Galway Forum

Intermediate Football Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "This is Spiddals year. Breathnaigh to spend a few years in Intermediate. Spiddal knocking on door now for a few years. Panel is plenty big. Good strong young players in their peak. Arguably Breathnaigh best player Denvir Late thirties. Fintan still recovering. A good few more in mid to late thirties. If Spiddal cant beat the Breathnaigh now they will never beat them. Just talking down their chances. They destroyed MB in Group Stage. Bookies will have Spiddal odds on to win. Defeat for Spiddal would be a tragedy for them. Breathnaigh need a few years in Intermediate to blood in new players. We will have to listen to plenty of slagging from Spiddal lads for a few months, but personally will be happy to see them progressing. MB will go up again in two or three years I think."
Is diabhlaigh an mac thú. Denvir did well to play minor in 2007 if he's in his late 30s.
All the bookies have MB as favourites actually. 8/15 in most places, so heavily favoured.
https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 13/10/2018 10:23:52    2146318

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Is diabhlaigh an mac thú. Denvir did well to play minor in 2007 if he's in his late 30s.
All the bookies have MB as favourites actually. 8/15 in most places, so heavily favoured.
https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football"
Beat them this year now or forget about Seinor footbal with Corrofin and the lot. Breathnaigh a team playing Senior for the last 20 Years with more or less the same panel. Your team is full of young vibrant, strong and fit County players. Clubs dont come back up after dropping. Look at big clubs like Dunmore, Glen, etc. Breathnaigh will give yee a good game but it is your turn to go seinor now.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 13/10/2018 12:48:48    2146333

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Beat them this year now or forget about Seinor footbal with Corrofin and the lot. Breathnaigh a team playing Senior for the last 20 Years with more or less the same panel. Your team is full of young vibrant, strong and fit County players. Clubs dont come back up after dropping. Look at big clubs like Dunmore, Glen, etc. Breathnaigh will give yee a good game but it is your turn to go seinor now."
Full of county players?
You do realise that Spiddal don't have a single player on the Galway senior panel?
And they had one on the u20 panel.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 13/10/2018 15:43:00    2146355

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Full of county players?
You do realise that Spiddal don't have a single player on the Galway senior panel?
And they had one on the u20 panel."
Manus, Lee, Some more I don't know.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 14/10/2018 01:55:27    2146413

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Full of county players?
And they had one on the u20 panel."
Don't even know what the argument is about. They have always been saying they are better than MB and when I agree with them they go off the rails. Of course it is make or bfeak year for Spiddal. They got to final last year did they? They have built this team from Juinor. This year or no year. M B will be back up again in a few years.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 14/10/2018 02:01:48    2146414

Link

Was at Glan vs K/C today. Glan were an absolute joke...serious restructuring needed in that club.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 14/10/2018 03:20:04    2146416

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Manus, Lee, Some more I don't know."
Manus isn't on the county panel though nor are any of the Lees.
That is my point.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 14/10/2018 10:46:57    2146428

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Don't even know what the argument is about. They have always been saying they are better than MB and when I agree with them they go off the rails. Of course it is make or bfeak year for Spiddal. They got to final last year did they? They have built this team from Juinor. This year or no year. M B will be back up again in a few years."
There's no argument, just correcting the seafóid you've been throwing out by the bucketload. You keep saying An Spidéal are favourites when they're clearly not with any bookies. MB are odds-on with everyone.
Putting 10 years on Sean Denvir's age. Saying An Spidéal have more county players.
I also don't see how it's "now or never" for them, seeing as the vast majority of the team are are mid-twenties are younger and they've been steadily improving.
Looking forward to a great battle on Saturday, and whoever wins it, it's good for football in the area.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 15/10/2018 09:01:25    2146552

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "There's no argument, just correcting the seafóid you've been throwing out by the bucketload. You keep saying An Spidéal are favourites when they're clearly not with any bookies. MB are odds-on with everyone.
Putting 10 years on Sean Denvir's age. Saying An Spidéal have more county players.
I also don't see how it's "now or never" for them, seeing as the vast majority of the team are are mid-twenties are younger and they've been steadily improving.
Looking forward to a great battle on Saturday, and whoever wins it, it's good for football in the area."
Pressure is getting to an Slidéal I think! They know if they can't beat a Sliding down Breathna team, they will have no chance beating them on the way up. Surely Sliddal cant let Breathna up again and for them to languish in Intermeadiate? This is the best team since the 70s Spiddal has. Take your chance now.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 15/10/2018 11:30:36    2146583

Link

Replying To manager5:  "Id be blaming the defence and ref in equal measure.they gave him the chance to move the ball in but there were times he had no right to bring it in.one such time was after a manus breathnach free.according to a ref i was talking to the reason it was brought in isnt actually in the gaa rule book.thats the kind of thing Headford had to deal with.
Hopefully both teams will get a fair neutral ref for the final and give them both a chance to win the final on their own merits."
you should tell this ref "friend" of yours to study the rule book a bit better.

4.19 To interfere with a player taking a free kick
or sideline kick by jumping up and down,
waving hands, or any other physical or verbal
interference considered by the referee to be
aimed at distracting the player taking the kick.

Exception
A player holding his hands upright shall not
constitute an interference.
PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS - Free
kick 13m more advantageous than the
place of original kick - up to opponents'
13m line.

This was the case when the spiddal goalkeeper was taking a free. all the headford lads were roaring and waving their hands in an effort to put him off. It is in the rule book but what i will give you is that you very rarely see this rule enforced.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 277 - 15/10/2018 13:01:19    2146604

Link

No problem holding my hands up. Didn't know that the rule existed. First time in over 30 years going to matches that I've seen that rule enforced though. Breathnach was out on the wing when he took that free so the ref took serious liberties with the "13 metres" because he gave the free on the edge of the big square.

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 711 - 15/10/2018 21:12:48    2146694

Link

Replying To manager5:  "No problem holding my hands up. Didn't know that the rule existed. First time in over 30 years going to matches that I've seen that rule enforced though. Breathnach was out on the wing when he took that free so the ref took serious liberties with the "13 metres" because he gave the free on the edge of the big square."
agreed. I rarely if ever see it enforced. Ref was a bit off with his measurements alright.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 277 - 16/10/2018 12:04:47    2146767

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Pressure is getting to an Slidéal I think! They know if they can't beat a Sliding down Breathna team, they will have no chance beating them on the way up. Surely Sliddal cant let Breathna up again and for them to languish in Intermeadiate? This is the best team since the 70s Spiddal has. Take your chance now."
Better than when they had 4 county players in the not too distant past?

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 405 - 18/10/2018 12:28:19    2147111

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Better than when they had 4 county players in the not too distant past?"
It is their turn now to go up. MB has been up there for last 20 or more years. Flags all over the place, Cross Spiddal bridge and the Colours change. GORM AGUS BÁN go deo.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 18/10/2018 18:51:22    2147162

Link

Are Na Breathnaigh and An Spidéal the only clubs in Connemara that have not won intermediate championship. Breathnaigh got lucky in 2004 when they met an already promoted Dunmore in league final just after an internal meltdown. Not sure if they won junior championship either in the late 1990s. did An Spideal win intermediate championship when they were senior in late 1990s. I know the other connemara gaeltacht clubs have.

marys99 (Galway) - Posts: 184 - 18/10/2018 20:23:34    2147170

Link

Are Na Breathnaigh and An Spidéal the only clubs in Connemara that have not won intermediate championship. Breathnaigh got lucky in 2004 when they met an already promoted Dunmore in league final just after an internal meltdown. Not sure if they won junior championship either in the late 1990s. did An Spideal win intermediate championship when they were senior in late 1990s. I know the other connemara gaeltacht clubs have.

marys99 (Galway) - Posts: 184 - 18/10/2018 20:26:54    2147172

Link

Replying To marys99:  "Are Na Breathnaigh and An Spidéal the only clubs in Connemara that have not won intermediate championship. Breathnaigh got lucky in 2004 when they met an already promoted Dunmore in league final just after an internal meltdown. Not sure if they won junior championship either in the late 1990s. did An Spideal win intermediate championship when they were senior in late 1990s. I know the other connemara gaeltacht clubs have."
An Spidéal went up by winning the league final against Corofin in 99, having lost the championship final to Cortoon.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 18/10/2018 23:39:31    2147194

Link

Replying To marys99:  "Are Na Breathnaigh and An Spidéal the only clubs in Connemara that have not won intermediate championship. Breathnaigh got lucky in 2004 when they met an already promoted Dunmore in league final just after an internal meltdown. Not sure if they won junior championship either in the late 1990s. did An Spideal win intermediate championship when they were senior in late 1990s. I know the other connemara gaeltacht clubs have."
Who were the other Clubs who tried their luck to get to the League Final in 2004??

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1537 - 19/10/2018 08:59:01    2147205

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "It is their turn now to go up. MB has been up there for last 20 or more years. Flags all over the place, Cross Spiddal bridge and the Colours change. GORM AGUS BÁN go deo."
Hup An Spidéal!!!!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 549 - 19/10/2018 10:39:02    2147219

Link

Thanks for the update. Looks like one club will get one monkey off their back by winning intermediate championship. Remarkable that so few connemara clubs have actually won a championship.

marys99 (Galway) - Posts: 184 - 19/10/2018 18:46:27    2147281

Link