Galway Forum

Intermediate Football Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Another Huge battle yesterday with the better team coming out on top,An Spideal arent the biggest team but very fit and strong,MB ran out of steam in extra time but credit due to them also after turning a poor start to the year around. Padraig Eoin O Curraoin looks a good prospect

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 29/10/2018 14:54:35    2148599

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Not to mention three more senior teams coming down next year. They MB also have an over inflated opinion of themselves which doesn't help. They look upon themselves as a"big" club with all their facilities. Maybe some humble pie is in order from a "small" club like spiddal with such a small poulation base,"
Totally agree northbouind. They've yet to win an intermediate football title in their history.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 619 - 29/10/2018 18:10:33    2148626

Link

If anyone wants to rewatch the match they can do so using this link. Very very well worth a watch. Up the Spidéa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYMzA0EPNU

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 619 - 30/10/2018 18:32:04    2148778

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "If anyone wants to rewatch the match they can do so using this link. Very very well worth a watch. Up the Spidéa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYMzA0EPNU"
Fair play. The clip of Maghnus winning the free to level it at the end of normal time has done the rounds on a few national sport websites. Inspirational stuff.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 333 - 30/10/2018 20:36:20    2148794

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Fair play. The clip of Maghnus winning the free to level it at the end of normal time has done the rounds on a few national sport websites. Inspirational stuff."
Ah it's great to see isn't it.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 619 - 30/10/2018 21:12:05    2148797

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Ah it's great to see isn't it."
Hup An Spidéal!!!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 500 - 31/10/2018 08:51:13    2148825

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Totally agree. Forwards threw it away when we were a point up going into injury time. I would kick straighter with a pair of wellingtons, lol. Peadar Óg on Crutches would be an improvement. I couldnt begrudge An Spidéal the win. I thought the sending off was a bit harsh also. But we missed a penalty and was denied another penalty so could have gone either way. Fair play to O' Curraoin and Breathnach for their free taking skills under pressure, worth the entry fee. Cant see much difference between the standard of football in Intermediate and Senior in Galway at the moment anyway. Even Coroffin are being dragged down to the doldrums. Breathnachs will be back, we can cheer on our hurlers now and Hand ball champions. Strong healthy club with great athletes, always proud of them."
Best of luck in the hurling. I might go and watch it. When is it on Sammy?

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 619 - 01/11/2018 11:49:28    2149021

Link

Claregalway Hotel Galway Gaelic Football Intermediate Dream Team 2018

1 Maghnus Breathnach (An Spideal)

2 Diarmuid Ó Maoileoin (Micheal Breathnach)

3 Dara Mac an Rí (An Spideal)

4 Liam Ó Ceallaigh (An Spideal)

5 Daniel Garvey (Headford)

6 Colm Ó Braonáin (Oileáin Arainn)

7 Padraig Eoin Ó Curraoin (An Spideal)

8 Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)

9 Michael Day (Headford)

10 Tommy Ó Conghaile (Micheal Breathnach)

11 Antoine Ó Laoi (An Spideal)

12 Ruadhan Ó Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach) (

13 Ronan Mac Donnacha (Michael Breathnach)

14 Cormac Ó Laoi (An Spideal)

15 Mark Ronaldson (Oranmore/Maree)

Player of the year nominations:
Maghnus Breathnach (An Spideal),
Tommy Ó Conghaile (Micheal Breathnach)
Antoine Ó Laoi (An Spideal)

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 11/11/2018 18:32:57    2150632

Link

As a matter on interest why was the match yesterday not in Pearse Stadium, im sure a lot more from west Galway would of supported an spideal if it had been on there. Tuam stadium was in a lot of ways a neutral venue. How come Galways representative on the connacht council didn't speak up about this ?

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 19 - 11/11/2018 21:33:46    2150677

Link

Replying To devrandom:  "As a matter on interest why was the match yesterday not in Pearse Stadium, im sure a lot more from west Galway would of supported an spideal if it had been on there. Tuam stadium was in a lot of ways a neutral venue. How come Galways representative on the connacht council didn't speak up about this ?"
The club used to get the choice (i.e. in times past it would have been Spiddal's call) but this rule may have been changed in the meantime not 100% sure.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 521 - 12/11/2018 17:11:36    2150825

Link

They want to promote Tuam Stadium as being the true place to play football.

Fuerty will be a closer to Tuam Stadium than Spideal in terms of traveling time.

The pitch is in okay shape I give it that(from what I have seen) but I imagine it's a nightmare for players and coaches to be dealing with the lack of a warm place as they only get 15-18 mins to warm and GAA recommend a 15min warm doesn't leave teams to add on any shooting or free taking is foolish.

Dressing rooms are desperate there and I hope they have a good size ones in the future and the next bit should a warm up field and I would say Tuam would be fantastic to go to then. But until then it's a joke

PineappleExpres (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 12/11/2018 18:30:15    2150838

Link

That dream team reads like an All Gaelteacht selection!

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 86 - 13/11/2018 10:25:43    2150909

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "That dream team reads like an All Gaelteacht selection!"
Ya well in fairness there was three Gaeltacht teams in the Semi finals and the all stars are normally have a majority from the finalists and a few from the semi so it's no surprise. Surprise they snubbed Sean Denvir he was one the better players come the knock out stages

PineappleExpres (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 13/11/2018 11:53:07    2150928

Link

Replying To PineappleExpres:  "They want to promote Tuam Stadium as being the true place to play football.

Fuerty will be a closer to Tuam Stadium than Spideal in terms of traveling time.

The pitch is in okay shape I give it that(from what I have seen) but I imagine it's a nightmare for players and coaches to be dealing with the lack of a warm place as they only get 15-18 mins to warm and GAA recommend a 15min warm doesn't leave teams to add on any shooting or free taking is foolish.

Dressing rooms are desperate there and I hope they have a good size ones in the future and the next bit should a warm up field and I would say Tuam would be fantastic to go to then. But until then it's a joke"
The home team have to travel further than the away team to a "home advantage venue"!!!!! Madness tbh. Saturday in pearse stadium would be a lot better option for the home team. Whats the point in having home advantage if it benefits the away team. And i know the hurling final is on in the stadium on sunday. The pitch in there is always in fantastic condition. The big investment made in re doing the pitch should be for weekends like this.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 259 - 13/11/2018 12:57:15    2150939

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "The home team have to travel further than the away team to a "home advantage venue"!!!!! Madness tbh. Saturday in pearse stadium would be a lot better option for the home team. Whats the point in having home advantage if it benefits the away team. And i know the hurling final is on in the stadium on sunday. The pitch in there is always in fantastic condition. The big investment made in re doing the pitch should be for weekends like this."
It's a bit of a joke, I've seen spiddal playing since the semi double header and would like to see them again but not in Tuam, it will waste my precious Sunday.
TBH I feel it's their own fault, if they don't appoint strong minded club officials to represent and oppose such decisions then this is what happens.
County finals are played in pearse and provincials should be or at least the option given, it might suit certain styles and give the home team the advantage that it's suppose to bring.

Soft club officials

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 13/11/2018 15:35:35    2150971

Link

Replying To mise87:  "It's a bit of a joke, I've seen spiddal playing since the semi double header and would like to see them again but not in Tuam, it will waste my precious Sunday.
TBH I feel it's their own fault, if they don't appoint strong minded club officials to represent and oppose such decisions then this is what happens.
County finals are played in pearse and provincials should be or at least the option given, it might suit certain styles and give the home team the advantage that it's suppose to bring.

Soft club officials"
Soft club officals what you talking about.

Club officials have no say in the matter County Board are the ones who have the best chance of allowing the game to be played in Pearse Stadium. But the county board are Pro Hurling and Footballers are a second rate citizens when it comes to actually being treated fairly.

Unfortunately it's also a problem at Galway's Connacht Council Representative either wanting to promote Tuam or the rest of Connacht Council Representatives are in a disagreement against Galway and want to see other teams have a level playing field in terms of venue.

There is too much political manevouring going on

PineappleExpres (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 13/11/2018 16:27:51    2150977

Link