Derry Forum

Next Derry manager?

(Oldest Posts First)

Do we go for an outside manager to pull the different factions together or is there someone inside the county could do it the county board face a big decision in the coming weeks.I feel with a top manager proven at county level with a quality backroom team that can gain the respect of the players is crucial so we can get back on the road to redemption 2013,get the hunger and passion back in the players again the county board has to . be heavy handed with clubs who arent co operating with the new manager or set up.Like to hear derry gaels views who would be in their shortlist?

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 04/07/2012 12:30:34    1209248

Link

Baker likely wants the Derry job, but would not be a popular choice due to his close links to the current team! Gary Coleman and Enda Gormley are future Derry mangers but its too soon for those fellas. Brian McIvor is also a candidate and as i said before i would move mountains to bring in Anthony Tohill. If Brennan stays he needs new ideas and voices in the changing room to freshen things up would really need to revamp his back room team maybe add Henry Downey to it.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 04/07/2012 13:33:54    1209325

Link

Folks, I thonk this is a very unfair thread to start, lets give the current manager a bit of respect and let him reflect on the past 2 years. John has not made a decision on his future theen I will talk about it.

There is no doubt that Brennan has been dealt a bad hand of cards this year with injuries and not being able to field a settled side. The issues which was printed in the Irishnews yesterday if totally true are totally unacceptable for a manager to put up with.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 290 - 04/07/2012 14:46:33    1209428

Link

i too think we shouldnt be talking about a new manager, especially since he has an ulster final on sunday. big rogan has done a good job wi the derry team, but if i could hand pick the next manager it would probably be donal o'grady

pig.ignorant (Derry) - Posts: 655 - 04/07/2012 14:55:34    1209444

Link

Micko Dwyer would be an excellent choice. It would certainly boost morale within the squad. He always had a level of success wherever he went.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2748 - 04/07/2012 15:03:18    1209454

Link

This is a real tough one because John appears to genuinely have the majority of the players on his side to a certain extent, I haven't heard of rumours suggesting otherwise which have came out of Derry teams in the past. He has also over the last 2 years had the worse luck imaginable with injuries and we have never in his time in charge been able to put our best 15 out on the pitch at any given time. Also if it is true what was reported yesterday he has had to deal with issues with the county board which would not have helped, but unfortunately I think any Derry manager will have that to deal with.

On the other hand, I was very disappointed in his own performance in this years championship, there appeared no form of game plan and he blamed everyone but himself, publicly anyway. Then if I look back to last year we beat a fermanagh in crisis and an armagh team who didnt have a clue IMO. He came up with some great quotes but apparently he rubbed Jim McGuiness and Donegal up the wrong way before the Ulster Final about modern managers, who all he had beaten and the one about the bbq and burgers in ballinascreen. Unfortunately Donegal had the last laugh.

So I don't know, he has no contract so to speak an will ultimately make his own decison one way or the other, hopefully sooner rather than later.

unclederry (Derry) - Posts: 67 - 04/07/2012 15:05:51    1209456

Link

every one knows derry always have a rolling one year contract with any manager so it will be up the our board about what decision to make, john had to be talked into taking the team this year and has stated before that he doesn't know if he's the man to rebuild the team. He's a proud man with a good relationship with the players, the chairman and sponsors so i wouldn't be surprised to see him give it one more year. But i have to say this whole year has been a disaster and john even said after the longford game that he might have let standards slip, training one night a week after the league and not being able to get a 30 man squad together comes back to the manager and the tactics of keep ball by fist passing the ball in a big semi circle around the half forward line was utter boring and dour to watch and never seemed like going anywhere would love to see our average score throughout league and championship.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 04/07/2012 17:12:24    1209615

Link

sean leo mc goldrick senior eoghan rua, or tony scullion ,

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 05/07/2012 19:30:36    1210523

Link

On reflection , God himself could not manage Doire just now.

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 06/07/2012 18:23:53    1211154

Link

bonzo111
County: Derry

On reflection , God himself could not manage Doire just now.

If "God" left Fermanagh and took over Derry we might see more Ballinderry and Lissan Tyrone fans supporting Derry

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 07/07/2012 12:09:06    1211361

Link

would they travel to celtic park ?

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 15/07/2012 12:47:39    1217651

Link