Sligo Forum

County Board Chairman

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think you need to relax Sligonian, there's some good deals on winter holidays at the moment. I think shaneanthony's comments are valid, in that there is serious negativity from you towards the chairman/county board. Fair comment on a discussion board. Maybe you should specifically list the shortcomings you are referring to, giving an example of each so we can see from your point of view.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 27/10/2010 14:32:50    804315

Link

How can hiding behind a username be a weakness when everyone knows my identity?

Ive already pointed out areas i hope the new chairman improves on, which to me is a positive. County players playing at 10/14 of club league games, Playing u20 championship in the summer, selecting a u21 intercounty manager in may after championship is over and minor manager with a few weeks of there championship. Sorting out the transfer of players, ie stop the poaching. If all we can get at clubs is parents and volunteers who dont know much about football, theses people need to be coached, ie coach the coaches...

The new chairman has huge task on the new centre of excellence and getting the funding for it.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 27/10/2010 17:04:38    804504

Link

there is just as much poaching going on in sligo as there is in other counties sligonian, eamon fennell in dublin for example. 6of1 and a have a dozen of the other. on another note i am being deadly serious about you being chairman sligonian. as already stated there is no-one better equipped for the job in sligo. fact

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 27/10/2010 20:43:48    804718

Link

sorry, it sud read 6of1 and HALF a dozen of the other. my apologies

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 27/10/2010 20:44:49    804719

Link

Another area i would like the next county chairman to improve on is the standard of refereeing in the county. There are some very good refs but there are some bad ones aswell. Referees have the power to decide games so its very important that there all up to scratch.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 28/10/2010 11:36:12    804888

Link

Its not the roll of the chairman to involve himself with referees. You cant say your no good of a referee so off with you. They're a limited resource. What should be done is that big matches are given to the top refs as opposed to playing politics with it.

datsrite (Sligo) - Posts: 473 - 28/10/2010 19:56:41    805355

Link

I wonder is it time to change the system we use to get a new Chairman ?? How about we set up an interview panel of a few experts e.g ex chairmen, connacht council reps, etc etc and they invite nominations BUT if they are not happy with the nominees they can go after anyone they like for the job.
When this panel of experts are finally happy they have the right man ..... his name will simply be placed before the County Board for ratification. That is of course after he gets the blessing of the County Board executive beforehand to ensure safe passage through the County Board meeting. Sounds like the perfect system ??? Where did I see it before ??? HINT ..........how did we get our last few senior team managers??

Tommy Murphy (Sligo) - Posts: 176 - 28/10/2010 22:03:04    805489

Link

Sligonian
County: Sligo
We need to ratifiy Managers earlier, we have no U21 OR U18 county manager and after last yrs late johnston appointment we have all but repeated that mistake, no excuse as its been 6 months since Sligo lost u21 final, and the minors lost in June, So whats the hold up. The whole idea of having the u20 NOW is to give the u21 county manager a look at all the players in the county.. This is where the current chairman and CB need to have a long look in the mirror. Hopefully the new one will be a little more proactive.

Sligonian is spot on here. We need in get underage managers in alot quicker if we have any aspirations of any success. Look at the all ireland champions tyrone, who won the all ireland in late september and by the end of october they had a new manager in place and trials underway. We havnt even a manager in place, never mind trials underway and we were out of the championship in June. It just dosnt make sence.
Also our u21s were finished in late spring and here we are in November and the club championship nearly over and no conformation of a manager for 2011.
Is it any wonder that we have the worst record of the FIVE counties in connacht at minior level and havnt not won a title in 42 years with us so unorganized ???????

north.sligo.man (Sligo) - Posts: 39 - 03/11/2010 13:32:35    808665

Link

Sligonian
County: Sligo
We need to ratifiy Managers earlier, we have no U21 OR U18 county manager and after last yrs late johnston appointment we have all but repeated that mistake, no excuse as its been 6 months since Sligo lost u21 final, and the minors lost in June, So whats the hold up. The whole idea of having the u20 NOW is to give the u21 county manager a look at all the players in the county.. This is where the current chairman and CB need to have a long look in the mirror. Hopefully the new one will be a little more proactive.

Sligonian is spot on here. We need in get underage managers in alot quicker if we have any aspirations of any success. Look at the all ireland champions tyrone, who won the all ireland in late september and by the end of october they had a new manager in place and trials underway. We havnt even a manager in place, never mind trials underway and we were out of the championship in June. It just dosnt make sence.
Also our u21s were finished in late spring and here we are in November and the club championship nearly over and no conformation of a manager for 2011.
Is it any wonder that we have the worst record of the FIVE counties in connacht at minior level and havnt not won a title in 42 years with us so unorganized ???????

north.sligo.man (Sligo) - Posts: 39 - 03/11/2010 14:13:22    808706

Link

any word on the candidates for u18 and u21 mangers and selectors?

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 04/11/2010 14:12:27    809487

Link

Cyril Feehily, Peter McHugh, Michael Leonard and Joe Taafe is the latest list i of names going for it. Christy Murphy is supposed to have pulled out.

Mulhern and Johnston are to be u18 and u21 managers in 2011. Mulhern has won 1 cml game in 2 yrs and Johnston beat galway in tuam with average enough performance to gain Sligo a final spot where i feel he didnt get near the best of us. Total disaster and if anyone wonders why weve won 1 trophy at underage in 40 yrs its simple. In 2011 we have the best u21 team in my time supporting Sligo available. But now i feel the manager will mess it up again like last yr.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 06/11/2010 13:41:45    810767

Link

Sligonian I think you are being unfair on Denis Johnston. Writing him off before the u21 season starts is a bit harsh. He is one of the most organised managers I know, not leaving a stone unturned in preparation for the big games. You are very quick to blame management. In fact you are very quick to be critical full stop. All any manager can do is prepare his team as best he can for match day and he will do that. Back in 2001 he also got an u21 team to a connact final. On that day it was the players that let him down, playing for the first 15mins then being overawed by the occasion. Quit making baseless comments unless you have facts to back them up.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 08/11/2010 14:30:32    811981

Link

Informed Nail, 0-4 pts in a Connacht final, is that factual enough with your best forward playing in your half of the field. Of course none of that is the managers fault.

Theres alot more to management than being organised. Can you give an example of his organisation skills and why you think thats so important?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 08/11/2010 15:37:58    812048

Link

Ah your right Sligonian, sure what organisational skills does a manager of a football team consisting of about 30 individuals need at all? In fact you're always right, I'll accept your comments as 100% correct and indisputable from now on.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 08/11/2010 15:52:29    812060

Link

It didnt take much for you quieten down when you realised you were talking rubbish. You should know at that Elite level organisational skills/coaching arent that important as every player is dying to play and already is at a high level, its alot more about man management, team selection and tactics to win. Johnston failed on the last 2 which cost us dear imo.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 08/11/2010 19:28:05    812327

Link

sligonian your last post is a complete joke it just goes to show how far removed you are from the reality of management or even coaching.
being organised is the single most important thing within any group of players its being professional.
how can you impliment tactics ie the core of any gameplan without structured coaching.
your the knowall who knows nothing

paulthebarber (Sligo) - Posts: 70 - 08/11/2010 19:50:49    812358

Link

There's was just a slight hint of sarcasm in my last post Sligonian, not sure if you picked that up... Paulthebarber's spot on, agree 100%. Organisational skills are all encompassing, covers general preparation, man management, training etc. My main point was that its very easy to blame a manager. Players have to shoulder a lot of the responsibility, not all of it, but a lot of it. My other point was highlighting how negative you can be with the chips on your shoulder.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 09/11/2010 11:31:12    812652

Link

Organisational skills are seperate to team selection, tactics and gameplan imo, all 3 things that cost us the connacht final as i said before, man managament to me is in the pyschology category not organisatonal. You learn very little from training let me tell you. You can try tactics in training (no pressure) but id learn alot more in challenge games/competitive matches regards tactics tbh.. Anybody can lay out drills, organise training, organise meetings etc..., at that elite level johnston had good coaches as selectors so for me he failed miserably on the most important parts of management, picking the right team, picking the right tactics, seeing changes during the game, all to do with the most important part of football the 70+ mins on the field. I will say he had our defence well prepared as they conceded very little so credit there, but playing david maye deep away from goals was criminal. Starting 2 small corner forwards who were ineffective in tuam again criminal.

Informed nail, you have a chip on your shoulder regards the players in 2001 and 2010. Of course players have to take responsibilty but it wasnt them that picked the team last yr and used those tactics. I did say last yr the lateness of his appointment didnt help so hopefully this yr he will be better but im worried as the above basic observations went unnoticed by him last yr. Im sure he'll be at the remaining u20 matches this yr.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 09/11/2010 12:30:40    812704

Link

You're a gas man Sligonian. Paulthebarber was right, complete know-it-all. Sometimes there's no point arguing with someone who doesnt listen to any of the points being made by others and just concentrates on their own narrow point of view. So I won't. Completely contrary to what this, a "disccusion board". I love the way you talk down to people as if you have managed and played at the highest level. Gas man.

Informed Nail (None) - Posts: 79 - 09/11/2010 13:01:43    812730

Link

Informed nail, your the gas man, you judge managers on everything leading up to the game, Whereas i judge managers on the 70+ mins of the game, thats the big difference between us. I engaged you in debate, i replied to your points, Whats the problem?

Who is underage next yr in u21 besides these? Conor Davey, Johnny Kelly, Darren Gilsenan, Padraic and James Clarke, David Maye, Conor Griffin, Brian Egan, Denis Coffey, all are not sure about daniel maye, ronan mcgarrigle, etc...

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 09/11/2010 15:25:37    812853

Link