Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Charismatic new manager? Proof?

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 28/01/2020 23:15:49    2263369

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "It was €10 into Páirc Uí Chaoimh for a National league game last Saturday night, if they find out we are charging €20 into National League games like last Sunday they might not travel."
Croke Park set the prices.Match in Cork was a division three match game in Mullingar division two that's why there was a difference. Agree we need to get behind Ó Brien and players this will be a learning process and over the next few weeks we will see two top teams coming to Mullingar

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 29/01/2020 08:15:57    2263395

Link

micheal Ryan had charisma..im not so sure about the new manager

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 466 - 29/01/2020 12:26:45    2263469

Link

Replying To preddan:  "micheal Ryan had charisma..im not so sure about the new manager"
I had my tongue firmly in cheek there guys

It's not about the manager though, they come and go. It's about our club mates and neighbours

They deserve a bit of support whatever the result

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 29/01/2020 13:04:49    2263483

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "I had my tongue firmly in cheek there guys

It's not about the manager though, they come and go. It's about our club mates and neighbours

They deserve a bit of support whatever the result"
I thought we did Very well today another learning curve.We have the material to compete at the highest level if the younger players buy into the whole process of getting themselves into the proper shape.Two weeks to prepare for Cork.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 02/02/2020 16:15:59    2264481

Link

It was an improvement on the Galway alright but we left so many scores behind us. 2 goals just before half time were a killer. Thought Clavin struggled and surprised he lasted so long. That's 2 weeks in a row they have taken off a debutant within first 18 minutes - has to be tough mentally on those young lads. Waterford supporters outnumbered us I'd say 4:1. Have to say €20 entry was probably a deterrent for some. Twas €20 last week in Galway but I thought that was because it was a double header.

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 58 - 02/02/2020 17:30:43    2264522

Link

Replying To puglerdaly:  "It was an improvement on the Galway alright but we left so many scores behind us. 2 goals just before half time were a killer. Thought Clavin struggled and surprised he lasted so long. That's 2 weeks in a row they have taken off a debutant within first 18 minutes - has to be tough mentally on those young lads. Waterford supporters outnumbered us I'd say 4:1. Have to say €20 entry was probably a deterrent for some. Twas €20 last week in Galway but I thought that was because it was a double header."
I think all NHL and NFL division 1 matches are 20 euro. I think these players can learn from the experience of division 1 hurling.I don't like mentioning players but Bermingham and O Reilly were played out of position.The injuries are killing us short term but it should stand to us l in the long run

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 02/02/2020 18:17:19    2264548

Link

I said last week that any single digit defeat would be progress or acceptable so today was satisfactory in some ways. However outside Jogger, Aonghus and Eoin Price it was difficult to see many positives. Waterford had a penalty saved brilliantly in fairness, another goal disallowed for what seemed an incorrect call and clearly took their foot off the pedal at half time. The lack of strength in depth is worrying. Score difference unlikely to matter in the league but if it did I'd be worried we could ship 20 point defeats. Our forwards struggle to win ball and it was only when Waterford completely switched off that we got a couple of scores. Carlow seem to be struggling too which is some reason for optimism considering they're our main rivals in the championship.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 02/02/2020 19:26:05    2264596

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "I said last week that any single digit defeat would be progress or acceptable so today was satisfactory in some ways. However outside Jogger, Aonghus and Eoin Price it was difficult to see many positives. Waterford had a penalty saved brilliantly in fairness, another goal disallowed for what seemed an incorrect call and clearly took their foot off the pedal at half time. The lack of strength in depth is worrying. Score difference unlikely to matter in the league but if it did I'd be worried we could ship 20 point defeats. Our forwards struggle to win ball and it was only when Waterford completely switched off that we got a couple of scores. Carlow seem to be struggling too which is some reason for optimism considering they're our main rivals in the championship."
Agree with all that. Waterford completely took the foot off the pedal second half.

We just have no penetration up front.

Heard O'Brien on Midlands radio say that the score board didn't reflect the game?! Is he serious?

Unless he means that if Waterford kept trying they would have won by even more!

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 02/02/2020 22:49:48    2264696

Link

We are defo performing better than Carlow though it would seem?

They are taking serious trimmings. That's a massive game, like a division 2 league final really...

Only way to improve is to stay up for another year

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 03/02/2020 12:53:38    2264826

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Agree with all that. Waterford completely took the foot off the pedal second half.

We just have no penetration up front.

Heard O'Brien on Midlands radio say that the score board didn't reflect the game?! Is he serious?

Unless he means that if Waterford kept trying they would have won by even more!"
Well in fairness he's not going to come out and say we should have been bet by 25 points?

Said what he had to say.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 03/02/2020 16:02:30    2264898

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Well in fairness he's not going to come out and say we should have been bet by 25 points?

Said what he had to say."
Ya fair enough... I suppose all sports interviews are rubbish aren't they really

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 03/02/2020 18:42:46    2264928

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Ya fair enough... I suppose all sports interviews are rubbish aren't they really"
Agreed. Gone ridiculous at this stage, could scrap them for all the information that come out of them. Lol

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 03/02/2020 19:27:36    2264934

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Agreed. Gone ridiculous at this stage, could scrap them for all the information that come out of them. Lol"
Cliches. Happy with the lads

'Learnings' That's the buzz word now

Lots of 'learnings'

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 03/02/2020 23:06:57    2264979

Link

Was at the game at the weekend and wasn't impressed at all. Only for Niall Mitchell in the forwards we had nothing. Darragh reilly got a very raw deal which I think was completely unfair how are players meant to progress if there only getting 18minutes of game time. The backs again were decent enough especially Craig and clarke. Jogger again got pulled around the pitch. Management need to leave him at 3 and bring someone back to cover.

Personally I think we were far sharper this time last year under the limerick crew as a whole team from 1-15. The striking and touch was again very poor on Sunday and every player miss struck balls at times.

Mchugh in goals made a good save from the penalty but up until that point his performance was poor especially his distribution.

Some players seem to be still getting the nod when there off form which I think is hard on the other players who are going well. Mcgovern was very good once introduced he brought huge energy would like to see him get more game time in maybe a free roaming roll or as I said cover infront of jogger as he is probably the fittest on the team.

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 04/02/2020 09:59:14    2265006

Link

Replying To Westmeathk:  "Was at the game at the weekend and wasn't impressed at all. Only for Niall Mitchell in the forwards we had nothing. Darragh reilly got a very raw deal which I think was completely unfair how are players meant to progress if there only getting 18minutes of game time. The backs again were decent enough especially Craig and clarke. Jogger again got pulled around the pitch. Management need to leave him at 3 and bring someone back to cover.

Personally I think we were far sharper this time last year under the limerick crew as a whole team from 1-15. The striking and touch was again very poor on Sunday and every player miss struck balls at times.

Mchugh in goals made a good save from the penalty but up until that point his performance was poor especially his distribution.

Some players seem to be still getting the nod when there off form which I think is hard on the other players who are going well. Mcgovern was very good once introduced he brought huge energy would like to see him get more game time in maybe a free roaming roll or as I said cover infront of jogger as he is probably the fittest on the team."
The notion we were far sharper this time last year doesn't stand up.We were awful in our first two games struggling to beat London in Mullingar and only beating Kerry because the goalie was held bent on self destruction.We effectively have gone from division three to Division one so a bit of common sense is needed.Our ambition has to learn in every game against the elite beat Carlow or Laois to stay up and this time win Mcdonagh.Nothing easy but it would be massive progress.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 07/02/2020 00:43:33    2265840

Link

Replying To jobber:  "The notion we were far sharper this time last year doesn't stand up.We were awful in our first two games struggling to beat London in Mullingar and only beating Kerry because the goalie was held bent on self destruction.We effectively have gone from division three to Division one so a bit of common sense is needed.Our ambition has to learn in every game against the elite beat Carlow or Laois to stay up and this time win Mcdonagh.Nothing easy but it would be massive progress."
Agree. Very difficult to compare due to the immeasurable step up in quality of opposition.

Also O'Brien was coach last year so the prep probably hasn't been much different?

Hopefully the lads click in time for the relegation final and drive on to the championship from there

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 07/02/2020 09:06:03    2265870

Link

In fairness the lads are doing their best

Very hard to prepare properly with players missing and the obvious lack of training facilities in the county for teams

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1708 - 07/02/2020 22:21:12    2266043

Link

Replying To valley84:  "In fairness the lads are doing their best

Very hard to prepare properly with players missing and the obvious lack of training facilities in the county for teams"
Huge issue

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 07/02/2020 22:34:02    2266045

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Huge issue"
Any team news for Sunday.Its s huge pity that we have so many injuries and others missing Egerton,Kilian Doyle, Gallagher,Clavin,Shaw,O Brien and Gary Greville.Looking on the bright side it's giving more players a chance of playing against the elite teams.Looking forward to seeing Horgan as well what a hurler.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 14/02/2020 07:36:47    2267607

Link