Sligo Forum

New Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To pointman2007:  "Can't see Farnans being in relegation trouble, they have struggled as thier county boys haven't played any league yet and Hynes is a loss however will finish up mid table. Michael's are going down, and seems in anyone else can beat anyone else in that division apart from Carly who are steamrolling everyone. I expect John's to get their act together and make the league final, I think they were late back after their long season last season. I think Easkey are an aging team over reliant on McGuire and Mullen, have some good young players who have probably failed to live up to the potential shown thus far and they definitely will not walk the Junior.

I predict wins for Tubber, Tour, Drumcliff, Marys and Coolaney this week in Division 1.
Geevagh, Castleconor, Johns, Calry and Farnans by a whisker in Division 2."
My predictions for the weekend:
Div 1: Wins for Tubber, Tourlestrane, Shamrock Gaels, St. Molaise Gaels (in a low scoring derby), St. Marys
Div 2: Wins for Geevagh, Bunninadden, St. Johns, Easky, Calry
Div 3: Curry, Ballymote, Eastern Harps

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 20/04/2018 15:35:19    2094119

Link

I presume the county players aren't playing club this weekend. Looking at it from a sligo perspective this 'free april' experiment has not worked. Surely injuries are a result of overloading the players? Training for county mid week, club game saturday night and then county training/challenge game oj the sunday. Murphy, O'Connor Marren and McDonnell are now all doubts for London.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 26/04/2018 12:31:23    2095064

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "I presume the county players aren't playing club this weekend. Looking at it from a sligo perspective this 'free april' experiment has not worked. Surely injuries are a result of overloading the players? Training for county mid week, club game saturday night and then county training/challenge game oj the sunday. Murphy, O'Connor Marren and McDonnell are now all doubts for London."
Winter league games this weekend so county players cannot play. I didn't hear that McDonnell was a doubt, his name wasn't mentioned in article yesterday. I don't think O'Connor played with his club this month so he must have been carrying an injury from league and not as a result of overloading and to say injuries are result of overloading is just guess work

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 26/04/2018 14:23:22    2095097

Link

Well he didn't play for his club much in april. Im hearing paddy should be okay. Sligo had a good wim over Antrim during the week too.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 30/04/2018 11:02:13    2095677

Link

Looking forward to club action being back this weekend, my prediction for results for division 1 football are:

Tourlestrane/Drumcliffe - Tour convincingly, won't be easy stopped this year.
Coolaney/Coolera - Coolaney, can see it being a tight game though.
Curry/Molaise - Molaise by a few, starting to build momentum.
Shamrock Gaels/ Eastern Harps - Harps in a drab low scoring affair.
Marys/Tubber - Draw game

Can't see any big upsets this weekend, tubber could do with a result and i think they'll get something from marys who are putting up big scores early on in the year. Tourlestrane have too much for drumcliffe who were lucky against tubber. It will be interesting to see how curry get on against molaise, molaise looking strong and curry yet to get a point. Overall looking forward to the weekend hopefully should make a few of the game, marys tubber will be a cracker

TheWildWest (Sligo) - Posts: 3 - 10/05/2018 13:41:12    2097832

Link

Will county players be released back to clubs for the weekend? I think drumcliff will put it up to tour, the style they play they very rarely get well bet and considering how close the championship game was last year, think there will only be 3-4 points in it. Thought they deserved their win against tubber, tubber couldn't break them down and lacked guidance from the sideline when plan A clearly wasnt working.
Think the marys tubber game depends if marys have their county boys, if they do they will win.
Agree with molaise and harps predictions

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 11/05/2018 13:36:44    2098734

Link

Good that club football is back this weekend after a poor weekend for our inter county football teams last week. What do people think? Top 4 in division 1 lining up against each other. I think it's a shame that all fixtures are at the same time as I would like to have seen Mary's and Tourlestrane. My predictions are
C/M v St Molaise- Home advantage and on a good run I'd say C/M by 3 pts
Mary's v Tour- I've seen Mary's this year but not Tour. Hard to call so I'll go for a high scoring draw
S Gaels v Drumcliffe RP- Drumcliffe very hard to beat these days so will go for them by 2 points
Curry v Harps- I reckon this could be a slight upset and go for a Curry win.
Coolera v Tubbercurry- Tubber not going great, were very poor against C/M but they do have quality throughout the pitch. Murphy may just score enough to see Coolera win by 1.

Div 2
Bunnies v Geevagh- Geevagh
Farnans v Enniscrone- Enniscrone
Pats v Michael's- Pats
Easkey v Calry- Calry
Castleconnor v John's- Castleconnor

Hardtoknowjoe (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 08/06/2018 10:31:06    2108610

Link

Couple of shocks over the weekend, thought marys and tour would have been tighter marys missing breheny martyn coen and o kelly lynch though. Good wins for shamrock gaels curry and coolaney. In div. 2 huge wins for Michael's and easky. Hard to believe Easkey will be playing juinor champo.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 10/06/2018 22:53:32    2109643

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Couple of shocks over the weekend, thought marys and tour would have been tighter marys missing breheny martyn coen and o kelly lynch though. Good wins for shamrock gaels curry and coolaney. In div. 2 huge wins for Michael's and easky. Hard to believe Easkey will be playing juinor champo."
Tourlestrane are cruising already. Shamrock Gaels result really stands out for me. They seem to be going very well.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 11/06/2018 09:26:20    2109732

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Couple of shocks over the weekend, thought marys and tour would have been tighter marys missing breheny martyn coen and o kelly lynch though. Good wins for shamrock gaels curry and coolaney. In div. 2 huge wins for Michael's and easky. Hard to believe Easkey will be playing juinor champo."
Looking like Harps could be staring at relegation after that defeat to Curry. You'd wonder how SG can keep up in D1 yet consistently flop in Intermediate. Good win for Easkey alright, they'll walk it in the Junior.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 11/06/2018 12:15:52    2109888

Link

Any idea what's happening with the Harps and Tubber game?

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 12/06/2018 16:06:45    2110587

Link

Genuinely think SG will win intermediate this year, have a great blend of youth and experience. Can anyone get close to Tour? it doesn't look like it. If Sligo go out to Armagh, will champo be brought forward? As it goes it will be what 6 weeks to championship? and there can't be that many league games left..

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 13/06/2018 10:08:16    2110894

Link

Don't think they will bring the championship forward even if Sligo get beat at the weekend would probably be unfair on the club players who might have made plans etc. Think the intermediate will be between Shamrock Gaels and Calry. I cant see any of the other clubs pushing these two. In the Senior's its Tourlestrane to lose in my opinion. Chasing pack be between Marys, Coolaney and Tubber. All depends who gets out of the group of death.

shligorovers (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 13/06/2018 11:56:34    2110960

Link

Replying To shligorovers:  "Don't think they will bring the championship forward even if Sligo get beat at the weekend would probably be unfair on the club players who might have made plans etc. Think the intermediate will be between Shamrock Gaels and Calry. I cant see any of the other clubs pushing these two. In the Senior's its Tourlestrane to lose in my opinion. Chasing pack be between Marys, Coolaney and Tubber. All depends who gets out of the group of death."
Calry will do well to win intermediate, they might need to get relegated from Senior first

Curry to win intermediate

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 13/06/2018 12:04:02    2110972

Link

Replying To shligorovers:  "Don't think they will bring the championship forward even if Sligo get beat at the weekend would probably be unfair on the club players who might have made plans etc. Think the intermediate will be between Shamrock Gaels and Calry. I cant see any of the other clubs pushing these two. In the Senior's its Tourlestrane to lose in my opinion. Chasing pack be between Marys, Coolaney and Tubber. All depends who gets out of the group of death."
I suppose I just fear that there will be no meaningful football played right bang in the middle of summer when pitches are at their best. Calry are senior, Curry got relegated last year. Be interesting to see how they go, with Red og and Marren they'll definitely be competitive and can see it being between them and SG, don't have any faith in Geevagh and think they will struggle, Bunnies are my dark horse to do well. I thought Tourlestrane were streets ahead of Marys at the weekend, in terms of kick out strategies, creating space, being patient on the ball and working as a team, marys a team of individuals. Be interesting to see if Coolaney can mount a challenge, don't have much faith in Tubber. My Dark horse to reach the semis are Molaise.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 13/06/2018 12:05:26    2110975

Link

Nearly at the end of the league and there are 5 teams in a relegation fight and 4 teams with a chance of making the league final so there is a lot to play for.
Starting this evening Harps host Tubber. If Tubber win they are basically safe as it would need a combination of bizarre results to see them relegated. If Harps win they still another win to remain safe and as they play Marys and Coolaney in their last two games it will be a tough ask on them as both teams they are playing are in the running for a League final .
Next weekend the tie of the round will be Curry away to Drumcliffe. A win for Drumcliffe would leave them safe but again a win for Curry may not be enough. If Harps and Curry who are on the same number of points were to lose their remaining games then Curry would be safe as on a head to head they already beat Harps. Tour play Coolaney and a win for Coolaney would be enough for a league final spot if Marys lose to Harps on Sunday. Everything should be much clearer after the weekend.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 28/06/2018 15:24:11    2116439

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Nearly at the end of the league and there are 5 teams in a relegation fight and 4 teams with a chance of making the league final so there is a lot to play for.
Starting this evening Harps host Tubber. If Tubber win they are basically safe as it would need a combination of bizarre results to see them relegated. If Harps win they still another win to remain safe and as they play Marys and Coolaney in their last two games it will be a tough ask on them as both teams they are playing are in the running for a League final .
Next weekend the tie of the round will be Curry away to Drumcliffe. A win for Drumcliffe would leave them safe but again a win for Curry may not be enough. If Harps and Curry who are on the same number of points were to lose their remaining games then Curry would be safe as on a head to head they already beat Harps. Tour play Coolaney and a win for Coolaney would be enough for a league final spot if Marys lose to Harps on Sunday. Everything should be much clearer after the weekend."
Big winner for Tubber last night. why was this game refixed though? I thought Harps were awarded the game. Interesting permutations all right, coolera not out of the woods either. Marys should beat harps on sunday, that will leave them in serious bother.
predictions for weekend:
Marys, Tubber, Tourlestrane, Curry and Molaise in Division 1.
Castleconor, Farnans, Bunnies Easky and Calry

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 29/06/2018 10:51:02    2116625

Link

My Predictions for the weekend

Div 1
Drumcliffe v Curry - Curry
Harps v St Marys - Marys
Tubber v Shams - Tubber
Tourlestrane v Coolaney - Draw
St Molaise Gaels v Coolera - Coolera

Div 2
Calry v St Pats - Calry
St Johns v St Farnans - Farnans
Enniscrone v Bunninadden - Bunninadden
St Michaels v Castleconnor - Castleconnor
Geevagh v Easky - Draw

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 338 - 29/06/2018 15:15:51    2116711

Link

Replying To muscles:  "My Predictions for the weekend

Div 1
Drumcliffe v Curry - Curry
Harps v St Marys - Marys
Tubber v Shams - Tubber
Tourlestrane v Coolaney - Draw
St Molaise Gaels v Coolera - Coolera

Div 2
Calry v St Pats - Calry
St Johns v St Farnans - Farnans
Enniscrone v Bunninadden - Bunninadden
Geevagh v Easky - Draw"
My turn:

Div 1:
Drumcliffe v Curry - Drumcliffe
Harps v St Marys - Marys
Tubber v Shams - Tubber
Tourlestrane v Coolaney - Tour
St Molaise Gaels v Coolera - Molaise

Div 2:
Calry v St Pats - Calry
St Johns v St Farnans - Johns
Enniscrone v Bunninadden - Enniscrone
Geevagh v Easky - Easkey

Leitrim to beat Monaghan in Carrick!!!

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 29/06/2018 15:27:31    2116716

Link

Still a lot to play for in Division 1 League. Relegation is like looking for the last seat in a general election, the scene keeps changing. Curry were odds on for the drop but they hit a purple patch and are assured of safety now. Then Eastern Harp's were looking at relegation especially after the hammering by Tubber on Thursday evening. Then lo and behold they Beat Mary's yesterday, and with Curry hammering Drumcliffe they now must be favourite for the chop. No change at the top really as coolaney and Marys both lost. Ironically the 2 teams going to join Tour in the League final are playing the 2 bottom teams so they should be tasty games.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 656 - 02/07/2018 11:53:39    2117625

Link