Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Ouryear:  "Just a quick question. Anybody know how much the tickets are for the match."
€20 adults €15 students OAPs €5 u16s all tickets unreserved seating in the hogan stand

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 166 - 21/03/2019 11:56:19    2174151

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "All depends how the games in Division 3 fare out this weekend. If the Westmeath Offaly game has to be played to determine who is in the final then the Division 4 final will be played on the Saturday along with the Division 2 final. The Division 1 finals in both codes will be played on the Sunday. The Division 4 final will not be moved away from Croke Park."
So effectively they are holding out in the hope that Galway will be in both hurling and football finals and play them as a double header on the Sunday?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 166 - 21/03/2019 11:58:50    2174152

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "So effectively they are holding out in the hope that Galway will be in both hurling and football finals and play them as a double header on the Sunday?"
Yes that is the idea behind it. All will be known on Monday morning.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 21/03/2019 13:27:11    2174184

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "€20 adults €15 students OAPs €5 u16s all tickets unreserved seating in the hogan stand"
cheers

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 21/03/2019 14:03:19    2174193

Link

Few things from Celtic Park the other night. Wouldn't get to hung up on the result and we did rally at one point in the second half which was a positive. Outside of that though it was a poor performance. Good to get game time into a few returning players. And to only be down a point at half time with so many players making debuts is a real positive.
Find it very hard to understand how Gary Reynolds wasn't started or given proper game time we're already playing Mark Plunkett out of position so to not try out someone else here was strange? Hard to understand was how we're left in a scenario were Plunkett actually finished at full back on Saturday. We surely needed to see if Reynolds is still good enough or not?
We badly struggled in the middle third. Derry are physically imposing around the middle third so it'll have to be an area we target in 2 weeks.
Darragh Rooney had an excellent first half. But overall it's hard to judge to much on the game as Derry were dominant and we were missing so many. Thought Oisin Madden did his chances no harm.

Here's what I would go with on Saturday.

McCrann
Flynn McTague M.McWeeney
Madden Reynolds Mulvey
McGovern
Cullen
McGloin Rooney Heslin
Mulligan G.Plunkett Sweeney

No point in picking a defensive team against Waterford. Would be good to get more game time into Fergal McTague and Madden. And Rest McKiernan, Quinn, S. McWeeney, Maguire, Moran, Mark Plunkett, Flynn and O'Rourke.

Still loads of talent in that team which shows our depth this year. Heslin probably needs game time but it is said he's doing full training for the last few weeks but they were just holding him back.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 145 - 21/03/2019 14:15:47    2174199

Link

Must say I like 'OnTheBanks' team for the game against Waterford. But the risk of injury worries me.

Very undecided personally on how we should approach this game. Do we try and give squad players another chance to impress or do we put out a full team in an effort to gain more confidence and pray we don't pick up injuries? With the way the surface is in Pairc Sean I'd be worried about injuries. From what I can see Shane Moran, Mark Plunkett, Shane Quinn and Aidan Flynn have played all the games so I'd give them a rest this weekend.

I also want to see if McTague is back to his best yet, same goes for Oisin Madden. Dean McGovern has been poor since the Mayo game so he needs to play himself into contention. Is Flanagan still injured since before the Limerick game. Would have been good to see what he would bring.

Agree that we should not be defensive. A Big win would give everyone's confidence a boost going for Croker.

Not sure what to do with Jack Heslin, feel he could be our Key Player in Croker with his pace but his history of Hamstring injuries worries me especially with the sod in Carrick. But does he need game time to be sharp? Maybe a second half appearance would be enough.

McCrann
Reynolds McTague (Michael) McWeeney
Madden Reynolds (Nicholas)McWeeney
McGovern
Cullen
McGloin Rooney Domhnail Flynn
Sweeney Mulligan (G)Plunkett

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 21/03/2019 15:59:29    2174225

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "So effectively they are holding out in the hope that Galway will be in both hurling and football finals and play them as a double header on the Sunday?"
Hurling national league finals are not played in croke park as far as i know.

All hurling championship cup finals are played in croker, Christy ring cup final, lory Meagher final, Liam mc Cathy final (obviously) anyway in that way all counties hurling wise get a fair crack at playing a final in croker so the gaa do not extend it to the national league finals ( IMO that's fair enough)

Football wise - every county plays for the Sam Maguire cup so the gas open up all national league to aid to be played in croker to give every county a fair crack at playing in croke park. Add that to all senior , intermediate and junior club finals played in croker then all club players are given a chance to play at HQ. In all the GAA are giving everyone the chance to play there. This year we get to play there, and we will.

The hurling division 1 final won't be at croker (stand to be corrected but I don't believe it is ever at HQ) but it will be on the same weekend. This poses a problem for TG4 who may be obliged to show the hurling div 1 final and all NFL division finals live, a fixtures headache but a minor one

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 436 - 21/03/2019 21:50:32    2174274

Link

I think Terry Fyland will prob start his weaker team again this weekend as he did last weekend and maybe introduce some of the starting players for Croker later in the game to both keep them fresh and also give them game time to keep them sharp but doubt he will give them the seventy minutes. So I would think you could see the likes of McCrann, Mulligan, Reynolds maybe etc again on Saturday as they won't start in Croker. Only my opinion.............what do ye think???

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 22/03/2019 10:16:37    2174325

Link

All reports are indicating that the football and hurling division 1 finals will be in Croke Park as a double header on Sunday seeing as Dublin haven't qualified for the football.

Chance of a triple header then on Saturday depending on what happens in Division 3

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 22/03/2019 12:38:40    2174354

Link

Replying To tashy:  "I think Terry Fyland will prob start his weaker team again this weekend as he did last weekend and maybe introduce some of the starting players for Croker later in the game to both keep them fresh and also give them game time to keep them sharp but doubt he will give them the seventy minutes. So I would think you could see the likes of McCrann, Mulligan, Reynolds maybe etc again on Saturday as they won't start in Croker. Only my opinion.............what do ye think???"
Tashy, looks like you're spot on.

Aside from rotation, I do think it's still important to beat Waterford. It would be a pity, and a bit worrying, to go to Croke Park on the back of two defeats. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 131 - 22/03/2019 15:51:18    2174394

Link

Good win today lads.Terry has a few big calls to make selection wise for next week.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 160 - 23/03/2019 22:26:43    2174597

Link

Great win out of ye today; well done lads!

Keep her lit!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2753 - 24/03/2019 00:40:32    2174609

Link

Would be very worried about the amount of goal chances Waterford created considering most of our first choice defence and our sweeper played. Derry won't miss that many.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 24/03/2019 07:25:09    2174617

Link

Good win yesterday , 6 wins out of 7 is easily the best league campaign I ever remember us having and it's good to be going into next weekends final on the back of a win. Terry Hyland has a few big calls to make in selecting his team as the likes of Cathal McCrann, Conor Cullen, Conor Reynolds and Emlyn all put their hands up for selection yesterday with excellent displays, Jack Heslin was very rusty after his lay off but he will have a big part to play next Saturday as his pace and running will be suited to croker , our panel is very strong this year which is very important. My big worry is the amount of goal chances we gave up , only for Cathal Waterford would have got 5 goals and they ran through the centre of our defence far too easily. We need to be much tighter as Derry will exploit this in the wide open spaces of croke park as they have better forwards that Waterford. Congratulations to the team and management on a great campaign and enjoy Croke Park (promotion was our main aim and thats been achieved, so the pressure is off so lets perform to the level this talented team is capable of), Derry will be tough but If we play to our best we'll be there or thereabouts at the end. Wouldn't seeing Michael McWeeney lift the cup in the Hogan stand be something else?? The very best of luck lads.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 24/03/2019 08:34:56    2174623

Link

I've said it here before it's a weird sensation coming on here after scoring 1-20 yes I repeat 1-20, winning and not being overly satisfied. All the while resting some of our key players.

Before the New York game last year when management were forced into begging players into joining the panel I don't think there's to many people who could have foreseen where we would be promoted into Div 3 with only one loss.
Nothing can be said about yesterday's game without highlighting how much of a dead-rubber it was. Played at a challenge game intensity and Waterford were extremely poor and seemed disinterested at times. That being said we have a serious issue when team use the runner of the shoulder through the middle. This is why I think Terry is going to really pack the middle in the first-half in Crokerand hope that our impact subs can do dame when space opens up in the second.

Nonetheless, it turned out to be very useful. Ryan O'Rourke was back in the groove twisting and turning and leaving defenders for dead. Emlyn Mulligan showed that once he has the sufficient space and time he's still the best striker of the ball in Leitrim. Time and space being key though. Conor Cullen was the real plus of the day. He was excellent. Now, he's not ready to start but in another year or so he could become a crucial player if he has the dedication, which is said to be the question mark with him. He's tall a lovely striker of the ball and confident. He's far to light though and made a few stupid mistakes but given more game time he is a serious option as a substitute.

Pearce Dolan was also excellent yesterday. Started at 14 but drifted around the pitch which suited him. Ray Mulvey was class and kicked 2 brilliant scores but like he does every game he had one stupid wide. Oisin Madden was quiet but dependable. Conor Reynolds has no problem getting stuck in and has been a real find this year.

Great to get game time into Jack Heslin aswell. Will be interesting to see how he is used next week. Thought it was strange not to use Fergal McTague atall? It's said he is fit so not to give him game time before next week was a strange one.

Even Niall Brady and Cathal McCauley who have seen no game time and probably won't see game time again this year came on and kicked 2 brilliant scores. Should give them great confidence going forward.
It's not how I would pick the team but I think there's probably 14 positions sown up for next weekend.

McKiernan
Paddy M.McWeeney Flynn
S.McWeeney Plunkett Mulvey
Moran
McGovern
Quinn Flynn (Blank*)
Sweeney Dolan O'Rourke

I think this is how they will line up with one position on the half-forward line left open to see if Jack Heslin is ready. With Emlyn Mulligan, Gary Plunkett and Darragh Rooney all vying for it if Heslin doesn't start.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 145 - 24/03/2019 10:33:56    2174644

Link

Eddie 1here

Great day yesterday.

The Leitrim supporters were leaving early as the game was won. We never saw that before , they left early many times before as the games were lost

We tried to book a room for Friday night in the city to get into the swing of things.
There is not a room to be got. Not even a bed-sit.
So herself was trying to book the train for Saturday morning
Fully booked -no chance.
She is seeking alternatives . If all the buses are full you might see old stagers hitching a lift.
You wont mistake us on the road . We will have a sign- 'take us to heaven'
Don't leave us behind as we don't want to miss it.

Hook or by crook we will see you in Croker

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 24/03/2019 12:37:25    2174674

Link

A decent performance from Leitrim yesterday. And some players played above their usual performances but the team that beat London should be the one that starts the final, Derry will be a different basht to Watersfjord. This isn't the time for experimentation, go with the team that got us there in the first place. Sentimentality won't win us the title

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 24/03/2019 14:45:35    2174697

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A decent performance from Leitrim yesterday. And some players played above their usual performances but the team that beat London should be the one that starts the final, Derry will be a different basht to Watersfjord. This isn't the time for experimentation, go with the team that got us there in the first place. Sentimentality won't win us the title"
Lord bless us. London are on course to finish bottom of division 4 and we beat them by five points. Can you add some sort of decent analysis instead of the vitriol that you have kept up on here for the last few years.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 13 - 24/03/2019 15:06:38    2174701

Link

Replying To FatRef:  "Lord bless us. London are on course to finish bottom of division 4 and we beat them by five points. Can you add some sort of decent analysis instead of the vitriol that you have kept up on here for the last few years."
My point was the team that played London was the team that had been playing in most of the games previous, so therefore that team should be picked for our final fatref. Very little vitriol coming from my direction, no idear what you're on about. I said it was a good result isn't it.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 24/03/2019 15:58:31    2174729

Link

So am I right in thinking the NFL Div 4 final will go ahead at 3pm on Saturday with the Div 2 Final to follow?

Chipstix (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 24/03/2019 17:21:47    2174790

Link