Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Absolutely Limerick will beat the Cats. I for one am glad that Cork are gone. Kilkenny will ask all sorts of questions but they wont ask the same ones as Cork do. Limerick can match them all over and if they can out work them then they ll win. It ll be a battle and Limerick will be ready. Cody had to show his hand yesterday and they ll take great confidence from that win, however Cork were shocking in the middle third. The Full forward line will get plenty of change off that Kilkenny full forward line but it ll be the half forwards that will win it. I was impressed with Kilkennys work rate but they have plenty of chinks to attack. Besides the fullback line ,their midfield is average but their forwards look good.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 15/07/2019 13:06:33    2211328

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Absolutely Limerick will beat the Cats. I for one am glad that Cork are gone. Kilkenny will ask all sorts of questions but they wont ask the same ones as Cork do. Limerick can match them all over and if they can out work them then they ll win. It ll be a battle and Limerick will be ready. Cody had to show his hand yesterday and they ll take great confidence from that win, however Cork were shocking in the middle third. The Full forward line will get plenty of change off that Kilkenny full forward line but it ll be the half forwards that will win it. I was impressed with Kilkennys work rate but they have plenty of chinks to attack. Besides the fullback line ,their midfield is average but their forwards look good."
I'd agree with those sentiments. Limerick match up very well with Kilkenny. Kilkennys main strength is their work rate aggression and physicality. Limerick will be more than enough ready for that. I thought the kk full back line were in all sorts of trouble and corks croke park funk came back to bite them again. Cork should have been 8 points up at half time and could have had 5 or 6 goals by the final whistle. Cork were imo the only team in the last 18 months to tactically get the better of kiely and kinnerk. Their personnel would have troubled limerick as pace is the one thing limerick struggle against. Kk have no real pace in their team but they have serial AI winners and will be tough to beat. I feel limerick will have all the answers as they are a much better team now than they were e in thurles last year both physically and mentally.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 15/07/2019 13:45:55    2211351

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "I'd agree with those sentiments. Limerick match up very well with Kilkenny. Kilkennys main strength is their work rate aggression and physicality. Limerick will be more than enough ready for that. I thought the kk full back line were in all sorts of trouble and corks croke park funk came back to bite them again. Cork should have been 8 points up at half time and could have had 5 or 6 goals by the final whistle. Cork were imo the only team in the last 18 months to tactically get the better of kiely and kinnerk. Their personnel would have troubled limerick as pace is the one thing limerick struggle against. Kk have no real pace in their team but they have serial AI winners and will be tough to beat. I feel limerick will have all the answers as they are a much better team now than they were e in thurles last year both physically and mentally."
You have to feel sorry for Patrick Horgan and Alan Cadogan. They were brilliant but the rest of the team let them down with a bang. Basic defensive mistakes for goals, lack of work rate and a shocking weakness in the air. This should now push Cork into a total rebuild and transition phase for the next few years because they have a number of players on that team that have consistently failed at the highest levels and the spine of the team are all in the wrong age bracket.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 681 - 15/07/2019 13:57:44    2211358

Link

Great confidence being shown here. Is it because of how LK hammered KK in the QF last year???
Or maybe Limerick's consistently good form in all the Munster games this year?
Or maybe because LK won the League , that worked out well for Mayo yesterday.
Or maybe because the 4 week break without a game is an advantage over KK who came through a great battle yesterday?

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 846 - 15/07/2019 14:45:49    2211379

Link

Yes I'd agree with that. When you see the likes of Cahalane coming on, a serial free giving machine you know Cork are in trouble. I used to like Steven McDonnell but 2 of his passes yesterday went straight to Kilkenny men.
Of course I'd like to see the game not come down to the last 5 minutes but I think I it will unless Limerick stop Kilkenny getting any goals. Kilkenny really need 2 goals a game to sustain them. They get a great lift from goals. I'd argue that they garner more momentum from a goal than other teams.
The concerns I'd have are
1. The Break. A slow start would be fatal.
2. Croke Park. Kilkenny have had their last 2 games there. That's a slight advantage.
3. Underdog status.
4. Colin Fennelly could really cut loose one of these days..but I do recognise that he promises alot more than he delivers.
5. Will Limerick be able to work it out if defence better than Cork . A full court press is what troubles Limerick.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 15/07/2019 14:46:45    2211381

Link

Replying To TreatyBoy:  "Lads, any idea when the bring a friend option opens up to buy tickets on your season ticket? Finding it very hard to get an answer."
Last year it was offered on the Monday directly after the quarter final with a cut off of that Wednesday.

Not sure why it hasn't been offered yet. I wouldn't rely on it happening now

ancientrush (Limerick) - Posts: 22 - 15/07/2019 15:00:27    2211392

Link

Replying To ancientrush:  "Last year it was offered on the Monday directly after the quarter final with a cut off of that Wednesday.

Not sure why it hasn't been offered yet. I wouldn't rely on it happening now"
Thanks ancientrush

TreatyBoy (Limerick) - Posts: 95 - 15/07/2019 15:15:35    2211402

Link

Replying To TreatyBoy:  "Thanks ancientrush"
Live now
Bring a friend is for section 302

ancientrush (Limerick) - Posts: 22 - 15/07/2019 16:31:45    2211438

Link

Replying To ancientrush:  "Live now
Bring a friend is for section 302"
Thanks, I just came on to post this.

TreatyBoy (Limerick) - Posts: 95 - 15/07/2019 17:22:47    2211472

Link

it will be hard to manage colm fennelly because of all the steps he takes with ball in hand so m casey will have to be first to the ball which wont be easy hopefully the ref will be tuned in to this as he gets goals in most of his game by over carrying as we all know goals win u most games

leftback (Limerick) - Posts: 50 - 15/07/2019 18:08:09    2211498

Link

Replying To leftback:  "it will be hard to manage colm fennelly because of all the steps he takes with ball in hand so m casey will have to be first to the ball which wont be easy hopefully the ref will be tuned in to this as he gets goals in most of his game by over carrying as we all know goals win u most games"
This is a very good postcard re Fennelly overcarrying as JJ Delany was on the airwaves before the Cork game saying he hoped Colin Fennelly would be protected by referee. It is a very common practice for ex players to take to the airwaves before a game expressing "hope that the ref would let the game flow". This is an attempt to intimidate referees into not calling the Kilkenny " over the edge style. Eddie Keher and DJ are others who have been fed similar scripts in the past. Brian Cody is of course blameless after making this comment just once, and now has others do it for him.
Hopefully our boys are wise enough to look out for themselves.

Come In Ye Boys In Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 15/07/2019 21:09:59    2211611

Link

Replying To leftback:  "it will be hard to manage colm fennelly because of all the steps he takes with ball in hand so m casey will have to be first to the ball which wont be easy hopefully the ref will be tuned in to this as he gets goals in most of his game by over carrying as we all know goals win u most games"
In fairness Pat Horgan took a lot more steps for his 3rd goal than Colin Fennelly did for his. All forwards do this including Limerick's and refs rarely penalise it.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 846 - 15/07/2019 23:48:07    2211686

Link

Replying To ancientrush:  "Live now
Bring a friend is for section 302"
I'm very disappointed with 302 for season ticket holders with bring a friend. It will be interesting to see where the season tickets without bring a friend are seated. What's wrong with sections 303-309. Surely the individual season tickets and the hurling heaven packages haven't filled all these sections with Limerick having a mere 1500 season tickets???

I went on tickets.ie shortly after 12:30 today and I could get two tickets in the Cusack 309! So the general public were given preference to tickets over season tickets. I think 302 cusack was pre allocated for season tickets with bring a friend. Another crazy thing is that season ticket holders that don't bring a friend do not know their seat until later this week or next week. Am I incorrect in saying this? Anyway that's my moan over.

Great to be going to Croker again. I'd be very wary of Kilkenny. I cannot understand how all the pundits and bookies were going for Cork. After all they were beaten well by Tipp and Clare (their 3rd game in a row). Both of whom have shown major flaws in this years Championship.

On the other hand Kilkenny have come through a much more competitive Leinster campaign. There is no substitute for tough matches, especially two weeks apart.

If limerick bring their top drawer performance that they have showed off in abundance in the Clare game and Munster Final then I have no fear. However, I am very wary of Kilkenny spoiling our method of play...... just as Cork did on 19th May. And we now know they were no great shakes.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 16/07/2019 00:06:26    2211689

Link

I think it will be a tough battle against Kilkenny but it's one I expect us to win.
Cork were very poor on Sunday, their forwards bar Horgan were terrible, their midfield was cleaned out and they lost over 80% of their puckouts. It will be tough against Kilkenny but I see us pulling away in the last 10 minutes.
I am going for Limerick -8 at 2/1/in a double with Wexford at 5/2 with Bruce Betting. For 20 euros
you will get 210 euros.
Take a chance lads.

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 16/07/2019 13:08:56    2211841

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver: "I'm very disappointed with 302 for season ticket holders with bring a friend.

I would expect Season ticket holders tickets next week will be in 305 or 306.

Not agreeing with the logic but reason that they give worse tickets for bring a friend is because many would do that rather than buy a season ticket, if they were guaranteed a good seat on bring a friend.

Anyway looking forward to it

ancientrush (Limerick) - Posts: 22 - 16/07/2019 15:41:04    2211920

Link

PART1. I still don't think that Cork have our number like a lot of people are saying. Fair enough if they managed to get through to the semi and knock us out of the championship. Now we'll never know.
People were going on about that league game (which only counts now and again when it suits the argument) and fair enough they beat us in the Gaelic grounds in the championship but in hindsight they did us a great favour. The real Limerick have stood up since. That was shown with the performances against Clare and Tipp in particular. The intensity was through the roof in those games. Importantly to note games in which we had to win we won. I aliken the corkonian talk this year to the Clare talk last year. "Ye wouldn't like to meat us in croke Park...."At the end of the day we were already through to the knockout stages by the Clare match and it was our 3rd game in a row.
PART2
Bit of a contradiction but I still thought Cork would beat Kilkenny. They looked like they had a bigger squad this year and Kilkenny certainly hadn't played anywhere near that level up until the Cork game. Typical Cody. I also read way too much into Laois beating Dublin. I thought it was a sign that the Leinster championship was at a low ebb.
And so it's Kilkenny. Fierce competitors thats a given. Look to be in better fettle than last year now especially shown with the young lads they brought on who made a serious impact. They had a massive spread of scorers.
Thankfully they've fired warning shots so if there was going to be any sort of complacency that should be long gone now. I'd be hopeful our backs would be a lot tighter than Cork's backs. Fennelly is a big man but Mike Casey had to deal with a certain Johnny Glynn last year too.
Hopefully we will convert goal chances up front . Missed 4 proper chances last year against Kilkenny (didn't convert any, we should have won by much more) and another 4 this year against Tipp.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 16/07/2019 19:47:46    2212028

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I'm very disappointed with 302 for season ticket holders with bring a friend. It will be interesting to see where the season tickets without bring a friend are seated. What's wrong with sections 303-309. Surely the individual season tickets and the hurling heaven packages haven't filled all these sections with Limerick having a mere 1500 season tickets???

I went on tickets.ie shortly after 12:30 today and I could get two tickets in the Cusack 309! So the general public were given preference to tickets over season tickets. I think 302 cusack was pre allocated for season tickets with bring a friend. Another crazy thing is that season ticket holders that don't bring a friend do not know their seat until later this week or next week. Am I incorrect in saying this? Anyway that's my moan over.

Great to be going to Croker again. I'd be very wary of Kilkenny. I cannot understand how all the pundits and bookies were going for Cork. After all they were beaten well by Tipp and Clare (their 3rd game in a row). Both of whom have shown major flaws in this years Championship.

On the other hand Kilkenny have come through a much more competitive Leinster campaign. There is no substitute for tough matches, especially two weeks apart.

If limerick bring their top drawer performance that they have showed off in abundance in the Clare game and Munster Final then I have no fear. However, I am very wary of Kilkenny spoiling our method of play...... just as Cork did on 19th May. And we now know they were no great shakes."
Tickets between 303 and 309 probably go to club members and volunteers. These are well entitled to good tickets before anyone else. Don't forget clubs are the reason we have a team in the first place. Season ticket holders should always come second to club members club sponsors and club volunteers .

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 16/07/2019 21:10:51    2212077

Link

Has many people on here parked at the Luas car park by the red cow and got the Luas out to Croke Park? Just wondering is there a lot of parking in the car park or would I be better off driving in and parking closer to croke park?

Limerick__73 (Limerick) - Posts: 72 - 17/07/2019 12:26:03    2212309

Link

Replying To Limerick__73:  "Has many people on here parked at the Luas car park by the red cow and got the Luas out to Croke Park? Just wondering is there a lot of parking in the car park or would I be better off driving in and parking closer to croke park?"
If there's a big crowd for the match it can be packed. Saggart/ citywest hotel car park is the first stop so you are first on the luas

LK4Liam (Limerick) - Posts: 19 - 17/07/2019 13:48:40    2212343

Link

Replying To Limerick__73:  "Has many people on here parked at the Luas car park by the red cow and got the Luas out to Croke Park? Just wondering is there a lot of parking in the car park or would I be better off driving in and parking closer to croke park?"
If you drive across at Naas to Maynooth train station and get the train to Drumcondra is another way of beating city Traffic

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 17/07/2019 14:54:13    2212375

Link