Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Blockandhook:  "Sad really, having beaten Kilkenny and should have won against Tipperary but that's sport. Looks like it's going to be a cracker of a final. Hard to predict but I'm giving Kilkenny the nod by 5 points."
Guess I was very wrong with my prediction. Thought Kilkenny would have done better. Unfortunate for Hogan been sent off. Right decision by Owens though. Think we would have beaten Kilkenny today based on what we witnessed. Let's hope we have learned from this year and come back stronger than ever next year.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 347 - 18/08/2019 19:38:28    2227184

Link

that was some chance we missed.kk were poor today. :(

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3454 - 18/08/2019 21:10:16    2227242

Link

Ah lads i'm sick.... not to be for us this year but roll on next year! Dee and Chin named on hurling team of the year congrats to both, i know it could be a different story come all stars etc....

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 201 - 19/08/2019 08:23:46    2227336

Link

Don't agree with Murphy getting on team of the year: let in 3 goals in final, Fanning let in 3 for the whole championship. Don't think Padraig Walsh or Fennelly should have got on it either.

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 211 - 19/08/2019 08:37:25    2227338

Link

Replying To logger:  "Ah lads i'm sick.... not to be for us this year but roll on next year! Dee and Chin named on hurling team of the year congrats to both, i know it could be a different story come all stars etc...."
Sorry i should add that was the Sunday Game team of the year.

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 201 - 19/08/2019 09:14:23    2227349

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "Don't agree with Murphy getting on team of the year: let in 3 goals in final, Fanning let in 3 for the whole championship. Don't think Padraig Walsh or Fennelly should have got on it either."
Padraig Walsh is a great player but I agree he didnt have a great year. Was poor enough both times we played them. Fennelly likewise has had far better years. Mullen has been a far better forward for them this year but misses out because he was sick and missed the final. Hardly seems fair when the team of the year is supposed to be based on your performances over the year or at least the championship.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 773 - 19/08/2019 12:01:42    2227427

Link

The Sunday Game team of the year the prize being the players get sent a dvd of the complete season of sunday games and have to listen to every word of dribble and waffle spoken by the guests for the whole series.
A terrible show now with too much dung talked and not enough highlights shown.
I couldn't care less if me mother was in goal for the Sunday Game team of the year.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1169 - 19/08/2019 12:35:28    2227450

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Padraig Walsh is a great player but I agree he didnt have a great year. Was poor enough both times we played them. Fennelly likewise has had far better years. Mullen has been a far better forward for them this year but misses out because he was sick and missed the final. Hardly seems fair when the team of the year is supposed to be based on your performances over the year or at least the championship."
Mullen played in the final and got taken off. Touched the ball once i think. Got taken off before half time against galway. Good young player but WAY overhyped.

Waltermitty2 (Wexford) - Posts: 86 - 19/08/2019 15:42:17    2227551

Link

MOH on the Skysports team of the year along with Dee and Lee. Had a great season I think!

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 773 - 19/08/2019 20:18:09    2227664

Link

Replying To Waltermitty2:  "Mullen played in the final and got taken off. Touched the ball once i think. Got taken off before half time against galway. Good young player but WAY overhyped."
Thought he played well for them against us. And in the All Ireland series.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 773 - 19/08/2019 20:20:30    2227666

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "MOH on the Skysports team of the year along with Dee and Lee. Had a great season I think!"
Great news, along with the free RTE DVD of the Sunday Game, these lads will also gets a years subscription to Sky Sports.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1169 - 20/08/2019 10:09:15    2227793

Link

I recorded the semi final and I had a look at the last twenty minutes to see where we really lost the game. We gave away a load of easy ball, but my God did the ref not half make up for sending McGrath off. He ignored three scoreable frees a penalty, if not two in that period. It looked as if he was never going to let us win.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 477 - 20/08/2019 13:14:35    2227868

Link

I recorded the semi final and I had a look at the last twenty minutes to see where we really lost the game. We gave away a load of easy ball, but my God did the ref not half make up for sending McGrath off. He ignored three scoreable frees a penalty, if not two in that period. It looked as if he was never going to let us win.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 477 - 20/08/2019 13:15:41    2227870

Link

Replying To gminor:  "I recorded the semi final and I had a look at the last twenty minutes to see where we really lost the game. We gave away a load of easy ball, but my God did the ref not half make up for sending McGrath off. He ignored three scoreable frees a penalty, if not two in that period. It looked as if he was never going to let us win."
So we are now going to do like Kilkenny and start blaming the referee, ah here lads.
Tipperary scored more than us on the day.
We were unable to use the extra man to our benefit and were unable to change tactics to get the game back in our favour.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1169 - 20/08/2019 13:23:55    2227874

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "So we are now going to do like Kilkenny and start blaming the referee, ah here lads.
We were unable to use the extra man to our benefit and were unable to change tactics to get the game back in our favour."
Exactly, lads dont go down that road.

The level of Kilkenny whinging is reaching epic levels at this stage, we were beaten by the better team and ultimate All Ireland champions.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 810 - 20/08/2019 13:34:22    2227881

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "So we are now going to do like Kilkenny and start blaming the referee, ah here lads.
We were unable to use the extra man to our benefit and were unable to change tactics to get the game back in our favour."
If you get chance have a look for yourself. Don't knock other people's post unless you have all the facts. I can give exact times of incidents to save you time, if you wish.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 477 - 20/08/2019 14:21:06    2227898

Link

Replying To gminor:  "If you get chance have a look for yourself. Don't knock other people's post unless you have all the facts. I can give exact times of incidents to save you time, if you wish."
Look it's our own fault ...
There's going to be human error and some ref mistakes are bigger than others (Limerick should have got a 65 and Heffernan(or was it Barrett?) should have got red also in the semi when his striking punch to Dee O'Keefe was seen by the linesman)... but it was still down to us to make hay and put Tip away the same way they put Kilkenny away in the AI final. We lost our shape and ran out of steam.
Bottom line ... we didn't put enough scores on the board to beat Tip ... and refs have a tendency to try to even things out in matches after they give a red to one team (I think we were awarded 1 scorable free in the last 25 mnutes of the game, but that's just the way it goes).
But it was up to us to put the scores on the board ... we didn't. Tip didn't wait for frees or contact from tackles ... they just tacked on loads of scores from play in the second half of the AI final, because you will get nothing from a ref after a sending off.

A very minor point to add, was the timings of the sendings off ... the kk sending off was just before half time and Sheedy was able to organise them at half time. The Tip sending off against us was early in the second half ... and we ending up loosing our shape for the last 20 minutes. Ronan Maher/Barret/Heffernan were very well organised at the back and they switched between who was sweeper and nullified Fennelly/TJ Reid completely.
For our match as Davy said, the Tip sending off did not suit us at all, as it gave them more space. It was all helter skelter and we were just not organised enough to make use of the spare man.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 156 - 20/08/2019 15:12:53    2227914

Link

Replying To gminor:  "If you get chance have a look for yourself. Don't knock other people's post unless you have all the facts. I can give exact times of incidents to save you time, if you wish."
I will never blame a referee for losing a game.
The only time I will blame a referee if my team doesnt give one turnover, score from every shot, wins every puck out etc.
We made numerous mistakes during the game, players hit poor wides, players hand passed the ball away, players pucked the ball away.
To the best of my knowledge the referee didn't cause any of those.
Tipperary were slightly the better team on the day and deserved to be in an All Ireland final on that merit nothing to do with a free or two given or missed.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1169 - 20/08/2019 15:44:51    2227926

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "I will never blame a referee for losing a game.
The only time I will blame a referee if my team doesnt give one turnover, score from every shot, wins every puck out etc.
We made numerous mistakes during the game, players hit poor wides, players hand passed the ball away, players pucked the ball away.
To the best of my knowledge the referee didn't cause any of those.
Tipperary were slightly the better team on the day and deserved to be in an All Ireland final on that merit nothing to do with a free or two given or missed."
Of course you're 100% right.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 477 - 20/08/2019 16:06:19    2227934

Link