Sligo Forum

New Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Still a lot to play for in Division 1 League. Relegation is like looking for the last seat in a general election, the scene keeps changing. Curry were odds on for the drop but they hit a purple patch and are assured of safety now. Then Eastern Harp's were looking at relegation especially after the hammering by Tubber on Thursday evening. Then lo and behold they Beat Mary's yesterday, and with Curry hammering Drumcliffe they now must be favourite for the chop. No change at the top really as coolaney and Marys both lost. Ironically the 2 teams going to join Tour in the League final are playing the 2 bottom teams so they should be tasty games.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 02/07/2018 11:53:39    2117626

Link

Got to see 2 games yesterday. First of all Molaise and Coolera in what was a warmup for the championship encounter. Molaise looked like a team that didn't want to show there hand. I think Coolera could be darkhorses this year. Over the last 20 + years any team that have won the championship have had a marquee forward (McGowan, Taylor, Marren, Brehony). If Murphy clicks (and it's a big if) you never know how far they could go. The other game I went to was Drumcliffe and Curry which I taught would be a good tight game with both teams down the bottom. Curry blew them out of the water. They were very impressive and look like a team that have got there act together. Marren destroyed Ewing. Drumcliffe were very poor. Playing a defensive system and yet conceding 5-12 says a lot. An epic last weekend is upon us. So much to play for. Eoin og I think Curry can still be relegated if they lose and if Haros and Drumcliffe win.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 02/07/2018 13:59:16    2117709

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Got to see 2 games yesterday. First of all Molaise and Coolera in what was a warmup for the championship encounter. Molaise looked like a team that didn't want to show there hand. I think Coolera could be darkhorses this year. Over the last 20 + years any team that have won the championship have had a marquee forward (McGowan, Taylor, Marren, Brehony). If Murphy clicks (and it's a big if) you never know how far they could go. The other game I went to was Drumcliffe and Curry which I taught would be a good tight game with both teams down the bottom. Curry blew them out of the water. They were very impressive and look like a team that have got there act together. Marren destroyed Ewing. Drumcliffe were very poor. Playing a defensive system and yet conceding 5-12 says a lot. An epic last weekend is upon us. So much to play for. Eoin og I think Curry can still be relegated if they lose and if Haros and Drumcliffe win."
You are correct. I forgot that might happen. If Curry, Harps and Drumcliffe all finish level on points it would be between Harps and Drumcliffe for relegation as there is very little in score difference. I also gave my thoughts on Div 2 but Hogan Stand didn't post it. I wont bother writing it again. It was not controversial.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 02/07/2018 16:09:13    2117776

Link

Elsewhere Ballymote and Owenmore Gaels qualify for the Division 3 final as would probably have been expected from the start.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 03/07/2018 10:17:02    2118016

Link

Last round of games and all to play for in both relegation and the league final.

Coolera vs Toulestrane - Think Toulestrane will go through the motions here and win this game by 4-5 points. Depends if Murphy gets on form early for Coolera it could get tighter. Toulestrane Win

Tubbercurry vs St. Molaise Gaels - Molaise have taken their foot off the gas the last few matches maybe in preparation for championship and Tubber seem to be on the gas. I see a 5 point - Tubbercuury Win

Coolaney vs Eastern Harps - This is the game of the weekend. Both teams need a result one for the final and one to stay out of relegation. After the fight Harps put in the last day down a few players against Marys, I've a feeling Harps could sneak this by the slimmest margins. Harps 1 point win

Shamrock Gaels vs Curry - Gaels took a bad beating the last game and Curry give out a bad beating. Gaels need to stop the Curry attack with Red Og and Curry need to slow the Gaels running game. Curry win by 7+ points

St. Marys vs Drumcliffe - Drumcliffe win and Curry and Harps lose Drumcliffe are safe. Marys win and Coolaney draw or lose then Marys make the league final. Marys lost last week and if Drumcliffe can have the bite like Harps had last week the Marys could be in big trouble, but the advantage of Marys been at home will swing it there way. Marys win 2 Point.

So if the results go like that it would leave Toulestrane vs Marys in a league.

Geevagh vs Enniscrone - Geevagh Win by 5 + points
Bunninadden vs Johns - Bunnies Win by 3 + points
St. Farnans vs St. Michaels - Draw
Easkey vs St. Patricks- Easkey Win by 7+ points
Castleconner vs Calry - Calry Win by 6 + points

Leaving Calry vs Geevagh in the Division 2 Final

shligorovers (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 12/07/2018 14:02:42    2121003

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Tour to win again I'm afraid, hearing reports that all is not well in Mary's camp

Is it not just one team to be relegated like last year? Drumcliffe for relegation

Calry for Division 2 with Michaels relegated and it will be tight but I will go Ballymote for Division 3"
Predictions for this weekend

Coolera vs Tourlestrane - Tour
Tubbercurry vs St. Molaise Gaels - Tubber
Coolaney vs Eastern Harps - Coolaney
Shamrock Gaels vs Curry - Curry
St. Marys vs Drumcliffe - Marys

Geevagh vs Enniscrone - Geevagh
Bunninadden vs Johns - Johns
St. Farnans vs St. Michaels - Farnans
Easkey vs St. Patricks - Easkey
Castleconnor vs Calry - Calry

Happy with my predictions from start of the year, Tour, Calry and Ballymote all top going into final round of games and all in the league finals. Relegation predictions all bottom of table and have tough games to stay up

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 13/07/2018 08:56:03    2121219

Link

Great finish to the league in Div 1. Bottom 3 teams all won but it was too little too late from Drumcliffe so they go down. Both Coolaney and Mary's who were chasing second spot have both lost their last 2 games which probably shows how far behind Tourlestrane the chasing pack are. Harps will be mighty relieved to retain their senior league status, especially with Ross gone for the year. It would have been a disaster for Curry if they lost senior status as they already playing intermediate Championship which they should win. They have won the 3 three league games with ease. Drumcliffe could spend a few years in Div 2. It's difficult to get out of it

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 15/07/2018 17:11:39    2122164

Link

Cannot for the life of me understand the CCCC's decision making, 4 finals fixed for South Sligo venues on Sunday and all FOUR are in different venues. Why not have 2 double headers are the very least and get 2 decent crowds in and let the players enjoy the occassion. I know there's super 8s on the tv, on sunday afternoon but come on Sligo aren't playing it shouldnt be a factor even it is, have one game at 12 second, at 1:30 back home in time for the second half of the 2 o clock super 8 game. The CB and its subsidiaries never seem to amaze me.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 17/07/2018 22:53:20    2123340

Link

Where's the county finals being held this year?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 17/07/2018 23:22:40    2123351

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Can't see Farnans being in relegation trouble, they have struggled as thier county boys haven't played any league yet and Hynes is a loss however will finish up mid table. Michael's are going down, and seems in anyone else can beat anyone else in that division apart from Carly who are steamrolling everyone. I expect John's to get their act together and make the league final, I think they were late back after their long season last season. I think Easkey are an aging team over reliant on McGuire and Mullen, have some good young players who have probably failed to live up to the potential shown thus far and they definitely will not walk the Junior.

I predict wins for Tubber, Tour, Drumcliff, Marys and Coolaney this week in Division 1.
Geevagh, Castleconor, Johns, Calry and Farnans by a whisker in Division 2."
More money to be made in stand alone fixtures. People really only come for one game, they rarely stay for 2. Then they get cross at the admission fee cos it will be dearer due to 2 games Its they choice of venues that rankle with me Politics will decide that Bunnyland will always get big games so Molaise have to head to the most difficult venue in Sligo to find on this occasion
This weekend Calry have to travel to Tourlestrane another insane journey.
Anyway Tourlestrane will easily beat Coolaney in league 1 and in league 2 and 3 I expect Calry and Ballymote to win.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 18/07/2018 11:50:56    2123442

Link

The first round championship venues and times are on the website. Some strange ones

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 18/07/2018 15:28:15    2123521

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "The first round championship venues and times are on the website. Some strange ones"
What are the requirements for pitches to hold these games? Bunninadden, Kilcoyne Park, Connolly Park and Curry the top four pitches in the county for senior games. Is it that they have to have a covered stand. Why don't the county board do double headers with Senior and Inter games from the group stages. I know later on you do have some in Markievicz park but should be done from the start.

shligorovers (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 19/07/2018 13:10:40    2123748

Link

They might as well have just sent Mary's to Achonry and John's to Tourlestrane rather than sending them past their opponents to further away venues. And while it's good to see Collooney back in use is Coolera and Molaise Gaels really the most suitable of games to be played there? The venues for Sunday's league finals are similarly odd, Tourlestrane and Mullinabreena really ought to be in Tubber, Molaise Gaels coming all the way down to Bunninadden (who must get games no matter how inconvenient) and Ballymote and Owenmore Gaels to Cloonacool? Ridiculous.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 19/07/2018 23:39:23    2123901

Link

Replying To shligorovers:  "What are the requirements for pitches to hold these games? Bunninadden, Kilcoyne Park, Connolly Park and Curry the top four pitches in the county for senior games. Is it that they have to have a covered stand. Why don't the county board do double headers with Senior and Inter games from the group stages. I know later on you do have some in Markievicz park but should be done from the start."
No games in Markievicz this year.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 26 - 20/07/2018 11:26:37    2123976

Link

I just seen pictures of them digging it up trying to get it better. So where are county finals going to be held this year? Personally think they should be in Connolly Park. Its in the top three pitches in the county.

shligorovers (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 20/07/2018 11:48:59    2123984

Link

Replying To shligorovers:  "I just seen pictures of them digging it up trying to get it better. So where are county finals going to be held this year? Personally think they should be in Connolly Park. Its in the top three pitches in the county."
It's an excellent pitch. Great location too. Just wonder about spectator facilities though. Stand is a nice job but small. I know the crowds don't be huge though. I seem to remember a county final in marys one time. Think Shamrock Gaels were in it. Tubbercurry maybe. Suppose it might depend on who is in it.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 26 - 20/07/2018 12:36:44    2123996

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "It's an excellent pitch. Great location too. Just wonder about spectator facilities though. Stand is a nice job but small. I know the crowds don't be huge though. I seem to remember a county final in marys one time. Think Shamrock Gaels were in it. Tubbercurry maybe. Suppose it might depend on who is in it."
Bunnyland will have their hand out looking for the Co Final. Great dressing rooms, plenty of parking, but stand is small and pitch is poorish. Tight and narrow with a hill....Coolooney have good dressing rooms, great pitch good stand but terrible location. It's in a residential area with only one road in and out of it..,..,Quigabar ticks all the boxes but it would be madness going there as it's too far away from most clubs.... Tubber most central venue but I have a feeling that they will be contesting the Co Final so it won't be played there.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 20/07/2018 13:39:10    2124019

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Bunnyland will have their hand out looking for the Co Final. Great dressing rooms, plenty of parking, but stand is small and pitch is poorish. Tight and narrow with a hill....Coolooney have good dressing rooms, great pitch good stand but terrible location. It's in a residential area with only one road in and out of it..,..,Quigabar ticks all the boxes but it would be madness going there as it's too far away from most clubs.... Tubber most central venue but I have a feeling that they will be contesting the Co Final so it won't be played there."
Both senior Hurling and senior football finals confirmed for Quigabar

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 20/07/2018 13:57:23    2124022

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Bunnyland will have their hand out looking for the Co Final. Great dressing rooms, plenty of parking, but stand is small and pitch is poorish. Tight and narrow with a hill....Coolooney have good dressing rooms, great pitch good stand but terrible location. It's in a residential area with only one road in and out of it..,..,Quigabar ticks all the boxes but it would be madness going there as it's too far away from most clubs.... Tubber most central venue but I have a feeling that they will be contesting the Co Final so it won't be played there."
Personally would have preferred for Collooney for its location, great pitch, stand, decent carpark. However no doubt Enniscrone have the best overall infrastructure to handle the occasion and best of luck to them. I hope they are getting a decent cut to stage such an event as no doubt lots of preparation and work will be done beforehand. Pray for a good September/October also as pitch wouldn't be the best in wet conditions!

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 20/07/2018 14:05:26    2124024

Link

Replying To shorona:  "Both senior Hurling and senior football finals confirmed for Quigabar"
No way really. Think this is a crazy decision by the county board. From playing on it a couple of years and going up to watch games in the last few years have to say Id be disgusted having to go up and play a county final on that pitch. If tubber or toulestrane do not make it to the county final then their two pitches are definitely ahead of Quigabar. Bad weather in Sept/Oct, the park use to be bad never mind Quigabar.

shligorovers (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 20/07/2018 16:30:24    2124050

Link