finals are being pushed through for the end of the month.

County players who are not starting games and especially on the fringes should be allowed play with their club. In Irish rugby its common for squad players to be sent back from camp to play with provinces. The obvious reason for this is so that they are match fit and dialled in. Surely it makes sense to do the same with county players who have played next to no competitive minutes in months.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 14/06/2019 07:47:06    2194688

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "Regarding the JHC and I'd imagine the same applies to football - its likely down to exams in a lot of cases. Most students have been unavailable for much of the last 6-8 weeks. Either competitions need to start/finish well in advance of exams or resume straight after. I believe the league finals are being pushed through for the end of the month.

County players who are not starting games and especially on the fringes should be allowed play with their club. In Irish rugby its common for squad players to be sent back from camp to play with provinces. The obvious reason for this is so that they are match fit and dialled in. Surely it makes sense to do the same with county players who have played next to no competitive minutes in months."
Look my point is this could be a good competition, keeps older lads playing, young lads trying to get on the senior team a chance to impress. Keeps adult training numbers up. Summer months is when you need to be playing. Year in year out there is 6/7 week gaps between games, semi finals played in the middle of November. Maybe the football second string competition's are ran better. I'm not in a position to comment on that.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 14/06/2019 11:37:39    2194779

Link

I know it was in Portlaoise but Laois made six changes to our one so no doubt that they will be hot favorites for final in Croke Park. Nevertheless with Division 2 Title won and a final again its been a decent year. I know its a long shot but if and its a big if we could get a shot at the Dubs in Cusack???????

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 678 - 16/06/2019 01:05:48    2195591

Link