Derry Forum

Zero Tolerance

(Oldest Posts First)

It's great to see our county chairman come out and state that the county board will have a zero tolerance policy to unsavoury incidents in Derry football. I was not at the match where the alledged incident took place and I cannot comment. I can only comment on what is written in the press be it right or wrong. Derry football has been blighted year-in and year out with unsavoury incidents whether it be against a fellow player or the referee. What stimulates such actions? is it born out of frustration, jealousy, rivalary, god only knows but why does people see the need to do such things.

I have another point, why was a Dungiven referee appointed to take charge of a Glenullin championship match? We all know that thre is a bitter sweet rivalary there. I am not saying the referee was anti Glenullin but one could make the assumption. Can anyone enlighten me on his performance at the match. Think it is time to bring in outside referee's for championship games. If any player has assaulted a player or official they deserve their punishment.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 31/08/2010 21:58:45    762059

Link

Derry football has been blighted because people get away with it. If discipline on and off the field was dealt with the way it should then people would get the message. Over the years there has been too much sweeping things under the carpet.

RoverTin (Derry) - Posts: 210 - 02/09/2010 11:32:07    763186

Link

Oakgael and rovers Tin

I agree and i suspect that these rivalries and the nasty incidents that go with them are detrimental to the performance of the Derry County team.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 02/09/2010 21:12:52    763977

Link

Derryman does not matter where ref is from to be fair .

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15063 - 06/09/2010 20:18:08    766955

Link

To be fair you cannot put the blame solely on the referee but on the otherhand we must all realise that referee's within the county do show a certain amount of bias against certain teams. I have been to enough league and championship matches within the county and it doesn't go unoticed. The other side of the coin also is that clubs are throwing matches (not fielding) therefore giving clubs league points that they otherwise not have picked up if they had of played the game.

Fair play in Derry football is non-existent

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 07/09/2010 08:57:28    767153

Link

The day a ref shows bias he should give up but i believe refs do not do this and go out and be fair.

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15063 - 07/09/2010 16:50:49    767888

Link

Dellboypolecat
County: Tyrone

767888 The day a ref shows bias he should give up but i believe refs do not do this and go out and be fair.

Get out of your little bubble and into the real world Del. Of course there are referees out there who will go out to help a team.
Granted, not all referees will do this but everey county has a minority and it is this minority which cause all the problems.

Brock_Lesnar (Tyrone) - Posts: 95 - 08/09/2010 11:32:22    768523

Link

Brock_Lesnar believe me am in the real world unlike poeple ah ref was bias talk the whole time.

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15063 - 08/09/2010 14:53:50    768838

Link

I guess that zero tolerance policy the chairman talked about is has move to a -24 week policy. I have no axe to grind with Eoghan Bradley or Glenullin. No matter who the player, or which club if the CCC are going to hand out bans they should stick by them. What a joke the systems is.

RoverTin (Derry) - Posts: 210 - 23/09/2010 15:38:34    782272

Link

Disgrace this is that assualtiing a ref only gets 24 weeks.

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15063 - 23/09/2010 16:11:25    782316

Link

People, in all sporting disciplines sportsmen and woman who have carried out a wrong are entitled to a right of appeal. The facts of the incident have to heard from both sides with any supporting evidence. It is not fair to make a statement blaming the CCC, to be fair our county Chairman stuck too his guns and issued the 48 week ban, it was challenged succesfully by the player and he got it halved, end of the matter.

We have seen bans challenged by county boards over the last number of years resulting in bans being overturned etc.

The matter is closed folks, move on and look to the future. What happened in the past is in he past and cannot be changed and we don't need to be trailing Derry football through the muck anymore than it has been in previous occassions.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 23/09/2010 21:48:58    782768

Link

Oakgael it is those who make these decisions who drag Derry GAA through the muck, not those that discuss it. Did you not post the thread on this to begin with ? What you have said highlights that what our county Chairman decides and the stance he takes carries no weight. The farce of bans and appeals may happen elsewhere but that doesn't make it right. If I were a ref I would tell them where to stick it.

RoverTin (Derry) - Posts: 210 - 24/09/2010 10:35:22    782881

Link

Mixed feelings about this. Best player by a mile for Derry last year so don't want to lose him next year but it totally sends out the wrong message.
It happened after the match was over so he knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't do it while Glenullin still had a chance to win it and wouldn't have done it if Glenullin had won. 24 week ban means he misses no meaningful matches. Leaves it open now for anyone to do the same near the end of the season. Refs and other players beware

cmondoire (Derry) - Posts: 2 - 24/09/2010 11:01:57    782908

Link

Rovertin - The chairman can only act within the guidance set out in the constitution. The term 'hitting referee' can be taken in a braod sense. Does pushing the referee agressively consitute as hitting? I was not at the match but people I know who have no ties to either team have told me that it was more of an aggressive shoulder than a punch and the referee over re-acted. Certainly he physically assualted the referee but as I previously stated it takes two too tango.

On another note, why are referee's not challenged on these issue's? Some of the refereeing I have seen in Derry football has amazed me. Fitness levels, performance etc. Personally I have seen referee's losing control of matches and being intimidated by spectators an in turn starting to favour the home team. I think we have to strike a balance.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 24/09/2010 14:27:51    783139

Link

Oakgael... you can't touch a ref. you are only asking for trouble if you do. No matter how bad they are. If it was a normal club player would the ban have been reduced. I don't think so.
As for the refs themselves. The standard varies greatly I would agree as do fitness levels. I thought though that refs were assessed and on that basis got the big games. Senior championship semi final you would expect a good experienced and relatively fit ref.I am not suggesting anything untoward on the refs part but any debatable decisions leave it wide open for the conspiracy theorists.
Even the best refs get it wrong.. 3 key decisions in Down v Kildare..
Another point is who wants to be a ref. Tendency seems to be for men that are past playing filling a need or requirement for club. Don't see many in their 20s viewing it as a career option. Mostly men in their 40s and 50s giving up their time to ensure that games at all levels can be played. For this they must be given credit. Maybe they should also be given feedback on their performances by other refs so they can improve or if need be pack it in if they are not up to it. I think this happens to county refs but doesn't seem to happen within counties.

cmondoire (Derry) - Posts: 2 - 27/09/2010 11:18:49    784653

Link

Apparently Enda Muldoon is set to get his suspension lifted now as well on a technicality.
Ref put the wrong number in the book so he gets off, despite the fact the majority of people at Greenlough seen the clear strike on Murphy.
They may as well forget about issuing suspensions if they are being disregarded like this.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 28/09/2010 16:08:33    785966

Link

Bosch, why blame the county board? The referee made the error by recording the wrong number and that in turn provided Muldoon with the reprieve. Why can't people not understand that there are procedures and processes to be followed with regard disciplinary procedures by both parties. If there is human error or a loophole the defendant is entitled to use it as he sees fit.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 29/09/2010 12:19:46    786562

Link

This was posted as a new thread but since the subject matter is the same it has been incorporated here.

tyronemanc
Tyrone
30/09/2010
13:20

County Board

This is another disgrace for the Derry Board letting Muldoon off when don't theyjust let the county players do what they want???? DISGRACE

Administrator (None) - Posts: 535 - 30/09/2010 14:26:16    787571

Link

Do we actually know for definite why Muldoon actually got off?
I was going on info prior to the meeting that said he would get off for that reason.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 30/09/2010 14:36:05    787583

Link