Westmeath Forum

Football Squad 2019.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can we not decide where to play the match? It'll be in Tyrrellspass next?

XPAC (Westmeath) - Posts: 86 - 14/12/2018 18:34:45    2154309

Link

Replying To XPAC:  "Can we not decide where to play the match? It'll be in Tyrrellspass next?"
Game postponed now. Probably should have been in Loman's all weather pitch from the get go.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 205 - 15/12/2018 11:01:23    2154340

Link

Was at the offaly game today very poor first half Paddy Fagan Ronan OToole looked good not much to be excited about

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 94 - 29/12/2018 21:28:03    2155274

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "Was at the offaly game today very poor first half Paddy Fagan Ronan OToole looked good not much to be excited about"
To be fair if Westmeath haven't got the likes of Heslin,Loughlin,Dolan,Mccallon,Maguire,Boyle,and Ger Egan(clearly not 100%) they will struggle.Fagan was a revelation and Ó Toole top class.It was good to see Daly back and Flanagan,Duncan and Wallace showed potential. We should remember a third of the team came from junior or intermediate clubs and it's some step up to intercounty.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 663 - 30/12/2018 10:58:10    2155283

Link

Fagan looked decent and OToole looked lively when introduced. Kieran Martin did well at 6 I thought. Loughlin listed to start but wasn't even togged. Offaly should have been out of site but fair play to the lads for sticking at it and getting the equaliser. Kildare next Sun in The Downs a will be a different proposition. Lots of lads getting opportunities which is what this competition is all about but Kildare are years ahead of our lads literally.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 614 - 30/12/2018 16:36:06    2155298

Link

Was a fairly poor game the other day, we didnt know what to do once we go the ball as far as midfield. The few times they kicked in long it was too late as Offaly had players back to crowd them out as it took so long to kick it in. We dominated possession for most the 2nd half but again didnt seem to know what the plan was once we got past half way, very lateral passing for a min before someone tried to burst through. Hopefully things improve when others get back.
Fagan and O'Toole impressed and Martin did well pushing forward in the 2nd half but dont think he's good enough defensively for centre back, maybe start him as corner forward and have him out as a 3rd midfielder with license to attack

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 239 - 02/01/2019 15:55:07    2155469

Link

I think the team chosen for today's game showsthe negative style Cooney will adopt David lynch sam Duncan defensive minded and Kieran Martin at full forward . He has as much chance of being full forward as I have . Kildare have a weakened team out also so should be a dour game

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1146 - 06/01/2019 10:49:46    2155778

Link

Very positive display from Westmeath today. Went forward at every opportunity. Defended when they had to. Kildare very poor.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 06/01/2019 16:54:06    2155812

Link

The good times still rolling, although a few big names missing from the match dayvsquad...

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 82 - 06/01/2019 17:42:00    2155818

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "I think the team chosen for today's game showsthe negative style Cooney will adopt David lynch sam Duncan defensive minded and Kieran Martin at full forward . He has as much chance of being full forward as I have . Kildare have a weakened team out also so should be a dour game"
You're a hard man to keep happy Mick.... nothing wrong with how any of these lads played. Duncan was top class and is turning into a fine player. Several new lads impressing. Fagan didn't play today but I expect already he has done enough to start against Offaly in the league. Would like to see Petit starting next week as he was very good against Carlow a few weeks ago when he started.

All the lads worked so hard today and dispossessed Kildare several times which was good to see. A bit of work to do up front. I understand a few big name defenders may be returning to the squad, which will give a big boost if true. Corroon will be back soon also. Plenty of lads fighting for their place on the squad now which is good to see. Hopefully Luke is in the squad next week as he wasn't involved in the last two games. Don't know if he is injured. O Toole was immense again. Hard to see who will be in goals this season as Carberry and Fagan have both done well over the last few games. Plenty of positives from today!!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 896 - 06/01/2019 22:24:09    2155875

Link

A good win but Kildare were missing a lot more than we were. Who have we to come back.....Corroon, Heslin, Loughlin??All 3 will make a big difference & are needed sooner rather than later. Maybe there's a couple more to come into it.
Are Marshment or Gaughan from Athlone playing this year?

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 163 - 07/01/2019 08:17:00    2155891

Link

Interesting to see teams adapt to the new rules. The traditional full forward seems to be returning to the game. At times it looked like a striker moving to the back post when they expect a cross to come in from the winger. A good result against longford will give the team a huge boost going into the league. Whether they win the final or not.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 07/01/2019 12:05:12    2155925

Link

Fair play to ye on the win win yesterday. Kildare didnt seem to gel at all like previous games. Too many changes to our starting 15 i think.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 07/01/2019 13:53:28    2155939

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "You're a hard man to keep happy Mick.... nothing wrong with how any of these lads played. Duncan was top class and is turning into a fine player. Several new lads impressing. Fagan didn't play today but I expect already he has done enough to start against Offaly in the league. Would like to see Petit starting next week as he was very good against Carlow a few weeks ago when he started.

All the lads worked so hard today and dispossessed Kildare several times which was good to see. A bit of work to do up front. I understand a few big name defenders may be returning to the squad, which will give a big boost if true. Corroon will be back soon also. Plenty of lads fighting for their place on the squad now which is good to see. Hopefully Luke is in the squad next week as he wasn't involved in the last two games. Don't know if he is injured. O Toole was immense again. Hard to see who will be in goals this season as Carberry and Fagan have both done well over the last few games. Plenty of positives from today!!"
matthew i posted later saying how wrong i was but hogan stand didnt publish it . i am re posting again . the team and management are to be commended and i do so without reservation. very fit and hungry looking .everyone on the same wavelength and eager to do well . i say well done to jack cooney for whom i have the highest regard . onward and upward

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1146 - 07/01/2019 14:20:04    2155946

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "You're a hard man to keep happy Mick.... nothing wrong with how any of these lads played. Duncan was top class and is turning into a fine player. Several new lads impressing. Fagan didn't play today but I expect already he has done enough to start against Offaly in the league. Would like to see Petit starting next week as he was very good against Carlow a few weeks ago when he started.

All the lads worked so hard today and dispossessed Kildare several times which was good to see. A bit of work to do up front. I understand a few big name defenders may be returning to the squad, which will give a big boost if true. Corroon will be back soon also. Plenty of lads fighting for their place on the squad now which is good to see. Hopefully Luke is in the squad next week as he wasn't involved in the last two games. Don't know if he is injured. O Toole was immense again. Hard to see who will be in goals this season as Carberry and Fagan have both done well over the last few games. Plenty of positives from today!!"
Is Petit injured that he's going to be out until the Offaly game?? It's round 6 (16th March) Down is first game 26th January???

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 07/01/2019 18:44:14    2156002

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Is Petit injured that he's going to be out until the Offaly game?? It's round 6 (16th March) Down is first game 26th January???"
Sunday January 2nd

Allianz Football League - Round 1
Uíbh Fhailí v An Iarmhí (2pm)

Saturday February 2nd

Allianz Football League - Round 2
An Iarmhí v Ceatharlach (3pm)

Saturday February 9th

Allianz Football League - Round 3
An Dún v An Iarmhí (7pm)

Sunday February 24th

Allianz Football League - Round 4
An Iarmhí v Laois (2.30pm)

Sunday March 3rd

Allianz Football League - Round 5
Sligeach v An Iarmhí (2pm)

Saturday March 16th

Allianz Football League - Round 6
An Lú v An Iarmhí (2pm)

Sunday March 24th

Allianz Football League - Round 7
An Iarmhí v An Longfort (2pm)

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 843 - 07/01/2019 19:52:12    2156007

Link

http://www.midlands103.com/sport-centre/provisional-allianz-league-fixtures-for-2019-revealed/

Radio 3 must have got it wrong so

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 07/01/2019 20:21:24    2156012

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "Sunday January 2nd

Saturday February 2nd

Allianz Football League - Round 2
An Iarmhí v Ceatharlach (3pm)

Saturday February 9th

Allianz Football League - Round 3
An Dún v An Iarmhí (7pm)

Sunday February 24th

Allianz Football League - Round 4
An Iarmhí v Laois (2.30pm)

Sunday March 3rd

Allianz Football League - Round 5
Sligeach v An Iarmhí (2pm)

Saturday March 16th

Allianz Football League - Round 6
An Lú v An Iarmhí (2pm)

Sunday March 24th

Allianz Football League - Round 7
An Iarmhí v An Longfort (2pm)"
Edit:

Sunday January 27th

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 843 - 07/01/2019 20:23:43    2156014

Link

Replying To Chops:  "http://www.midlands103.com/sport-centre/provisional-allianz-league-fixtures-for-2019-revealed/

Radio 3 must have got it wrong so"
Yeah I saw that. Strange but pretty sure the ones I put up are right. Jack Cooney even referred to the first 3 games on Sunday

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 843 - 07/01/2019 20:51:24    2156015

Link

Back to back O Byrne cup finals very achievable.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 82 - 10/01/2019 19:28:15    2156459

Link