Mayo Forum

What's the Mayo mood like now?

(Oldest Posts First)

Well fellow Mayo fans....as the year end approached what is your feeling around what we have witnessed and what may be in store for 2018?

It was a roller coaster year with many highs which ended in a painful low, a difficult one to take as we played so well for long periods in the final where as in other years we just seemed to be hanging on.

Credit to Dublin, they are a fine team and we are very unlucky that our greatest ever team is coming up against the greatest ever Dublin team.

Onto 2018....I think once the attitude is right (which it is) we can again challenge. I believe we must take he direct route though...2 years navigating the qualifiers while it provides great days out and drama for us fans, I think with the super 8's our game v Galway is even bigger.

Can we finally land the big one or will it be tears again? I know I keep saying it but time waits for no man and it needs to happen soon for this particular Mayo team.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 12/12/2017 12:38:28    2064969

Link

Probably our best chance of capturing Sam has gone at this stage, though if we stay relatively free of injuries we will still be in the mix come August or September.

A lot depends on the outcome of the opening round of the championship against Galway (how do the Rossies keep getting the handy side of the draw?!?). Lose that and we've another arduous trek through the qualifiers/Super 8s, which will be tough to manage for a third year in a row with the squad we have.

I'd be of a mind to say "to hell with the league" this season, blood some youngsters and only throw the more experienced players in for the do and die stuff, á la the Donegal match last season. The senior guys have played an awful lot of football over the past few years (so many replays and games going to extra-time!) and could probably do with a resteen ahead of the crunch games.

Gleebo (Mayo) - 12/12/2017 16:11:20    2064999

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Probably our best chance of capturing Sam has gone at this stage, though if we stay relatively free of injuries we will still be in the mix come August or September.

A lot depends on the outcome of the opening round of the championship against Galway (how do the Rossies keep getting the handy side of the draw?!?). Lose that and we've another arduous trek through the qualifiers/Super 8s, which will be tough to manage for a third year in a row with the squad we have.

I'd be of a mind to say "to hell with the league" this season, blood some youngsters and only throw the more experienced players in for the do and die stuff, á la the Donegal match last season. The senior guys have played an awful lot of football over the past few years (so many replays and games going to extra-time!) and could probably do with a resteen ahead of the crunch games."
True but I don't think getting relegated in the league is good championship preparation. A mid table finish again will do but would winning the league be any harm? Might be good for us although I know training is tailored to late summer especially with so many players living outside the county

yew_tree (Mayo) - 12/12/2017 17:56:14    2065010

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "True but I don't think getting relegated in the league is good championship preparation. A mid table finish again will do but would winning the league be any harm? Might be good for us although I know training is tailored to late summer especially with so many players living outside the county"
Not sure, it didn't do the Rossies too much harm in terms of their championship run last season (up until their replay with Mayo, anyway). I'm not sure that we'd have a deep enough panel to sustain an assault on the league and championship over an entire season, especially given that Leeroy will be missing for the NFL now, and some of the wear and tear shipped by the more senior players over the past few years,

I think the Super Eight format will also probably suit the Dubs, given the strength of their panel.

Gleebo (Mayo) - 13/12/2017 14:15:39    2065092

Link

Mayos physical preparation has been well honed in recent seasons,so more of the same should be enough to have Mayo playing championship in August.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - 16/01/2018 13:47:09    2068695

Link