UK Forum

Lancashire Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lancashire Senior Championship gets fully underway this weekend, how do people see the first round of games going. Any predictions for the upcoming fixtures?

Sunday 16th September

Group 1

John Mitchells v St Brendans

Group 2

St Lawrences v St Peters

I myself think think the championship could be a toss up between any one of Mitchell's, peters, Brendan's and Oisnin's.

hough_ender (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/09/2012 14:42:11    1266222

Link

Thought there was games last week?

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 14/09/2012 16:08:41    1266305

Link

There were Games last week, but as no one had commented on them on here I thought I would just gage peoples opinions on the up coming fixtures. Wins for Oisins and St Brendan's at the weekend have placed them both in strong positions. That would mean a win for Brendan's on Sunday would see them qualify for the semi final stages of the championship.

hough_ender (UK) - Posts: 82 - 14/09/2012 18:18:46    1266387

Link

Mitchels beat St. Brendans yesterday

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 17/09/2012 12:28:08    1267476

Link

Any Predictions for next set of games?
Considering the results so far I'd expect 2 landslide victories? But who knows!

MashedSpuds (UK) - Posts: 26 - 19/09/2012 14:16:46    1269003

Link

So not quite the landslide victories that people may have expected in the final group games... But comfortable nevertheless for both Peters and Mitchels.
That leaves with an interesting semifinal line-up

St Peters v St Brendans
On the face of it Peters might go in as favourates here, but for me there is little to choose between the teams. Brendans have steadliy improved over the last 3 years and now have a team that is capable of winning the championship. Peters will be in their way though and have experience thoughout their side. In a close encounter I am tipping Brendans to come out on top by 4 points.

John Mitchels v Oisin
On paper you would have to fancy Mitchels here, especially on their own back yard. Oisins however have won already in Greenbank this season, but to repeat that feat would be a shock. Mitchels have been improving throughout the year, while Oisins have been unpredictable and less than convincing after a bright start to the season. Im tipping Mitchels to join Brendans in a repeat of last years final. Mitchels by 7 points.

Yer Man (None) - Posts: 286 - 24/09/2012 14:02:04    1271706

Link

Yer man, could have these predictions spot on. Brendan's v Peters games are always worth a watch, the last few I have seen have been of a very good standard. This is the best Brendan's team in a long while, but their squad is that little bit thin on the ground. if they have everyone available and bring their best performance then they could find themselves in another county final. But that's a lot of 'if's' and ''but's. Peters have improved their forward line from last year and are now a far more formidable team in attack. i have gone backwards and forwards on this result over the last few days, but maybe peters experience might just edge them over the line. PETERS BY 2

Mitchell's v Oisins... Oisins put up a stubborn resistance late onto Peters in there last championship outing, but ultimately fell short, they have not quite been at the races this year, but are more than capable of producing a performance on any given day. Unfortunately that day will not be this Sunday at Greenbank. Mitchell's have the core of team for over 5 or 6 years and while many believe that they are not the force they once were they are still Lancashire champions. And home advantage will stand them in good stead. MITCHELL'S BY 6

rathvilly (Carlow) - Posts: 70 - 28/09/2012 10:34:00    1274130

Link

When & Where will the Lancashire Senior final take place. Should be a good encounter between to 2 big guns of recent years.

highball1 (UK) - Posts: 47 - 01/10/2012 15:53:15    1275801

Link

Check lancashiregaa.co.uk for fixture info.

Game is scheduled for 14:00 sunday 14thn October at bedians in didsbury

Should be a good game winner surely on by a point or two!

MashedSpuds (UK) - Posts: 26 - 02/10/2012 09:26:55    1276166

Link

We will get the fixture confirmed ASAP on website, etc. Been hacked and updating access for users.

lancashirePRO (UK) - Posts: 14 - 02/10/2012 09:53:58    1276180

Link

rathvilly
County: Carlow

Yer man, could have these predictions spot on. Brendan's v Peters games are always worth a watch, the last few I have seen have been of a very good standard. This is the best Brendan's team in a long while, but their squad is that little bit thin on the ground. if they have everyone available and bring their best performance then they could find themselves in another county final. But that's a lot of 'if's' and ''but's. Peters have improved their forward line from last year and are now a far more formidable team in attack. i have gone backwards and forwards on this result over the last few days, but maybe peters experience might just edge them over the line. PETERS BY 2

Game was a very tight affair, as the scoreline suggests. Who were the standout players? Surely there would be a very good Lancs team taken from the teams involved?

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 03/10/2012 20:05:42    1277523

Link

Any thoughts on the upcoming Senior Championship Final between St Peters of Manchester and John Mitchells on Liverpool? It looks like it will be a very tight encounter...!!

Superman114 (UK) - Posts: 6 - 10/10/2012 12:02:37    1281024

Link

Have only seen J Mitchells twice this year. Heavy defeat to Peters in penine final and a poor match against their new city rivals Wolf Tones (ridicuolous wrestling and rugby tactics deployed by the newbies). Regardless, Mitchels did not impress in either game. Had Brendans been in their semi final id be heading to old bedians for a Peters v Brendans final on Sunday. Peters have added good quality in key areas again this season and I was extremely impressed with how they handled St.Brendans in their semi. Despite the penalty miss from Brendans late on you always sensed the game was under the control of the 2010 Champions. Creativity in attack, energy and strength in defence, peters definately hold the upper hand. Midfield will be the Scousers only chance of control on the game. Going for St.Peters by 5 points. Also tipping them for a straight forward run through the AB this year, The Newcastle lads are not nearly as strong as previous seasons. Peters will be better equipped to compete in Ireland this year.

Terrace_Gael (UK) - Posts: 27 - 11/10/2012 09:55:06    1281485

Link

Terrace_Gael
County: UK

1281485 Have only seen J Mitchells twice this year.

You should have left your speil at that.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 11/10/2012 13:31:23    1281611

Link

By all accounts, John Mitchells will be much stronger than the team that played in the Pennine League Final. No doubt fitness was lacking and a number of players were missing from both camps. Peters appear to have started the year well but of late have not kicked on to a champouionship standard. It will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday, and I think a lot will depend on the standard of refereeing for the game. Still given Peters strong forward line, I would predict a Peters, by 4, victory...

Superman114 (UK) - Posts: 6 - 11/10/2012 13:37:03    1281619

Link

Terrace_Gael..... not sure on your comment about Peters always looked like they were going to hold on. They had to come from behind, and having spoken to a number of Peters men at the game involved and on the sideline. the consensus is clear that they were lucky to get over the line. Many I spoke to felt that Brendan's through it away. that was certainly the view of many the neutrals.

That said i do feel that it will be Peters who march on this year, ill pick Connollys for All Britain this year.

Peters by 5

rathvilly (Carlow) - Posts: 70 - 11/10/2012 17:40:09    1281802

Link

Rathvilly where did I say they looked they would always 'hold on'? I said I was impressed with how they handled a good brendans team, I am not dismissing brendans by any means, in fact if you read my comment i stated i think had brendans faced mitchels they would definately have reached another final this year. I was at the Brendans game last week and if the 'neutrals' as you claim are honest they would say peters were deserved winners. brendans were out of the game for critical spells.

Redrum, I only needed to see 2 mitchels games (thankfully) to stand by my prediction. on both occasions they had close to the same players which started their c'ship final last year so cant see them improving much for sunday.

Terrace_Gael (UK) - Posts: 27 - 11/10/2012 18:41:30    1281835

Link

both teams missing players its anyones final, as an ex peters man i hope its got black and amber ribbons on it sunday night

doesnt seem right that dual players cant showcase their skills in both hurling and football, especially when the said counties football championship is being delayed

best of luck to both teams on sunday whoever comes through will be a short price to take the all britain

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 12/10/2012 08:32:13    1281977

Link

Can't see much between the teams, expecting a low scoring game. Both semi finals were low scoring

Wasn't at the game but its laughable to suggest that Peters were in control of their semi final when Brendans missed a second half penalty and were a point up going into the final stages. Mitchells team in the Pennine final resembled more of a junior side and was nothing like the team who contested last years senior final. Can't remember Mulligan, Molloy or Carey playing.

Both teams have lots of experience, can't see another final like 2 and 3 years ago with both teams running away with it. Peters probably have the more natural forwards but not sure how much space they will get. I'm expecting blanket defences with Mitchells not allowing Peters the space they gave them two years ago.

I'll plump for Peters by a point or two but it really can go either way. Not expecting many goals so a goal for either side could be the clincher.

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 12/10/2012 11:18:47    1282050

Link

Terrace_Gael I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you were pulling Brendan's up on there performance at all, I was merely making the point that at no point in that game did I think that Peters had it in their control, nor did they have vital possession at crucial periods of the game. no more so than Brendan's anyway? It was a 50/50 game right to the wire and genuinely could have gone either way. the 'Neutrals' I spoke of were from Lawrence s and Ann's as there were representatives from most clubs at the game. I am not sure what yo were trying to suggest there?

rathvilly (Carlow) - Posts: 70 - 12/10/2012 12:46:54    1282114

Link