Derry Forum

Progression at Minor and Senior Football

(Oldest Posts First)

Folks, here is a daunting statistic for all Derry GAA fans to take stock of.........Our minor team hasn't won a 1st round Ulster championship match in 6 years, our Seniors have been beaten three years on the trot in their first outing, add into the mix that two those 3 games were played at Celtic Park. Our minors having won an Ulster title since 2002, seniors 1998 and the last notable success for our U21's was 1997.

Our county has massively underachieved, we probably have the most competitive club football in the whole of Ulster , I know there is a big difference between club and county football but there must be something fundamentally wrong within the county when we witness failure at all levels year in and out. I feel until we have success at minor or U21 level we are going to have no or little success at senior level. We need to instill a winning mentality into county football in Derry. However, our underage players need to be trained as winners and not accept second best which is the case at present.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 25/05/2014 18:44:18    1593257

Link

we made progress in the league this year but again disappointing in the championship we played attacking football in the league but once we came up against the blanket defence we struggled big time,as for the minors are these development squads working?need a experienced manager to bring minors through.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 25/05/2014 21:46:08    1593359

Link

Oakgael, derry minors beat Donegal in 2012 in the quarter final. That said that record is awful given the talent that was at disposable of those managers.

I don't necessarily buy into this theory of underage success it can sometimes be deceiving. For example look at that Donegal team yesterday, the age profile of the team is quite contrasting and they seem to have been able to get 2 or 3 players from each underage team whom end up playing senior football. On the other hand you look at Cavan and certainly you would envy their recent record at under 21 level but that will not guarantee senior success in Ulster over the next few years given the competition which currently exists. I personally believe for underage success the management and organisation of the teams is crucial and that's what I would question within Derry the last couple of years. We were lead to believe Paddy Crozier was taking an hands on approach with regards to this, this season. Regarding the u21 and minor teams this season, Cavan beat us who realisticly should have beat dublin the all Ireland champions in the semi final and yesterday the minors performed well against a Donegal team joint favourites to win ulster. So I wouldn't be getting too concerned just yet.

unclederry (Derry) - Posts: 67 - 26/05/2014 20:46:15    1593864

Link

93vintageyear
County: Derry

we made progress in the league this year but again disappointing in the championship we played attacking football in the league but once we came up against the blanket defence we struggled big time,as for the minors are these development squads working?need a experienced manager to bring minors through.

I was a bit worried before this game, as Division 1 was all very open styled attacking teams this year. While Division 2 had the defensive physical sides like Monaghan, Donegal, Down, Meath and Laois all grouped together. When I seen Down rattle Tyrone, I suspected Division 2 wasn't as weak as many suggested.

Derry have to take some positives away from Sunday though. We lost by a single score to a Donegal side, who are recent All Ireland Champions and are hard ass team to break down.

I feel Derry will reach the All Ireland series this year, at which point we will give it a good rattle.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 28/05/2014 21:59:44    1594980

Link