UK Forum

Warwickshire 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well the fact there is games on a Bank holiday weekend seem to be the problem not the clubs i would imagine, its always the same on these weekend , you either get a load of walkovers or total mismatches with weakened teams getting weaker by loing half their panels.

I know we have fixture congestion etc but would it not make more sense to play the games scheduled for this weekend to be played midweek so at least the fixtures are fulfilled and competitive?? I guess the county board wont get the pennies on the gate if thats the case but looking at it not many people would have made the trip out to the Pairc Sunday anyway!

Fair play to Leicester and Marys fulfilling the games knowing they were going to get beat. A nice bit of travelling on a Bank Holiday for those lads as well, the Fixtures sec has done a great job in recent years but i would think if teams are going to play they play local teams and cut down on the travelling, 3 hours on the motorway there and back are no good for anyone on a bank holiday!

So whats the plans for this Sundays big county game, have lads trained or is a case of just turning up and hoping its enough to beat Gloustershire??

onlymessing (UK) - Posts: 62 - 28/05/2013 11:18:07    1393319

Link

mayoallstar - you really are like a bad itch that one cannot shift!

Sidlineman (UK) - Posts: 64 - 28/05/2013 13:37:48    1393506

Link

Sidelineman, what's wrong with you now ?? All I said is that you had your questions answered for you. If that is what is bothering you, you are very easily offended. Anyway how will yous boys get on tonight ?? Are you playing yourself or is that knee injury playing you up again ??

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 253 - 28/05/2013 17:00:31    1393765

Link

mayoallstar - It is your constant presumption that I am affilicated to a certain club. I find it sad that you try to discredit me based on this incorrect information.

I am unaware of any games tonight and to be honest the MRC does not fill me with much joys..... I look forward to you on here tomorrow bragging about yous (as you would say) and your lots probable win!

Tuesday 28 May Mick Reilly Cup 1900 PNhE John Mitchels Vs F/Masters/Brendans
Tuesday 28 May Mick Reilly Cup 1900 PNhE Sean McDermotts Vs Erin-go-Bragh

And yes my questions were in fact answered satisfactorily.

Sidlineman (UK) - Posts: 64 - 28/05/2013 18:02:43    1393847

Link

Lovers tiff! give it a rest girls.

TakeTheHit (UK) - Posts: 98 - 28/05/2013 18:41:57    1393883

Link

SIdelineman, most definitely a JM man, so why try & pretend that you are not. You only need to go back to your first posts on this forum. Slating every other team in the county, and how JM were certs for a clean sweep this year. 35 plus at training for every session, everyone else in the county basically wasting their time.

Anyway the name Sidelineman suits you because from what I have seen of you this season, that's where you spend most of your time.

I understand that there is only one game on in PnH tonight, as EGB are unable to field. So the champions in waiting should have an easy enough time of it tonight.

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 253 - 28/05/2013 19:19:10    1393913

Link

Warwickshire team is to be named tonight after training

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 29/05/2013 14:58:26    1394438

Link

Be interesting to see if the best team is in fact picked!

Sidlineman (UK) - Posts: 64 - 29/05/2013 17:00:56    1394586

Link

Last weekend was an absolute joke in terms of the lack of fixtures played. In my opinion I think it is too big a commitment that every Sunday for about 8-10 weeks there is a game every week. I think there should be a break every 2-3 weeks where there is no game.

Marys, Leicester, Erin Go Bragh, Mitchells, have all not fielded a team at one point or another this year so far while Macs and Casements have requested to play with 13 players at some point this season. In my opinion I think the reason for teams not fielding and only fielding 13 players is because players can't commit to games every week. I feel if players were given a break every 2-3 weeks you would see teams fulfil all fixtures and they would likely field with 15. ( I actually think this 13 a side craic should stop)

Additionally this plan of showing up and telling the other team you have 15 and then 5 minutes before the throw in that you have 13 should stop. Teams should have to give at least an hour's notice that they intend to play with 15 or 13.

While the good teams seem to be getting better the weak teams are struggling to keep up and I think there is a need to look at the amount of teams in the Senior League as there are too many teams shipping massive hammerings , whether or not the county board will do anything will remain to be seen as they are probably happy enough to be seen drinking pints and eating steak dinners once a year with the President of the GAA thinking they are big fish.

mofarah (UK) - Posts: 4 - 29/05/2013 21:47:18    1394825

Link

Did you get served a cold burger at PnH too Mo?

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 30/05/2013 09:10:36    1394864

Link

Some valid points raised by Mo there. I don't think Barnabas beating Mary's by the bones of 60 points benefits anyone. The issue we have in the league is that there is a a bit too much of a gap and 14 league games is a lot. Maybe getting all 8 senior teams to play each other once between the middle of March and end of May and then after 7 rounds splitting the league with the top 5 playing each other while the bottom three and top 2 intermediate sides playing off in another mini league. This would lead to a lot more close and meaningful games for the top 10 sides in the county and the 6 other intermediate sides would also play off so they would also have something to play for.

Would also mean that there would be 11 rounds of fixtures meaning that three free weekends would be available, so no need to play on Bank holiday weekends.

johnnyroastbeef (UK) - Posts: 215 - 30/05/2013 09:12:36    1394866

Link

Valid enough argument there mofarah regarding the gap in standard between teams but a bit harsh in my opinion to slate the county board. They've done a good job at sorting out fixtures past few years learning from mistakes as they go along, look at the reserve league much improved this year. At times the clubs themselves have to take stock and accept responsibility if things go wrong, it was proposed by member of board to restructure leagues to account for differing standards but clubs rejected this. 3 of the teams you mentioned have reserve teams so logically speaking if you claim to have 30 plus lads you should be able to field, the truth maybe some would rather give walkover than play without what they perceive as their best players. Can not understand how 2 teams could play a reserve fixture last Saturday yet not field the next day for Senior, it is comical to hear one of them call themselves the biggest club in Warwickshire, catch a grip you're not Macs just in their shadow. The county board may make some mistakes but they are still a lot better than previous ones and indeed if we looked at other county boards around the country run Warwickshire are extremely lucky. As for the 13 a side stuff at times lads will let a manager down at the last minute, maybe you could become a manager in your club and then help to solve that problem.

macsfor0 (UK) - Posts: 33 - 30/05/2013 09:46:52    1394888

Link

Any word on the County team from last night?

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 30/05/2013 14:54:37    1395235

Link

All Macs barring The GK, 1 Mid, CHF and 1 CF.

About right to

Battles (UK) - Posts: 64 - 30/05/2013 15:43:08    1395286

Link

Battles,

Would you be able to name the team or the clubs involved?

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 30/05/2013 16:06:34    1395317

Link

Winker, I wouldn't be taking to much notice of Battles

moonshine (UK) - Posts: 297 - 30/05/2013 16:19:49    1395340

Link

Great game of football last night between Macs & RC in the reserve league, macs coming out on top by 3 points, in what was a tough,hard hitting, game of football. Referee was willing to let the game flow & not blow the whistle every couple of minutes. In all he got most desicions right. Some great players on show & who could well be looking for their places on their senior teams come championship time.

moonshine (UK) - Posts: 297 - 31/05/2013 08:53:27    1395588

Link

Quite impressed with the RC reserve side, putting it up to Macs, and beating a strong reserve EGB team who have already beat Barnabas.
Got to be said, the reserve league is more entertaining than the senior league so far this year, and without all the drama and handbags!

TakeTheHit (UK) - Posts: 98 - 31/05/2013 10:00:51    1395621

Link

Casements away on tour in Cavan this weekend so they wont have anyone available for county panel but i would think that it should be a very strong team with the best lads from Macs Mitchels and Barnabus. Obviously one or two from Go Bragh and Sons who could get on there. Any intermediate players been called up. I agree with moonshine that last nights reserve game was good but thought the ref seemed to have changed his policy on reffing games. Last year he was completley by the book and pulling all misdemeanours and last night he was letting most go. Some of the tackling was bordering on rugby at times. God help us when the black card comes in!! Young lads need to be taught how to tackle!

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 31/05/2013 10:25:20    1395641

Link

How many of the macs and casements reserves from last night will be lost to the senior team come championship??

TonyMontana (Kerry) - Posts: 75 - 31/05/2013 14:37:17    1395954

Link