Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To junior14:  "Great to c so many teams delighted with this vote, from the 16 clubs that play at a senior level in the county either in league or championship, how many will actually win the league or championship in the next 10 years my guess is 2 maybe 3 max , we can look forward to Louth seniors hopefully being able to stil compete and constantly play challenges with Wicklow,Waterford , Antrim and Leitrim as this is the standard wee are at , slag our midfielders and management all u want , where's all these unreal senior players to take there places and how can these lads develope as players it they aren't playing senior championship??? wait I know Durnin join the Marys and Earley join the blues problem sorted Louth for Sam 2020 , but the martins won't b happy with those transfers so the 2 Duffy's from the feckins should join the martins and there u have it lads , there is the only 3 clubs that will win anything in the senior grade in the next 10 years maybe 15 , but at least we have 16 senior clubs who think they have a chance !!! Dreamers !!!!! I'd ask anyone to name me 8 competitive senior clubs in this county at the minute,"
This is whats best for the clubs, coaches and players...why? cause nobody was ready for this maybe for the exception of Tallanstown. How on earth can you land something like this to any of the management teams or the players with zero preparation. Common sense has prevailed here...something which is a very rare commodity in Louth football. There is a reason why the vote was practically a white wash. Your obviously not happy but junior clubs rarely are. Something that you conveniently ignored was the CCC are going to consult with all the clubs in the coming weeks and months about bringing fresh proposals to the convention next year. Not like the ambush that occurred a few backs. If the plans makes sense and it gives everyone a fair crack of the whip well then i say why not... but one cannot not throw in a new competition on top of all the existing competitions and just see how it goes. That is not how business is done at good clubs.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 31/01/2019 10:30:24    2161128

Link

Replying To junior14:  "Great to c so many teams delighted with this vote, from the 16 clubs that play at a senior level in the county either in league or championship, how many will actually win the league or championship in the next 10 years my guess is 2 maybe 3 max , we can look forward to Louth seniors hopefully being able to stil compete and constantly play challenges with Wicklow,Waterford , Antrim and Leitrim as this is the standard wee are at , slag our midfielders and management all u want , where's all these unreal senior players to take there places and how can these lads develope as players it they aren't playing senior championship??? wait I know Durnin join the Marys and Earley join the blues problem sorted Louth for Sam 2020 , but the martins won't b happy with those transfers so the 2 Duffy's from the feckins should join the martins and there u have it lads , there is the only 3 clubs that will win anything in the senior grade in the next 10 years maybe 15 , but at least we have 16 senior clubs who think they have a chance !!! Dreamers !!!!! I'd ask anyone to name me 8 competitive senior clubs in this county at the minute,"
In the last 8 Years

4 Diff Teams Have Won it
8 Diff Teams Have Been in Final

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 31/01/2019 11:01:18    2161138

Link

Your the dreamer fella, like a previous poster just said, you cannot just throw this drastic change at clubs and managers and expect it to roll out the same year, badly badly planned.
Spend the time doing the proposal and maybe something will be changed next year, I'd fully support the idea, however just like the backstop, the only part i would not support is the new competition superseding the Joe Ward.
In the summertime I Am constantly giving out that our pitches are in their peak and there is not enough games and too much training, so a proper proposed fixture calendar is needed for this to work and that cannot happen in such short space of time

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 31/01/2019 11:56:48    2161154

Link

Club players should be proud of there own club regardless of the grade. There is only real pride and sense of achievement if you win with your own club, players need to realise this the grass is not always greener on the other side .Co Board need to protect the Junior clubs from bigger clubs poaching talented young players and parents need a serious dose of reality and need to encourage players to represent there own parish . My own club has spent the last 10 years building the numbers and doing our best to compete as a stand alone club, although the trophy cabinet is not over flowing there is still more pride in our club and hopefully our day will come and medals will be won but your identity is what's important. New competition in its current format wouldn't help club football because although junior players could compete at a so called higher level we are still pampering to the elite player and God knows clubs suffer enough with the molly coddling around co players without creating any more superstars. Play for your own club represent your own parish and be thankful you are fit and able to do it .

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 89 - 31/01/2019 12:13:59    2161159

Link

Replying To kwiksilver:  "This is whats best for the clubs, coaches and players...why? cause nobody was ready for this maybe for the exception of Tallanstown. How on earth can you land something like this to any of the management teams or the players with zero preparation. Common sense has prevailed here...something which is a very rare commodity in Louth football. There is a reason why the vote was practically a white wash. Your obviously not happy but junior clubs rarely are. Something that you conveniently ignored was the CCC are going to consult with all the clubs in the coming weeks and months about bringing fresh proposals to the convention next year. Not like the ambush that occurred a few backs. If the plans makes sense and it gives everyone a fair crack of the whip well then i say why not... but one cannot not throw in a new competition on top of all the existing competitions and just see how it goes. That is not how business is done at good clubs."
this has actually nothing to do with junior clubs been happy or not, personally im happy there will be meetings to try make something like this work, it wasn't an ambush either, maybe there was a slight level of arrogance from the senior clubs that it wouldn't pass as a motion, because it was sitting with clubs for 2 months, not a word was changed from when it was first spoke of at the fixtures forum and on the night it was passed any amendments any clubs wanted to make like leave it over till 2020 for trial could have been done with no problems whatsoever from the clubs that submitted it, instead total uproar for a fortnight through this site, other different medias, 2 page spreads in newspapers about all the problems and no solutions,there will hardly be a word wrote this week in the papers even though lasts nights meeting should bring all clubs together to try and develop a vision for the future of Louth GAA, the purpose of this idea is a good one, i really hope all clubs follow through and give this a chance and enter a good debate on all aspects of louth gaa in 2019.
Simple little changes to the leagues would make a huge huge difference for every club in louth regarding there ability to compete and also easily let senior clubs second teams enter the leagues aswel, secondary schools football is where the future lies and its where huge resources should be spent regarding coaching, no Louth school plays in the Leinster A competition on there own all playing in mainly C a couple in B division, these areas could be developed and spoke about aswel when all the clubs meet this year.
junior clubs got hard time for this motion, just because were junior clubs doesnt mean our ideas dont work, with a open mind this will be a huge success in the future.

junior14 (Louth) - Posts: 33 - 31/01/2019 13:23:03    2161176

Link

Replying To junior14:  "this has actually nothing to do with junior clubs been happy or not, personally im happy there will be meetings to try make something like this work, it wasn't an ambush either, maybe there was a slight level of arrogance from the senior clubs that it wouldn't pass as a motion, because it was sitting with clubs for 2 months, not a word was changed from when it was first spoke of at the fixtures forum and on the night it was passed any amendments any clubs wanted to make like leave it over till 2020 for trial could have been done with no problems whatsoever from the clubs that submitted it, instead total uproar for a fortnight through this site, other different medias, 2 page spreads in newspapers about all the problems and no solutions,there will hardly be a word wrote this week in the papers even though lasts nights meeting should bring all clubs together to try and develop a vision for the future of Louth GAA, the purpose of this idea is a good one, i really hope all clubs follow through and give this a chance and enter a good debate on all aspects of louth gaa in 2019.
Simple little changes to the leagues would make a huge huge difference for every club in louth regarding there ability to compete and also easily let senior clubs second teams enter the leagues aswel, secondary schools football is where the future lies and its where huge resources should be spent regarding coaching, no Louth school plays in the Leinster A competition on there own all playing in mainly C a couple in B division, these areas could be developed and spoke about aswel when all the clubs meet this year.
junior clubs got hard time for this motion, just because were junior clubs doesnt mean our ideas dont work, with a open mind this will be a huge success in the future."
I most certainly hope so Junior. Louth football is in a bad spot at the moment and what this has done has taken all the attention off an incompetent county board but that's another arguement for another day. I like your positivity at the end. After proper due diligence and planning in the next year there is no reason why i couldnt work. Fingers crossed lad.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 31/01/2019 15:04:06    2161199

Link

Replying To junior14:  "this has actually nothing to do with junior clubs been happy or not, personally im happy there will be meetings to try make something like this work, it wasn't an ambush either, maybe there was a slight level of arrogance from the senior clubs that it wouldn't pass as a motion, because it was sitting with clubs for 2 months, not a word was changed from when it was first spoke of at the fixtures forum and on the night it was passed any amendments any clubs wanted to make like leave it over till 2020 for trial could have been done with no problems whatsoever from the clubs that submitted it, instead total uproar for a fortnight through this site, other different medias, 2 page spreads in newspapers about all the problems and no solutions,there will hardly be a word wrote this week in the papers even though lasts nights meeting should bring all clubs together to try and develop a vision for the future of Louth GAA, the purpose of this idea is a good one, i really hope all clubs follow through and give this a chance and enter a good debate on all aspects of louth gaa in 2019.
junior clubs got hard time for this motion, just because were junior clubs doesnt mean our ideas dont work, with a open mind this will be a huge success in the future."
You said it yourself, a few changes in the league will be a huge difference to the standard of Louth football. I've said it before leagues are won in the muck, rain and through hard work. Championships are a show piece, day in the sun. Leave the championships as they are. To truly elevate anything you must start from the bottom up. All we'd do if we focused on this idea of a championship is raise a few elite for a day in the sun and create a peak. Would we rather have a high point (flash in the pan) or actually put in the graft and improve the standard of Louth GAA for the long term. This will only come from improving standards of underage coaching, schools, administration, fixtures, facilities and overall participation in Louth clubs as a whole. The one good thing about all this is more people our aware of how important it is to be involved and hopefully our clubs and county board will see some new faces ready to work and drive things forward. Your club should be your community. I'm a firm believer than good clubs make good teams not the other way around.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 31/01/2019 23:20:38    2161302

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "In the last 8 Years

4 Diff Teams Have Won it
8 Diff Teams Have Been in Final"
And that's only The Joe Ward. The Jocks won The Cardinal O,Donnell

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 01/02/2019 08:58:45    2161334

Link

Club football in Louth is as low as it can go in both underage and adult. Louth teams in the inter County scene is worse and A few changes in the leagues is not going to sort it.
Lets be honest nobody is interested in improving the standard as you can see in the last two weeks. A motion was put forward by 3 junior clubs and as soon as It was passed there was uproar in the county and everybody jumped on the "Recind the motion" bandwagon.
This should have being discussed at club and county level when it was proposed by the club's, only when it was passed it was discussed. Senior and intmediate clubs do not give a two hoots about junior clubs and it's is the junior clubs who made the first step to try and improve things

Then when the motion was recinded on Wednesday the CB said they would let the ccc look at it for the next convention. Now come on who are they fooling as we all know that is the end of it and we will not hear about This again.

Time is up for club football is Louth.

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 88 - 01/02/2019 12:57:55    2161416

Link

Replying To Northlouth:  "Club football in Louth is as low as it can go in both underage and adult. Louth teams in the inter County scene is worse and A few changes in the leagues is not going to sort it.
Lets be honest nobody is interested in improving the standard as you can see in the last two weeks. A motion was put forward by 3 junior clubs and as soon as It was passed there was uproar in the county and everybody jumped on the "Recind the motion" bandwagon.
This should have being discussed at club and county level when it was proposed by the club's, only when it was passed it was discussed. Senior and intmediate clubs do not give a two hoots about junior clubs and it's is the junior clubs who made the first step to try and improve things

Then when the motion was recinded on Wednesday the CB said they would let the ccc look at it for the next convention. Now come on who are they fooling as we all know that is the end of it and we will not hear about This again.

Time is up for club football is Louth."
Listen to yourself, you would think you came up with an idea that was fantastic in the first place, there might be a reason that the idea came from 3 junior clubs!
There was lots of confusion when it scraped past the first time anyway, common sense prevailed thankfully.
Don't blame the state of Louths football on the senior and intermediate clubs as if they aren't trying or they are the root of your problems!
Louth football wouldn't drastically improve because of a few extra games for junior players, if your good enough then your good enough.
Louth people as a county have no respect for their players and when someone is constantly putting you down it's a hard cycle to break, no young players really aspire to play senior. It's a shame, I do believe Louth is a good sporting county, we just don't do things the right way and we never have. Just look at our neighbours in Monaghan and ask how does a county of 60,000 do what they are doing versus Louths with 130,000 people. They play matches in 3 lovely pitches and we have NONE.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 01/02/2019 17:51:15    2161510

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Listen to yourself, you would think you came up with an idea that was fantastic in the first place, there might be a reason that the idea came from 3 junior clubs!
There was lots of confusion when it scraped past the first time anyway, common sense prevailed thankfully.
Don't blame the state of Louths football on the senior and intermediate clubs as if they aren't trying or they are the root of your problems!
Louth football wouldn't drastically improve because of a few extra games for junior players, if your good enough then your good enough.
Louth people as a county have no respect for their players and when someone is constantly putting you down it's a hard cycle to break, no young players really aspire to play senior. It's a shame, I do believe Louth is a good sporting county, we just don't do things the right way and we never have. Just look at our neighbours in Monaghan and ask how does a county of 60,000 do what they are doing versus Louths with 130,000 people. They play matches in 3 lovely pitches and we have NONE."
What has 3 lovely pitches or population got to do with it. It works in Monaghan because they all pull together and are moving things forward together. The club's support each other and are light years ahead in everything they do.

Your right that Louth is a great sporting county and thank God the soccer locally is gone to summer because they offer what every kid wants and that is regular football, week after week.

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 88 - 01/02/2019 22:25:35    2161578

Link

Amazing to think that the Kerry team that just beat the all Ireland champions had only 8 senior club players starting, shows the benefits of an amalgamation championship helping junior players to be noticed and drastically improving the county set up. Long term visions paying off.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 10/02/2019 12:47:48    2163954

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "Amazing to think that the Kerry team that just beat the all Ireland champions had only 8 senior club players starting, shows the benefits of an amalgamation championship helping junior players to be noticed and drastically improving the county set up. Long term visions paying off."
Ahh will ya quit will you. Kerry and Louth shouldn't be compared in any way in any shape or form. They live, sleep breathe football and the Kerry Jersey.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 10/02/2019 14:59:28    2164016

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Ahh will ya quit will you. Kerry and Louth shouldn't be compared in any way in any shape or form. They live, sleep breathe football and the Kerry Jersey."
I don't think that has any relevance in putting in a system to progress top junior and inter players into the elite set up whilst keeping them with their clubs.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 10/02/2019 16:25:19    2164074

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "I don't think that has any relevance in putting in a system to progress top junior and inter players into the elite set up whilst keeping them with their clubs."
It's a ridiculous comparison. Kerry has more clubs and a way higher playing population. By the logic of mimicking the best, why don't we copy Dublin who play league without their county players and the 'B' teams can be promoted as far as the league below their senior.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 10/02/2019 18:06:23    2164158

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "It's a ridiculous comparison. Kerry has more clubs and a way higher playing population. By the logic of mimicking the best, why don't we copy Dublin who play league without their county players and the 'B' teams can be promoted as far as the league below their senior."
You're making yourself look a bit stupid Kerry have less than 20,000 more people than Louth it's probably one of the counties who's population is fairly close to our own. Dublin county has more than a million. So obviously we can't mimick the Dublin model however the Kerry system is within our remit. We do the same things we'll get the same results. It's pig headedness conservative views that keep things as is.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 10/02/2019 19:10:49    2164199

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "It's a ridiculous comparison. Kerry has more clubs and a way higher playing population. By the logic of mimicking the best, why don't we copy Dublin who play league without their county players and the 'B' teams can be promoted as far as the league below their senior."
You're making yourself look a bit stupid Kerry have less than 20,000 more people than Louth it's probably one of the counties who's population is fairly close to our own. Dublin county has more than a million. So obviously we can't mimick the Dublin model however the Kerry system is within our remit. We do the same things we'll get the same results. It's pig headedness conservative views that keep things as is.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 10/02/2019 19:10:55    2164200

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "You're making yourself look a bit stupid Kerry have less than 20,000 more people than Louth it's probably one of the counties who's population is fairly close to our own. Dublin county has more than a million. So obviously we can't mimick the Dublin model however the Kerry system is within our remit. We do the same things we'll get the same results. It's pig headedness conservative views that keep things as is."
Good man westy...have a wee re-read. I mentioned population but there was a key word in front of that and that is a difference. As it happens I think we should look closer to home at the model of Monaghan as it is far more representative of Louth's situation.

On a sidenote, my issues with the recent proposal wasn't the idea itself. Albeit it has many issues to address. It was the fact that people wanted to rattle out a seismic change in 4 months. The height of stupidity in my view. And I do still feel that the rationale that it was proposed for the good of the county was a bit of a red herring.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 10/02/2019 21:55:53    2164307

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Good man westy...have a wee re-read. I mentioned population but there was a key word in front of that and that is a difference. As it happens I think we should look closer to home at the model of Monaghan as it is far more representative of Louth's situation.

On a sidenote, my issues with the recent proposal wasn't the idea itself. Albeit it has many issues to address. It was the fact that people wanted to rattle out a seismic change in 4 months. The height of stupidity in my view. And I do still feel that the rationale that it was proposed for the good of the county was a bit of a red herring."
Monaghan would be a good template but won't work in Louth the funding available for a start isn't there along with the lack of public support for the county board. There needs to be a major change across the landscape of the club structure. The time scale was however ridiculous it should have been aimed for 2020, something major is required to give a jolt to the status quo which just doesn't produce anymore.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 10/02/2019 22:46:59    2164326

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Ahh will ya quit will you. Kerry and Louth shouldn't be compared in any way in any shape or form. They live, sleep breathe football and the Kerry Jersey."
Kerry hurlers operate at around the same level as Louth's footballers. Division 2a which is division 3 in football.

Anything related to Kerry football is another planet to Louth football.

Even their championship structures, because there is a total buy in from top to bottom.

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 196 - 11/02/2019 00:41:35    2164358

Link