Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The clubs that proposed this motion are damaging themselves. Alot of club players will be left with no football after July...how is that fair?!!!

rocky92 (Louth) - Posts: 55 - 18/01/2019 00:19:54    2157931

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Senior clubs want to play other senior clubs for the senior championship. You can't just come up with plans to change whole structures just because you haven't been successful. What's next, split the blues in two.
Senior clubs are organising a meeting so just because this was voted it means nothing, most of the people in the county never heard about this till other night. the club delegates if known about this for months should have been put out amongst the players and people that are actuality involved in the game, should have been discussed. If affects to many people not to have been properly debated.spoke to several guys today. 2 have holidays booked for June, thought they'd miss league game now could miss championship.
Is that fair? Fellas that train near all year round, make serious commitments.Catch a grip.
As a secondary competition yes, not the main senior one."
Structures change all the time, how many different championship structures have we had over the years and i can remember when we changed from straight knockout we had the usual suspects saying it is a joke and its a bad thing. people just dont like change. if most of the people in the county never heard of this going to a vote then i think you should go back and have it out with your own club as this was issued to every club weeks before it went to a vote, if you did not know about this then maybe your own club is not being ran as it should, its up to your clubs to have the debate on this and then bring all the flaws to the co board meeting on monday night, if there is things that your club is not happy about or didnt know then vote no, why vote yes to something you dont know fully about, typical yes man attitude that is in every club. just to note i am not fully for this proposal i think it has its flaws and should have been brought in 2020 when a proper plan strcture was in place, but what i am for is change and trying to improve football in the county and the county team, there is no guaratee that it will or no guarantee that it wont but its worth a try. if a player has any aspiations of winning a joe ward under the current structure i dont think he should be booking a holiday in june 4/5 weeks before the start of the championship, i would nt call that serious commitment. monaghan changed there league structure this year to have different points awarded for different games with or without county players, there was outrage when it was brought in but most people in the county think it worked well this year. we in louth throw the toys out of the pram even when we try to introduce 2 star games never mind change a structure. if senior teams are not for this or not going to play in it i would like to see the gaels proposal for the leagues put in place as this was a bad idea, it would mean more games and should be against teams at similar level

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 09:28:39    2157944

Link

So this is going ahead then.
Has anyone any details of how these proposed 'amalgamation' teams will work?
Like, I've heard reference hear to 'Baile Talún' already. Has this been confirmed?
Who makes the call on what teams come together, the county board or the clubs themselves on an invitation basis?
How many additional teams could there be potentially?
Greater Dundalk, Greater Drogheda, Mid-Louth, North-Louth, etc?
If anyone has any specifics on any of this I'd be interested to hear it. Thanks

Whitey_Toppskin (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 09:30:39    2157945

Link

Cameroosh to say that a fella going on holidays in June 4-5 weeks before the championship isn't taking it seriously is nonsense really. What if they go in the assigned holiday time (which many do)? Thats 3 weeks before a QF. Is that taking it serious? What if they wait for mid October to take one and risk missing a game in Leinster? Is that not being dedicated enough? Fact is that many lads go in May and June in order to put it behind them and focus on being around from July to focus on competing as best they can in the championship. When is a good time to go? If you went in late APril/early May last year you would risk missing 2 league games. I just don't get this logic.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 18/01/2019 09:50:43    2157948

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "Structures change all the time, how many different championship structures have we had over the years and i can remember when we changed from straight knockout we had the usual suspects saying it is a joke and its a bad thing. people just dont like change. if most of the people in the county never heard of this going to a vote then i think you should go back and have it out with your own club as this was issued to every club weeks before it went to a vote, if you did not know about this then maybe your own club is not being ran as it should, its up to your clubs to have the debate on this and then bring all the flaws to the co board meeting on monday night, if there is things that your club is not happy about or didnt know then vote no, why vote yes to something you dont know fully about, typical yes man attitude that is in every club. just to note i am not fully for this proposal i think it has its flaws and should have been brought in 2020 when a proper plan strcture was in place, but what i am for is change and trying to improve football in the county and the county team, there is no guaratee that it will or no guarantee that it wont but its worth a try. if a player has any aspiations of winning a joe ward under the current structure i dont think he should be booking a holiday in june 4/5 weeks before the start of the championship, i would nt call that serious commitment. monaghan changed there league structure this year to have different points awarded for different games with or without county players, there was outrage when it was brought in but most people in the county think it worked well this year. we in louth throw the toys out of the pram even when we try to introduce 2 star games never mind change a structure. if senior teams are not for this or not going to play in it i would like to see the gaels proposal for the leagues put in place as this was a bad idea, it would mean more games and should be against teams at similar level"
Your talking nonsense here, so grown men who train since December can't book a holiday in June, men with children by the way! So ya can't go in June because of a group match 4/5 weeks away. Stop will you. Can't go in July because championship starts, can't go in August or September either. So basically no holiday.good man, and also these men are from 2 different clubs, and both have won a Joe Ward so it shows your level of knowledge.
People don't like change in GAA your right cuz you know what, it changes too much, every couple of years there is drastic overhauls. I've seen the days where you got promoted in the league to 1a or 1b and that got you into Senior championship football, ive seen when there was just 2 groups with 6 teams in each. Ive seen the league change upon change, as with Championship.
And do you know what the common denominator is in all this change...Louth still never did any better.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 18/01/2019 10:07:37    2157949

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "Structures change all the time, how many different championship structures have we had over the years and i can remember when we changed from straight knockout we had the usual suspects saying it is a joke and its a bad thing. people just dont like change. if most of the people in the county never heard of this going to a vote then i think you should go back and have it out with your own club as this was issued to every club weeks before it went to a vote, if you did not know about this then maybe your own club is not being ran as it should, its up to your clubs to have the debate on this and then bring all the flaws to the co board meeting on monday night, if there is things that your club is not happy about or didnt know then vote no, why vote yes to something you dont know fully about, typical yes man attitude that is in every club. just to note i am not fully for this proposal i think it has its flaws and should have been brought in 2020 when a proper plan strcture was in place, but what i am for is change and trying to improve football in the county and the county team, there is no guaratee that it will or no guarantee that it wont but its worth a try. if a player has any aspiations of winning a joe ward under the current structure i dont think he should be booking a holiday in june 4/5 weeks before the start of the championship, i would nt call that serious commitment. monaghan changed there league structure this year to have different points awarded for different games with or without county players, there was outrage when it was brought in but most people in the county think it worked well this year. we in louth throw the toys out of the pram even when we try to introduce 2 star games never mind change a structure. if senior teams are not for this or not going to play in it i would like to see the gaels proposal for the leagues put in place as this was a bad idea, it would mean more games and should be against teams at similar level"
Not every fella who goes on Holidays goes and eats and drinks the whole time.

Family Holidays etc.....

Your post is ridiculous in that regards!

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 18/01/2019 10:47:21    2157964

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "Not every fella who goes on Holidays goes and eats and drinks the whole time.

Family Holidays etc.....

Your post is ridiculous in that regards!"
who mentioned food/drink? would wayne kierans allow a player or think its a good idead for a player to go on holidays 4/5 weeks away from championship? highly doubt it

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 11:47:10    2157975

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Your talking nonsense here, so grown men who train since December can't book a holiday in June, men with children by the way! So ya can't go in June because of a group match 4/5 weeks away. Stop will you. Can't go in July because championship starts, can't go in August or September either. So basically no holiday.good man, and also these men are from 2 different clubs, and both have won a Joe Ward so it shows your level of knowledge.
People don't like change in GAA your right cuz you know what, it changes too much, every couple of years there is drastic overhauls. I've seen the days where you got promoted in the league to 1a or 1b and that got you into Senior championship football, ive seen when there was just 2 groups with 6 teams in each. Ive seen the league change upon change, as with Championship.
And do you know what the common denominator is in all this change...Louth still never did any better."
whats wrong with april or may? might miss a league game or two. What do you suggest happens to improve football in the county? or just keep goin the way we are?

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 11:55:41    2157977

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Cameroosh to say that a fella going on holidays in June 4-5 weeks before the championship isn't taking it seriously is nonsense really. What if they go in the assigned holiday time (which many do)? Thats 3 weeks before a QF. Is that taking it serious? What if they wait for mid October to take one and risk missing a game in Leinster? Is that not being dedicated enough? Fact is that many lads go in May and June in order to put it behind them and focus on being around from July to focus on competing as best they can in the championship. When is a good time to go? If you went in late APril/early May last year you would risk missing 2 league games. I just don't get this logic."
April /May book it to when louth are playing you might miss a sheelan cup game at most if still competing in it, always excuses for everything. louth players have a ten day window before championship matches so no games on then, beginning of May whats wrong with this time??

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 12:01:24    2157979

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "April /May book it to when louth are playing you might miss a sheelan cup game at most if still competing in it, always excuses for everything. louth players have a ten day window before championship matches so no games on then, beginning of May whats wrong with this time??"
You cant take your kids out of school at end April/May (as its end of school year/exam time) to go on holidays!

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 18/01/2019 12:10:02    2157983

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "April /May book it to when louth are playing you might miss a sheelan cup game at most if still competing in it, always excuses for everything. louth players have a ten day window before championship matches so no games on then, beginning of May whats wrong with this time??"
You can't take kids out of school to go on holidays Ya header. Sure why not take the summer holidays in January, freezing cold on a beach in Portugal...ah wait can't miss pre season either....
Honestly do you play or have you played football at all?

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 18/01/2019 12:22:35    2157991

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "who mentioned food/drink? would wayne kierans allow a player or think its a good idead for a player to go on holidays 4/5 weeks away from championship? highly doubt it"
Allow a player? Who is Wayne Kierans, does he pay these guys wages? And your talking about county players here, they make the sacrifice and commitment willingly, that's a given to play county....im talking about the other 90 per cent of players that play CLUB football

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 18/01/2019 12:25:45    2157992

Link

A little calm is needed.
1. This cant go-ahead in 2019 and after senior clubs have there say it probably wont.

2. The Joe ward Senior Championship should only be competed by the 12 senior clubs winners represent Louth in Leinster.

3.If the reasoning behind this is for Junior/Intermediate clubs to be able to keep players that they have seen through from Nursery to senior then CO Board need to grow a set and tell the clubs poaching to COP ON.

4.All clubs are doing there best to achieve at the highest level possible to say there not is not a fair comment , underage doesn't always produce great adult players Blues have proven over the years that they come in peaks and troughs the lads they have now outside of Andy and Conor and Emmett I think are all blues from nursery to senior but there 2011 winning team didn't represent them well with half of the winning team never playing underage for them.So it can happen to the best of them.

5.A new competition of any sort needs to be organised at a much more professional level than a simple vote , structured amalgamations need to be proposed and agreed and a simple knockout format for the new Competition to see how it goes. Scrap winter leagues start league earlier and play the new competition when Louth are fixed for cship without Co Players for the first year to see how it runs then sit down and see if this is viable going forward.
6. This can never be placed above our SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP ever.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 90 - 18/01/2019 12:29:51    2157994

Link

Beginning of May? Or April and May in general...nothing wrong at all...except last year you would have missed at least 1 but possibly 2 league games...and this year, if the new nonsense goes ahead, you will miss your own clubs championship games. I know some players who could be in this position as they have booked holidays for this period expecting championships in July. Silly them for not having a crystal ball in front of them I suppose. Shouldn't have had kids or got married or have careers like teaching either.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 18/01/2019 12:35:58    2157996

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "whats wrong with april or may? might miss a league game or two. What do you suggest happens to improve football in the county? or just keep goin the way we are?"
As I said I'm not totally against this idea but not at expense of just ditching Joe Ward senior status away at a whim. Secondary championship yes.
The best way to improve county set ups is to plough every available resource into underage set ups. We need coaches, we have a training facility and thankfully soon a decent Stadium. Kids need to be inspired to play, you can't change the mentality of grown men too much but you can do wonders with kids. Louth needs a ten year plan and put everyrhing possible into it. We have next to no Fundraising at county level at all, no money to pump into youth set ups, in the last 2/3 years if you check the figures online we were I think in the bottom 5 of money spent. Leitrim and Carlow were ahead of us. Contrary to belief,money does help you win things

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 18/01/2019 12:36:46    2157997

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "whats wrong with april or may? might miss a league game or two. What do you suggest happens to improve football in the county? or just keep goin the way we are?"
Very simple...improve the level of coaching across the county. Why do people think that this new championship will serve as a magic bullet. You are talking about people being afraid of change and change is good. Not when the change suggests benefits that are not based on anything...its just what a few people in a room "reckon". A double round of league fixtures sounds like a good idea to me based on it working for some counties with similar populations. But I will admit that I am just "reckon"ing this and like anything, due diligence and research should be done to see if this works. And this was not done for this new proposal. It should have been because it is such a drastic shift in the status quo.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 18/01/2019 12:45:34    2157999

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Allow a player? Who is Wayne Kierans, does he pay these guys wages? And your talking about county players here, they make the sacrifice and commitment willingly, that's a given to play county....im talking about the other 90 per cent of players that play CLUB football"
it looks like your the fella who has never kicked a ball, a manager be it club or especially county wont tell a player when he can or cant go on holidays but what he will tell him is not to come back if he tips off on holidays a few weeks to championship. your making up things in your head your going mad, who mentioned portugal?? plenty of other places you can go on holidays that is hot in january but i reckon portugal wouldnt be freezing. So your saying parents follow the rules and dont take kids out of school for holidays? your having a laugh. i will make it easy for you how about they can book there holidays for the mid term break when the kids is off usually around april/may

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 13:58:23    2158018

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "it looks like your the fella who has never kicked a ball, a manager be it club or especially county wont tell a player when he can or cant go on holidays but what he will tell him is not to come back if he tips off on holidays a few weeks to championship. your making up things in your head your going mad, who mentioned portugal?? plenty of other places you can go on holidays that is hot in january but i reckon portugal wouldnt be freezing. So your saying parents follow the rules and dont take kids out of school for holidays? your having a laugh. i will make it easy for you how about they can book there holidays for the mid term break when the kids is off usually around april/may"
Kids have Junior/Leaving/College exams in May/June, you want them to be taken on holidays before that so the GAA club are happy FFS you couldnt make it up.

Its no wonder, more and more kids between 4-6 are playing soccer/rugby than GAA

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 844 - 18/01/2019 14:34:26    2158024

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Very simple...improve the level of coaching across the county. Why do people think that this new championship will serve as a magic bullet. You are talking about people being afraid of change and change is good. Not when the change suggests benefits that are not based on anything...its just what a few people in a room "reckon". A double round of league fixtures sounds like a good idea to me based on it working for some counties with similar populations. But I will admit that I am just "reckon"ing this and like anything, due diligence and research should be done to see if this works. And this was not done for this new proposal. It should have been because it is such a drastic shift in the status quo."
What due diligence or research suggests that this wont work or is not good for football in Louth?

cameroosh (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 18/01/2019 14:39:39    2158025

Link

Replying To cameroosh:  "What due diligence or research suggests that this wont work or is not good for football in Louth?"
Can you not see that you are flipping the question on its head? The burden of proof or at least an intelligent indication that it will work is one the people who stated these assumed benefits. Some of them you could probably prove..many you cant. And basing it on the Kerry model does not prove it because it is such a different county to Louth for many reasons.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 18/01/2019 16:32:24    2158049

Link