Kerry Forum

2019 National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thanks for taking the time to write that Horsebox I think you have summed up the mission nicely. We don't have anything approach settled team which is a worry but I believe we are in good hands.

I don't think anybody is expecting a whole pile from Kerry later in the year but at the same time I'll never write us off having lived through that gloriously unlikely 2014 All Ireland. Ciarrai abú

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1191 - 03/04/2019 19:48:38    2177574

Link

I haven't watched it back yet lads but I'm kinda looking forward to watching it after hearing yer views on it.

It was a great league for us and that's considering I thought we'd struggle to stay up so to get to the final and not play anywhere near our potential and to be still in with a shout 2 mins into injury time against a team with Mayos experience was amazing really, and we had a perfectly good goal disallowed as well.

And now we're under the radar with the eyes of the media and Dublin fixed firmly on Mayo so we're in a good place.

Also our young lads beat the dubs in Tralee so happy days.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8651 - 03/04/2019 21:14:59    2177587

Link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/murphy-defeat-by-mayo-may-help-kerry-915303.html

Here's hoping Tim!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4443 - 04/04/2019 14:04:02    2177684

Link

Hard luck to a coming and youthful Kerry team. As has been said, Mayo just too powerful physically and smart for Kerry just yet but that will change.

The need to win was greater for us. I am happy with our league having found Ruane at MF and a few forwards up front who can hopefully make a difference in the summer.

The league though is history now in my books and will be forgotten come championship. Connacht will be extremely difficult to get out of this year.

Kerry will have no such problems in Munster and will arrive at super 8 stage under the radar. I still think ye can beat any team and may beat us later in the summer if we meet, but Dublin may be a year too soon...the again anything can happen in sport...who knows maybe we will end our our long wait and win Sam...I'd be happy to let ye take over for a few years then ;)

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9623 - 04/04/2019 14:20:42    2177692

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hard luck to a coming and youthful Kerry team. As has been said, Mayo just too powerful physically and smart for Kerry just yet but that will change.

The need to win was greater for us. I am happy with our league having found Ruane at MF and a few forwards up front who can hopefully make a difference in the summer.

The league though is history now in my books and will be forgotten come championship. Connacht will be extremely difficult to get out of this year.

Kerry will have no such problems in Munster and will arrive at super 8 stage under the radar. I still think ye can beat any team and may beat us later in the summer if we meet, but Dublin may be a year too soon...the again anything can happen in sport...who knows maybe we will end our our long wait and win Sam...I'd be happy to let ye take over for a few years then ;)"
Cheers yew boy. Best of luck to ye in the championship.

On another note, and taking from a discussion from the Kerry GAA forum, is there any advantage to Mayo or Galway or Roscommon to win Connacht this year as it means ye go in to the super 8 group as Dublin and will have to play 2 games in crokepark?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8651 - 04/04/2019 21:06:44    2177751

Link

Any of ye taking in club games over the weekend?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3837 - 05/04/2019 21:17:24    2177859

Link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/kerry-defensive-system-408462

Decent article here, very interesting. The main things I learned from it is that we have our centre back not attacking because he is the man tasked with holding the centre and that our half forward are all dropping back when we don't have the ball which leaves us with 3 up top, 2 inside with one link man. I think the 2 inside come championship will be David Clifford and Paul Geaney but lads who do you think should be the link man O'Shea, O'Brien or McCarthy? Also who should be the centre back who holds the middle, Murphy, Morley, Gavin Crowley or Sherwood? If we continue with this kind of system, these are 2 key positions.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 161 - 06/04/2019 18:04:24    2177920

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/kerry-defensive-system-408462

Decent article here, very interesting. The main things I learned from it is that we have our centre back not attacking because he is the man tasked with holding the centre and that our half forward are all dropping back when we don't have the ball which leaves us with 3 up top, 2 inside with one link man. I think the 2 inside come championship will be David Clifford and Paul Geaney but lads who do you think should be the link man O'Shea, O'Brien or McCarthy? Also who should be the centre back who holds the middle, Murphy, Morley, Gavin Crowley or Sherwood? If we continue with this kind of system, these are 2 key positions."
I had noticed Paul hasn't been going forward throughout the league. I'm glad and I never liked seeing Peter Crowley charging forward at every opportunity when he was CB. I like Morley there personally but he seems to have fallen down the pecking order and Paul Murphy appears to be our CB. We didnt really try anybody else there during the league. He has good distribution skills and is a really smart player but lacks that physical presence that you expect in that holding role. He is great when trying to work the ball out but as a stopper in not so sure.

The inside two is Clifford / Geaney barring injury. I really like McCarthy in the link role working back but in fairness to O'Brien he has made the position his own if he can continue his form. Sean O'She's will be centre forward, the two wide spots are still up for grabs imo and that's not a good thing. Dara Moynihan probably has one spot but we don't have a clear no. 12. These positions are hugely important in today's game as they offer cover for the defence and a link to the attack. Gavin O'Brien or Diarmuid O'Connor could be the answer in time. O'Brien can also play there allowing McCarthy to play at 15.

Too many question marks in too many positions really but let's see how it unfolds. Peter Keane should have a good idea of what he has at this stage.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1191 - 06/04/2019 20:04:30    2177925

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I had noticed Paul hasn't been going forward throughout the league. I'm glad and I never liked seeing Peter Crowley charging forward at every opportunity when he was CB. I like Morley there personally but he seems to have fallen down the pecking order and Paul Murphy appears to be our CB. We didnt really try anybody else there during the league. He has good distribution skills and is a really smart player but lacks that physical presence that you expect in that holding role. He is great when trying to work the ball out but as a stopper in not so sure.

The inside two is Clifford / Geaney barring injury. I really like McCarthy in the link role working back but in fairness to O'Brien he has made the position his own if he can continue his form. Sean O'She's will be centre forward, the two wide spots are still up for grabs imo and that's not a good thing. Dara Moynihan probably has one spot but we don't have a clear no. 12. These positions are hugely important in today's game as they offer cover for the defence and a link to the attack. Gavin O'Brien or Diarmuid O'Connor could be the answer in time. O'Brien can also play there allowing McCarthy to play at 15.

Too many question marks in too many positions really but let's see how it unfolds. Peter Keane should have a good idea of what he has at this stage."
I agree that Geaney, Clifford, Stephen O'Brien and Sean O'Shea are nailed onto start in the attack. I think the other 2 positions are a toss up between Dara Moynihan, Kevin McCarthy and Gavin O'Brien. Personally I'd go with Moynihan and Gavin O'Brien.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 161 - 06/04/2019 22:17:42    2177935

Link

Here's my team for the championship.Goals, Shane Ryan, Peter Crowley, Jason Foley, Tom o' Sullivan, Gavin Crowley, Paul Murphy, Gavin White, Jack Sherwood,Jack Barry, Michael Burns, Seanie o'Shea, Stephen o'Brien, James o'Donoghue, Paul Geaney, David Clifford. Some good players on the bench Morley, graham o'sullivan o'Beaglaioch,Enright in the backs young Diarmuid o' connor and O brien and Moran midfield cover and Tommy Walsh, mcCarthy, and Tomas o'shea Jonathan lyne possibly conor or mikey geaney for the forwards. I don't think Moynihan is ready yet for the big stage.

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 640 - 08/04/2019 00:11:22    2178001

Link