Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I think Flanagan's downfall was being sent off against Wexford. Yes he did pick up an injury or two along the way but i think his confidence took a knock after Wexford Park.
I certainly wouldn't drop Casey or Mul. Two of the hardest working players in the game. To be the devils advocate, if I had to drop someone it would be Tom Morrissey. I thought he had very poor first 35min in at least three Championship games this year. Then he has very strong finishes albeit when we are reasonably well ahead. Problem is Flanagan is a full forward line player as are Mul & Casey??

Our cover for the half forward line has very little game time. If Hayes, Hego or Morrissey picks up an early injury we could be in trouble. We know Dowling has a serious impact in the last 20min. He isn't a 60 - 70 min player. Boylan, & Reidy have very little Championship experience. David Dempsey seems to have fallen off the radar a bit. Am I correct when I say that Hayes & Morrissey have started every Championship game since JK took over? And I'm pretty sure all from the half forward line too. So if KK took Hegarty out of it in the first 5 min we could be in bother."
Last sentence by Seeking_Silver is "loaded" with meaning and worth noting , whether Hegarty or any other Limerick player, when one considers Kilkenny's tendency to play "over them edge". HOPE THE REF STAYS ON TOP OF THE PLAY.

"So if KK took Hegarty out of it in the first 5 min we could be in bother."

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 24/07/2019 01:43:50    2215551

Link

Tom Morrissey is a leader though I agree hes started badly a few times. I think his experience and nous arereally needed against a team like Kilkenny. He does serious graft off the ball as they all do I guess. I do agree that the half forward line replacements weren't played enough especially against Tipperary. We dont really know how Boylan will do coming on for 25mins if a starter gets injured.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 24/07/2019 09:07:06    2215597

Link

Huge challenge ahead on Saturday but we can do it. we only pipped em last year by a point when they were going poorly. I think KK will use every trick in the book to knock us off our game and we have to be up for it. I think their full back line can be taken and it will be the battle in the middle third that will decide it. I think we're physically better able to stand up to them rather than Cork, who just got bullied out of it when KK crowded the middle third but we have to keep our heads to make the best use of it. If we pass this test, I think it could set this team up for a long time.

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 214 - 24/07/2019 11:15:55    2215654

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I think Flanagan's downfall was being sent off against Wexford. Yes he did pick up an injury or two along the way but i think his confidence took a knock after Wexford Park.
I certainly wouldn't drop Casey or Mul. Two of the hardest working players in the game. To be the devils advocate, if I had to drop someone it would be Tom Morrissey. I thought he had very poor first 35min in at least three Championship games this year. Then he has very strong finishes albeit when we are reasonably well ahead. Problem is Flanagan is a full forward line player as are Mul & Casey??

Our cover for the half forward line has very little game time. If Hayes, Hego or Morrissey picks up an early injury we could be in trouble. We know Dowling has a serious impact in the last 20min. He isn't a 60 - 70 min player. Boylan, & Reidy have very little Championship experience. David Dempsey seems to have fallen off the radar a bit. Am I correct when I say that Hayes & Morrissey have started every Championship game since JK took over? And I'm pretty sure all from the half forward line too. So if KK took Hegarty out of it in the first 5 min we could be in bother."
Tom was excellent throughout the munster final. Won a lot of ball and set up 2 goal chances for gillane and hego (which should have been taken) in the first half by winning difficult ball, looking up, and delivering excellent passes under pressure with incredibly quick hands. Something cian lynch failed to do in the same position. I think Tom is just as nailed on as anyone. Just because all his scores were in the second half, doesnt mean he did nothing in the first..

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 950 - 24/07/2019 11:25:33    2215659

Link

I always find the day before a big match (normally a Saturday) very long, plenty of time to dwell on the what if's that comes from years of conditioning and what if's. Headlines like "Plucky Limerick put it up to the cats" Yes the moral victory. We were conditioned to these types of post-match analysis.
I remember Davy Fitz saying "yer hurling with the big boys now". What a year. win loose or draw on Saturday this panel of players and management lifted the 45-year siege and gave us a taste of what it is like to be the Big Boys. Thank you. I said earlier win loose or draw of course I mean to win. On this occasion no time for the Saturday Blues. On the motorway from Galway early not forgetting the minors. The beeping and salutes from other cars on Galway to Dublin motorway when they see the green and white flags festooned all over my little auto.
The journey home no what if's. Where am I going to get a ticket for the final? I know I'll ring ..... he has good contacts, came good before.
Normal Sunday hurling resumed. The second semi-final, who are we playing. Can Davy Fitz put one over on Liam Sheedy or will Tipp rediscover the form they showed earlier in the year?
Will it be Limerick/Tipp part three
Will it be Limerick/Wexford 1996 revisited. Imagine 23 years since then.
Anyway, what a weekend in store. This time, however, the Friday blues? ( No what if's, no fears, what will be will be, most importantly, no blues)

paddyG (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 24/07/2019 11:35:14    2215671

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Tom was excellent throughout the munster final. Won a lot of ball and set up 2 goal chances for gillane and hego (which should have been taken) in the first half by winning difficult ball, looking up, and delivering excellent passes under pressure with incredibly quick hands. Something cian lynch failed to do in the same position. I think Tom is just as nailed on as anyone. Just because all his scores were in the second half, doesnt mean he did nothing in the first.."
I agree Tom is slowly getting to the top of his game. He was excellent throughout the Munster final and his work rate and game intelligence is huge. He's a very physical player too and his tackling without the ball is as good as anyone on the team.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 24/07/2019 11:40:01    2215672

Link

2 Return train tickets (Cork - Heuston) available this weekend.
Hi, we were booked to go to Dublin for the weekend but cant travel. If someone is looking to get their hands on a return train ticket (which can be used for PM me. Arrive into Heuston at 15:57, depart Heuston on Sunday at 14:00.

rebelrebel01 (Cork) - Posts: 1 - 24/07/2019 17:28:50    2215875

Link

Nobody will be taking Hegarty out of it, he is simply too tough physically and mentally for that rubbish. Where I think Kilkenny will target us is our lack of height in the full back line, I think Walter Walsh and Colin Fennelly will start in the full forward line with both Richie Hogan and Tj Reid feeding off them at different stages, this is where i feel we have to get the match up right because the supply of ball hit in to them will be better than what Johnny Glynn got from Galway last year. We might have to be prepared to bring back Dan Morrissey full back or have Declan Hannon play a more defensive role from centre back.

Goals will be another factor Eoin Murphy is a serious goalie he made 4 unbelievable saves last year, hopefully when Gillane and Casey will get chances and take them when they come.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 24/07/2019 19:35:25    2215928

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Nobody will be taking Hegarty out of it, he is simply too tough physically and mentally for that rubbish. Where I think Kilkenny will target us is our lack of height in the full back line, I think Walter Walsh and Colin Fennelly will start in the full forward line with both Richie Hogan and Tj Reid feeding off them at different stages, this is where i feel we have to get the match up right because the supply of ball hit in to them will be better than what Johnny Glynn got from Galway last year. We might have to be prepared to bring back Dan Morrissey full back or have Declan Hannon play a more defensive role from centre back.

Goals will be another factor Eoin Murphy is a serious goalie he made 4 unbelievable saves last year, hopefully when Gillane and Casey will get chances and take them when they come."
I would not be so pessimistic about our full back line. Finn, Ritchie Mc and Casey held the Kilkenny Full forward line with Hogan and Fennelly included scoreless in Nowlan Park two years ago.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 24/07/2019 20:24:33    2215956

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "I would not be so pessimistic about our full back line. Finn, Ritchie Mc and Casey held the Kilkenny Full forward line with Hogan and Fennelly included scoreless in Nowlan Park two years ago."
Fair point but I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic I just think that's where Cody will target us.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 24/07/2019 21:04:51    2215984

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Fair point but I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic I just think that's where Cody will target us."
he tried that last year in thurles too.........

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 805 - 24/07/2019 21:17:00    2215990

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "I would not be so pessimistic about our full back line. Finn, Ritchie Mc and Casey held the Kilkenny Full forward line with Hogan and Fennelly included scoreless in Nowlan Park two years ago."
Exactly. And as well as that kk tried most of their forwards on the full back line 2 years ago and got little change out of them. With hannon just in front of them as well if kk want to lump it in there that'll suit us fine. Big difference between trying that against a panicky cork fb line and ours.

LowerTheBlade (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 24/07/2019 21:27:58    2215995

Link

I'd imagine kk will line out as follows:

Murphy
Murphy lawlor Holden
Deegan walsh fogarty
Leahy Browne
TJ Hogan Walsh
Donnelly fennelly Mullen

If you break their team down they're very strong in half back line half forward line and full forward line. Limerick will need to target their midfield and full back line. Wally Walsh and Hogan must be only 70% for so we need to hold them early and they'll wear down. Kk if they start this team will have little on the bench and worries over fitness of Hogan Walsh Mullen fogarty and Holden. Limericks strength in depth should be the difference for me. First 15 mins will be insane and limerick will have to be ready. Our half back line will be targeted by Cody. And id imagine he'll go long all day. This should suit us just fine.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 25/07/2019 12:11:45    2216224

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Nobody will be taking Hegarty out of it, he is simply too tough physically and mentally for that rubbish. Where I think Kilkenny will target us is our lack of height in the full back line, I think Walter Walsh and Colin Fennelly will start in the full forward line with both Richie Hogan and Tj Reid feeding off them at different stages, this is where i feel we have to get the match up right because the supply of ball hit in to them will be better than what Johnny Glynn got from Galway last year. We might have to be prepared to bring back Dan Morrissey full back or have Declan Hannon play a more defensive role from centre back.

Goals will be another factor Eoin Murphy is a serious goalie he made 4 unbelievable saves last year, hopefully when Gillane and Casey will get chances and take them when they come."
Do you mean it can't happen to Hegaarty like it couldn't happen to Gary Kirby 2 mins into the 1996 All Ireland Final.

As John Kiely himself says "we will leave no stone unturned" So I take from that they have considered every player getting injured or even worse sent off!!!

Also, I tend to agree with Oldtourman. I wouldn't be too concerned about the fullback line.

Looking forward to a cracker and I'm expecting a narrow limerick win.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 25/07/2019 19:05:42    2216462

Link

With Finn, Casey and English, Limerick have the best full back line in the country.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 512 - 25/07/2019 20:39:23    2216503

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Tom was excellent throughout the munster final. Won a lot of ball and set up 2 goal chances for gillane and hego (which should have been taken) in the first half by winning difficult ball, looking up, and delivering excellent passes under pressure with incredibly quick hands. Something cian lynch failed to do in the same position. I think Tom is just as nailed on as anyone. Just because all his scores were in the second half, doesnt mean he did nothing in the first.."
Blackspot. Im a big fan of Tom Morrissey and I would start him. As we per my post I was being " the Devil's advocate" However, I don't think Tom did have a good first half in a few games this year.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 25/07/2019 20:53:46    2216512

Link

Team named, same as Munster final starting 15.
Roll on Saturday!

LowerTheBlade (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 25/07/2019 21:07:19    2216518

Link

Apologies for jumping onto your forum, but just wanted to say good luck on Saturday.
Was reading with interest some of the posts regarding match ups. I know he is not the player he was but don't be surprised if Hogan plays cf or more likely as a 3rd midfielder.

Ej (Wexford) - Posts: 280 - 25/07/2019 21:59:02    2216543

Link

No surprise with the Limerick team.
In my mind I think Kilkenny are overated . In the Cork match ,in the second half Cork were wiped out in the first 20 minutes, their half forward line were destroyed and I can't belief when some people said Fitzgibbon played well, if you looked at that game he only got on the ball less than 5 times.
Our half forward line is the best we have had in many years.
Hegarty and Hayes are serious hurlers and at midfield with O' Donoghe sweeping around the half back line i't gives Lynch the license to go around at push forward.
I can see nothing less than a Limerick win.
Limerick minus 8 and Wexford to beat Tippl.
Enjoy the game everyone it is a magical time for Limerick, we have a powerful team and they haven't reached their best yet.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 26/07/2019 01:08:50    2216604

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "No surprise with the Limerick team.
In my mind I think Kilkenny are overated . In the Cork match ,in the second half Cork were wiped out in the first 20 minutes, their half forward line were destroyed and I can't belief when some people said Fitzgibbon played well, if you looked at that game he only got on the ball less than 5 times.
Our half forward line is the best we have had in many years.
Hegarty and Hayes are serious hurlers and at midfield with O' Donoghe sweeping around the half back line i't gives Lynch the license to go around at push forward.
I can see nothing less than a Limerick win.
Limerick minus 8 and Wexford to beat Tippl.
Enjoy the game everyone it is a magical time for Limerick, we have a powerful team and they haven't reached their best yet."
I dont know about kk being overrated as any team that gets to an all ire semi final deserve to be there . I would love if we beat them by 8 points as a 1point victory would do me . Wex to beat tipp sunday would also be brilliant and a limk v wex all ire minor and senior final day on aug 18 would be magical and I wouldnt begrudge wex winning the all ireland either if the worst came to the worst . Every county deserves to experience the joy , relief , ecstasy satisfaction of winning an all ireland like we done last yr and the tipp cork and kk fans have enough of those days now its nice that ourselves and wex are in with a shout this yr . We have been the nearly men long enough with loads of moral victories and hard luck stories so it makes a change to be dinimg at the top table .
Back to our game on saturday . Team that is picked deserves to start based on form . Tough on darr o donovan and maybe flanagan from the all ire starting team last yr but that was last yr and this is now and kiely and co have to go on form , sentiment wins nothing and its good for the panel to know if they do the business in training then they have a chance of starting or getting on the matchday squad. One time it was harder get off the limk team than get on it depending on who you were . Thankfully those days are gone thanks to jk and his management .
We need to tear into the game with controlled aggression from the throw in . No point being half asleep as kk will rip us apart and then we are chasing the game . I am a bit worried about the 4 wk layoff , will the lads be rusty as they were for the first round robin game against cork , hopefully not .
Goals win matches and deflate teams fairly quick if we can rattle in a few .Gillane and co need to shoot low and bounce the ball into the ground when shooting , its alot easier for murphy to block a direct shot than a bouncing sliotar and be ruthless from the first minute when it comes to goals and dont be settling for the handy point if 20 yards out . Be brave when the chance arises .
Keep cool heads also if things are going wrong we have come back before when behind and we can do it again . When hogan slipped the ball under quaid last yr in the qf late on many limk teams in the past would have folded but not this one , the same can be said against cork in the semi final so we have great fighting spirit which may be needed saturday .
Personally I think if we play to our best like we did against watfd , clare and tipp in the muns final there will be no fear of us even against a kk team more or less playing at home but if we are off form at all then no better team than kk to take advantage . Get in early to shout on the minors aswell and lets hope we can do the double over the cats ...luimneach abu

WhipOnTheBall (Limerick) - Posts: 138 - 26/07/2019 11:12:25    2216695

Link