Derry Forum

Seán Dolans vandalism

(Oldest Posts First)

Thats bad form whats happening up in Dolans after all the hard work that has went on there the last few years - winning Club of the Year a few years ago and having their best ever year last year - this anti social element are just thugs with nothing to offer the local community but it underscores the difference in attitude to Parish and club and the ethos of the Gaa is lost on most cityfolk. This would never happen in a rural community as the Gaa club is the focal point for the whole local community and why would people destroy facilities that are there for their benefit and the benefit of their brothers and sisters and extended family etc - it just doesnt make sense - there is a lot of work to be done in the city but the first thing that has to be done is change the mindset where people dont view the Gaa as outsiders but as their own cultural identity -

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 337 - 19/06/2010 09:48:44    681457

Link

Well, I live in the city and I attend school in the Creggan community. Unfortunately it is clear that many people here do not have a notion about the GAA and I can guarantee if you ask a group of people my age and younger one rule of the GAA or how to play 2/3 people wont know. Its really sad. They are really missing out. They dont really know the feeling of togetherness that a club has.

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 19/06/2010 21:24:54    681874

Link