Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cameroosh:  "it looks like your the fella who has never kicked a ball, a manager be it club or especially county wont tell a player when he can or cant go on holidays but what he will tell him is not to come back if he tips off on holidays a few weeks to championship. your making up things in your head your going mad, who mentioned portugal?? plenty of other places you can go on holidays that is hot in january but i reckon portugal wouldnt be freezing. So your saying parents follow the rules and dont take kids out of school for holidays? your having a laugh. i will make it easy for you how about they can book there holidays for the mid term break when the kids is off usually around april/may"
So now your saying take the kids on their summer holidays in April, so it's an Easter holiday now is it.All so the regular Joe club player can keep June, July,August, September and of course October free because we have the longest championship in the country.
I'll tell ya you must be a single and with no kids because if you had a missus and kids you'd be told to catch a grip.
So your telling me if a player goes on his holidays 4/5 weeks before the group stages of championship he will be told not to come back...im sorry this is the maddest comment I have ever heard, you my friend have won the internet for today. There is literally lads flown home early from stags, holidays, from J1's every year before matches.
Look I'm done with this particular conversation because it's pointless

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 18/01/2019 16:43:54    2158053

Link

Lads don' t be worrying about this new 'Kerry Championship' for the Tommy Durnin Cup=
It will be like the Tommy Murphy Cup==
For a competition to work you need to have teams taking part and from the word on the ground all senior and inter clubs are against this and will not play in it. Most clubs are very happy with the status quo and are planning not to enter the proposed competition.
This was an ill conceived plot of junior clubs overseen by a junior chairman and supposed to improve louth football. If thats the best plan he can come up with to improve louth football, then it is not surprising he was nearly toppled at convention.
The same junior clubs changed the rules on the Brides and Jocks last year and through them out of Div 3 and seemingly scuppered the Marys proposal this week that allowed a remote chance of this happening in future.! Was this proposal not in the interests of improving the standard of louth football by using competitions rather than mergers and amalgamations?

Everything works well on paper, but put it into practice and see. Realistically what combinations would work and would say the Mochtas or Fechins or Mattock really want to join with neighbouring clubs when their goals at the moment is to work their way into the top grade. Even newly promoted teams such as DYI and Kevins would want to develop and work up to Senior and Div 1.
And even if they wanted to, would the pick of Glyde/Seans/Westies come anywhere near competing with Marys or Dreadnots. I have my doubts, as to play senior football you have to go through the gears and work up yo that level from 1 to 15.

Bluebod (Louth) - Posts: 83 - 18/01/2019 17:20:16    2158057

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "who mentioned food/drink? would wayne kierans allow a player or think its a good idead for a player to go on holidays 4/5 weeks away from championship? highly doubt it"
You're not comparing like with like .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 4999 - 18/01/2019 18:19:29    2158068

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "What due diligence or research suggests that this wont work or is not good for football in Louth?"
Due diligence hasn't been done for that either . Maybe it's time we all became more diligent and did the diligence that's due .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 4999 - 18/01/2019 18:25:51    2158070

Link

In the middle of all this mess serious questions will need to be asked of the county board. These are the men running the show and to think the they could do something like this in the manner they have done it is outrageous. Senior and intermediate clubs are meetng to let the CCC know this ain't happening.

kwiksilver (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 18/01/2019 20:24:49    2158085

Link

Replying To Bluebod:  "Lads don' t be worrying about this new 'Kerry Championship' for the Tommy Durnin Cup=
It will be like the Tommy Murphy Cup==
For a competition to work you need to have teams taking part and from the word on the ground all senior and inter clubs are against this and will not play in it. Most clubs are very happy with the status quo and are planning not to enter the proposed competition.
This was an ill conceived plot of junior clubs overseen by a junior chairman and supposed to improve louth football. If thats the best plan he can come up with to improve louth football, then it is not surprising he was nearly toppled at convention.
The same junior clubs changed the rules on the Brides and Jocks last year and through them out of Div 3 and seemingly scuppered the Marys proposal this week that allowed a remote chance of this happening in future.! Was this proposal not in the interests of improving the standard of louth football by using competitions rather than mergers and amalgamations?

Everything works well on paper, but put it into practice and see. Realistically what combinations would work and would say the Mochtas or Fechins or Mattock really want to join with neighbouring clubs when their goals at the moment is to work their way into the top grade. Even newly promoted teams such as DYI and Kevins would want to develop and work up to Senior and Div 1.
And even if they wanted to, would the pick of Glyde/Seans/Westies come anywhere near competing with Marys or Dreadnots. I have my doubts, as to play senior football you have to go through the gears and work up yo that level from 1 to 15."
A plot by junoir clubs overseen by a junoir chairman who on the night voted against it so goes to show what you know laughable everybody on hear thinking it's just the junoir clubs that wanted it no it wasn't men long and the short of it this needs to be scrapped won't work in this county yet

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 326 - 18/01/2019 21:00:52    2158090

Link

Replying To bennypoor:  "A plot by junoir clubs overseen by a junoir chairman who on the night voted against it so goes to show what you know laughable everybody on hear thinking it's just the junoir clubs that wanted it no it wasn't men long and the short of it this needs to be scrapped won't work in this county yet"
Agreed Benny it's no wonder the motion passed so many clueless people regarding Louth gaa. Just needs to be scrapped was talking to junior players who said there's no way they'd commit to an amalgamation. Never mind give up a wedding or drive home from electric picnic.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 19/01/2019 14:24:07    2158199

Link

Maybe we should have a trial amalgamation championship this year. It could work like this:-
- form 8 amalgamations from intermediate and junior clubs
- play off the inter and junior championships as proposed last Monday
- play senior championship as per recent years with final in October
- senior champs to play in Leinster later that month as normal
- hold draw for amalgamation championship (AC) at half-time of junior final
- play the AC off over three Saturdays in September
- apply the 45 system if draws at end of extra time
- Ask Kerry County Board if their best Amalagation would play our AC champs in Croke Park for a new Croke Cup
- the proceeds of this match to go to help fund the new Louth County Grounds.
- Louth County Board to pay the train fares for the Kerry team coming to Croke Park.

Proposed Amalagations for 2019 .

Group 1. Cooley K.,Cu. Gaels, Roche E.
Group 2. Clans.,DYI, Dowdallshill, Na Piarsaigh.
Group 3. Kilkerly E., Naomh Malachi, Annaghminnion R.,
Group 4. St. Brides, John Mitchels, Strabannon P.
Group 5. St. Kevin's, Lannleire, Naomh Fionbarra
Group 6.Hunterstown R.,Glyde R., Sean McDermott's, Westerns
Group 7. Mattock R.,Glen Emmets, Oliver Plunketts.
Group 8. St. Feckins, Wolfe Tones, St. Niochlas

This is a Wee solution to a Louth problem with an input by the princes of football from the Kingdom.
It would also solve some old sores and maybe some new ones

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 19/01/2019 21:32:45    2158307

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Maybe we should have a trial amalgamation championship this year. It could work like this:-
- form 8 amalgamations from intermediate and junior clubs
- play off the inter and junior championships as proposed last Monday
- play senior championship as per recent years with final in October
- senior champs to play in Leinster later that month as normal
- hold draw for amalgamation championship (AC) at half-time of junior final
- play the AC off over three Saturdays in September
- apply the 45 system if draws at end of extra time
- Ask Kerry County Board if their best Amalagation would play our AC champs in Croke Park for a new Croke Cup
- the proceeds of this match to go to help fund the new Louth County Grounds.
- Louth County Board to pay the train fares for the Kerry team coming to Croke Park.

Proposed Amalagations for 2019 .

Group 1. Cooley K.,Cu. Gaels, Roche E.
Group 2. Clans.,DYI, Dowdallshill, Na Piarsaigh.
Group 3. Kilkerly E., Naomh Malachi, Annaghminnion R.,
Group 4. St. Brides, John Mitchels, Strabannon P.
Group 5. St. Kevin's, Lannleire, Naomh Fionbarra
Group 6.Hunterstown R.,Glyde R., Sean McDermott's, Westerns
Group 7. Mattock R.,Glen Emmets, Oliver Plunketts.
Group 8. St. Feckins, Wolfe Tones, St. Niochlas

This is a Wee solution to a Louth problem with an input by the princes of football from the Kingdom.
It would also solve some old sores and maybe some new ones"
Good bit of thought put into this 1961 fair play but can't help but feel it's all just to make a big square peg fit in a small round hole.
Lets wheel it back to 18 months ago, what where are main problems in Louth club football.
1. Consistency of fixtures
2. Consistency of competivness in our leagues.

For the consistency of fixture I don't think this has been resolved yet and won't be until we come to a fair way of running our leagues that dosnt leave teams with county players disadvantaged.
I'm hoping the home away format of 3a/3b will prove itself to work and we can play off more rounds on the principle if a club loses its away game against a team without their county players by the time the home game with that team comes around, County players will be back and the lose can be canceled out. Id like to think this might be starting point to us getting a longer fixture plan in place allowing us plan more consistent fixtures at both first and second team level.
2. Competivness main issue is the difference in standard of teams at the top and bottom of the divisions. Yet again we are moving in the right direction with 3a /3b, which by all accounts was the biggest problem, is the guine pig for smaller divisions and home and away fixtures. Hopefully lessons learned here can be applied towards improving the rest of the divisions.
There never really was an issue with championship and going by attendences, participation of players/club and even junior and intermediate representation at provionsal level championship was good.
People talking about a format that works in kerry why are we not copying format in Dublin / Cork as their club's have won more senior all ireland than kerry clubs or even Armagh format?
In terms of improving standard of club football. Everyone knows great teams are made in the muck and rain of leagues, championship are the days in the sun. Let's just leave our championships where it is and focus on fine tuning our leagues and fixtures for all players from 1 to 30 not just giving 5 or 6 from each club another day in the sun. Anyone who thinks this will improve the standard is fooling themselves!

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 20/01/2019 13:22:21    2158381

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Good bit of thought put into this 1961 fair play but can't help but feel it's all just to make a big square peg fit in a small round hole.
Lets wheel it back to 18 months ago, what where are main problems in Louth club football.
1. Consistency of fixtures
2. Consistency of competivness in our leagues.

For the consistency of fixture I don't think this has been resolved yet and won't be until we come to a fair way of running our leagues that dosnt leave teams with county players disadvantaged.
I'm hoping the home away format of 3a/3b will prove itself to work and we can play off more rounds on the principle if a club loses its away game against a team without their county players by the time the home game with that team comes around, County players will be back and the lose can be canceled out. Id like to think this might be starting point to us getting a longer fixture plan in place allowing us plan more consistent fixtures at both first and second team level.
2. Competivness main issue is the difference in standard of teams at the top and bottom of the divisions. Yet again we are moving in the right direction with 3a /3b, which by all accounts was the biggest problem, is the guine pig for smaller divisions and home and away fixtures. Hopefully lessons learned here can be applied towards improving the rest of the divisions.
There never really was an issue with championship and going by attendences, participation of players/club and even junior and intermediate representation at provionsal level championship was good.
People talking about a format that works in kerry why are we not copying format in Dublin / Cork as their club's have won more senior all ireland than kerry clubs or even Armagh format?
In terms of improving standard of club football. Everyone knows great teams are made in the muck and rain of leagues, championship are the days in the sun. Let's just leave our championships where it is and focus on fine tuning our leagues and fixtures for all players from 1 to 30 not just giving 5 or 6 from each club another day in the sun. Anyone who thinks this will improve the standard is fooling themselves!"
The 11/12 league games that your club play are your core club games for the year & I agree this is what needs to be improved in the county.
This is still not going to keep these county players at junior clubs happy & that's what has got us,in this situation now. Should all the leagues be changed to 1A 1B 2A 2B on home & away format ?

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 20/01/2019 17:11:34    2158450

Link

If the new system was to go ahead I wouldn't see any Div 6 football being played. Most of the Div 6 teams can not field a Div 6 team for a midweek game sandwiched in between 2 Div 3/2 games. Glyde Westerns Na Piarsaigh couldn't field during the week that there first team where playing Stabannon & D'hill couldn't field at all . Annaghminnon rovers are going back 2 Div 3B so I don't have much hope for a Div 6 league this year.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 20/01/2019 17:25:35    2158455

Link

Poor Beaufort having to wait since early summer with only training and challenge games to compete in the Munster and all Ireland junior, don't think the wait around affected them too much.

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 20/01/2019 17:47:22    2158465

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "Poor Beaufort having to wait since early summer with only training and challenge games to compete in the Munster and all Ireland junior, don't think the wait around affected them too much."
Good lad, great post

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 20/01/2019 19:16:45    2158490

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "The 11/12 league games that your club play are your core club games for the year & I agree this is what needs to be improved in the county.
This is still not going to keep these county players at junior clubs happy & that's what has got us,in this situation now. Should all the leagues be changed to 1A 1B 2A 2B on home & away format ?"
I'd like to think we'll see all divisions split to a and b in the future yes. As I said it would lead to a fairer calender that dosnt penilise clubs with county men while still keeping games going no matter how county progress.
Once we have the main league's running smooth I'd like to see the same logic apply to second (and third team. In your case, credit where credits due) team completions. Meaning consistent competitive football to meet the demand of all the clubs and players in our county.
If some of the county men whos clubs are junior arnt happy then they need to have a serious look at themselves. They are being met and bet in junior competitions so they should show some respect to their opponents and own clubs/team mates. If all they want to do is win medals for themselves then they arnt real gaa men and we as a county and their clubs shouldn't give a damn about what they want. In my eyes the guys that only give a damn about their community and local club and wouldn't give a damn about an all Ireland Final never mind an intercounty footballer. These lads have to be told this lad plays with the county and they just don't care cause he plays with his club and is going to do whatever it takes to win for his neighbours, family and friends. These lads are just as important as our intercounty stars for the gaa and should be afforded the same respect.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 20/01/2019 21:31:58    2158531

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "If the new system was to go ahead I wouldn't see any Div 6 football being played. Most of the Div 6 teams can not field a Div 6 team for a midweek game sandwiched in between 2 Div 3/2 games. Glyde Westerns Na Piarsaigh couldn't field during the week that there first team where playing Stabannon & D'hill couldn't field at all . Annaghminnon rovers are going back 2 Div 3B so I don't have much hope for a Div 6 league this year."
Yea I think the second team competitions will really struggle with the further congestion to the calender. It will be the death of clubs if this happens some of the best club men are second team warriors. Clubs should start being honest at the beginning of the year. Maybe if the clubs who arnt going to have them consistent numbers on a second team should be put into a separate competition with some type of social structure which affords the clubs the flexibility to arrange games when it suits. As long as they have games 1.2 and 3 complete by date xyz then it's fine. I'm still not sure what to do here but I'm thinking. I know ccc increased fines last year to try combat this so maybe it will force teams to think long and hard now at the beginning of the year if the actually have a second team.
I thought yous would have got out of Div 6 last year?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 20/01/2019 21:38:27    2158533

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Yea I think the second team competitions will really struggle with the further congestion to the calender. It will be the death of clubs if this happens some of the best club men are second team warriors. Clubs should start being honest at the beginning of the year. Maybe if the clubs who arnt going to have them consistent numbers on a second team should be put into a separate competition with some type of social structure which affords the clubs the flexibility to arrange games when it suits. As long as they have games 1.2 and 3 complete by date xyz then it's fine. I'm still not sure what to do here but I'm thinking. I know ccc increased fines last year to try combat this so maybe it will force teams to think long and hard now at the beginning of the year if the actually have a second team.
I thought yous would have got out of Div 6 last year?"
The young lads weren't just ready to get our of Div 6 last year took a few heavy defeats but if we had to win our last game v Anna rovers we would of made play offs. Buckets had a great game that day in the middle for them .A few of our players from 6 broke into the senior team & 2 played in senior final & another lad started the league final I was offered these lads for the last game but I didn't want them as I wouldn't of had them this year if promoted.
I seen a picture on twitter of an amalgamation team of jocks mattock glen emmets & there only 6 jocks players on it. this was minor final 94 & 2 of them where U16 it's unbelievable now how the numbers have changed in the club & could field 2 minor teams in 2016 & kept the numbers into adult football.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 20/01/2019 23:42:54    2158550

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "Yea I think the second team competitions will really struggle with the further congestion to the calender. It will be the death of clubs if this happens some of the best club men are second team warriors. Clubs should start being honest at the beginning of the year. Maybe if the clubs who arnt going to have them consistent numbers on a second team should be put into a separate competition with some type of social structure which affords the clubs the flexibility to arrange games when it suits. As long as they have games 1.2 and 3 complete by date xyz then it's fine. I'm still not sure what to do here but I'm thinking. I know ccc increased fines last year to try combat this so maybe it will force teams to think long and hard now at the beginning of the year if the actually have a second team.
I thought yous would have got out of Div 6 last year?"
I thought we where playing too nice and you might start to like me so I threw in that last line.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 21/01/2019 00:00:16    2158552

Link

How can last Monday's decision be changed ?. If the 12 senior clubs opt out of All County Championship will we have nobody in Leinster senior club championship 2019. A Loexit. We should have a referendum first.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1348 - 21/01/2019 18:42:35    2158725

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "How can last Monday's decision be changed ?. If the 12 senior clubs opt out of All County Championship will we have nobody in Leinster senior club championship 2019. A Loexit. We should have a referendum first."
winner of Joe Ward would go on to represent

gaaumpire (Louth) - Posts: 43 - 21/01/2019 20:48:22    2158750

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "How can last Monday's decision be changed ?. If the 12 senior clubs opt out of All County Championship will we have nobody in Leinster senior club championship 2019. A Loexit. We should have a referendum first."
If all the senior clubs opt out the winners of the Joe Ward will go on to Leinster.
Here's hoping this is the case!

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 21/01/2019 20:50:55    2158751

Link