Tyrone Forum

Are We Really That Bad?

(Oldest Posts First)

I tend to avoid this forum this past while. It seems anytime I login there's another thread about Tyrone and how we are the cause of all the ills in Gaelic football.
I can't remember the last time we won a game and were actually praised or spoken about in any sort of positive manner.
Even looking on other social media it's shocking some of the things that are being said things like the northern sides should be made to play in their own championship, I even saw a guy post about how he prays the tectonic plates or something along those lines collide and seperate the north from the rest of Ireland.
Some people need to catch a grip. It's bloody sport but at this stage it seems like it's about much more than that.
It's getting to the stage where its bloody hard work following my county, it used to be fun but now I find myself having to bite my tounge and getting angry at the things I hear said about us. The fun had gone out of something I've loved all my life.

duke_raul (Tyrone) - Posts: 991 - 05/05/2015 11:47:39    1720306

Link

I posted on this forum more or less from the start and had to quit for the same reasons a couple of years back. They were posting threads daily "Are Tyrone complete b$stards and why are they?" type threads. Any attempt to meet fire with fire gets unposted so that more than anything drained me.
The Derrytresk/ Dromid Pearses game, Cookstown v Finuge followed the Battle of Omagh etc etc.

People are sheep though and most journalists are really lazy so they trot out the same fodder.
The Roscommon crowd at the semi was the most partisan I've ever been amongst and used my limited powers of restraint to the full there. Every time one of our players was lamped it was "get up ye diving cheat"... the mayo fans were similar in the 2013 semi final. Aidan O'Se stuck an arm in Colm Cavanagh's face below me and it was the same "get up ye diving"
Brolly has fueled this without doubt but he taps into a deep seated intolerance in the 26C some of which has been directed at immigrant groups in much the same way as Loyalist do in the North.

Don't despair - they say it's an accident of birth but what a beautiful accident to be born in the most resilient county in ireland.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 05/05/2015 16:44:04    1720528

Link

There is a very anti northern bias on the main forum (however small in numbers) and it's fairly evident on most posts, you see most of them slowly twisting by the same people who I don't know haven't been banned, they are always at it and it's a bit of a shame to be honest. I hope its WUM rather than actual beliefs.

That being said, Tyrone people do tend to rub other counties up the wrong way and on a National Level we are certainly no angels...we can all think of the incidents that were fairly disgraceful in a playing sense and I've seen some of our fans in action and they can be totally embarrassing and downright vile in truth. It's important to remember, Tyrone were nobodies until 2003, I think sometimes we as a whole come off quite arrogant - I tend to think of Chelsea and Tyrone as quite similar, are they responsible for all their are blamed for? No, did they help themselves? No. Are they both changing for 'the good'. I think so.

We're a total football county (trying to change that, somewhat unimpressively), we've won 3 All Irelands and should act accordingly. Football didn't begin in 2003 but I think the lasting effect on what Armagh and Tyrone and now Donegal have done doesn't sit well with some and there is no doubt our County changed (helped to) Gaelic Football forever. Perhaps someone a lot smarter than me will make a link between socio-political circumstances and how that perhaps plays out in our 'win at all costs' mentalities and explain it in better detail but even though the Island is small, there is no doubt Ireland has vastly different attitudes when it comes to winning. I think its very important to stress the point, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be number one - in any area of life but we're a begrudging nation at heart.

Regarding the u21 football final v Tipp, I think Tyrone were quite arrogant towards Tipp both in how they played and probably how we all thought - how dare Tipp dare to play against us in football etc kind of thing and that manifested itself in some of the incidents that played out during the course of the game as the Tipp lads proved they are every bit as talented as 'the superior' football county. Maybe some of the young Tyrone lads thought Tipp had no right to fight for All Ireland Football Honours, clearly not the case and that resulted in some of the incidents all since mentioned.

We can all only change our own views, there is nothing wrong with having beliefs and sticking to them but I think some Tyrone folk really need to look at things on a more neutral footing.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 05/05/2015 19:33:47    1720610

Link

The basic answer is no we are not that bad.

Some bad incidents involving Tyrone like Mc Menamin on Galvin which should be condemned and not repeated. Counter productive in the long run anyway.

But then again all teams have some bad incidents like Kennelly on Murphy or the Meath team of the 90s or Tipp U21s targetting Mc Shane.

I think there are a couple of reasons Tyrone get worse press...

The RTE media ban which is hurting how we are portrayed. I think it is time to end that.
The fact that we are a team from the 6 counties that has won All Irelands and then stayed at the top. Not much we can do about that.
Playing in Ulster means more tough matches that can be analysed to death. Again not much we can do about that apart from call for a more balanced championship. For example if Kerry had to play Donegal and Armagh and Derry they might pick up some notable incidents before the provincial final.

tyroneed (Tyrone) - Posts: 692 - 06/05/2015 13:36:17    1720856

Link

I often find that posters from some of the so-called "Traditional" counties to be the worst offenders in being critical of Ulster football.

There was always going to be some resentment there, as winning 3 All Ireland titles in the one decade naturally meant you overshadowed teams who perceive themselves to be higher up the football chain than Tyrone.
Especially when you consider Tyrone's All Ireland success was on the back of a string of All Ireland's going to Armagh, Derry, Donegal and Down in the previous 10-12 years.

When you consider that Ulster had dropped completely off the All Ireland radar during the 1970's and 1980's, the huge re-emergence in the early 1990's probably shocked a few people. Seeing that Ulster football revival expand even further in the 2000's, probably rubbed some the wrong way.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 06/05/2015 18:08:37    1720985

Link

Tyrone camme good in 2003 (I remember Kerry fellas laughing for 3 years before that saying so its Tyrone's year again; then it was but how was it done)done by using intensity and exploiting the rules to the full and the weakness of GAA refs generally pushing the game to play it at the edge which is where all real winners (like Kerry) play games. Irrespective of the source of the motto 'Who dares wins' it fitted Tyrone in 2003 and in doing so we angered the people who were allowed to do as they liked and felt comfortable and unchallanged in their GAA society. How dare we!!! So we got Pat Spillane (remember him from 1986)and his open access to the nub of Dublin media the state broadcaster RTE. Then we did it again after a few hairy scraps with the other, orange clad, devils. Was southern GAA society ever going to be the same again? NO! Did they like that? NO! And we really annoyed them by 'stealing' another All-Ireland off their fairy tale heros in 2008 (no more dancing at the crossroads lads and lasses!)So we became easy marks and next thing the whole RTE join in. After that one of their 'personalities' insults Mickey and his family; we black RTE. I believe that may have been right but really let the cat out of the bag and costs us 2-3 points every match. Northerers upset Southerners We challenge their green tinted glasses with our recent history so more sldeging of Tyrone by Southern media such that even fellas with a mother from above Coalisland are tempted to join in for their 15 minutes of Andy Warhol fame.
Believe in ourselves, Keep doing it; take what inspiration and drive we can from being the most resiliant County and stay on message and on mission. It is only a game but it would be a lot less without Tyrone given the whole shape of the modern game is down to the tactics we employed and if someone can come up with an all out attacking way to beat it GOOD but don't expect Tyrone to hand to the diddly Aye brigade on a plate.

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 06/05/2015 20:55:23    1721017

Link

Fair enough lads. Good to see a few balanced replies. To be honest I had a few beers last weekend during the fight of the century ( I live in oz I'm not a raging alcoholic ha).
I jumped online after to try and see some opinions from the u21 final win and all I saw was abuse aimed at the Tyrone team, I actually can take the criticism of the style of football or whatever but a lot of what I saw seemed to be more personal or aimed at what part of the country we find ourselves which to be honest was the thing that annoyed me the most. If they want to have a go atleast make it about style of football or whatever but it ends at that.
I'll follow any sport From gaelic, hurling, boxing,UFC, don't mind the afl and even 20-20 cricket has grown on me. Look at the premier league, Chelsea won the title fairly easy in my opinion, they dropped players back, stifled the opposition and took their chances when they came. Yet looking at the pundits on sky sports, Gary Neville and Jamie carragher did they throw the dummy, or say Chelsea have ruined football, did they have digs at the area of London where Chelsea and their fans come from? I think not they praised them for being the best team in England and challenged the rest of the league to step up to the plate.
Say what you want about how Gaelic football should be played but sport always evolves no matter how it used to be played. Contrasting styles make games, Gaelic football will never go back to how it was played in the 70s and 80s sure it's been changing all the time, you'd swear hand passing only just became popular yet then Donegal side of 92 used this tactic massively on their way to winning sam. It's time people stopped running our games into the ground and who knows maybe someone will come up with a way to finish of our negative football. Until then don't be so shocked if teams employ a winning formula.

duke_raul (Tyrone) - Posts: 991 - 07/05/2015 12:04:01    1721140

Link

A lot of the anti-Tyrone stuff comes from being successful and other counties are jealous. I mean, how dare Tyrone win 3 All-Irelands and especially beat Kerry in two of them. It was all a bit of a novelty the likes of Down, Derry and Donegal winning in the 90's but the so-called tradionalists couldn't take too much success. OK Tyrone had some unsavoury incidents like some of the things that McMenamin did but all counties have skeletons in the cupboard. Also Joe Brolly has not helped as every time he writes an article he is critical of Tyrone. His outburst against Sean Cavanagh was ridiculous and caused the black card to be introduced. Fair enough it was a bad tackle but we see worse in every game.

JimTheLegend (Donegal) - Posts: 247 - 08/05/2015 10:02:32    1721459

Link

The anti- Ulster bias is borderline disgusting. I don't even class some of those posters as proper gaels. Thats the perception and it wont ever change. Brolly, Spillane and Co at RTE are as much to blame as anyone. We got no credit for our AI because we are from Ulster.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 08/05/2015 14:00:00    1721541

Link

TheRightStuff
County: Donegal

The anti- Ulster bias is borderline disgusting. I don't even class some of those posters as proper gaels. Thats the perception and it wont ever change. Brolly, Spillane and Co at RTE are as much to blame as anyone. We got no credit for our AI because we are from Ulster.

Exactly Donegal didn't get the credit they deserved. I thought some of the football you played that year was brilliant especially against cork the fast counter attacks of men breaking forward at pace and then letting it in to the likes of Murphy, McFadden and mcbrearty who were devestating. That ball Murphy pulled out of the air then put in the net against Mayo in the final was one of the best goals I can ever remember scored in any game.
Kerry fouled and dragged for 70 minutes in last years final against yourselves. After the game not much was said about it except that Kerry were simply fighting fire with fire however one thing that always stood out for me about Donegal was that they had great tacklers of the ball and rarely fouled the man in possession.
Tyrone are no Angels and yeah the football we are playing these days at senior ain't that pretty but it would be nice to be treated fairly when it comes to analysis of our games,.

duke_raul (Tyrone) - Posts: 991 - 08/05/2015 21:52:23    1721692

Link

I think the posts on RTE comments section after any Ulster team performance particularly Tyrone are disgraceful.I have lived in England for a long time but still get to most Tyrone games. I went to school in Cork city in the late 60,s and as a native from Tyrone there was a lot of anti-Northern sentiment then too. I remember Down beating Kerry and the great Mick O Connell in 1968 and the Kerry lads in tears. We were all Down supporters then. My memories of that game was of great goals, great open play etc etc. I watched a lot of it on U Tube recently and it was actually a rather scrappy game. Having said all that I have great memories from those days in Cork with the Presentation Brothers and great friendships with lads from all over Ireland. We Northerners got on particularly well with the Kerry lads maybe because we all ganged up on the Cork lads. I too find these comments very hard to take but maybe its par for the course. I heard a great gael sum the joys of winning an All Ireland up by telling how he stood at the graveside of a great Tyrone fan in 2001 and he over heard some one say ''and he never saw Tyrone win an All Ireland'' Well this man said They wont be able to say that at My Grave side.

quinnc (Tyrone) - Posts: 3 - 09/05/2015 12:50:43    1721726

Link

I am in agreement about this thread. There is a ridiculous amount of slanted journalism going on, and when Tyrone come to town, it seems that there is a free for all in terms of lazy and biased journalism.

I think that the u21 final last week is a great example of people on forums jumping all over tyrone too. I am not sure this would have been the case if tipp had won it, ie if there would have been anything said or reference made to their tactics of spoiling and fouling on the pitch. It would have been a continuing saga of an underdog team in the gaa and a new darling to follow.

It is easy and lazy to have a bogey man to blame all on. Personally I couldnt care less who thinks what about how we play, nor should youse. I think also that all teams in ireland employ some form of spoiling or negativity. Mayo, Dublin, Kerry are all masters at mixing it up. Always were and always will be. I dont hold it against them one little bit, not even if they walked a bit of a tightrope in the final last year. What is annoying is how there is double standards in the media and among some supporters around the country. This lot should be ignored otherwise they will sour the game for us.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3667 - 10/05/2015 20:00:48    1722200

Link

Lads, all I'll say is try supporting Meath.

Universally hated by every single county and the media for the last 30 years at least.

Crinigan (Meath) - Posts: 578 - 21/05/2015 16:50:08    1726688

Link

Crinigan
County: Meath

1726688 Lads, all I'll say is try supporting Meath.

Universally hated by every single county and the media for the last 30 years at least.

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 22/05/2015 16:53:52    1727189

Link

Well folks if you are not that bad what is the response then to Brendan Devanny's claims after the minor match that were outlined on the HoganStand.
For those of you that didn't see his statement here you go....

----------------------------------------------------
Tyrone co boards response is a joke............................
theres crap that goes on in every county, we just have to put up with it people say.......well for me, not this time.
The stuff that young mick o carroll had to endure sickend me sunday and everyday since.mick grew up like me and like most young lads in our dads shadow,
the strong man you look up to.
Francie o carroll rip represented gweedore and donegal with distinction.the stuff that was thrown at his son needs to be addressed,
not by naming the young lads involved but by the senior people around them getting to the bottom of their misguided actions and by addressing them.

We all did stupid stuff when we were young, so they must get a pass, as long as they learn from this.there however is no pass for the actions of the
Tyrone co board and comments of senior tyrone men that have wrongly spoken on the subject.

In response to their comments and tyrone co boards statement i want to just put this issue to bed,
the tyrone player has denied sayin it(and for the record there was two of them at it)...................
So what happend the captain of donegal minors who ended up in floods of tears and was distraught after a game his team had just won by 6pts made this up??

Declan bonner is a highly respected manager who has done everything in the game and given his life to the gaa.
He came out in the paper in his own column and stated that he considerd walking away from the game after what went on........................
So what? this was done on a hunch, a maybe?? the column was written 3 days after the incident.....

so ...........................let there be no question mark over what went on
the very least the tyrone statement should have read was that they are making enquires, and will take care of it in house with the
group to sort this out and we apologise to the player in question for any hurt that was caused.sort it, move on....................
the lad deserved that as did all the good gaa people in tyrone.

I have been told that there was contact between the two co boards and when donegal co board sent through their version of the
event that the tyrone co board e maild back and said sorry your 20min to late a statement is gone out regarding the issue already.

So here we are, our game was taken to an all time low for me and no one is standing up and doing the right thing,
I pleaded with one of the minor managers in tyrone by txt yday to do the right thing..................

This has no place in sport, has nothing to do with the great competitive sportsmanship of the gaa that we all love,
it has nothing to do with all the great people in tyrone and donegal that play and go to games
this has to do with morals and respect
--------------------------------------------------------------

MaigheoAbu (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 26/05/2015 12:58:42    1728554

Link

Devenney is looking for attention...bit like Brolly!
This alleged comment fiasco has been given too much air time already...the person who was originally accused has now been cleared of any wrong doing and the comment that was supposed to have been made has now changed completely...lot of people hoping this was true to give them something to really go to town on Tyrone for...

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 26/05/2015 15:14:05    1728663

Link

Obviously Brendan "nothing to do" devennay got his 5 yr old child to write a statement on his behalf. I didn't realise Brendan had carried out a full proof investigation on the facts. Whatever happened tyrone will be tarnished with it now anyway without an investigation actually taking place.

redhanddefender (Tyrone) - Posts: 913 - 26/05/2015 16:22:18    1728709

Link

PastThePost
County: Tyrone

Devenney is looking for attention...bit like Brolly!

Yeah but the silence of that other media wxxxx Cassidy is deafening - wonder why that is?

benched (Tyrone) - Posts: 489 - 26/05/2015 17:42:06    1728750

Link

I think the gist of the original post holds some merit. Without going into detail on specifics, whether any individual allegation is true or false.becomes irrelevant due to sheer numbers, and the no smoke without fire tag will stick. Tyrone teams have a disproportionately larger involvement in "incidents" over the last number of years, and naturally journalists will report. To reduce the bad press, the fuel for the media needs to cut at source, rather than blame coverage, or even disengage; which have both failed

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 559 - 29/05/2015 21:25:46    1730152

Link

Things must be worse than we all suspected. They are saying nice things about the Tyrone team of the last decade or so on the main page . WE ARE DOOMED WE HAVE LOST ALL OUR POWER

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 03/06/2015 21:36:12    1732176

Link