Sligo Forum

Connacht FBD League 2011

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I can count, apologies for the slip of the keyboard. I don't think it was that clear who were the subs and who were the starters kickandscream. I could point out to you that you is spelt "you" not "u" if you want to be really pedantic about things. Interesting team then - I like the fact that new blood is getting a shout. A strong panel will be very important this year.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 14/01/2011 12:45:14    846124

Link

watch out for taaffe and brian curran hope he's as good as he was n 07

sligo2011 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 14/01/2011 12:57:50    846135

Link

Dont worry about it sligo2011, its informed nail acting like a child, it was obvious you copied and pasted from sligogaa.i and the nrs didnt copy, no harm its clear anyhow with farrell no16 and with the positioning of the players,

Interesting team, never seen Michael McGowan or Michael Doddy play..wouldnt be familiar with Shane McManus or alan taafe,

Obviously glad 2 SMG lads are getting gametime and wish them the best of luck, Quinny wuld be my option for chb in nfl, and eoin did well for juniors last yr and deserves his chance, hope Gavin gets a run aswell.

Good to see Brian Curran back hopefully he'll regain his best form for Sligo but it'll take time. It will be interesting to see how David rooney does on Sweeney.

Obviously looking forward to keelan cawley aswell, coen is injured, gary gaughan and donncha gallagher both played againt nuig so hopefully theyll start.

Looking forward aswell to see parsons in his county colours of black and white.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 14/01/2011 13:24:37    846155

Link

great to michael MCgowan on the team real good player ! michael doddy deserves his chance if only for his performances in the club championship ! pity the likes of conor davey, barryo boyle, james hynes and pat hudges werent given another chance
any opinions lads?

sligostar (Sligo) - Posts: 80 - 14/01/2011 14:47:26    846241

Link

Good to hear sligostar, im sure that some of them players will get another chance against NUIG.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 14/01/2011 15:34:02    846303

Link

i would say that it is an exciting team selection just like the galway match. maybe mcgovern should have been tried in goals as we all no what fizzy can do. good to see o'hara playing this early on, it has not happened for a few years, obviously working hard over christmas and watching the injury which kept him out of much of the club championship. the lads that have come in the likes of mcgowan, doddy, mcmanus and taafe obviously had cracking club championships, but they will have to raise their game again to stay in the squad come league time. great to see curran back. we have ben possibly missing something from the half forward line and maybe he is the 1 who can fill the void............been there done that etc. dissapointed for johhny martyn. like others, i would have liked to see him play a more pivotal this time around but a nasty hand injury has prevented that. he will find it hard to work his way into the squad without the fbd league but hes a tryer and hopefully we will get to see him before the end of the national league if the injury clears up, because he clearly has the talent and ability to be in the starting 15 come championship

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 14/01/2011 16:00:35    846337

Link

Is tonights game at 7 or 7.30? Official GAA web says 7.30 with sligo gaa saying 7...
Good to see alot of new players in the mix

westerner (Sligo) - Posts: 192 - 15/01/2011 11:54:26    846753

Link

Fair point westerner, the champion and weekender have different times aswell, 7.30 and 7.00. The weather doenst look too promising today. I going to go with Sligo GAA website time of 7.00 until i hear different.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 15/01/2011 12:35:46    846771

Link

Definitly at 7pm, got it confirmed.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 15/01/2011 12:58:52    846788

Link

ya its def 7 throw in...

bluewaffle (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 15/01/2011 13:15:44    846795

Link

Cheers lads

westerner (Sligo) - Posts: 192 - 15/01/2011 13:52:11    846819

Link

Looking forward to Sligonians report

tumtackeater (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 16/01/2011 17:35:48    847340

Link

What are peoples views on Sat night game. I was not that happy with the performance of most players. Mark Brehany was good from frees and play set up a lot of moves. Eamon was good also. That was about it from sligo I thought. For the sligo players playing with the college Keelan done well I though won a lot of breaking ball and good going forward. Kenneth Sweeney was terrible. Was afraid to get on ball and when he did waisted it. He had 3 frees to put sligo ahead and missed them which were very easy frees. Stephen Coen changed the game when introduced. Looked very sharp and great hands on the young lad won everything that came in gave David Rooney the run around for a man only coming back from injury and done what he done in 20 mins well done. His goal that was ruled out for over carrying i could not understand a great turn bet the two men and burried it into the corner if that had to stand and kenneth put over them frees sligo would have been hammered.
Im looking forward to Sligonian thoughts

riverstown45 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 17/01/2011 11:43:29    847680

Link

Hard game to analyse, thought ref ruined it for everyone. Sligo were lucky to draw, IT for me were better for long spells and soft frees kept us in it. There were snippets of quality play, such as sean daveys run for his point, stephen coens disallowed goal and off the ball running, points from play by Taafe, cawley and quinn both impressed me in respective CHB positions, the sharpness of curran around the middle is good to see again. There plenty of endeavour and energy shown by our lads but the enniscrone had way more cutting and bite to it imo. For me Rooney wasnt tested enough by sweeney in the FF line, sweeney several times came way too deep to get ball, even passing into his HB line, i certainly wont judge either on this game as ITs tactics didnt utilise sweeney at all imo.

For me its a cert for K Cawley, M Quinn, P Mcgovern HB line for the league. Itll be interesting to see which of Conor Davey or Rooney get the nod for the NUIG game. I suppose i hope walsh picks mixture of the best of both games to start against NUIG. We are going to see alot more of maye during the league aswell.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 18/01/2011 14:35:47    848677

Link

Sligo Team to play NUIG

Bryan McGovern
Calraigh/Naomh Iosef

Brian Kennedy
Tuairloistreain

Gavin Gilsenan
Gaeil Naomh Molaise

Ross Donovan
Clarsigh an Oirthear

Charles Harrison
Naomh Eoin

Paul McGovern
Clarsigh an Oirthear

Brian Curran
Tobar an Choire

Tony Taylor
Clarsigh an Oirthear

Brendan Egan
Tuairloistreain

Francis Quinn
Gaeil na Seamroige

Eamonn O'Hara
Tuairloistreain

Pat Hughes
Gaobhach

Mark Breheny
Naomh Mhuire

Adrian Marren
Curraigh

David Maye
Curraigh

Jason Farrell
Gaeil na hAbhann Moire

Conor Davey
Droim Cliabh/Ros Ceite

Mark Quinn
Gaeil Naomh Molaise

David Rooney
Naomh Eoin

Neil Ewing
Droim Cliabh/Ros Ceite

Shane McManus
Gaobhach

Sean Davey
Curraigh

Alan Costello
Cuil Irra/Leathros

Michael McGowan
Naomh Fearnain

James Hynes
Naomh Fearnain

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 21/01/2011 11:56:11    850936

Link

any reports on todays match? who played well who didn't ?

townietalk (Sligo) - Posts: 35 - 23/01/2011 18:58:23    852215

Link

O Hara, Brehony and Marren were good. Wing forwards and mid field were poor, so the backs were under huge pressure in the first half. No 15 for NUIG scored 3 goals, think donovan was marking him for all the game but would not be too worried about it. Egan go injured at the start of the game which didn't help around the middle. Over all, of the new comers i cannot see many of them getting games in the NFL. While some of the new lads look like they have ability, they were lacking in mobility and agression. Maybe with time they can improve their conditioning.

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 23/01/2011 19:49:21    852261

Link

Sligo 0-13 NUIG 3-9

Very harsh scoreline as we dominated for long periods and played some entertaining attacking football. Game started off with Pat Hughes straight threw on NUIG keeper only to kick it straight at him, then NUIG went up a got a welltaken goal. The 2 mayo corner forwards were very sharp and slick and it took us a while to get to grips but our problems were in midfield and HB line. It was 1-2 to 0-1 and then at HT it was 1-7 to 0-6. Sligo outscored NUIG in the first 25 mins of 2nd half 6 to 2 to level 1-9 to 0-12 and sligo missed a 20yard free, 3 goal chances, one a decent save, 2 other just wide, maye just missed 2 frees aswell in that 25 min spell. When Sligo drew level with a brilliant brehony point 5 mins left and sligo on top everywhere, a normal person would think sligo win. 2 long balls over ross donovan into his man equals 2 goals, game over.

Our corner backs keep making fatal errors with lapses in concentration and poor positioning but do play very well for long spells, M Quinn nailed down the CHB postion with a very asured performance and i thought settled down the defence, Harrison did well wing back, Midfield non existant for us, but Gilmartin did well for them, moftm was marren, absolutely destroyed the NUIG defence time and again, won 50/50 ball, looks seriously sharp and confident, costello did well when introduced and got a trademark score, brehony was very good aswell. Gilsenan did fine at FB imo but need to see more of him there, certainly none of the goals were his fault. EOH did well at CHF. Hughes and F Quinn werent as effective as the first day disappointingly, i still think both have alot to offer. Mcgowan was introduced early on for egan, but didnt get involved much, but wasnt helped by more experienced partner who was a shadow of the first day against galway.

Personnally disappointed mcgovern was taken off, he is not a CHB but he is a very good wing back and they could of switched him rather than take him off. I thought curran did poor enough so thats my thinking. Maye needs to offer from play, disappointing again. Personnally i prefer harrison in HB line, he was disciplined today and defended well, got his hands on the ball plenty but certainly his first priority was to defend which is an improvement on the first day.

For the NFL i can see us conceding a few heavy scores and i dont think we have the midfield to get enough ball into forwards to outscore teams, time will tell but we still have alot of positions to sort out. Who will walsh start FB Gilsenan, Rooney or Conor Davey. A few challenges coming up to fine tune that, but it looks likely one of those 3 will thrown in the deep in the NFL. No doubt this div2 will be a serious learning curve for Sligo football.

Donegal first up,

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 23/01/2011 20:30:37    852293

Link

Molaise's compliments yet again..lets hope he lives up to all the hype, he was poor last year, maybe he has improved, let's see..

ExSligohurler (Sligo) - Posts: 85 - 24/01/2011 21:14:22    853068

Link

Should we find it worrying that we are playing Donegal saturday week and we dont have a full back or who will be midfield? Apparently Walsh is holding 2 trial games this week and at the weekend to finalise his league panel - hard to know if any of the newer lads will make the cut.
On sunday's showing it's doubtful - wasnt overly impressed with mcgovern in goals, looked shakey, would worry about gilseann against a quailty FF, Curran isnt a wing back. McGowan isnt up to it imo - good honest intermediate footballer. Possibly Hughes will be kept. Wasnt great sunday, but done well first day out v Galway.
Does anyone any opinions on you'll be dropped? Or what will be the team for Donegal sat week.

Greene, Kennedy, Davey, Donovan, Harrision, M Quinn, P McGovern. Taylor, Gilmartin. F Quinn or Costello, Breheny, O'Hara, Coen, Marren or Sweeney, Kelly.

onthehill10 (Sligo) - Posts: 18 - 25/01/2011 13:09:03    853324

Link