Westmeath Forum

Football Squad 2019.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i havent heard anything about john heslin . but i will say this . i travelled to see rhode play mullaghnahta on sunday
in tullamore . if that is the type of football we have to endure under the cooney management . it is painful to watch
so any attack minded player will have to change his whole mindset to fit in to that way of playing . it might be a painful year but i wait and see"
Managers set up their team based on the players available

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1589 - 12/11/2018 15:36:06    2150801

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Managers set up their team based on the players available"
Cooney played dire defensive football with Kinnegad and a fantastic Rhode team. He was also involved with Donegal when they played the most defensive football ever seen in the history of the GAA!! They surely cant all have been bad players!!

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 12/11/2018 21:49:29    2150872

Link

This style is what the county board signed up for, they knew the way he set his team up when he got the job, the majority of people on this forum were praising the decision to appoint him so no use starting to complain about style of play now... it will be like watching carlow and fermanagh

dec (None) - Posts: 207 - 13/11/2018 10:45:19    2150916

Link

Replying To dec:  "This style is what the county board signed up for, they knew the way he set his team up when he got the job, the majority of people on this forum were praising the decision to appoint him so no use starting to complain about style of play now... it will be like watching carlow and fermanagh"
Remember the Offaly match in Tullamore last year when both teams decided to play keep ball and not look for scores. I'd imagine we'll see more of that.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 13/11/2018 16:06:20    2150975

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Remember the Offaly match in Tullamore last year when both teams decided to play keep ball and not look for scores. I'd imagine we'll see more of that."
In fairness that was an awful day for football. Howling wind and greasy ball from the raining all day. Whichever team kicked the ball unnecessarily away would have lost that match. Neither did and both teams defended well, so that's why we got that dour draw. Although heslin did kick an outstanding free to level the game I remember.
If Westmeath defend as hard, honest and disciplined as Carlow and Fermanagh have recently we'll be in a much better place than last year.
We should remember that this is a Westmeath man one of our own, leading out Westmeath men.
The main motivation won't be to build a profile as a manager. It will be pride in his own jersey.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 14/11/2018 12:10:38    2151105

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Remember the Offaly match in Tullamore last year when both teams decided to play keep ball and not look for scores. I'd imagine we'll see more of that."
absolutely this is what we will see and possibly on a bigger scale than that day if that was possible, i for one wont be paying in to watch that type of football, hopefully with the new rules being trialled for the league teams will be forced to play a more attacking brand of football which could bring crowds back, but once the league is over it will be back to the blanket again....

dec (None) - Posts: 207 - 14/11/2018 13:29:35    2151121

Link

Replying To dec:  "absolutely this is what we will see and possibly on a bigger scale than that day if that was possible, i for one wont be paying in to watch that type of football, hopefully with the new rules being trialled for the league teams will be forced to play a more attacking brand of football which could bring crowds back, but once the league is over it will be back to the blanket again...."
Oh would you stop complaining?? Ye are a division three team and that is the level ye are at. why don't ye look over the road and see how things are done properly in Roscommon? We are consistently contesting provincial finals, playing division one teams while all teams around us flounder and flap. ie Longford, Leitrim, Westmeath, Offaly etc. Ye could do with sending a few coaches to us to see how we do things over here. Can only benefit ye in the long run.

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 15/11/2018 12:35:18    2151214

Link

Replying To whydoyou:  "Oh would you stop complaining?? Ye are a division three team and that is the level ye are at. why don't ye look over the road and see how things are done properly in Roscommon? We are consistently contesting provincial finals, playing division one teams while all teams around us flounder and flap. ie Longford, Leitrim, Westmeath, Offaly etc. Ye could do with sending a few coaches to us to see how we do things over here. Can only benefit ye in the long run."
Will ya come out of the garden and close the gate behind ya. If we wanted to see how things are done properly we'd head up the m4 to Dublin. Roscommon wouldn't be high on the list of examples

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 155 - 15/11/2018 13:08:57    2151218

Link

Replying To whydoyou:  "Oh would you stop complaining?? Ye are a division three team and that is the level ye are at. why don't ye look over the road and see how things are done properly in Roscommon? We are consistently contesting provincial finals, playing division one teams while all teams around us flounder and flap. ie Longford, Leitrim, Westmeath, Offaly etc. Ye could do with sending a few coaches to us to see how we do things over here. Can only benefit ye in the long run."
Contesting provincial finals is not an achievement for Roscommon if all they have done to do so is beat Leitrim/Sligo/London/New York. That's a minimum expectation. Beating Mayo or Galway would be an achievement. Hasn't happened in 17 years.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 231 - 15/11/2018 13:19:17    2151223

Link

Replying To dakid:  "Will ya come out of the garden and close the gate behind ya. If we wanted to see how things are done properly we'd head up the m4 to Dublin. Roscommon wouldn't be high on the list of examples"
says the fella in Australia??? Why do you say this??

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 15/11/2018 14:01:18    2151228

Link

Ha ha this is funny, glad to see someone with a sense of humour here :-)

dec (None) - Posts: 207 - 15/11/2018 14:04:56    2151229

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Contesting provincial finals is not an achievement for Roscommon if all they have done to do so is beat Leitrim/Sligo/London/New York. That's a minimum expectation. Beating Mayo or Galway would be an achievement. Hasn't happened in 17 years."
Good man Jamsie- seventeen years?????? We beat galway two years ago- do you live in Tír na nÓg a mhac where time passes slowly????

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 15/11/2018 14:10:55    2151230

Link

Replying To dec:  "Ha ha this is funny, glad to see someone with a sense of humour here :-)"
why do you laugh??

whydoyou (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 15/11/2018 14:16:55    2151231

Link

I think it's fay to say packtically in the current era that Roscommon would be contesting Leinster finals for me every year due to the weak competition early doors up top

Dynamitewooskey (Roscommon) - Posts: 15 - 15/11/2018 14:24:06    2151232

Link

Replying To whydoyou:  "Good man Jamsie- seventeen years?????? We beat galway two years ago- do you live in Tír na nÓg a mhac where time passes slowly????"
true - forgot that one, last year. Once every 16 years isn't bad I guess.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 231 - 15/11/2018 16:28:25    2151244

Link

HaHaHaHahahahHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahaha! Mayo 4-19 Roscommon 0-9 is that how its done! Easy contest a Connacht final when all you have to do is beat Leitrim, London Sligo or New York to get there! Apart from Mayo what other Division 1 teams did Roscommon play in 2018??

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 15/11/2018 18:18:13    2151254

Link

If ye are that good. How come ye ended up with a hurler to manage the senior football team.

JR_Iarmhi (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 15/11/2018 18:25:35    2151256

Link

Replying To whydoyou:  "says the fella in Australia??? Why do you say this??"
Says the fella is Australia. Sure there might be an Australian team in the Connaught championship next. More stern opposition for Roscommon

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 155 - 16/11/2018 09:25:12    2151285

Link

If Roscommon were in Leinster their championship would be over in June every year.

XPAC (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 16/11/2018 20:23:54    2151358

Link

Well folks any word on a panel for the coming season, I believe trials have been taking place.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 19/11/2018 20:26:59    2151727

Link