Roscommon Forum

Smaller Clubs Vanishing

(Oldest Posts First)

I know we all want the big success on the national stage such as intercounty and club. I know it is important to keep us club wise as strong as possible but are we putting our smaller teams to the sword by the way our league rules are. I was at a division 5 game where kilmore had 6 starters from the team that won the county final the previous year is it time to make the bigger clubs name more than 15 players to help the smaller single teams club compete. We have already lost Ronans as a club and I can see it only going one way for afew other clubs in Roscommon.

We all want success for this county me more than anyone but are we forgetting the true meaning of the Gaa Community Family pride of place. There could be afew rule changes to help the smaller clubs compete and if they are competing it will bring in more players which will ensure there survival.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Are Roscommon going to let more clubs vanished that are steeped in history.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 29/11/2017 09:09:55    2063961

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "I know we all want the big success on the national stage such as intercounty and club. I know it is important to keep us club wise as strong as possible but are we putting our smaller teams to the sword by the way our league rules are. I was at a division 5 game where kilmore had 6 starters from the team that won the county final the previous year is it time to make the bigger clubs name more than 15 players to help the smaller single teams club compete. We have already lost Ronans as a club and I can see it only going one way for afew other clubs in Roscommon.

We all want success for this county me more than anyone but are we forgetting the true meaning of the Gaa Community Family pride of place. There could be afew rule changes to help the smaller clubs compete and if they are competing it will bring in more players which will ensure there survival.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Are Roscommon going to let more clubs vanished that are steeped in history."
I'm not from Roscommon, but as far as I'm aware, St Ronans still exist.

LooseCannon (Offaly) - Posts: 66 - 18/12/2017 14:28:57    2065522

Link

Replying To LooseCannon:  "I'm not from Roscommon, but as far as I'm aware, St Ronans still exist."
Ronans have amalgamated with michaels

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 03/01/2018 09:48:31    2066566

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ronans have amalgamated with michaels"
A sad sight. I wouldn't wish it on our bittermost rivals.

LooseCannon (Offaly) - Posts: 66 - 08/01/2018 19:48:39    2067401

Link

What is Roscommon's smallest club?

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 860 - 08/01/2018 20:32:54    2067405

Link

Rumour has Ronans are going to try and field on there own this year due to not been able to agree with michaels on certain aspect of the imaligamation. St Josephs are the smallest but the fear is there days are also numbered due to the tiny pick and the gaels picking up anyone with any promise.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 09/01/2018 11:02:30    2067468

Link

Replying To LooseCannon:  "A sad sight. I wouldn't wish it on our bittermost rivals."
Only at underage

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1121 - 09/01/2018 15:40:31    2067532

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Rumour has Ronans are going to try and field on there own this year due to not been able to agree with michaels on certain aspect of the imaligamation. St Josephs are the smallest but the fear is there days are also numbered due to the tiny pick and the gaels picking up anyone with any promise."
That allegation that Ros Gaels take any St Joe's players that show promise is total and utter uneducated tripe from someone who obviously knows nothing about Roscommon parish,Kilteevan is in parish of Roscommon town and all kids in Kilteevan play for The Gaels up to U20.Ros Gaels are those Kilteevan lads first club and none of current senior panel are from Kilteevan half of Roscommon parish!!!!

Gaelrossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 37 - 10/01/2018 20:19:43    2067700

Link

Replying To Gaelrossie:  "That allegation that Ros Gaels take any St Joe's players that show promise is total and utter uneducated tripe from someone who obviously knows nothing about Roscommon parish,Kilteevan is in parish of Roscommon town and all kids in Kilteevan play for The Gaels up to U20.Ros Gaels are those Kilteevan lads first club and none of current senior panel are from Kilteevan half of Roscommon parish!!!!"
did Ros Gaels not get two transfers from the Joes over the winter?

reffingmad (Roscommon) - Posts: 154 - 11/01/2018 08:00:52    2067751

Link

Ya they did get two players from Kilteevan, and it is very true.
There is no problem with lads from Kilteevan staying with the Gaels after underage if thats what they want to do but when players go back out to saint josephs and then start to show abit of promise they are been coaxed back into town getting phones calls and the likes.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 11/01/2018 14:12:47    2067806

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ya they did get two players from Kilteevan, and it is very true.
There is no problem with lads from Kilteevan staying with the Gaels after underage if thats what they want to do but when players go back out to saint josephs and then start to show abit of promise they are been coaxed back into town getting phones calls and the likes."
There was lads from a lot further away that Kilteevan getting phone calls off the gaels last year trying to coak them to join them

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 940 - 11/01/2018 15:08:29    2067812

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ya they did get two players from Kilteevan, and it is very true.
There is no problem with lads from Kilteevan staying with the Gaels after underage if thats what they want to do but when players go back out to saint josephs and then start to show abit of promise they are been coaxed back into town getting phones calls and the likes."
The majority of younger players with the Joe's are from the town!!!!!!They are transferring back because they want to play for Roscommon Gaels and play at senior level and not at junior x level!!!!!
Roscommon Gaels have trained these players from the age of 6 so it's natural they want to continue and any player who wants to play senior will always be welcome!!!it's great to see young lads having ambition and wanting to improve themselves!!!

Gaelrossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 37 - 11/01/2018 17:13:10    2067843

Link

Replying To Gaelrossie:  "The majority of younger players with the Joe's are from the town!!!!!!They are transferring back because they want to play for Roscommon Gaels and play at senior level and not at junior x level!!!!!
Roscommon Gaels have trained these players from the age of 6 so it's natural they want to continue and any player who wants to play senior will always be welcome!!!it's great to see young lads having ambition and wanting to improve themselves!!!"
But the reality is yhat must end up playing the Joes for the gaels junior team...

reffingmad (Roscommon) - Posts: 154 - 11/01/2018 21:40:40    2067878

Link

Replying To Gaelrossie:  "The majority of younger players with the Joe's are from the town!!!!!!They are transferring back because they want to play for Roscommon Gaels and play at senior level and not at junior x level!!!!!
Roscommon Gaels have trained these players from the age of 6 so it's natural they want to continue and any player who wants to play senior will always be welcome!!!it's great to see young lads having ambition and wanting to improve themselves!!!"
Your not really getting my point here and this is not just confined to joes lads this goes further afield. As far out as creggs if you remember correctly. I am saying any Kilteevan lads who plays all his underage with ros gaels and wants to stay there all power to them i fully agree with that play where you want. My problem is when a lad is playing for another team they should not be contacted to come and play for another its not fair on the smaller teams that are struggling and i think even most gaels men would support that.

That 3 players joes have lost in previous years are all kilteevan men.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 12/01/2018 08:38:29    2067908

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Your not really getting my point here and this is not just confined to joes lads this goes further afield. As far out as creggs if you remember correctly. I am saying any Kilteevan lads who plays all his underage with ros gaels and wants to stay there all power to them i fully agree with that play where you want. My problem is when a lad is playing for another team they should not be contacted to come and play for another its not fair on the smaller teams that are struggling and i think even most gaels men would support that.

That 3 players joes have lost in previous years are all kilteevan men."
Completely agree, and it has being going on unchecked for years.

Jonnycee (Longford) - Posts: 97 - 12/01/2018 11:54:39    2067947

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Your not really getting my point here and this is not just confined to joes lads this goes further afield. As far out as creggs if you remember correctly. I am saying any Kilteevan lads who plays all his underage with ros gaels and wants to stay there all power to them i fully agree with that play where you want. My problem is when a lad is playing for another team they should not be contacted to come and play for another its not fair on the smaller teams that are struggling and i think even most gaels men would support that.

That 3 players joes have lost in previous years are all kilteevan men."
Poaching players from Ros Gaels has gone on for years at underage level by several clubs and if parish rule was enforced those clubs would have won nothing without those players who lived in Roscommon town!!!!!Instead of knocking clubs like the Gaels those junior clubs should stop whingeing and concentrate on offering decent level of football to their players.The Joe's know they will never have sufficient numbers to compete above junior level and realistically will have to come back to town to play. When most Kilteevan players do retire and look back at their winner medals it reads Gaeil Roscomain.

Gaelrossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 37 - 12/01/2018 15:50:51    2067985

Link

Replying To Gaelrossie:  "Poaching players from Ros Gaels has gone on for years at underage level by several clubs and if parish rule was enforced those clubs would have won nothing without those players who lived in Roscommon town!!!!!Instead of knocking clubs like the Gaels those junior clubs should stop whingeing and concentrate on offering decent level of football to their players.The Joe's know they will never have sufficient numbers to compete above junior level and realistically will have to come back to town to play. When most Kilteevan players do retire and look back at their winner medals it reads Gaeil Roscomain."
oh because the gaels have been flooded with medals in recent times.There is no player ever poached away from the gaels that is actually playing for the gaels, its all players who have fallen to the way side which is huge in roscommon gaels and are looking for a club to feel part of a community and play ball. I think it perfectly sums up the gaels attitude to there neighbors in your post no interest in seeing the rural club survive. Dont ever forget what the GAA is really about, its not medals its not glory its community its the love of the game. If your smaller clubs go there goes the heart of so many communities. I have one my fair share of medals that are now gathering dust that i havent looked at in years but when i sit in the pub i have the memories of playing with my local club which every person in the country should have the opportunity to do no matter where they are from.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 15/01/2018 10:11:46    2068425

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "oh because the gaels have been flooded with medals in recent times.There is no player ever poached away from the gaels that is actually playing for the gaels, its all players who have fallen to the way side which is huge in roscommon gaels and are looking for a club to feel part of a community and play ball. I think it perfectly sums up the gaels attitude to there neighbors in your post no interest in seeing the rural club survive. Dont ever forget what the GAA is really about, its not medals its not glory its community its the love of the game. If your smaller clubs go there goes the heart of so many communities. I have one my fair share of medals that are now gathering dust that i havent looked at in years but when i sit in the pub i have the memories of playing with my local club which every person in the country should have the opportunity to do no matter where they are from."
Completely agree with every point you have made. Most young guys from around the town that are playing with smaller clubs do so because the Geals have let then slip through the cracks. If it weren't for the smaller clubs providing a footballing platform and a sense of community, most of these young guys would have retired at the age of 20. I believe it's a poor reflection on the Geals as a club. All the lads that have left for other clubs are lads that have been forgotten by their parent club. If only other users of this forum would concentrate on improving their own club, instead of commenting on a small rural club doing it's best to survive with very small numbers and resources.
There is also a big difference between a small club providing an outlet for young guys that have been forgotten about than a big club actively trying to poach the top one or two players from smaller clubs. This has been going on for years.

Ball4life (Roscommon) - Posts: 1 - 15/01/2018 12:00:51    2068449

Link

Replying To Ball4life:  "Completely agree with every point you have made. Most young guys from around the town that are playing with smaller clubs do so because the Geals have let then slip through the cracks. If it weren't for the smaller clubs providing a footballing platform and a sense of community, most of these young guys would have retired at the age of 20. I believe it's a poor reflection on the Geals as a club. All the lads that have left for other clubs are lads that have been forgotten by their parent club. If only other users of this forum would concentrate on improving their own club, instead of commenting on a small rural club doing it's best to survive with very small numbers and resources.
There is also a big difference between a small club providing an outlet for young guys that have been forgotten about than a big club actively trying to poach the top one or two players from smaller clubs. This has been going on for years."
I dont think a Forum on Hoganstand will change anything but its sad really to see little communities lose their identity.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 298 - 15/01/2018 15:37:21    2068517

Link