Down Forum

Down Senior Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When does the christy ring kick off

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 250 - 28/04/2019 09:41:47    2180624

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "When does the christy ring kick off"
Same arrangements as the last time you asked.....

LReplying To crannumber2: "When christy ring kick off"
Down v Derry 12 May
Wicklow v Down 19 May
Donegal v Down 2 June
SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 8 - 16/03/2019 09:42:14 2172523

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 549 - 28/04/2019 16:49:24    2180679

Link

Match moved from McKenna to Portaferry on Saturday, will it make much of a difference?

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 68 - 07/05/2019 18:32:37    2182351

Link

Dont think it would matter if they moved it to windsor park,sure i heard they arent training this week,are u out there paudie!!!!!!

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 250 - 07/05/2019 21:59:48    2182380

Link

Strong Down team today. Good spine to it & nice sprinkling of pace around the wings. Down by 5!

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 140 - 11/05/2019 07:30:04    2183049

Link

I see the move from McKenna to Portaferry worked a treat, for Derry anyway. Derry made much better use of the extra space afforded to them in the forward line, maybe a large pitch doesn't suit these players after all.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 68 - 11/05/2019 16:44:48    2183113

Link

Should have went to windsor,wonder what excuse paudie will have this time

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 250 - 11/05/2019 17:52:19    2183116

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "Strong Down team today. Good spine to it & nice sprinkling of pace around the wings. Down by 5!"
Super result for down today done very well hold Derry to 7 8 points win.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 190 - 11/05/2019 21:17:04    2183157

Link

There's a few boy just there for the free gear never seen worse in my life

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 34 - 11/05/2019 21:29:30    2183168

Link

Down poor, quite a few of the Down squad exposed for what they are .......intermediate players. 14 wides in the first half ......inexcusable! Playing the spare man in the full back line ......bad management. Easy goals for Derry.......inexcusable. some lads not as good as they think they are,

cahill (None) - Posts: 2497 - 11/05/2019 21:44:22    2183180

Link

Where is paudie???? Defend urself man

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 250 - 12/05/2019 06:49:22    2183223

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Where is paudie???? Defend urself man"
Maybe you should ask the Cran number 1? He was responsible for two of the goals and pucked every ball in the first half up the right wing and put at least ten of them straight out of play. Didn't give the forwards a chance.

Maybe if Cran would buy into the county and stop organising training to clash with county training that might also help.

For county champions there is an under representation on the county panel. Look at your own clubs commitment before pointing the finger at management.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 12/05/2019 10:47:14    2183244

Link

Where is paudie???

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 250 - 12/05/2019 18:17:37    2183325

Link

Replying To pmack:  "Maybe you should ask the Cran number 1? He was responsible for two of the goals and pucked every ball in the first half up the right wing and put at least ten of them straight out of play. Didn't give the forwards a chance.

Maybe if Cran would buy into the county and stop organising training to clash with county training that might also help.

For county champions there is an under representation on the county panel. Look at your own clubs commitment before pointing the finger at management."
I think you'll find it was 2 Portaferry men were responsible for 2 of the goals, both badly misjudged balls over their head. Our lads gave great service to the county setup for many years however many of them are now approaching or in their 30's and have young families to look after, travelling across to Newry a few nights a week during the winter wouldn't appeal and understandably so. Lads are free to play with the county if they wish, we have 5 lads on the squad so having training on the same night isn't an issue. The management made a miscalculation by moving the match to the bigger pitch, which suited Derry much better, but overall the Down players just aren't good enough to handle a team like Derry.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 68 - 12/05/2019 19:01:55    2183349

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "I think you'll find it was 2 Portaferry men were responsible for 2 of the goals, both badly misjudged balls over their head. Our lads gave great service to the county setup for many years however many of them are now approaching or in their 30's and have young families to look after, travelling across to Newry a few nights a week during the winter wouldn't appeal and understandably so. Lads are free to play with the county if they wish, we have 5 lads on the squad so having training on the same night isn't an issue. The management made a miscalculation by moving the match to the bigger pitch, which suited Derry much better, but overall the Down players just aren't good enough to handle a team like Derry."
Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.
Their commitment over the years should not be questioned on an internet forum by those who probably never gave those levels of commitment during their playing days.

Start with the club, you finish with the club.

I'd not be too hard on Paudie as I genuinely don't think (well I know) the players are there to compete with a physically dominant Derry team who can hurl as well.

BUT come see a few Antrim league club games as see what is actually available to you in a competitive environment.

We'll do well to avoid relegation this year.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2323 - 13/05/2019 13:30:14    2183644

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.
Their commitment over the years should not be questioned on an internet forum by those who probably never gave those levels of commitment during their playing days.

I'd not be too hard on Paudie as I genuinely don't think (well I know) the players are there to compete with a physically dominant Derry team who can hurl as well.

BUT come see a few Antrim league club games as see what is actually available to you in a competitive environment.

We'll do well to avoid relegation this year."
Agree with Bricktop but likewise the management shouldn't be vilified either by an off performance either. Internet forum not the place for management to answer to anonymous people.

The players there are the best in the county who have made themselves available and put the training in, some more than others.

I hope the management team stay for the three years and build on what they have.

You don't need to play in a senior club to be good enough to play county hurling. Look at the Kilkenny team. Many lower division players ie. DJ Carey, Tommy Walsh, Padraig Walsh.

The sad fact is that the County team is at best intermediate standard and that includes the Ards senior club players. The Mc Crickards and Mc Manus from Liatroim would start on all of the Ards teams so to say that intermediate players aren't good enough is wrong. They all are at the same level.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 13/05/2019 16:53:46    2183726

Link

Replying To pmack:  "
Replying To bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.

Agree with Bricktop but likewise the management shouldn't be vilified either by an off performance either. Internet forum not the place for management to answer to anonymous people.

The players there are the best in the county who have made themselves available and put the training in, some more than others.

I hope the management team stay for the three years and build on what they have.

You don't need to play in a senior club to be good enough to play county hurling. Look at the Kilkenny team. Many lower division players ie. DJ Carey, Tommy Walsh, Padraig Walsh.

The sad fact is that the County team is at best intermediate standard and that includes the Ards senior club players. The Mc Crickards and Mc Manus from Liatroim would start on all of the Ards teams so to say that intermediate players aren't good enough is wrong. They all are at the same level."
Absolute nonsense the mccrickards and mc manus definitely would not stat for any of the 3 teams they would be squad players at best that's not being nasty that's being honest

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 34 - 13/05/2019 17:04:57    2183731

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "
Replying To pmack:  "[quote=bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.

The sad fact is that the County team is at best intermediate standard and that includes the Ards senior club players. The Mc Crickards and Mc Manus from Liatroim would start on all of the Ards teams so to say that intermediate players aren't good enough is wrong. They all are at the same level."
Absolute nonsense the mccrickards and mc manus definitely would not stat for any of the 3 teams they would be squad players at best that's not being nasty that's being honest"]Are you for real, they would walk on to any team in Down - get off your high horse, all hurling in Down is utter rubbish, fourth rate and getting worse.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 205 - 13/05/2019 21:13:11    2183818

Link

They'd definitely get on the Ballygalget team, that's for sure.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2323 - 14/05/2019 13:20:24    2183962

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "
Replying To Therealnumer1:  "[quote=pmack:  "[quote=bricktop:  "Lads do their stint with the county and move on and as you say most have young families and that's where their priorities lie.

Absolute nonsense the mccrickards and mc manus definitely would not stat for any of the 3 teams they would be squad players at best that's not being nasty that's being honest"]Are you for real, they would walk on to any team in Down - get off your high horse, all hurling in Down is utter rubbish, fourth rate and getting worse."]High horse you on drugs there's half a dozen minors better than them playing in the ards they would be very good 3rds players average intermediate players that's being honest

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 34 - 14/05/2019 14:28:39    2183988

Link