Derry Forum

The Fall Out

(Oldest Posts First)

Only back from holidays and I see we are airing our dirty linen in public. First we have Bradley then McCloy and finally Brennan. On this occassion I do stand behind what JB said about commiting the cardinal sin of going to the media about team issues. Is there not a review process in place were players can raise issues of discontent etc at the end of the season. Matters raised should be confidential between the team and county board and there should be action points taken to resolve these issues and to make sure they don't happen again.

We are slowly becoming the laughing stock of the GAA.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 16/07/2012 12:47:42    1218933

Link

we already are , and now the truth is coming out ..

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 16/07/2012 20:44:35    1219798

Link

I read our PRO said there will be a review next week, the main focus of this review should be the ongoing problems throughout the year going right back to the mckenna cup, with a clear lack of fitness, performance and basic skills (terrible hand passing and tackling skills). Also they need to look into the ongoing injury problems and clubs rushing back injured players for not important league games really is a point that really needs to be addressed. Also clubs not realising players for county training should be high in the agenda!

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 17/07/2012 13:02:52    1220226

Link

was glad to see Bradley got the support of the fans anyway Re: todays `off the fence` - no point pretending everything is ok - Paddy did right to speak out and go Public

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 19/07/2012 18:13:57    1222889

Link

Nonsense. That was an exercise in ramming home a journalists opinion, nothing else. There was no balance and no attempt at any. There is normally a wee bit of bold at the end of each letter trying to strike a balance. There were none in this case. The headline said there was a war of words between bradley and the county board. Utter shite. The county board have not said a word that I have seen. McCloy is not county board and should have kept his mouth shut as it's nothing to do with him. The Irish News want to portray things their own way for their own reasons - to sell papers first and foremost and are prepared to spin suggestion in so doing. It's trash journalism which belongs in the realm of the british tabloids. It's making a living at the expense of the ordinary Derry gael. They're a hateful shower.

The whole thing is a sorry mess and everyone involved should take a long look at themselves and question their own motives.

rpmurphy (Derry) - Posts: 17 - 20/07/2012 09:22:18    1223164

Link

Interesting to hear peoples feelings of who they think is right and wrong here on these forums and who should stay, go and replace who. My opinion for what it is worth is that while there maybe merit in what certain people are saying in the press but it definitely is the wrong place to be doing it. John Brennan is right to ridicule people for going to the press, but where did he do this.. in the Irish Examiner... kinda smacks of hypocrisy.

Seamus McCloy may think he's defending the honour of the Derry County Board but has been gone nearly 3 years and should have stayed out of it. All he has done is made it look like the current Chairman is getting him to fight his battles. This hopefully is not the case and for all we know John Keenan maybe doing things the proper way and airing his views in private to the people who matter and are involved. If this is the case then fair play to him for not going public at all on this matter.

I think there are many things wrong with Derry GAA at the minute which will take many years to put right and most points people put across are valid. Coaching structures in some clubs and schools are badly flawed, rivalry at clubs is a factor whether people like it or not, the North/South divide has not and maybe never will disappear, outside managers at club level are the curse of football as they are under pressure for results for fear of losing their "expenses" to pay the loan for their flash second cars and will risk 75% fit players to get the result over the parish rival, we don't have the rich resources of talent that other counties have and generally and i am to blame here as well as the next man, expectations are set far too high.

People are talking here of who is the next manager. John Brennan has not gone yet. If he does i'm not sure of the answer. I feel he lost the players the night of the Galway NFL match when some of them were mocking his actions on the sideline from the dugout. Attitude of players was further compounded for me 10 minutes into the second half of the Donegal Championship match when members of our bench were caught on film all laughing and sharing a joke. I didn't think there was much to laugh about that day.

Where do go from here? Everyone will have a different opinion. Even though our last Ulster Championship win was under an outside manager i strongly believe we recruit from within ( if JB goes ). Like players then build a structure for coaches through underage to Minor, to Under 21 to Senior management. If i'm pushed for a name i'd love to see Anthony Tohill get a shot at it if he was interested. Enda Gormley has proved his worth with underage at Glen and is involved with development squads at Owenbeg. Let him come up through minor, U.21 and be ready to be the man to step in after that.

We all need to make Derry GAA sexy again but need everyone pulling the one direction. I see CCC have the last few league matches of the year set for Saturdays in August. What was wrong with Sundays? Now players that do happen to play soccer/rugby and i'm sure there are a few will be forced to choose. Not ideal. Some of you will argue that if they want to play soccer then let them and question their commitment but why create this dilemma.

Too many people in Derry have their own agendas and until everyone pulls together ( clubs, schools, players, CB, CCC, supporters ) every year will seem a struggle on the County front. Waffle over!!!

kingpuck71 (Derry) - Posts: 673 - 20/07/2012 11:53:01    1223366

Link

I agree with most of what kingpuck 71 says he and all other posts are valid regarding the fallout,i definitely think its time for a new management set up tohill would be my choice also he would get the players respect and would do a proffesional job like what he done with ireland,to much nonsense between ex chairmen manager players airing views in public it shows things between all factions are split badly we need a united front and the sooner the better.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 20/07/2012 15:39:36    1223644

Link

well as far as i can see, a younger fresher derry team would be the way forward. the younger players may possess the hunger and desire to bring the county onwards and upwards. obviously this isnt going to happen over night but it needs to happen soon. in 2007 the derry minors were unlucky not to grab an all ireland title, how many of that team have progressed onto the senior team? could anyone name 10 players under the age of 25 that should be on that derry panel?

GAA_HTB (Derry) - Posts: 3 - 22/07/2012 18:53:56    1225036

Link

well as far as i can see, a younger fresher derry team would be the way forward. the younger players may possess the hunger and desire to bring the county onwards and upwards. obviously this isnt going to happen over night but it needs to happen soon. in 2007 the derry minors were unlucky not to grab an all ireland title, how many of that team have progressed onto the senior team? could anyone name 10 players under the age of 25 that should be on that derry panel?

a few young players that should be playing
brian doyle
carlos mcwilliams
aidey McLaughlin (in oz)
stephen cleary
aaron devlin
declan mullan
niall Holly
james kielt
blaine gormley
lee moore
paddy kelly (chose to play hurling instead)
ryan bell

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 22/07/2012 21:26:01    1225271

Link

My synopsis. At the m inute we don't have the players but we could be improved, but IMO Tohill is a massive gamble, no senior club football management, no senior intercounty management experience, and please don't say Ireland, its not even gaelic football. Gromley has potential, and should get time with the minors or u21's but better still, take a senior club team and see whats he made of, Paul Mc Ivor is an option with his senior club experience along with the experience he has gained the year with Derry minors. A few have mentioned Barton, who has been around without any success. He has a good record at developing players. Downey has a few years experience with Lavey also behind him. The best of the young managers is still Cassidy, did well Bellaghy and Clonoe, before Derry, and has Clonoe going well again. County final last year again. Still very young with serious experience now, but will have to wait a while before sailing in that boat. If I had my pick, I would have Barton as manager along with Cassidy in the management team. But unfortunately it won't happen any time soon due to circumstances.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 174 - 23/07/2012 16:28:58    1226359

Link

i heard enda gormley spoke well at the club night held by the derry post on friday in the elk was anyone at it? I know a lot has been said but i maintain a lot of the mistakes this year have to fall on the managers shoulders, for example he played the same two corner backs in all of our league games in mccallion and mcalynn yet both never seen championship game time, and then suddenly decided to play barry at full back come championship never once trying him there during the league if he thought mccallion and mcalynn were not good enough why on earth did he persist on them playing every league game? when you score 19 points against louth at home and still don't win something is wrong. a complete over haul is needed if brennan is looking another term which seems to be the case he has a lot of questions to answer

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 23/07/2012 18:44:19    1226581

Link

interesting piece - http://derrygaa.ie/2012/07/a-captains-calling-oakleafers-blog-looks-at-the-legacy-of-93

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 31/07/2012 11:12:16    1234225

Link