Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LoughDerg:  "Galway got a rub of the green with the goalie's shoulder, having said that some poor decisions late in he game cost Clare.
The players need some time to recover.
Moloney is in denial, his comment about 19 wides and poor starts to both games, he needs a rewind and the whole group, players and staff alike need to take a serious look at their approach to games at the appropriate time.
Kelly?
I have no idea why he so inconsistent."
The Wide's murdered us not much management can do about that one of those dreadful days

I wonder were Galway players back sufficent distance when Duggans shot blocked though he should have nailed it anyway.

Have we anyone coming through that will make real difference u21s minors off last few years poor enough need cover at back somebody to work with Galvin @ Midfield and one other ball winning wing forward 3 players maybe

my last comments for 2018

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 313 - 08/08/2018 08:47:28    2130715

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Bit of a poor comment really. How could you begrudge Limerick an all Ireland? The only issue I have with Limerick lads is that I dont think they eve gave Clare the respect they deserve but how could you begrudge them an All Ireland when they have only won 1 since the end of WW2?

There are only 3 teams - that I could live the rest of my life happily knowing they did not win another All Ireland and that is Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny. They have enough of them.

If Clare are not going to win, I would like to see anyone out of these 3 win but this year I would like Limerick to win as the pain and anguish they have suffered is enough."
Top man.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 336 - 08/08/2018 18:26:32    2130947

Link

Congrats to Limerick on the win yesterday, it was fully deserved!!

Although I would still rather they had lost haha

It just goes to show that the all ireland was there for us this year - we were every bit as good as galway and we were better than Limerick in ennis.

I think the loss to galway will hurt our players a little bit more today when they see that we were the only team that the all ireland champions were not good enough to beat!!

Its not on 1998 levels but this all ireland is one that got away from us..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1748 - 20/08/2018 09:19:26    2134629

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Congrats to Limerick on the win yesterday, it was fully deserved!!

It just goes to show that the all ireland was there for us this year - we were every bit as good as galway and we were better than Limerick in ennis.

I think the loss to galway will hurt our players a little bit more today when they see that we were the only team that the all ireland champions were not good enough to beat!!

Its not on 1998 levels but this all ireland is one that got away from us.."
Where a young team, the hurt should drive them on. Knowing your that close has to be great motivation.

Fairplay to Limerick.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 51 - 20/08/2018 10:36:04    2134646

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Congrats to Limerick on the win yesterday, it was fully deserved!!

Munster will be incredible next year. Any 3 could come out. Appreciate your sentiments. I do think limericks win this year will be seen for what it is. Probably the best all Ireland ever won. Beat Tipperary Waterford Kilkenny Cork Galway. Never been done before. Limerick lost to Clare yes but had already qualified out of Munster. If it was straight knockout like all ire semi or final it would have been some battle.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 336 - 24/08/2018 17:18:13    2136370

Link

You say Clare were better than Limerick 'in Ennis' and for what it matters that is true, however Clare played Cork twice and lost, Limerick played Cork twice, drew one game with 14 men for 45 minutes and their captaain, and as Sunday last and the semi final showed, what a captain and talisman he is, off after 6 or 7 minutes and then beat them in extra time in Croke Park. In fairness ye had two chances against Galway and really led for a short period in one of those games, yet Limerick beat them twice, in Salhill, after being 8 points down, and without the Na Piarsaigh players and in Croke Park, when several people I have spoken to from neutral hurling counties claim they were a far more superior team to Galway than the final score would suggest.
We will wait and see but I would not put much weight on that Ennis result.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1649 - 24/08/2018 23:31:55    2136445

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "You say Clare were better than Limerick 'in Ennis' and for what it matters that is true, however Clare played Cork twice and lost, Limerick played Cork twice, drew one game with 14 men for 45 minutes and their captaain, and as Sunday last and the semi final showed, what a captain and talisman he is, off after 6 or 7 minutes and then beat them in extra time in Croke Park. In fairness ye had two chances against Galway and really led for a short period in one of those games, yet Limerick beat them twice, in Salhill, after being 8 points down, and without the Na Piarsaigh players and in Croke Park, when several people I have spoken to from neutral hurling counties claim they were a far more superior team to Galway than the final score would suggest.
We will wait and see but I would not put much weight on that Ennis result."
I was merely stating a fact buddy!

Interestingly Clare are the only hurling county unbeaten in our last 4 visits to croke park!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1748 - 27/08/2018 16:26:32    2136843

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I was merely stating a fact buddy!

Interestingly Clare are the only hurling county unbeaten in our last 4 visits to croke park!"
It is equally factual to point out that Clare had two chances to beat Galway and were only ahead one over 2 games while a Limerick team including Gillane who didn't start in Ennis were only headed once by Galway. Equally true to point out that Cork comprehensively beat Clare on two separate occasions and they couldn't even beat Limerick who played 45 mins with 14 men at home. Just facts buddy and my facts are based on what happened over 7 games and yours is based on a one off.

Green2debone (Limerick) - Posts: 10 - 27/08/2018 20:57:18    2136920

Link

Replying To Green2debone:  "It is equally factual to point out that Clare had two chances to beat Galway and were only ahead one over 2 games while a Limerick team including Gillane who didn't start in Ennis were only headed once by Galway. Equally true to point out that Cork comprehensively beat Clare on two separate occasions and they couldn't even beat Limerick who played 45 mins with 14 men at home. Just facts buddy and my facts are based on what happened over 7 games and yours is based on a one off."
Thanks for that pal, I do love facts. No arguing with any of that!

Although as im sure you know every game is different. As Cody would say "every game takes on a life of it's own"

The main fact though that we can take away from the year though is Limerick were not good enough to beat clare!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1748 - 28/08/2018 12:33:17    2137067

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Thanks for that pal, I do love facts. No arguing with any of that!

Although as im sure you know every game is different. As Cody would say "every game takes on a life of it's own"

The main fact though that we can take away from the year though is Limerick were not good enough to beat clare!"
Ha ha would the main fact expert not be that the Limerick team that took the field in Ennis was certainly not good enough to beat Clare. Game in Ennis was big turning point for us. It showed us where we had weaknesses that needed to be addressed. If somehow we beat Clare I don't think a Limerick team with Dowling at full forward would have beaten Kilkenny. Pat Ryan's goal was vital against Cork he wasn't even on the panel in Ennis. Taking off G Mulcahy at half time is a mistake we haven't made since and he now in running for hurler of the year and of course P Casey's contribution has been huge since he first came on against Carlow. It's been a good year for Clare no doubt and beating Limerick is one of the highlights and it was definitely a real help to Limerick too. Here's to 2019 expert.

Green2debone (Limerick) - Posts: 10 - 28/08/2018 13:52:20    2137114

Link

Replying To Green2debone:  "Ha ha would the main fact expert not be that the Limerick team that took the field in Ennis was certainly not good enough to beat Clare. Game in Ennis was big turning point for us. It showed us where we had weaknesses that needed to be addressed. If somehow we beat Clare I don't think a Limerick team with Dowling at full forward would have beaten Kilkenny. Pat Ryan's goal was vital against Cork he wasn't even on the panel in Ennis. Taking off G Mulcahy at half time is a mistake we haven't made since and he now in running for hurler of the year and of course P Casey's contribution has been huge since he first came on against Carlow. It's been a good year for Clare no doubt and beating Limerick is one of the highlights and it was definitely a real help to Limerick too. Here's to 2019 expert."
Glad we could help the Limerick cause!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1748 - 03/09/2018 10:13:18    2138653

Link

Anyone know what the management teams intentions are for 2019?

One would imagine if they are to step away, it would have to be announced within the next 10 days!!

Although if as is widely expected they do stay on, it would be nice to have it clarified.

Anthony Daly is probably also eager to find out whether he will finally have the hot eat back again next year or not....

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1748 - 11/09/2018 13:47:32    2141013

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Glad we could help the Limerick cause!!"
H.E
Just as a final reflection on this years championship, the role of the extended panel was hardly ever more relevant. The fact is, even in the late teens, twenties and thirties, when Limerick were on a crest of a wave did we have such a potentially strong panel of players and possibly will never have the same again, once these boys exit the stage. No less that nine players came on as replacements, and all acquitted themselves reasonble well, between the draw and extra time in the semi final and the final. Even at that Kevin Downes and Barry Murphy, who scored that crucial goal against Tipp were surplus to requirements.
Yes I know every county, with Clare featuring strongly, have just as strong panels.
My question is how long can counties with relatively small hurling populations compete with those with greater numbers playing the game, like Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork and Galway. I have always felt the six sub and blood sub rules were put in place to favour the bigger counties and I believe that more than ever now, although for once, and probably once only, it seems to be helping us.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1649 - 13/09/2018 09:30:37    2141349

Link