Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To goalk111:  "Is there any reason why it shouldn't? Galway (hopefully) play the Connacht final on June 17th and Phase 1 of Super 8s is fixed for 14th/15th July. I'm sure KW would allow these games go ahead provided Galway win the Connacht Championship. If Galway end up in the qualifiers, however, it's hard to see Round 2 going ahead."
If we don't win Connacht then yeah, it's possible that the club championship might be put off until Galway are out of the All-Ireland series full stop. That's very hard on the Moycullen, James', Leitir Mor and Barna who all had byes. It could be August before any of them see championship football if we don't win Connacht.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 22/05/2018 18:24:45    2103093

Link

If Galway get 2 Connacht final and loose next round will not be on even if they win it could be pulled the county under 20s will be playing in first week of June so I would imagine that will be taking into account I just hope that if Galway beat Sligo ( expect they will ) the county board will let clubs know then either way not week before , ( wishfully thinking I know )

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 22/05/2018 19:19:19    2103103

Link

June and July usually holiday season for club players be tough for clubs if games do go ahead as planned

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 22/05/2018 22:30:28    2103146

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "If Galway get 2 Connacht final and loose next round will not be on even if they win it could be pulled the county under 20s will be playing in first week of June so I would imagine that will be taking into account I just hope that if Galway beat Sligo ( expect they will ) the county board will let clubs know then either way not week before , ( wishfully thinking I know )"
U20s shouldn't have any bearing since players aren't allowed play both. They should be run-off alongside the seniors, much like the minors. The GAA seem to have made a total dog's dinner out of the U20s though so no fear of that happening.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 23/05/2018 10:29:36    2103207

Link

I was referring 2 county under 20 having a bearing on senior club fixtures if they get to Connacht final

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 23/05/2018 14:56:44    2103293

Link

I am horrified by match reports in tuam herald. Very poor quality and inaccurate analysis in general But whats most shocking is that of the 15 reports man of the match was given to the top scorer in 10 in the other 5 it was given to the joint top or second highest scorer. So in 15 games no consideration was given to the possibility that a goalkeeper , defender , midfielder or hard working forward might be key. And these same reporters will wonder why our county forwards go for their own scores when there are others in better positions. I was at a lot of games ar weekend where top scorers deserved motm e.g. annaghdown game but i was also at games where top scorers were well down the pecking order. Very lazy journalism and no good for the development of quality defenders that we badly need for the future.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 23/05/2018 21:18:25    2103390

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I am horrified by match reports in tuam herald. Very poor quality and inaccurate analysis in general But whats most shocking is that of the 15 reports man of the match was given to the top scorer in 10 in the other 5 it was given to the joint top or second highest scorer. So in 15 games no consideration was given to the possibility that a goalkeeper , defender , midfielder or hard working forward might be key. And these same reporters will wonder why our county forwards go for their own scores when there are others in better positions. I was at a lot of games ar weekend where top scorers deserved motm e.g. annaghdown game but i was also at games where top scorers were well down the pecking order. Very lazy journalism and no good for the development of quality defenders that we badly need for the future."
I agree completly with you, the level of knowledge of the club scene by the Tuam herald reporters is shocking. I can only comment on the 4 matches I saw but the reports were wildly innaccurate with players names & positions mixed up as well as not acknowledging a single defender or ball winning forward in their roles for their respective teams.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 46 - 23/05/2018 21:32:02    2103393

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I am horrified by match reports in tuam herald. Very poor quality and inaccurate analysis in general But whats most shocking is that of the 15 reports man of the match was given to the top scorer in 10 in the other 5 it was given to the joint top or second highest scorer. So in 15 games no consideration was given to the possibility that a goalkeeper , defender , midfielder or hard working forward might be key. And these same reporters will wonder why our county forwards go for their own scores when there are others in better positions. I was at a lot of games ar weekend where top scorers deserved motm e.g. annaghdown game but i was also at games where top scorers were well down the pecking order. Very lazy journalism and no good for the development of quality defenders that we badly need for the future."
Unfair IMO to single out Tuam Hearld for this, this is frequent occurrence across media,broadcast and print irregardless of the sport. I think their coverage is generally very good and expansive, while I don't find occasional columns to my taste by and large their reports are accurate.

Its also worth mentioning that by and Large the top scorer deserves to always be in the running for MOTM and without this player teams would generally not win games. Even if the bulk of the scores are accumulated from frees, in the club game a good free taker is absolutely essential.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 24/05/2018 12:28:21    2103525

Link

On this topic, where is the best place to get good match reports for last weekend's action?

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 24/05/2018 12:44:40    2103532

Link