Derry Forum

Player of the year

(Oldest Posts First)

Don't laugh but will the Derry player of the year awards be cancelled this year? As i can't see too many awards being handed out in the Oakleaf restaurant for the footballers! If anyone can hold their head high it is the mountain of a man Chrissy McKaigue, the Slaughtneil dual star should get a job in the Maghera Fire Station as he was running around plugging holes and putting out fires all over the park this year for both football and hurling. With all this talk of rebuilding its plain to see the team of the future needs to to built around Chrissy, I believe he is being wasted playing at full back and during games you could tell he wanted to get involved in linking in with play more further out the field. A bit like McMahon for Tyrone he could play in many positions has a great attitude and unlike many others he wants to play for his County. He was the only shining light for what has been an awful season.

Another mention has to go to Barry McGoldrick, Barry always has a great desire to pull on the Derry Jesery and is the type of player that gets underneath the oppositions skin as he never tires and always gives 100% for Derry. Having to play at cornerback didn't do Barry any favours as he wouldn't be regarded as a man marker and was never blessed with pace, but Barry has an eye for a pass and score is strong on the ball and has a great football brain i feel he should be played at centre half forward where he could link play better a bit in the mould of a Damian Barton or Brian McGuigan.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 11/07/2012 12:00:18    1214482

Link