Donegal Forum

Mayo V Donegal (Mchale Park)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On another note terrible news about Jason Doherty. Whatever grievances between the supporters and the teams can be put aside in this case. Wishing and hoping him a successful recovery.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2112 - 07/08/2019 23:18:56    2222514

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Excellent posts Manus. I for one generally prefer terrace settings but €25 for last Saturday was a joke. Did not fancy soaking my backside and getting a decent standing position was near impossible. You are spot on about the conditions changing between the halfs but was just another bit of luck going against Donegal. But no excuse all the same Mayo's intensity, hunger and generally far smarter play is what got them a deserving win. I watched back the match last night which was tough going especially listening to Dick Clerkin who was shocking. Like the black card was not even an argument and when at game I thought pen was very soft there is no doubt Keegan has a hold but more crucially shows little attention in the ball till late while Murphy is totally focused on winning it. As bad as Donegal were esp in those last 20 mins or the first half the game was still there for them. Saying that its a while since Ryan was so poor whatever was going on there despite Durcan excelling. Plus Jamie's confidence was completely shot unfortunately. Also Hugh was more concerned with macho nonsense rather than doing what he was supposed to be doing. We let Mayo dictate far too much and I hope the younger lads learn from this. When reviewing I actually thought DOB was better again. Never gave up and was constantly looking to drive it on. Got a great score when everyone else was missing easier ones including Paddy who won't be pleased with his performance."
Daire was in for a goal to at a crucial time and went for it IMO- got under it and the ball rifled over the bar but from the way he struck it you could tell he was going for goal and it was a decent chance if he could have kept it down.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 204 - 08/08/2019 14:12:44    2222684

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Daire was in for a goal to at a crucial time and went for it IMO- got under it and the ball rifled over the bar but from the way he struck it you could tell he was going for goal and it was a decent chance if he could have kept it down."
Yeah but it was not an easy goal chance. I thought at time taking it on was wrong option but not when I reviewed. I was actually talking about his other point out the field.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2112 - 08/08/2019 15:59:47    2222728

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Would it be fair to say that Mayo did to us what Kilkenny did to Limerick.They suffocated them with pure intensity and Limerick almost seemed to be in shock for a good while.I thought it interesting that John McEntee who was with Rochford at Mayo said on Thursday "we may well be looking at a situation next Monday where Donegal who I do believe are a better team are out of the championship.I guess that's what happened."
Defensively, this Donegal performance was not out of sync with other matches, albeit we were lucky in this regard. Ultimately this match was lost in midfield and in our attack play getting stuck in Mayo's 45 when we did win kick-outs and breaking ball.

Things that enabled Mayo to win
1. Mayo brought a high level of intensity in the first half which caught us off guard, which was aided by a massive home support. .
2. They had a more experience midfield, and were able to effectively compete for 50:50 ball during our kick outs and mop up breaking ball.
3. They had more physicality around their own 45, and were effective in slowing or disrupting our attacks and forcing turnovers.
4. Our decision making in the final third was really poor, and all of our forwards kicked wides or dropped shots short, at least 50% of our wides should have went over.

Defensively we were exposed in the absence of Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath and Eoghan Ban Gallagher, with Stephen McMenamin being excellent, and Odhran McFadden Ferry looking decent, we otherwise looked weak at the back despite only conceding 1-14.

We should have beat this Mayo team, but in some ways the learning's from this game will be hugely valuable for Declan and the team in 2020.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 502 - 08/08/2019 23:56:27    2222890

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Defensively, this Donegal performance was not out of sync with other matches, albeit we were lucky in this regard. Ultimately this match was lost in midfield and in our attack play getting stuck in Mayo's 45 when we did win kick-outs and breaking ball.

1. Mayo brought a high level of intensity in the first half which caught us off guard, which was aided by a massive home support. .
2. They had a more experience midfield, and were able to effectively compete for 50:50 ball during our kick outs and mop up breaking ball.
3. They had more physicality around their own 45, and were effective in slowing or disrupting our attacks and forcing turnovers.
4. Our decision making in the final third was really poor, and all of our forwards kicked wides or dropped shots short, at least 50% of our wides should have went over.

Defensively we were exposed in the absence of Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath and Eoghan Ban Gallagher, with Stephen McMenamin being excellent, and Odhran McFadden Ferry looking decent, we otherwise looked weak at the back despite only conceding 1-14.

We should have beat this Mayo team, but in some ways the learning's from this game will be hugely valuable for Declan and the team in 2020."
We are playing essentially half backs as full backs and it is something we need to address. OMFF could do a job there but is a bit hasty and easily turned which you can get away with out the field but not inside. I think Neil was a big loss too especially when Moran came on. Think while he might not have totally nullified Moran he certainly would have to a degree.

Stephen Rochford was on otb am this morning and spoke excellently. Plus hinted he will probably be staying on which of course is positive news.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2112 - 09/08/2019 22:32:03    2223232

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Defensively, this Donegal performance was not out of sync with other matches, albeit we were lucky in this regard. Ultimately this match was lost in midfield and in our attack play getting stuck in Mayo's 45 when we did win kick-outs and breaking ball.

We should have beat this Mayo team, but in some ways the learning's from this game will be hugely valuable for Declan and the team in 2020."
The only slight differing view I'd have is that we were not that bad on kickouts. We did get turned over a few times in the first half but won all in the second though mayo were not really pressing. We actually turned over the mayo kick out quite a bit throughout the game
The rest of your points I agree with fully.

In relation to th fb line it does need work. I've mentioned before that I'd agree with omff being a hb but see know reason why he can't work at becoming an very good corner back. Yes, he is a bit hasty and gets caught out a bit but these are all workable on in training. He's very quick, tough good balance and does not spare himself on the field. These are the attributes you can't train and it's easy to forget that the mayo match was only his forth ever match playing for donegal.

Hopefully ban will make a good recovery and I for one just assume that hb is his position but he played more floating corner back last year and had a very good year there. He made a huge amount of forays up the field and the forward has to track that so maybe he goes back. Mcmenamin also has had decent this year.

I just don't see caolan ward in the fb line, he's a decent hb. I wonder could you work on peadar Mogan as a corner back, I know he is not tall but he's very quick and has good agility. Mccole could develop further in the league next year and maybe Morrison will come back in. There is definitely opportunity for players to put their hand up in the club championship.

And as I mentioned in a previous post the advent of the offensive mark will probably change the dynamic of the ff line and the fb line and it might lend itself to a fit Gillespie coming in at fb.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 217 - 10/08/2019 10:50:03    2223305

Link