Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Roscommon May 22nd

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd be hugely surprised if this was the side that started the game on Sunday

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 19/05/2016 16:20:13    1856470

Link

Would expect Prior and / or Woods in there if Murphy doesn't make it. Mickey McWeeney certainly won't start the game at #3.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 19/05/2016 16:48:22    1856490

Link

murphy is just recovering from a shoulder injury and woods has a hamstring injury, so the team named wil.l not be the team that starts

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 19/05/2016 20:58:04    1856556

Link

Mickey McWeeney started at full back in recent challenge games.

Its a defensive Leitrim line up where they are obviously looking to keep things tight first half then 2nd half with a few changes in personal and positioning to throw kitchen sink at the rossies.

What happened in the league means nothing for Sunday's championship encounter, Leitrim have been training and preparing for this game since October I would be surprised if Leitrim don't at least die with their boots on.

Mr_Pundit (UK) - Posts: 677 - 19/05/2016 21:07:29    1856559

Link

Cant make the game on Sunday is it on TV or a case of having to listen to Willie

Rossman74 (Roscommon) - Posts: 6 - 19/05/2016 21:22:50    1856561

Link

You'll be listening to Willie id say.

I can't see that Leitrim team starting. Murphy surely can't be match fit. He hasn't played a competitive game since the Carlow match. I'd be surprised if prior doesn't start.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 256 - 20/05/2016 20:43:55    1856896

Link

This is in my opinion the quietest I've ever seen the Leitrim forum on here before a champ game with Ross. No hype, very little talk of game around the county, no expectations, team camp very quiet - its unlike other years- Lads it's all set up for a shock

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 20/05/2016 21:37:36    1856914

Link

It's great to see our "star" forward getting ready for the biggest game of the year by staring in a video for a well know clothes shop.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 21/05/2016 08:54:16    1856938

Link

Are you surprised? No "I" in Emlyn but there is an "I" in Mulligan..

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 21/05/2016 10:37:59    1856951

Link

typical of what he is at every year instead of keeping his head down for the big game on sunday,same as garry Reynolds in the sun paper today .Let the manager deal with the press ,and the player keep there minds on the game on sunday .The best of luck to all the Leitrim squad now go out and beat the rossies.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 21/05/2016 14:04:51    1857010

Link

This is in my opinion the quietest I've ever seen the Leitrim forum on here before a champ game with Ross. No hype, very little talk of game around the county, no expectations, team camp very quiet - its unlike other years- Lads it's all set up for a shock

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts:229 - 20/05/2016 21:37:36 1856914

SSSSSHHHHHHHhhhhhhh......... (the Rossies might see that)

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 524 - 21/05/2016 15:31:31    1857021

Link

Best of luck to the Leitrim team today, hoping to see a big Leitrim following as the rossies will travel in big numbers as always and these leitrim lads have given their lives to the cause and deserve strong support. Im hoping the lads perform to their maximum and that's all we as supporters can ask for , many times in the past we've been competitive with teams that were better than us and hopefully today will be no different.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 362 - 22/05/2016 08:45:04    1857155

Link

Good luck to the boys today. Big performance required.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 22/05/2016 09:16:28    1857163

Link

Very very poor display but playing some lads that aren't fit is a joke. A blind man could see Murphy wasn't gonna be up to it today. It's not fair on him either expecting him to play after such a long lay off. Wrynn and Moran very disappointing. I believe we'll have to look for another midfield team. Kennedy was smothered up anytime he got the ball. He needed more help. Very disappointing

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 256 - 22/05/2016 18:30:10    1857424

Link

Hell

Jimmy_McNulty (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 22/05/2016 20:03:41    1857469

Link

Well that was torturous, but you have to have huge sympathy for the Leitrim lads, but unfortunately this team is at it's lowest ebb for many years. Roscommon are weak at the back which wasn't exploited at all, but luckily for them they have great forwards.

Mindthatbullock (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 22/05/2016 20:20:52    1857476

Link

Replying To Ouryear:  "Very very poor display but playing some lads that aren't fit is a joke. A blind man could see Murphy wasn't gonna be up to it today. It's not fair on him either expecting him to play after such a long lay off. Wrynn and Moran very disappointing. I believe we'll have to look for another midfield team. Kennedy was smothered up anytime he got the ball. He needed more help. Very disappointing"
Not sure who you think can be our midfield, the two lads there currently are the best we have got, and Moran was one of our better players today.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 22/05/2016 20:37:40    1857493

Link

Our midfield is the best we have. Whether or not wrynn is fit enough is another issue. No surprise with the result at all. Few lads probably heading to the states now, can't blame them. Ross were streets ahead of us. Pity some lads lost the plot. Sweeney ??? What was he at?? When we can't manage to prepare the PA system properly for a big game it kinda reflects the extremely haphazard nature of our entire set up. Oh, last part of the rant , our forwards are absolutely abysmal .

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 22/05/2016 21:22:02    1857523

Link

Today highlighted how poor Leitrim football is. Roscommon were by far and away better than us. Thanks god they hit so many wife's and had a bad day shooting otherwise it would have been a 25+ beating.

I was talking to a Roscommon man after the game and he said Ross's success is down to a few things but mostly this- St Brigid's in Roscommon were at one time winning the county title every year, they were a club that took a professional approach to everything they did and really ran away with winning everything in Roscommon culminating in a club all Ireland. The other clubs were going through the paces (like Leitrim clubs are now) and had to match their commitment to compete at all. That's what they done and now Roscommon teams are all committed to training at as professional a standard as possible. This has resulted in Ross having a super professional and committed club scene playing a high standard of football. Add top class underage structures feeding young players in to this environment and a fantastic fundraising approach such as club rossie and sponsorship partners and is it any wonder Roscommon are doing so well??

Fair play to them is all I can say. But why can't Leitrim do the same???? Why can't our clubs and structures be the best they can be?

Waiting for a good draw in round one of the qualifiers is not what I wanna be waiting for every year!

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 22/05/2016 21:48:41    1857545

Link

I wasn't at much yesterday so headed for Carrick to see what the craic is with both teams.

Rossies although decimating Leitrim didn't come out of 2nd gear.

Leitrim are very poor. Conlon was superb and only for him Leitrim would have done even worse. Wrynn at midfield I actually thought worked really hard and didn't do too much wrong. Beaten at midfield for various reason so I wouldn't necessarily blame him. Maguire in full back did ok but way too much pressure on the defence.

Tactics were awful. Why was Conlon so deep. Its Like they decided to play a sweeper but just picked a name out of a hat. They looks their best player and played him out of position. He didn't know where to be or what to do defensively. Leitrim conceded every kick out to play this tactic and it did not work at all and yet nothing was changed.

What was Sweeneys red for? I actually thought it was going to be red for a Rossie given that the goalkeeper was rolling on the ground. Both black cards were certs. Was the last Red straight or a second yellow. He is an aggressive player but he was always going to see the line in that game I felt. He needs to be coached as to how to go into the tackle. Use that aggression as a strength not a weakness.

Where do you go from here? Is ward going to leave at the end of the year? Who could replace him anyway? Is there other players who should be involved? Is there a player (either half forward or half back) who plays as a sweeper for his club? Is there any prolific forwards that could be brought in because the current forwards lack scoring power?

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 23/05/2016 08:29:04    1857565

Link