UK Forum

Warwickshire 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Homegrown Championship is an excellent idea, gives local lads an opportunity to represent their clubs when these opportunities may be limited elsewhere. Mitchels and Macs should be able to field no problem whatsoever. Between Macs, Erin Go Bragh and Casements for the overall title depending on how serious teams take it

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 20/08/2013 14:18:37    1464423

Link

What is peoples view on Irish born players playing in the Warwickshire league?

I get the feeling there is quite a bit of negative feeling from the English lads?

Does the atmosphere within the clubs reflect this?

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 20/08/2013 14:46:31    1464445

Link

What is peoples view on Irish born players playing in the Warwickshire league?

I get the feeling there is quite a bit of negative feeling from the English lads?

As a gaa person it does not matter where you come from, if you look West Meath county team lined with four Nigerian born players. no problems.
John Mitchells won an intermediate championship not so long ago with eleven English born players in the start up line. the majority are still playing.
There has not to my knowledge ever been a case where a player was picked for where he came from. There is no negatives, but increased competition
for places, and while some players will fit in at junior or intermediate and others senior.
Weaker players will all benifit in the long run from training, and playing with better players, where skills are passed on.
There are English born players that are certainly on a par with players from any other part of the world.
The arrival of large numbers of players from Ireland over the last couple of years has risen the bar as far as skill levels are concerned, this
has happened in the past and we are still here.
My own club played in The Dubai tournament this year and it was an eye opener to see teams from different countries playing.
As far as gaelic games are concerned, we are one family who live and breath football and hurling no matter where you come from.

millbrook (UK) - Posts: 103 - 20/08/2013 16:44:05    1464503

Link

County borard meeting heard Mitchells cannot field in the Homegrown and Barnabus have had to amalgamate with St Josephs?

londonderrylad (UK) - Posts: 22 - 20/08/2013 18:48:28    1464552

Link

Tell you what, Mitchels not fielding surely has more to do with not wanting to field more than not being able to. There has to be more than 15 English born lads within that squad.

Unless they've all decided they're no longer interested for the year having played second fiddle to a bunch of new faces taking their jersey after landing in Birmingham!!!

The_Panacea (UK) - Posts: 67 - 20/08/2013 20:04:04    1464612

Link

While it would be nice if every senior side could field in the homegrown competition it also needs to be factored in that senior teams play an awful lot of games over here. Maybe Mitchels would rather spend their time concentrating on trying to win the Senior, as is their want.

Anyone know if Mary's won last night? hope they got a result rather than having to go down due to Sons not fielding at home. Although they have shipped some big tallies this year and may prefer to be intermediate next year.

johnnyroastbeef (UK) - Posts: 215 - 21/08/2013 10:36:22    1464885

Link

Is anyone actually shocked that Mitchels cant field a side of 15 english born lads!
You can count the english lads that will start come chamionship time on one hand for mitchels.

Time to follow the lead of the most successful side in warwickshire over recent years.
We will have ten english born players starting come the semi final.

Granted Mitchels have won a league trophy but:
(a) they have not won the championship
(b) when lads move on, as they will, they will be left in a bad way.

countyw (UK) - Posts: 30 - 21/08/2013 11:10:23    1464924

Link

anybody like to name the best home grown players in warwickshire ? or maybe a homegrown starting 15 ?

2012 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 21/08/2013 15:16:07    1465159

Link

Corner Forward Full Forward Corned Forward
Mitchels Macs EGB

Wing Forward Centre Forward Wing Forward
Macs Mitchels Macs

Midfield Midfield
Macs RC

Wing Back Half Back Wing Back
Mitchels Macs Macs

Corner Back Full Back Corner Back
Macs Macs EGB

Goal Keeper
Macs

countyw (UK) - Posts: 30 - 21/08/2013 16:52:30    1465249

Link

How would an English born warwickshire 15 fair out against an irish born warwickshire 15?

My guess is it would be bleak, very bleak for the English.

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 21/08/2013 17:41:02    1465299

Link

1) M.Felgate Macs 2) L.Gilbride Macs 3) B.Sharkey JM 4)N.Gilbride Macs 5) T.Massey RC 6) P.Healy JM 7)R.Bennett Macs 8) A.Willis Macs 9) M.Hayden Macs 10) M.Harrington EGB 11)E.Hanlon Macs 12) C.Melody Macs 13) A.Moriarty Macs 14) C.Dowling Macs 15) L.Oshea JM Subs 16) C.Brough JM 17)Joseph Dowling Macs 18) A.Higgins JM 19) T.Smith Macs 20) S.Smith JM

that's off the top of my head. sure I've missed plenty? Not a bad team tho.

TonyMontana (Kerry) - Posts: 75 - 21/08/2013 21:40:29    1465443

Link

1) M.Felgate Macs 2) L.Gilbride Macs 3) B.Sharkey JM 4)N.Gilbride Macs 5) T.Massey RC 6) P.Healy JM 7)R.Bennett Macs 8) A.Willis Macs 9) M.Hayden Macs 10) M.Harrington EGB 11)E.Hanlon Macs 12) C.Melody Macs 13) A.Moriarty Macs 14) C.Dowling Macs 15) L.Oshea JM Subs 16) C.Brough JM 17)Joseph Dowling Macs 18) A.Higgins JM 19) T.Smith Macs 20) S.Smith JM

that's off the top of my head. sure I've missed plenty? Not a bad team tho

Tony Montana,

Good team, Sean Friel from St. Barnabas would be a certain starter and probably centre half back and i'd say Brendans/ RC would have a few more although i don't know their names.

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 22/08/2013 10:02:56    1465532

Link

Quite a few lads mising from that who might get a place on the team:

Four Masters: JJ & Dec Harkin + Marc Ryan
Casements: M Bergin, Harte, Keogh, Corr, Boyle & Quirke
Erin Go Bragh - Kieran Boxwell, Jack Boxwell, James Harrigan
Barnabus - Mulhern & O'Hara
Finbarrs - Martin Crowley

Few good lads at leicester as well. Just shows there could be a very strong homegrown team.
I agree with Battles that the best players will always get picked in any club no matter where they are born. We won 2 championships with 12 homegrown lads and there was plenty of irish lads on the bench. I also agree that it speaks volumes that the likes of Barnabus and Mitchels arent fielding in this competition. Teams like EGB and Masters should do well as there will be little change to their teams from the rest of the season. last year we played 14 homegrown lads in chsip semi although we have got a lot of new lads in this year we would still have 8 or 9 starters still.

What are the rules for the comp - i heard if you have transferred out of the county you cant play - is that correct?

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 22/08/2013 12:00:17    1465646

Link

Who have st Brendan's got in inter championship final?

Bafflemcmurphy (UK) - Posts: 5 - 22/08/2013 12:35:44    1465675

Link

I would have to say a club respecting their players is what is important.

Ok Mitchells have gone off the radar with respect to getting Irish lads into the setup. However, I cannot have anything but respect for them as whilst this may be the case they are saying 'we are all equal and fighting for the championship'. Instead of saying you are not good enough.

This is just another perspective on this discussion.

Sidlineman (UK) - Posts: 64 - 22/08/2013 13:21:34    1465719

Link

@Bafflemcmurphy

Brendans play St Joseph's of Derby in the final, which i presume is on the week after next. Brendans will win comfortably

johnnyroastbeef (UK) - Posts: 215 - 22/08/2013 13:46:41    1465742

Link

@johnnyroastbeef by Brendans do you not mean we?!

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 22/08/2013 14:00:30    1465752

Link

The homegrown competition is an excellent idea in theory but maybe needs a little tweaking for it to be a success. Why not make the tuesday comp played earlier in the year english born only?

Will give the lads at the so called bigger clubs something to keep them interested earlier in the season. Playing it in august is an inconvenience to many clubs, especially those with smaller panels reliant on these lads for their senior teams. Its the business end of the season.

Credit to all the english born lads mentioned on this thread, they all represent their clubs excellently and many have done so for a number of years and will continue to do so. They would all hold their own in any side in the county no matter how many lads transfer over.

It should also be remembered that the GAA in England was originally set up to help Irish exiles abroad, this should still be the case as circumstances back home are not too dissimilar from what they were in those days. Though there is a limit to actually how much help these guys should receive.

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 22/08/2013 14:48:52    1465806

Link

Looking at the comments here about this home grown championship I'd say a few people here seem to almost resent the Irish lads playing for clubs or hopefully it is just the success certain clubs have had over the past few years. Indeed Lethal would seemingly have it only English people playing, what's wrong your club not able to compete anymore at the level it once did? And now looking for excuses instead of real solutions? It is pretty clear that there is a need to find a fine balance between lads coming through underage and ones forced to come here for work. I would hate to hate the situation develop here that exists in London and other counties where if they don't have a core 10+ Irish lads teams and clubs do not field or function. In truth while Macs have had grief in the past over 'flying lads in' they seem to have balance right. As for Mitchels fair play in winning the league and good luck in the championship, might be better for others to raise their game rather than moan about their players. I thought the idea of the home grown championship was to help encourage lads to play not give people another reason to moan about Irish lads playing their national game? Would hate to see it create bitter men, wouldn't you Lethal?

You would have to include Mossy Hartnett from Brendans and good few of their other younger lads, big full back from Derby as well would be handy on any team, young full back, midfielder and full forward from Connollys and definitely James Sullivan from St Chads.

macsfor0 (UK) - Posts: 33 - 22/08/2013 16:15:16    1465903

Link

Top post macsforo!
I have enjoyed reading recent posts, it highlights the amount of home grown talent that is in warwickshire.

countyw (UK) - Posts: 30 - 22/08/2013 17:10:57    1465950

Link