Derry Forum

McKenna Cup

(Oldest Posts First)

Decent enough start to McIver's reign. Seems like we were competitive, albeit it in what was more or less a friendly match.

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 07/01/2013 09:58:14    1314493

Link

Nothing friendly about the game yesterday, there were a good few wrestling matches going on all over the show from early on and I think it showed that Derry were up for the game. There was a big crowd at the game and, as you would expect, the great bulk of this was from Tyrone. When the crowd got behind their team in the last 5 - 10 mins they gave them a massive lift and this combined with the late subs, McCurry, Harte and the goal scorer, it robbed Derry who were 2 points up with 3 mins to play, of what would have been in any competition, a great victory. I left Omagh in far better form that when I arrived even without the victory and the points.
There were some serious standout performances yesterday, PJ McCloskey was outstanding and scored 3 great points in the second half. one of them after selling a great dummy and pointing from 30 metres off the outside of the boot a la F Doherty in better days. M Lynch belongs at number 6 and played a great physical game yesterday and wasnt afraid to throw his weight around. R Wilkinson played well and R Bell and L Kennedy look the part. LCB (Browne?) came on late and made a great block on a near certain goal and then made another few interventions and did a great job, very impressive.
I know its early Jan but I've had a dread hanging over me since June regarding this Derry squad and I feel that B McIver has done a great job pulling these fellas together and introducing the new personnel. Theres definitely a freshness about the squad and in the last 10 of the first half and first fifteen of the second they played with a degree of control and skill which lifted my heart no end.
All we need now is some support.....!!!

spudmunky (Derry) - Posts: 29 - 07/01/2013 12:47:37    1314597

Link

IT WAS NO FRIENDLY LAD V tyrone . IF YOU HEARD THEM IN LAST 5 MINS OF THE GAME , YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS AN ULSTER FINAL.

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 07/01/2013 19:01:45    1314912

Link

SPUD AS U SAY IT WAS NO FRIENDLY, A GAME OF TOSS THE COIN V TYRONE WOULD BE THE SAME. I AGREE WITH M LYNCH AT NO 6. P. J WAS NO WHERE IN THE 1ST HALF I THOUGHT . BELL SHOULD BE FINE , S LEO COVERED EVERY INCH OF THAT PITCH WITHOUT A MENTION IN THE IRISH NEWS TODAY. I WILL BE HAPPY TO STAY IN DIV 2 THIS SEASON , KEEP BUILDING. HOPE TO SEE MORE NEW COMERS IN THE U U J GAME .

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 07/01/2013 19:09:28    1314920

Link

Apart from individual performances, what was pleasing yesterday was the level of teamwork on display; there was a pattern and a shape to Derry's play in both attack and defence. It is surely no coincidence that there seemed to be more communication between players on the pitch than has been evident in the past - boys were talking to each other and encouraging each other and the more experienced men were cajoling and advising the younger men. Derry's heads never dropped at any stage and they were very unlucky that a slightly fortuitous Tyrone goal (finished well by McAlliskey, admittedly) came so near the end because given another few minutes they would have come again, I believe. That Derry were still going strong at the end also suggests that fitness levels are good for this time of year, given that it was a fast-paced game against a team who rely heavily on pace and fitness to run opponents ragged (as they did twice to Derry last year).

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 07/01/2013 22:00:47    1315060

Link

Is Charlie Kielt still playing with Derry or has he emigrated.

Hardasnails (Monaghan) - Posts: 288 - 14/01/2013 11:59:06    1317992

Link

Hardasnails,
Charlie KIelt played the whole match against Tyrone last week. He wasn't playing against U.U.J. on Saturday, there were two young wing-backs making their debut, in keeeping with McIver's stated intention of giving all his McKenna Cup panel a decent amount of game time.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 14/01/2013 21:27:07    1318416

Link

DOIREGAEL2 what did you make of the 2 games so far . im well pleased , maybe 3 4 or 5 years down the line we will challenge again for honours.. fair play to mc ivor..

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 15/01/2013 20:12:30    1318850

Link

Aye, Bonzo, I'd be pleased so far. McIver seems to be having a positive impact. Derry look to have a good level of fitness for the time of year and are playing with a plan and with intelligence - you could hear McIver calling regularly to his players on Saturday, 'organise', 'tackles' and 'workrate'. As well as that, ten or more very promising young players have shown well (although most of them are very much ones for the future, the experience they get will stand to Derry in the long term0. All in all, things look promising so far but there's a long road to travel yet.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 15/01/2013 21:58:46    1318905

Link