Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To westyboy:  "You're making yourself look a bit stupid Kerry have less than 20,000 more people than Louth it's probably one of the counties who's population is fairly close to our own. Dublin county has more than a million. So obviously we can't mimick the Dublin model however the Kerry system is within our remit. We do the same things we'll get the same results. It's pig headedness conservative views that keep things as is."
It's not within our remit Kerry is in Munster. If your trying to say based on population we have a similarity to kerry and therefore should copy them, you are still wrong we are still far apart as the number of clubs/population in the area served differs.

You'd swear there has never been a junior or Intermediate player in the Louth team. Couldn't be further from the truth just proves the whole for the better of the county line was nonsense.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 11/02/2019 07:51:44    2164371

Link

we tried a similar format in Monaghan in 1999/2000 i think it was. Was tried once and never repeated again which tells you everything you know. The intermediate and junior clubs were not interested in it and it got in the way of their own club championships. I bet there isnt one player in Louth that Wayne Kierans does not know so its of little value. Right call by the louth clubs for the sake of the clubs

highway (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 11/02/2019 15:16:44    2164573

Link

I commend the clubs who forwarded the motion. Very proactive on their behalf and its healthy to forward these motions which are debated and decided upon in a democratic fashion.

Now that that saga is over can anyone tell me how the Junior Football Championship will be run this year?

Shearer (Louth) - Posts: 730 - 11/02/2019 16:26:53    2164606

Link

Replying To highway:  "we tried a similar format in Monaghan in 1999/2000 i think it was. Was tried once and never repeated again which tells you everything you know. The intermediate and junior clubs were not interested in it and it got in the way of their own club championships. I bet there isnt one player in Louth that Wayne Kierans does not know so its of little value. Right call by the louth clubs for the sake of the clubs"
I'd say you are right about what Wayne knows about players in the county.
Of the 20 players used yesterday only one - Tommy Durnin - is from a club that was never senior. He may have played senior abroad when he emigrated.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 11/02/2019 21:01:13    2164681

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "Amazing to think that the Kerry team that just beat the all Ireland champions had only 8 senior club players starting, shows the benefits of an amalgamation championship helping junior players to be noticed and drastically improving the county set up. Long term visions paying off."
No comparison in most ways between Louth and Kerry even though we the two counties that raised the money to buy Croke Park.
Look at the geography .
N/S Tarbert to Catherdanial 150km (2.5 hours) . Greenore to Drogheda 60 Km (40 mins.)
W/E Ballylongford to Kenmare 130 Km ( 2 hours). Killanny to Clogherhead 40 Km ( 35 mins)
Not much chance of being missed or hiding in Louth.
They also have three big peninsulas while we have one narrow one. (Albeit a good one)
Their county is full of mountains while ours are in the peninsula.
Many of their young men "emigrate" to Dublin,Cork,etc. and play club football there.
They have lots of reasons for amalgamations. We have few if any.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 11/02/2019 22:51:52    2164713

Link

Replying To Shearer:  "I commend the clubs who forwarded the motion. Very proactive on their behalf and its healthy to forward these motions which are debated and decided upon in a democratic fashion.

Now that that saga is over can anyone tell me how the Junior Football Championship will be run this year?"
Same as last year with 3A and 3B teams included in the draw. One would presume that Annaghminnion might stay in the championship they competed in last year, but that is something I don't know. I have no idea either whether the draw is ceeded?

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 281 - 12/02/2019 10:27:26    2164762

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "No comparison in most ways between Louth and Kerry even though we the two counties that raised the money to buy Croke Park.
Look at the geography .
N/S Tarbert to Catherdanial 150km (2.5 hours) . Greenore to Drogheda 60 Km (40 mins.)
W/E Ballylongford to Kenmare 130 Km ( 2 hours). Killanny to Clogherhead 40 Km ( 35 mins)
Not much chance of being missed or hiding in Louth.
They also have three big peninsulas while we have one narrow one. (Albeit a good one)
Their county is full of mountains while ours are in the peninsula.
Many of their young men "emigrate" to Dublin,Cork,etc. and play club football there.
They have lots of reasons for amalgamations. We have few if any."
No all that's in nonsense...the reason Louth have been poor this past 30/40 years is because out Junior clubs don't get a proper game...
Because there is an elitist attitude as well from anyone that is in Senior.....(sarcasm)

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 12/02/2019 12:24:02    2164808

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "No all that's in nonsense...the reason Louth have been poor this past 30/40 years is because out Junior clubs don't get a proper game...
Because there is an elitist attitude as well from anyone that is in Senior.....(sarcasm)"
Since we won the All Ireland all our senior clubs bar St. Mary's have won the junior championship with their then first team. If they got elite it was through hard work and effort. Keep the faith.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 12/02/2019 19:20:58    2164951

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Since we won the All Ireland all our senior clubs bar St. Mary's have won the junior championship with their then first team. If they got elite it was through hard work and effort. Keep the faith."
I wholeheartedly agree.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 12/02/2019 23:17:56    2165004

Link

New poster to Hogan Stand, long time viewer. Feel it's about time I dipped my toes.

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 79 - 13/02/2019 09:29:27    2165023

Link

Welcome. Good to get a seaside view

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 19/02/2019 12:08:50    2166337

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "New poster to Hogan Stand, long time viewer. Feel it's about time I dipped my toes."
Sean O Mahonys man, you would be more suitable to the transfer thread,

Plenty of your players got transfered from other town teams, and you took the Nixons won a Champ and then let them leave

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 20/02/2019 11:29:38    2166518

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "Sean O Mahonys man, you would be more suitable to the transfer thread,

Plenty of your players got transfered from other town teams, and you took the Nixons won a Champ and then let them leave"
Wow that's some greeting...are you a Gaels man? The Gaels have more guards than locals!
First of all Sean omahonys don't actively go around Recruiting anyone, the Nixons asked to come to us, I was surprised myself at that but they had their reasons. If someone wants to come to us well be it, and the same when they wanted to go, nobody stopped them.
And there was only one Nixon actually playing in reality and he left before 2016, majority of that team are born and bred quay lads.

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 79 - 20/02/2019 13:23:01    2166551

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "Wow that's some greeting...are you a Gaels man? The Gaels have more guards than locals!
First of all Sean omahonys don't actively go around Recruiting anyone, the Nixons asked to come to us, I was surprised myself at that but they had their reasons. If someone wants to come to us well be it, and the same when they wanted to go, nobody stopped them.
And there was only one Nixon actually playing in reality and he left before 2016, majority of that team are born and bred quay lads."
No im not a Gaels man.

Im a Louth Gael in Dundalk, i.e Dundalk Gael

Fisher was poched from Roche (never had anything to do with Quay)
Ronan Byrne is a Brides man (still plays Hurling there)

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 20/02/2019 15:16:29    2166587

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "No im not a Gaels man.

Im a Louth Gael in Dundalk, i.e Dundalk Gael

Fisher was poched from Roche (never had anything to do with Quay)
Ronan Byrne is a Brides man (still plays Hurling there)"
Well state your club then...ie Dundalk Gaels you can see why one would assume so.
Fisher yes indeed but then anyone that knows the omahonys knows his Uncle Anto Mackin, former player his whole life and current underage manager so that's that one.
Ronan Byrne to the best of my Knowledge had a falling out with Knocbridge football team and transferred in at 18, again no poaching don't know why he picked SOM to be honest.
Like I said every club in county has players who might have started elsewhere.
Your clutching at very few straws here my friend

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 79 - 20/02/2019 19:17:24    2166650

Link