Donegal Forum

New Players To Watch During Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheRock2121:  "My top 8 would be.

Carroll
Mc Gee

Langan
O Donnell
Thompson
Odhran

Mc Brearty
Murphy

Impact
Thompson
Aaron Doherty
Gallan"
And no Hugh McFadden??

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 59 - 08/10/2019 18:53:21    2242144

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Am I wrong to get excited about potentially a front 6 next year of Mcneilias, O'Donnell, Thomson half forward and full forward of mcberety, Murphy and Jamie Brennan..I know it's early but that is a serious front 6 all depending if Ordhran commits which I think he will..?"
I would agree with folks stating that there's not been much stand out players from those already known though that's not really surprising. The role of the inside forward is trickier to play than it ever has been because of more players back defending. There's probably more joy coming out the field and looking to come on to the ball and create a bit of space that way. Mcbrearty did that to good effect on Sunday last.
I do though see Mcbrearty, Jamie brennan, oisin gallen, possibly eoghan mcgettigan from glenties as the corner forwards and see some combination of that being named at 13 and 15. Playing in a different era Murphy would potentiallly have been the best full forward to ever play the game. I see him playing ff next year and not coming out much at all. The primary reason being the offensive mark (assuming it comes in)

Niall o'donnell is a very talented centre half forward (would possibly be player of the club championship to date) and likely to be flanked by the likes of langan, Thompson, mcniallais, maybe eoin or ryan mchugh depending on opposition. I'd love to see patton pinging kickouts to mcniallais and him in turn pinging the ball into murphy.

Midfield you are talking about mcfadden and mcgee and possibly carroll. Mcgonagle played the league last year but I don't think he seen any time in the championship. Langan if he can bulk up a bit might also be a midfield option.

Wing half backs Ryan mchugh, mcfadden-Ferry, daire obaoill, caolan ward and ban. Chb is a challenge as is the full back line. Neil mcgee still looks very decent though injuries have been a challenge. Mcmenamin had a very decent year and hopefully will continue to grow next year. Mcgrath is injured to at least championship time. Developing this area is crucial. Gillespie, assuming he can get back to full fitness has the look of a decent full back and maybe someone like Morrison in the corner. Think though they will have to persist working on mcfadden Ferry and or eoin ban. In relation to chb would carroll be worth trying? He's big strong and mobile. He'd be hard to run through and would carry the ball forward well when required. It might take a while to develop him but I just don't see too many folks being able to fill this position. Some younger lads like Mogan and dolan will come into the panel and it will be interesting to see how they and say Aaron Doherty develop.

I see gallen had trials in Australia and will he go if offered a contract by some team? From a pure selfish donegal point of view I'd hope not because he could add something major next year. He's definitely got real quality about him.

Assuming all players are willing to commit and we don't get cursed by injury again there should be no limits to this teams ambition.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 217 - 08/10/2019 20:21:00    2242168

Link

@Rory Gall35, That is a formidable front six. However there has to be question mark over Jamie Brennan. Had good national league and Ulster champ but disappeared in the super 8s and did not play well for Bundoran v Gweedore in club champ. This is where county management has to step up with the alternatives and go with Aaron Doherty or whoever is showing well.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 213 - 08/10/2019 20:50:57    2242174

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "No Jamie Brennan?"
Think those named are better.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 377 - 09/10/2019 01:21:34    2242235

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "And no Hugh McFadden??"
Reckon Carroll do a similar role and has more fball in him. Management will go with mc fadden however

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 377 - 09/10/2019 01:22:35    2242236

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Reckon Carroll do a similar role and has more fball in him. Management will go with mc fadden however"
What type of football has he in him that McFadden hasn't got.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 586 - 09/10/2019 12:09:16    2242318

Link

Replying To gunman:  "What type of football has he in him that McFadden hasn't got."
mc Fadden is a leader with the right attitude which makes him the player he is. Consistently our most consistent player year in year out.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 671 - 09/10/2019 12:56:11    2242332

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Reckon Carroll do a similar role and has more fball in him. Management will go with mc fadden however"
Jes Rock2121..did you see the Kilcar v killybegs semi-final? Hughie was a collesses at that game. Dam nearly took the whole Kilcar team on his own..

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 59 - 09/10/2019 13:10:20    2242334

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Jes Rock2121..did you see the Kilcar v killybegs semi-final? Hughie was a collesses at that game. Dam nearly took the whole Kilcar team on his own.."
That's true in fairness. Was at it. Nothing against Mc Fadden but just would like to see Carroll here. Maybe not in the exact same role but he can do the gritty also.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 377 - 09/10/2019 22:02:06    2242461

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "mc Fadden is a leader with the right attitude which makes him the player he is. Consistently our most consistent player year in year out."
He had a vgood year this year yes.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 377 - 09/10/2019 22:02:38    2242462

Link