Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Not sure why you went through all the permutations ABV. We need one point from our last 3 games. If we don't manage that, we don't deserve to go up

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 03/03/2019 00:03:19    2169576

Link

Today is arguably the most important Leitrim game in years. Hopefully we pack out Paric Sean and get the boys over the line. Huge credit to Terry his management team and most importantly the players. I was delighted when Terry was appointed and was confident he'd get us out of div 4 next year but to get us out a year early is a tremendous achievement. He has put pride back into the jersey.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 03/03/2019 08:52:43    2169600

Link

Let's get the business done today and the next two can be used as game time for fringe players. I think Terry will have the lads pumped for today and there should be a huge crowd there although I expect a few RTE cameras there so I hope the occasion doesn't get to the lads. As we seen yesterday anyone can beat anyone in the league so we don't want t it coming down to the Waterford game. Up Leitrim

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 03/03/2019 08:53:21    2169601

Link

Well done lads. Great achievement by the players and management. Ok today's performance was difficult to watch at times but we got the win and now we can try out a few players in the next 2 rounds.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 03/03/2019 15:50:22    2169718

Link

Well done to Terry, the selectors, backroom team and especially the players. What an achievement. Every year we enter the league we talk about the importance of getting out of division 4, apart from 2009 (I think), we were nowhere near achieving it. This year we have the players, the manager and that self believe to never give up. Having a bench with the likes of darragh Rooney, damien Moran, Emlyn Milligan bodes well for leitrim. Not to mention the extended squad that are pushing for places on the match day panel. We should have no fear going 4o croker, it's a once off game, one we are more than capable of winning (why not be positive). Today wasn't pretty viewing at times but who cares, the pitch didn't help, London slowed the pace of the game. To their credit they do have some decent players though. Their number 9, 11, 20 stood out imo.

LM4SAM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 03/03/2019 20:20:08    2169857

Link

Well done Leitrim. Keep up the good work

roses (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 03/03/2019 20:32:49    2169872

Link

I knew back last year that when I said Terry Hyland was the man for Leitrim that he'd come good. Leitrim will go far with Terry at the helm and if this crop of players stick about. I think we are good enough to hold our own in Division 3 next year as well.

Up Leitrim!

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 03/03/2019 21:09:00    2169891

Link

Congratulations Letrim well deserved

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 402 - 03/03/2019 21:23:23    2169895

Link

At the outset, having been an anti-Terry I'm prepared to revoke my views and say well done to him and his team.
That out of the way, the fullest of credit to the players and panellists involved.
These batch need very little change - they've committed, grafted and gained their deserved rewards. There'll be punters on here promoting their pets, this must be resisted. Players that are in form - play. Simples.

Comhgairdeas Terry abuse an foireann.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 631 - 03/03/2019 21:35:00    2169907

Link

Replying To Boxtyeater:  "At the outset, having been an anti-Terry I'm prepared to revoke my views and say well done to him and his team.
That out of the way, the fullest of credit to the players and panellists involved.
These batch need very little change - they've committed, grafted and gained their deserved rewards. There'll be punters on here promoting their pets, this must be resisted. Players that are in form - play. Simples.

Comhgairdeas Terry abuse an foireann."
Will we able for Roscommon in The Hyde in May?

1969LEITRIM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 03/03/2019 21:56:56    2169914

Link

Congratulations to Leitrim on winning promotion, super achievement after so long down, enjoy the next few weeks and yere day out in croker.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 03/03/2019 22:00:01    2169915

Link

Well done Leitrim. Delighted for you as are all Carlovians.
You won't be out of your depth in Div 3 next year. Every team capable of beating one another.
Hopefully we will finish well and be there with you next year.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 03/03/2019 22:50:04    2169932

Link

Congrats to ye lads. I sensed when Terry went there he'd get the whole thing pulled together. He's a top manager and very under rated, even in his home county. No reason he cannot win the final now. Good luck to yis.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1229 - 03/03/2019 23:35:34    2169942

Link

Great stuff Leitrim, always nice to see one of our usual fellow strugglers in Div 4 escape it, like we did last year. 5 from 5 is seriously impressive. Enjoy Croker, it's been far too long since ye played there.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1101 - 04/03/2019 00:33:47    2169954

Link

A huge well done to team and management they have lifted the spirt of leitrim gaa supporters. I'll prob be criticised for what I'm about to say but I think an element of thanks has to also go to last years managment team who blooded in a lot of younger lads to championship football last year and the result in New York and Louth gave these lads the confidence they needed to push on this year. I have no doubt this years managment team moved things on considerably but last year finished on a positive note with the Monaghan performance and maybe it has snowballed from that. The likes of McKiernan, Plunketts, o Rourke, d.rooney, Mcgloin, McGovern, A. flynn, D, Flynn, all made championship debuts under the previous managment they were some of the main players to get us promoted along with more expirenced lads.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 04/03/2019 01:05:30    2169957

Link

Replying To 1969LEITRIM:  "Will we able for Roscommon in The Hyde in May?"
Considering how close they ran the Dubs yesterday and they have tightened u p the defence further I'd sa yg we won't come within ten points but who cares the league final is now our Championship. The pressure is off and hopefully now lads can get game time to be in contention for the final. I don't think we have had our best 15 playing yet and it's clear if we play like we did yesterday Derry will tear us apart. I know the weigh tg of expectation was on us the big crowd and RTE in town but yesterday at times we were terrible. Defensively looked ok but transitioning into stack we are poor and our kick passing inside is very poor like a good play maker on the half forward line will bring the inside forwards into the game a lot more.

Again I don't think the sweeper is working as it should maybe it's a lack of pace but I think he should be the link from defence into attack but from what I have seen he doesn't do this. The Derry game should be a good opportunity to give Cullen, Mulligan, Mc Gloin, Mc Crann, and hopefully a few injured lads returning some game time.

We are up now anyway so well done lads it's great to come on here and highlight areas we could improve going forward rather than the doom and gloom that has been about the last 10 years. There was a great crowd in Carrick yesterday I expect us to fill Croker in a few weeks time

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 04/03/2019 09:12:24    2169986

Link

Proud Leitrim man today. Not many occasions I've got to say that. Was a horrible performance against London but all the better. So much to improve on before the final, which is a great position to be in.

It's not many days Leitrim will play being massive favourites and with all eyes on them with an expectant Leitrim crowd. Seems to have got to a few players. O'Rourke had a day to forget but thankfully we no they are few and far between with him.

I thought Paddy was outstanding again. His performances rarely drop below an 8/10. Michael McWeeney also got the better of his man. Mark Plunkett was brilliant defending where he ripped London players from the ball and won turn overs numerous times but strangely going forward he was poor which like O'Rourke won't happen all to often. Quinn and Mulvey are both incredible athletes and improving every game.

Was disappointed they never showed Gary Plunketts spectacular point from under the old stand in the first half on the Sunday Game. Couldn't have been many better points kicked yesterday and I'm not sure if I've seen many better points in Pairc Sean.

Thought our kickout strategy was poor which put us under a lot of needless pressure at times. Will be interesting to see how McCrann does over the next two games.

Frustratingly, and it's through our own tactics at times we lack any player on the half forward line and the gap then between where we build attacks in our defence is too big to our Full Forward line. At times although he kicked a brilliant free Domhnaill Flynn was to lateral or conservative in his passes which allowed London to get bodies behind the ball.

Was good to hear on the radio on the way home that Fergal McTagues Hamstring isn't as bad as first feared and will be in contention by the Waterford game and that Oisin Madden, Noel Plunkett and Jack Heslin will be back for Croke Park. We're missing Heslin in particular. When he's not playing you start to understand why his pace is so important to this team.

After the 'Leitrim wall' is complete Pairc Sean's pitch just has to be redone! It's not up for debate anymore! Look at Roscommon and Cavan with how well their pitches are since they completed them. Would be great if they could somehow have it done for Division 3. Although, financially, I understand that probably won't happen.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 04/03/2019 09:23:07    2169988

Link

Can you buy the Leitrim away jersey anywhere. It's a lovely jersey.

Well done on promotion.

MickyThePost (Donegal) - Posts: 19 - 04/03/2019 11:43:40    2170048

Link

Coverage on the Sunday Game was a bit disappointing. Waffle on for about 20 minutes about water logged pitches, and the show only 2 or 3 scores from our game, followed by the usual condescending talk from McStay and the likes. We don't get our name in the headlines very often so when we do - and considering RTE sent cameras to the game - it wouldve been nice to get a bit of meaningful coverage and analysis.

But fantastic to win the game and get up, it's a great lift to the county and congrats to all the management and players. Between this and the Lory Meagher 2017 team we're barely ever out of Croke Park these days.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 04/03/2019 12:30:18    2170067

Link

Replying To MagnumPIG:  "Coverage on the Sunday Game was a bit disappointing. Waffle on for about 20 minutes about water logged pitches, and the show only 2 or 3 scores from our game, followed by the usual condescending talk from McStay and the likes. We don't get our name in the headlines very often so when we do - and considering RTE sent cameras to the game - it wouldve been nice to get a bit of meaningful coverage and analysis.

But fantastic to win the game and get up, it's a great lift to the county and congrats to all the management and players. Between this and the Lory Meagher 2017 team we're barely ever out of Croke Park these days."
I would normally agree however the game yesterday was so dire that the less they showed the better for everyone. It was very flat throughout.
I think Mc Stay was right though it's important now we maintain the division 3 status rather than yoyo down again. We have a young squad so there is lots of room for improvement.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 04/03/2019 13:37:28    2170105

Link