Louth Forum

New Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bennypoor:  "You still crying about the leagues big Fra it's 2019 now"
It was only last yearu lot got us put out of it as they weren't up to the challenge & now all of a sudden you want an even bigger challenge. You have the wrong jock there lad & I wouldn't call Fra big either.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 141 - 15/01/2019 18:42:14    2157394

Link

Your to easy mate its all about what suits your club at the moment never mind anyone else

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 326 - 15/01/2019 18:57:42    2157397

Link

This system has worked well in Kerry and Cork for many years . Dr Crokes a Killarney club are dominating at present but South Kerry and East Kerry would have won senior championships in recent years . There is circa 10 senior club teams and 7 divisional teams as they are called . This competition is the Kerry senior championship and if a divisional team wins it , it's the winners of the senior club only competition that represents Kerry in club football .
I feel people should give it a chance and try a change even if there could be teething problems .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 15/01/2019 19:18:33    2157406

Link

The majority of comments on here are a joke! Everybody giving out about the junior clubs etc for this being passed. EACH club were given the motion details weeks ago, nothing in the motion has changed since. The majority of clubs voted for and passed the motion, NOT only junior clubs. Obviously the MAJORITY of clubs are in favour of this!

Maybe each of you posters should firstly check with your club delegate to see what way your club voted last night, because more clubs voted YES than NO. If you feel it is such a bad motion, why only voice your opinion weeks after you got the motion!!

And some people saying that if the vote was held again tonight, that the result would be different. This has to be a joke. Nothing has changed in the motion for the vote to change and people should not know any more about the motion today than they did yesterday - everyone got the motion details, there was no secrets or surprises. If you think your club delegate would vote differently then i would advise you to go back to your club and ask why was the motion not discussed with players/committee etc. This is the REAL issue for alot of posters on here.

Some of the comments / podcasts are very negative .
Saying the cost of amalgamated teams is going to have huge expense because they have to buy jerseys etc - if the amalgamation cant afford jerseys then they will wear one of the clubs jerseys!
Saying that the all county championship wont improve the standard of football - so your saying that better players training together at a higher intensity (i.e. 3 or 4 amalgamated clubs) wont improve the quality of players?
Saying that it wont stop transfers - it will definitely reduce transfers to the bigger clubs (i.e. blues, marys, etc) because if a young fella see's the amalgamated team getting to a semi final / final of the all county championship they will feel they are playing a decent level and wont feel the need to transfer to the bigger clubs. In fact i think that the all county championship may result in players who have transferred to the bigger clubs in previous years transfer back to the smaller club, as the know they will get a crack at an all county champo.
Saying that players will be over stretched and drained, as there is so many competitions on at one time - you will have league, normal chamionship and then all county - no overlaps and no more fixtures than previously.
Saying that the intermediate/ junior clubs who win the championship wont have a game from July until October - once these clubs win the junior / intermediate championship (a) the junior team will amalgamate and play a HIGHER standard of football from July until October which will only improve the players and (b) one the intermediate champo winners win, they will play as a sole entity in the all county champo!

I do agree that the fact the winners of the Joe Ward may not represent louth in the leinster champo is wrong - this may need to be reviewed. However this is the one negitive. I really feel that all county champo will improve the standard and quality of football in Louth. The louth manager will be able to attend a all county competition with the best players on show in each game. Each game will be competitive. Like lets be honest, we are not getting this in the senior champo at the moment - it is very easy to pick the semi final line up at the start of the year.

We need to do something to improve the level and standard because our intercounty team is not improving and our Senior club champions have not made any strides in the leinster years.

Lets give it a go!

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 20:17:36    2157415

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "Tommie Durnin didn't put the jocks 2nd team to the sword so I wouldn't be worried about that.
The status quo of the DIV 3 teams was asked last year & they couldn't hack it v clubs 2nd teams because they where afraid of fringe senior players & now because Tommie might move on to a senior team these Div 3 clubs come up with this idea to stop players transferring to bigger clubs. This has gone the full circle now. But not surprised the Div 3 clubs always get what they want ! I wonder why ??"
.... because the club delegates, representing ALL clubs, voted it in? No?

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 20:26:12    2157419

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Great! Good for Baile Talun. Sure why then could you not just amalgamated these clubs and leave everyone else alone. You'd walk junior,be favourite s for inter the next year and possibly have a shot at JW withing 3 years. Instead, put a proposal together that the majority of players do not want. Will Drogheda teams play together? Dundalk teams? What about lads left with no football after May (or very little). Ah sure to hell with them?"
if the majority of players did not want it, why did the majority of clubs vote it in? Did you not consult your club delegate?

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 20:31:36    2157422

Link

Another note - for the club players that dont make the amalgamated squad for the all county championship - let these lads play in the respective Junior 2A, 2B, 2C championship with their club. This means they will have football, at the correct standard during the months of august, sept etc

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 20:54:36    2157431

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "if the majority of players did not want it, why did the majority of clubs vote it in? Did you not consult your club delegate?"
All you have to do is look at the reaction to this from a lot of players. Players like to concentrate on playing their ball and not having to worry about politics...plenty of time for that later. I know that my club voted against it. You say that there are negative comments and podcasts...if change the word negative to practical. So many questions that need to be answered. Why not give time to answer this and roll it out in 2020? Also players who play championship cannot play in junior 2 championship, so what do you propose the players not selected for the amalgamation do...twiddle their thumbs?

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 393 - 15/01/2019 22:02:50    2157449

Link

Woodenhead you must have been one of the people behind this proposal. You say let the players who don't make the amalgamation squad play junior 2 championship even thought most of them are probably ineligible due to previous participation in first team championship. For example let's say amalgamation is made up of 3 teams and the player ratio is equal from each club at 10 players each for a squad of 30. Club would use on average 20-25 players in there jun/int/sen championship depending on how far they got that would leave 10-15 players with no football for the remainder of the season. Also if that club won junior or inter championship them players would have to continue to train for a number of months with no games to remain fit for a Leinster game in October. They would subsequently lack the match sharpness required to complete at that level. Ridiculous idea in its current format.

Wtf (UK) - Posts: 26 - 15/01/2019 22:25:50    2157456

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "All you have to do is look at the reaction to this from a lot of players. Players like to concentrate on playing their ball and not having to worry about politics...plenty of time for that later. I know that my club voted against it. You say that there are negative comments and podcasts...if change the word negative to practical. So many questions that need to be answered. Why not give time to answer this and roll it out in 2020? Also players who play championship cannot play in junior 2 championship, so what do you propose the players not selected for the amalgamation do...twiddle their thumbs?"
'All you have to do is look at the reaction to this from a lot of players. Players like to concentrate on playing their ball and not having to worry about politics...plenty of time for that later.'
Well from the reaction on here and on other social media sites today it is 100% clear that players are not just concentrating on playing ball - they are interested in the politics!! From the reaction, it looks like each individual club did not discuss the motion internally prior to last nights vote. But the players cant start saying 'the county board should have consulted the players'.. this is up to the individual clubs to consult their own players and discuss the motion.

'So many questions that need to be answered. Why not give time to answer this and roll it out in 2020'
Again, I believe the motion was circulated weeks ago. If there was questions, why not bring them up before today? Like why was all of the social networks buzzing today? Why was there not all of these treads, tweets and podcasts before the meeting last night? Dont only start complaining after the motion has been passed when you could have been highlighting issues once the motion was circulated!
I do agree there are questions to be answered. But we have to start somewhere. It was highlighted in the motion that it was to be rolled out in 2019, so again this was no secret or surprise.

'Also players who play championship cannot play in junior 2 championship, so what do you propose the players not selected for the amalgamation do...twiddle their thumbs?'
No, my proposal is that these players are allowed play in the junior 2 championship. This would also increase the quality of this completion, which is positive.

It may take a year to iron out the kinks, but I think this is a positive step for louth football.

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 22:26:37    2157457

Link

People here saying we should vote again need their head examined, the motion has passed by a majority. We can't sit still the worst that can happen is it doesn't pan out and we revert to the previous system.

westyboy (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 15/01/2019 22:36:10    2157460

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "if the majority of players did not want it, why did the majority of clubs vote it in? Did you not consult your club delegate?"
Give it up lad it was railroaded in and snuck across the line. It's not even clear at this minute if what has been voted in will be possible. In terms of number of referees, champ venues and county officials. To condense all the J/I/S FC into the early summer is a huge task and leaves no redundancy. Its bad for players and also the neutral football fan as no longer will you be able to catch a junior and senior double header the weeks your clubs not playing as they are all on top of each other. I can't imagine the championship venue clubs will be interested in hosting two double headers in a weekend as it is volunteers who run our games. I'm not sure if the draw of this all star county championship will pull enough spectators to offset the loss of the neutral numbers at the Real championship. I.m really not looking forward to see some of the lads getting on in years who only have interest in bringing a bit of silverware into the primary school as good as finished there football for the year in July.
I fear we'll lose Gaelic footballers to other sports essentially we're after saying GAA in Louth is orientated around the elite.
I'd like to see votes like this become public. I know my club voted no but if lads seen today their club voted yes maybe it would spur lads on to ask why and get involved. There's some great opinions floating around the interweb today and serious passion for Louth gaa. I just hope that a fraction of it is being applied to the Clubs.
Democracy is a wonderful thing!

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 15/01/2019 22:55:17    2157465

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "The majority of comments on here are a joke! Everybody giving out about the junior clubs etc for this being passed. EACH club were given the motion details weeks ago, nothing in the motion has changed since. The majority of clubs voted for and passed the motion, NOT only junior clubs. Obviously the MAJORITY of clubs are in favour of this!

Maybe each of you posters should firstly check with your club delegate to see what way your club voted last night, because more clubs voted YES than NO. If you feel it is such a bad motion, why only voice your opinion weeks after you got the motion!!

And some people saying that if the vote was held again tonight, that the result would be different. This has to be a joke. Nothing has changed in the motion for the vote to change and people should not know any more about the motion today than they did yesterday - everyone got the motion details, there was no secrets or surprises. If you think your club delegate would vote differently then i would advise you to go back to your club and ask why was the motion not discussed with players/committee etc. This is the REAL issue for alot of posters on here.

Saying the cost of amalgamated teams is going to have huge expense because they have to buy jerseys etc - if the amalgamation cant afford jerseys then they will wear one of the clubs jerseys!
Saying that the all county championship wont improve the standard of football - so your saying that better players training together at a higher intensity (i.e. 3 or 4 amalgamated clubs) wont improve the quality of players?
Saying that it wont stop transfers - it will definitely reduce transfers to the bigger clubs (i.e. blues, marys, etc) because if a young fella see's the amalgamated team getting to a semi final / final of the all county championship they will feel they are playing a decent level and wont feel the need to transfer to the bigger clubs. In fact i think that the all county championship may result in players who have transferred to the bigger clubs in previous years transfer back to the smaller club, as the know they will get a crack at an all county champo.
Saying that players will be over stretched and drained, as there is so many competitions on at one time - you will have league, normal chamionship and then all county - no overlaps and no more fixtures than previously.
Saying that the intermediate/ junior clubs who win the championship wont have a game from July until October - once these clubs win the junior / intermediate championship (a) the junior team will amalgamate and play a HIGHER standard of football from July until October which will only improve the players and (b) one the intermediate champo winners win, they will play as a sole entity in the all county champo!

I do agree that the fact the winners of the Joe Ward may not represent louth in the leinster champo is wrong - this may need to be reviewed. However this is the one negitive. I really feel that all county champo will improve the standard and quality of football in Louth. The louth manager will be able to attend a all county competition with the best players on show in each game. Each game will be competitive. Like lets be honest, we are not getting this in the senior champo at the moment - it is very easy to pick the semi final line up at the start of the year.

We need to do something to improve the level and standard because our intercounty team is not improving and our Senior club champions have not made any strides in the leinster years.

Lets give it a go!"
It's the biggest sticking point for me. All of this is good for lower club teams to get a taste of better football. But a team that's represents Louth in senior Lenister should go through the original way, getting to the top table takes hard work and effort...not pity

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/01/2019 23:07:28    2157467

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "Another note - for the club players that dont make the amalgamated squad for the all county championship - let these lads play in the respective Junior 2A, 2B, 2C championship with their club. This means they will have football, at the correct standard during the months of august, sept etc"
Idiotic comment. Sure nobody knows when these games are on till the last minute, games called off as it is, these will be even more devalued now further down the pecking order played on a Wednesday night

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/01/2019 23:11:19    2157468

Link

It's funny the only forum where the result is being openly and bluntly supported is the anonymous one. Kind of says alot. Before you say it I am speaking the exact same way on all forums. You can't put the blame on other players and clubs Westerns, Glyde and Sean's created a motion and campaigned for it. Without even detailing out every aspect of how it works. This is the idea "man on the moon" someone else figure out the ins and outs of it. If it works we're the great fellas if not it was the lads detailing its fault. You can shift the blame yous made the bed unfortunately we must all lie in it.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 15/01/2019 23:14:45    2157469

Link

Replying To Wtf:  "Woodenhead you must have been one of the people behind this proposal. You say let the players who don't make the amalgamation squad play junior 2 championship even thought most of them are probably ineligible due to previous participation in first team championship. For example let's say amalgamation is made up of 3 teams and the player ratio is equal from each club at 10 players each for a squad of 30. Club would use on average 20-25 players in there jun/int/sen championship depending on how far they got that would leave 10-15 players with no football for the remainder of the season. Also if that club won junior or inter championship them players would have to continue to train for a number of months with no games to remain fit for a Leinster game in October. They would subsequently lack the match sharpness required to complete at that level. Ridiculous idea in its current format."
Im saying i propose to let these players play junior 2 champo. i.e. its a proposal.
I was not one of the people behind it. I am trying to come up with positive simple solutions to some of the negative comments/ issues that have been higjlighted.

Also the intermediate winners will play as a senior club in the all county champo. ie on their own. Your comments above dont apply for them.

For the junior club champo winners , all of their squad could train with the amalgamated team (benefit of intense training) with some players playing all county champo and remainder playing junior 2 champo. This might work. Again this is only a positive simple proposal to deal with yet another minor hurdle being made into a big issue.

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 23:20:11    2157470

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "The majority of comments on here are a joke! Everybody giving out about the junior clubs etc for this being passed. EACH club were given the motion details weeks ago, nothing in the motion has changed since. The majority of clubs voted for and passed the motion, NOT only junior clubs. Obviously the MAJORITY of clubs are in favour of this!

Lets give it a go!"
Do you really think the winner of junior or inter champ are going to break up there team and amalgamate so 5/6 of there players can play in the all star county championship? Not a chance. If it was me I'd take a nice break then go back training and looking for challenges. I'd also be seriously pissed off. Lack of build up and momentum for a team would really stifle Leinster run.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 15/01/2019 23:21:53    2157471

Link

Replying To westyboy:  "A lot teams running scared now that lads from mid Louth are going to break up the joe ward monopoly won by coastal teams, it's about time the status quo was challenged. I can see Tommie Durnin putting teams like the blues and dreadnotts to the sword"
He can't put junior midfielders never mind teams to the sword! What club was he going to just out of interest?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 15/01/2019 23:27:15    2157472

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Idiotic comment. Sure nobody knows when these games are on till the last minute, games called off as it is, these will be even more devalued now further down the pecking order played on a Wednesday night"
Why the negatively? The proposal is that these games are ran off the same time as the all county champo. Dont see how they would go down the pecking order if the standard of players is better and therefore overall quality improved?

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 15/01/2019 23:27:34    2157473

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "Tommie Durnin didn't put the jocks 2nd team to the sword so I wouldn't be worried about that.
The status quo of the DIV 3 teams was asked last year & they couldn't hack it v clubs 2nd teams because they where afraid of fringe senior players & now because Tommie might move on to a senior team these Div 3 clubs come up with this idea to stop players transferring to bigger clubs. This has gone the full circle now. But not surprised the Div 3 clubs always get what they want ! I wonder why ??"
Correct me if I'm wrong top dog there was only two votes against and one vote abstained last year to the reformation of Division 3 League. Hardly the same. What would have made the Senior and inter clubs who made up the 26 vote yes do you think? I'm assuming the jocks weren't one of these?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 15/01/2019 23:30:41    2157474

Link