UK Forum

Warwickshire 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Congratulations to John Mitchels on their win, they threw the kitchen sink at it this year and fortunately for themselves just made it over the line. They were hanging on at the end but a win is a win. The London Inter Champs should prove a good test, should just have enough. Wouldn't be too confident if they met the Lancs, Yorks or Scotland champs, they may need to get further reinforcements in. As for next year, Macs will only get stronger so will be there, Mitchels likewise i would imagine, up to the others to up the ante in order to remain competitive

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 02/10/2013 10:37:57    1493319

Link

FenceHopper, you must be another of the blow ins to the county this year. You say the new champions showed great humility than previous winners of the championship, obviously you weren't around last year when the majority of their players and management didn't even have the decency to wait around for the cup to be presented to Macs. Poor show from a so called great club within the county.

At least this years beaten finalists didn't head off to the changing room while the cup was being presented.

Also, we're you at the game ? Or are you just going by the result you heard ? First of all I will say fair play to Mitchels on their county championship win, but if you are being honest with yourself you would have say that the only reason they won was because Macs did not take their scores. As I have said on here before scores win games, so Macs can only blame themselves for this defeat. But I am sure they will bounce back next year like they always seem to do. Very good bunch of home grown talent on their team, and from what I hear there is more coming through the ranks.

On another note , would just like to say congratulations on a job well done to the referee, excellent performance. Shame there isn't a few in the county like him.

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 245 - 03/10/2013 18:50:52    1494809

Link

From one blow in to another, ill have you know i did watch the game and stay around to watch Mitchells lift the cup. But thats beside the point (no pun intended) because it seems you've had a bad week being from Mayo and being a Macs man.

Anyway id like to stress again, Congrats to the county champions and from what i seen on sunday there should be plenty more to follow.

FenceHopper (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 04/10/2013 08:21:33    1495128

Link

I thought the county final was a very poor quality game considering some of the games that both teams have played this year.
I think that Macs threw the title away. Hanlon alone should have had 1-3 in the first ten minutes and this would have been the winning of the match. They kept garvey quiet but to be honest the quality ball was not going in to him without mckenna there. That said he took great scores with what little ball he had. Mitchels didnt manage the extra man either and instead 3 of their lads decided to go free instead of one.
If kavanagh for macs had played for the whole match like he did in the second half i think it would have been Macs title.
That said i agree Mitchels are deserving champions based on the overall year but Macs will be kicking themselves for letting this go.

It should be a good game in all britain between Mitchels and Heston.

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 04/10/2013 11:05:20    1495253

Link

Heston to win by 5 points

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 245 - 04/10/2013 17:58:56    1495778

Link

Macs kicked it away this year, like Mitchels did last year. It happens. If I was a Macs man I'd be worried that Mitchels won without even looking like they turned up. They looked to be far from full strength either. Michels to me looked like they collapsed with the finish line in sight, poor first half but were then well in control of the game with a man up midway through the 2nd half. Need to learn how to kill a game off if they're going to try and dominate for a few years.

Are lads really arguing about who won the speech competition between the 2 years? Was there side-bets on this?

an_carraig (UK) - Posts: 55 - 06/10/2013 09:55:56    1496465

Link

So, a Warwickshire representative in this years All Britain with the tie vs. Hestons of London scheduled for 2:00 this Sunday coming.

I wouldn't know too much about London football, anyone any insight as to whether JM stand a chance this weekend? And, please, no bitter Macs lads on here being biased, genuine insight please?

The_Panacea (UK) - Posts: 67 - 21/10/2013 13:01:47    1503789

Link

You'll struggle with that then, because the majority on here are bitter Macs lads. From a neutral point of view, i believe Mitchells will win the All-Britain.

FenceHopper (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 21/10/2013 13:21:40    1503812

Link

John Mitchels will win the All Britain, John Mitchels of Lancashire

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 21/10/2013 13:53:04    1503835

Link

we wont mention a few who post here pretending to be macs men and arent

as said elsewhere i expect heston v JM lancs in the final although home advantage is worth a few points to any team in this comepetion sunday will be tight enough but i expect heston to come through

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 21/10/2013 14:41:20    1503875

Link

that should say heston v dundedin, but it is definitely the tougher side of the draw

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 21/10/2013 15:01:17    1503888

Link

Any word on the fixtures meeting in warwickshire last night? Have the leagues been restructured?

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 06/11/2013 12:34:27    1509807

Link

From what I'm lead to believe the restructuring centres around 3 leagues
Div 1: Macs, Mitchels, Casements, Barnabas, EGB
Div 2: Brendans, Marys, Sons of Erin, Naomh Padraig, St Josephs, Four Masters
Div 3: The rest

league placings to decide championship, senior A top 4 from Div 1, Senior B bottom of div 1 and top 3 from div 2, Intermediate the rest.

I may not be totally correct, all to be voted on at convention but it appears that most clubs are in favour

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 06/11/2013 14:21:25    1509915

Link

As I understand it. There are 3 leagues of 5, plus the reserve league. All teams play twice in the league. Divisions one and two, then compete in the senior championship. But remain in their 'leagues' initially - playing round robin games . The top 2 in div 1 the progress to the semi final. 3 rd and 4th play a qf against 1st and 2nd in division 2. 5th in div 1 and the remaining 3 from duv 2 then compete in a 'b' championship.
St Joseph's would be in div 3 with Corby, finbarrs, connollys and rugby.

gael2000 (Mayo) - Posts: 81 - 06/11/2013 16:55:30    1510005

Link

Did you enjoy the meeting then Lethal or was listening to clubs outside of 'senior' beneath you? Clearly with a statement such as 'the rest' shows you don't care about anyone bar your beloved Mitchels. On a different note seems if these posts are true then it looks like county board and others to be congradulated on trying to develop meaningful games.

macsfor0 (UK) - Posts: 33 - 06/11/2013 17:15:40    1510014

Link

Its gone very quiet on here the last few weeks , has anyone any scandal or craic to discuss in the county ?
Whats happening at each club next year , any changes on the way , any changes at the top table in the county ?
Any word on the county manager for 2014 ? are the clubs going to support him , it looks like it was just Macs last year and that was cos Eddie took the job on .

2012 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 20/11/2013 15:01:57    1515746

Link

2012, it was a good job that Eddie took the job on. Because the county board would have been totally embarrassed as they would not have been able to field a team in the provincial competion .
I think for one game he had just the fifteen players, fourteen of them from Macs and one being from Casements. Absolute disgrace for the county with the amount of players that are registered within the county. And there is also plenty more lads playing club football in the county that aren't even registered, buts that's another story.
The county board are quite willing to bend over backwards to accommodate the hurlers, but nothing is done to even try and get lads interested in playing for the county.
Eddie was promised this and that,and got nothing. Even had to go out and buy a couple of footballs himself for the team to train with.Not even a team sheet book or first aid kit supplied.
I would say fair play to Eddie and the lads that represented the county, but unless there are changes made by the county board next year it's hard to see where they will get a team from.

limerickleader (UK) - Posts: 103 - 24/11/2013 10:36:04    1516998

Link

Why is the Mitchels/ Macs score TBC on the website?

Anyone at the game, what was the score?

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 25/11/2013 11:24:02    1517451

Link

Mitchells won by a point.

your.right (Longford) - Posts: 72 - 25/11/2013 11:51:56    1517474

Link

Shame to see the homegrown championship final put on out of the way on the bottom pitch on sunday. A great final with both Casements and Go Bragh putting out big squads. Really enjoyable game to watch despite the conditions with both clubs giving it 100%.I would say both teams were probably as strong as their championship sides and it was one of the best games i have watched this year. It just shows the strength of the underage set up in both clubs to be able to field such strong teams in this competition. Its a shame it was left until the end of the year though as this could have been a very good competition if it had been ran earlier and i am sure Macs would heve been in the running. Game was reffed well by a lad from Bournmouth who kept control of a fiesty game. Well done to both clubs and lets hope the county board can fit it in a bit earlier next year.

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 26/11/2013 09:56:37    1517877

Link