Down Forum

Down Senior Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cranfanatic:  "You have completely missed the point I was making. Yes I agree that the bigger pitch suits our players better, it always has these past few years after losing a presence like Magic and playing with pace in the forward line. However, the bigger advantage to these players will come from the much increased support that they will have from playing in the Ards. In the past 5 years between League and Christy Ring Matches, Down have played 18 games in the Ards (17 in McKenna, 1 in Portaferry) and won 15 of them. I think in the same time period they played 2 in Newry, and won 1 of them. Including this year against a distinctly average Derry team. Down could go out this weekend in McKenna and get turned over by Donegal and I could look like an idiot, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the players would prefer a bit of a tighter pitch and a lot more support than what they would enjoy in Newry."
The team won in Warwickshire with no support and I have be reliably informed by a Cran man that the only support at Aughrim was Mc Manus from Liatroims da and he's an Antrim man.

The support at the last number of matches in the Ards is limited to family members.

If you are such a big fan why were you not in Aughrim?

You give as much as any to the players as possible and a small crowd in Ballycran has little or no impact on the players.

They would much prefer to play in a proper county ground. It is county hurling after all.

PS. The county team is called Down, not Ards so all county matches should be played in the county ground in all codes, no exceptions.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 18/02/2019 20:04:50    2166218

Link

Replying To pmack:  "The team won in Warwickshire with no support and I have be reliably informed by a Cran man that the only support at Aughrim was Mc Manus from Liatroims da and he's an Antrim man.

The support at the last number of matches in the Ards is limited to family members.

If you are such a big fan why were you not in Aughrim?

You give as much as any to the players as possible and a small crowd in Ballycran has little or no impact on the players.

They would much prefer to play in a proper county ground. It is county hurling after all.

PS. The county team is called Down, not Ards so all county matches should be played in the county ground in all codes, no exceptions."
Pmac I was at Downs 3 games before Warwickshire and tbh there are South down players on that team tat are nay good enough. They are no county players. It was obvious tat they don't play senior club.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2498 - 18/02/2019 20:53:19    2166228

Link

Down hurling started to decline in 2005...this is the year the CB decided to start promoting the game on the mainland, by playing an important christy ring match against westmeath in Newry. Down lost that day, where a victory would have eliminated westmeath. Down lost the final to westmeath that year...and started the decline.

Long_John (Down) - Posts: 299 - 19/02/2019 08:48:32    2166282

Link

Replying To Long_John:  "Down hurling started to decline in 2005...this is the year the CB decided to start promoting the game on the mainland, by playing an important christy ring match against westmeath in Newry. Down lost that day, where a victory would have eliminated westmeath. Down lost the final to westmeath that year...and started the decline."
Long John not sure that's the reason we are where we are if you look at the Antrim league tables since around then I'd say you'll may find reasons as before ards clubs where top table team finishes also numbers in the ards are not the same either one game didn't cause the problem

ianog (Down) - Posts: 395 - 19/02/2019 10:25:21    2166303

Link

Hurley now in Newry on Sunday.

Heinz1 (Down) - Posts: 3 - 19/02/2019 13:41:11    2166358

Link

Replying To cahill:  "Pmac I was at Downs 3 games before Warwickshire and tbh there are South down players on that team tat are nay good enough. They are no county players. It was obvious tat they don't play senior club."
The top scorers on the team are both non Ards players.

Nothing to do with your club. Attitude and commitment is the answer.

The narrow minded Ards approach of 90's style hurling is the reason for the decline. The 'we know better than you' attitude has meant that the hurling has been left behind.

As was evident against Derry, if the Ards players would pass the ball Down would have won that day but the them and us attitude from the Ards is killing Down hurling.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 19/02/2019 18:19:02    2166420

Link

Replying To pmack:  "The top scorers on the team are both non Ards players.

The narrow minded Ards approach of 90's style hurling is the reason for the decline. The 'we know better than you' attitude has meant that the hurling has been left behind.

As was evident against Derry, if the Ards players would pass the ball Down would have won that day but the them and us attitude from the Ards is killing Down hurling."
Pmack get a grip of yourself all the problems stem from the ards the time to leave us off but then had hardly get enough to do anything the minute a fist ball match is called

ianog (Down) - Posts: 395 - 19/02/2019 18:58:51    2166431

Link

Dinny believe you posted that Pmack. Obviously you went at the Derry game. If the players from the intermediate teams had conigs yes they woulda won. When Jordanstown and Derry wanted to mix it there was a lot of your mates not to be found.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2498 - 19/02/2019 20:26:13    2166448

Link

Replying To pmack:  "The top scorers on the team are both non Ards players.

As was evident against Derry, if the Ards players would pass the ball Down would have won that day but the them and us attitude from the Ards is killing Down hurling."
Ards ards ards ards that all u can say

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 190 - 19/02/2019 20:54:06    2166451

Link

Replying To cahill:  "Dinny believe you posted that Pmack. Obviously you went at the Derry game. If the players from the intermediate teams had conigs yes they woulda won. When Jordanstown and Derry wanted to mix it there was a lot of your mates not to be found."
My mates?

No mates of mine. I'm from the Ards!!

But firstly a Down man and can see the damage we have done to hurling in the county.

The attitude that no one outside of the Ards can hurl is a major problem.

If it wasn't for the Antrim leagues in the 80's and 90's Ards hurling wouldn't exist.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the position we are in.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 19/02/2019 23:00:20    2166476

Link

Replying To pmack:  "My mates?

No mates of mine. I'm from the Ards!!

But firstly a Down man and can see the damage we have done to hurling in the county.

The attitude that no one outside of the Ards can hurl is a major problem.

If it wasn't for the Antrim leagues in the 80's and 90's Ards hurling wouldn't exist.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the position we are in."
The Antrim league didnt start in 80s or 90s it was going decades before, your comment aboot that is adolescent. Your right no one out side the ards can hurl, in down anyways. What position? Too many bad players on the present panel......sorry but obvious. The majority of non ards wouldny get a medal for bravery........just an observation.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2498 - 21/02/2019 20:23:35    2166837

Link

Replying To cahill:  "The Antrim league didnt start in 80s or 90s it was going decades before, your comment aboot that is adolescent. Your right no one out side the ards can hurl, in down anyways. What position? Too many bad players on the present panel......sorry but obvious. The majority of non ards wouldny get a medal for bravery........just an observation."
It wouldn't matter which 15 were picked or where the match was Down hurling is rubbish and that is why nobody goes to matches.Down hurling is going under like the Titanic and the band will play on without noticing. Main problem is youth losing interest and walking away between 15 - 18 years old absolutely fed up.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 207 - 23/02/2019 21:06:30    2167266

Link

Replying To cahill:  "The Antrim league didnt start in 80s or 90s it was going decades before, your comment aboot that is adolescent. Your right no one out side the ards can hurl, in down anyways. What position? Too many bad players on the present panel......sorry but obvious. The majority of non ards wouldny get a medal for bravery........just an observation."
I know when the Antrim leagues started. Played in them for years. The benefits of the leagues were responsible for the Ulster championship winning teams of the 90's.

The competition brought on both Antrim and Down.

The hurling has changed significantly since then but sadly the previous leadership of the county wouldn't or couldn't move forward with the new way hurling is played.

Running up and down a car park in Portaferry is stupidity.

This year it would appear that most of the players have bought into the new management and training regime and it is showing in the fitness of some the players.

As for no hurling outside the Ards. The Liatroim U21 team from two years ago destroyed the Ards teams with speed, skill and bravery. They just couldn't compete so there is the hurling there, it's the narrow minded and short sightedness of so called Down hurling people in the Ards who want to exclude them for their own petty nepotism. Sons and nephews of management getting starting positions on teams ahead of good players. No wonder you players are walking away.

As long as an Ards player is replaced by another Ards player then the balance remains.

We are responsible for our own downfall by not giving the non Ards players an equal chance.

It's time to play the committed players and give them their no matter where they are from and remove the narrow mindedness from Down hurling.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 24/02/2019 08:28:31    2167392

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "It wouldn't matter which 15 were picked or where the match was Down hurling is rubbish and that is why nobody goes to matches.Down hurling is going under like the Titanic and the band will play on without noticing. Main problem is youth losing interest and walking away between 15 - 18 years old absolutely fed up."
Youth loosing interest because they are not given a proper chance. As said previously, family members and friends relatives playing before good hurlers.

The current senior management have a chance to change that and I hope they do.

I fully support them even though they aren't all from our beloved Ards.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 24/02/2019 08:31:36    2167393

Link

Replying To pmack:  "Youth loosing interest because they are not given a proper chance. As said previously, family members and friends relatives playing before good hurlers.

I fully support them even though they aren't all from our beloved Ards."
Give us an example pmac

ianog (Down) - Posts: 395 - 24/02/2019 17:19:55    2167564

Link

Replying To pmack:  "Youth loosing interest because they are not given a proper chance. As said previously, family members and friends relatives playing before good hurlers.

I fully support them even though they aren't all from our beloved Ards."
We could Gather up a team from the pick of down to beat dogenal.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 190 - 24/02/2019 17:37:28    2167587

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "We could Gather up a team from the pick of down to beat dogenal."
That's what happened today. The pick of Down beat Donegal. Where you at it or was it too far to travel?

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 24/02/2019 19:36:50    2167646

Link

Replying To ianog:  "Give us an example pmac"
No. Not allowed to as that would be deemed as defamatory comments which isn't allowed in this forum but if you need to ask ( which I doubt you do) then you obviously don't go to the matches.

Did you go to Newry today? I didn't see you on the boat.

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 24/02/2019 19:41:41    2167653

Link

Perhaps its time to start the south down team again,enter them into antrim league div 2 or 3 get games under belt ready from rackard

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 254 - 24/02/2019 21:21:54    2167715

Link

Replying To pmack:  "I know when the Antrim leagues started. Played in them for years. The benefits of the leagues were responsible for the Ulster championship winning teams of the 90's.

The competition brought on both Antrim and Down.

The hurling has changed significantly since then but sadly the previous leadership of the county wouldn't or couldn't move forward with the new way hurling is played.

Running up and down a car park in Portaferry is stupidity.

This year it would appear that most of the players have bought into the new management and training regime and it is showing in the fitness of some the players.

As for no hurling outside the Ards. The Liatroim U21 team from two years ago destroyed the Ards teams with speed, skill and bravery. They just couldn't compete so there is the hurling there, it's the narrow minded and short sightedness of so called Down hurling people in the Ards who want to exclude them for their own petty nepotism. Sons and nephews of management getting starting positions on teams ahead of good players. No wonder you players are walking away.

As long as an Ards player is replaced by another Ards player then the balance remains.

We are responsible for our own downfall by not giving the non Ards players an equal chance.

It's time to play the committed players and give them their no matter where they are from and remove the narrow mindedness from Down hurling."
What about the Portaferry u21 3 years ago that destroyed that same Liatroim team? That team won everything and nobody came close to them.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 167 - 25/02/2019 08:10:38    2167822

Link