Leitrim Forum

Inter-County Championship team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I know the mood surrounding the management team and players isn't a positive one at this stage, especially with Ross coming to town but it is imperative for Leitrim Football moving forward that the senior team provide a decent performance against Ross which could give momentum for the qualifiers where it would be huge if we could even gain one win. Even for the fact it may entice decent people to apply for the job for next year. My team would be

Flynn
Murphy Woods McGuire
Prior Reynolds(if fit) Gallagher
Moran
Wrynn
Rooney Mulligan Conlon
Gilheany Kennedy Gaffney

Some harsh omissions such as McWeeney but I feel Priors a better ball player and Gallagher gives a physical option. Solely picking this team to contain the Ross, hence why I'd leave Gilheany with his pace inside with Kennedy. Let Gaffney and Mulligan roam around the 40 and everyone else drop deep and attempt to counter when we have possession.

Typically at this time of year in Leitrim we look at what we might have had with better luck, commitment and management, Plunkett, Quinn Brennan would all easily make this team.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 27/04/2016 09:02:13    1849944

Link

Nevin O'Donnell? played good ball for leitrim at the start but then seemed to fade away? also I Believe Killian Mcgriskan playong great football at club and aswell at county? should be in there.

LeitrimLoyal (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 27/04/2016 12:32:51    1850054

Link

Leitrim1234 Can you please justify why Micheal McWeeney is not starting?? Hands down our best performer in the league.

Dan_Toal (Leitrim) - Posts: 233 - 27/04/2016 15:10:35    1850143

Link

dan toal leitrim1234 has no mcweeney in because he has to justify getting his aughawillan contingent in, attacking the management for 2 players who for their own reasons can't give the commitment required to play intercounty football at the moment and another who got an unfortunate injury isn't very productive. Michael Mc Weeney well worth his place on any leitrim 15 at present, but hey this is a forum and he is entitled to his opinion as much as the next man!

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 495 - 27/04/2016 15:59:53    1850171

Link

What are you gibbering about totalrecall?

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 129 - 27/04/2016 16:02:53    1850174

Link

It is good to see some discussion about the team to play Roscommon whatever about some of the suggestions

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 27/04/2016 16:16:09    1850179

Link

All I was hoping to achieve was create discussion and have which is positive.

The reason why I did not include O'Donnell as I feel he has gone flat in the last two months and he may be better suited being brought on. However, another full year of strength and conditioning should have a massive effect on him, its easy to forget that this was his first year on a senior inter-county team. I included Murphy ahead of Michael McWeeney as I feel he would be more suited to mark Murtagh. But infairness to M. McWeeney he is a good enough footballer it would not be a problem to start him ahead of either Prior/Gallagher or start him as an attacker and use him as an extra defender. Lets be realistic though, there are only one or two positions at present that are going to be contested most of them are locked in at this stage.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 27/04/2016 18:18:13    1850216

Link

lets not kid ourselves it is going a damage limitation job against roscommon, footballing ability aside there will is a huge difference physically as well as well. this was demonstrated very clearly in the 2014 connacht u-21 final. roscommon have been working with many of this group since they were u-16 and they have been doing strength and conditioning for a lot longer that the leitrim lads. it's now also the difference between competing in Division 1 and Division 4. Square_B you may think i'm gibbering when i am merely pointing out a few facts, that's your opinion and your entitled to it. but if you think i'm gibbering at least point make an attempt to point out the inaccuracies in what i am saying!

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 495 - 28/04/2016 13:54:22    1850426

Link

My Team to face ros:
B.Flynn, M.Murphy, N.Woods, M.Mcweeney, P.Mcguire, R.Gallagher, k.Conlon, S. Moran, D. Sweeney. T.Mulvey, Mulligan, N.O'Donnell, Kennedy, Wrynne, Croal. Controversial but that's about as attacking as we get. . . Sorry but it will be a colossal tanking. Best of luck to team and management.

Familydad89 (Leitrim) - Posts: 32 - 28/04/2016 16:09:30    1850496

Link

Look the lads are training as hard as any team in the country and credit has to be given to these lads!!i wish management and team the best of luck for it.is there junior championships this year or did we even put in a team?

Celticmanor (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 30/04/2016 15:41:28    1850914

Link

Juniors play Galway in semi final on Wednesday

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 30/04/2016 19:48:57    1851000

Link

What sort a team we throwing into that??what Galway be like

Celticmanor (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 30/04/2016 20:35:44    1851019

Link

Playing galway in tuam Wednesday at 7

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 01/05/2016 15:34:35    1851128

Link

Anyone who says that we are training as hard as any other county is away with the birds. How many county players have been outstanding in the three club matches so far? How many of our players would be able to do a full training session in Mayo, Roscommon or Galway? This team are further behind the other counties in fitness that at any time in the recent past.

Nothing makes me laugh quite as much as 'Leitrim train as hard as every other county'. Who exactly are we kidding with this drivel.

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 01/05/2016 18:37:33    1851172

Link

Well yesterday's result would suggest we shouldn't write off our chances entirely, the management and players have 20 days to fine-tune and focus the hearts and minds on a championship Derby. What's to lose at this point? If a squad of Irish lads from all over the country who happen to be living in NYC can push Ros to the limit having played no inter county games for the last 12 months then surely we can rattle a cage or two?

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 02/05/2016 12:27:58    1851285

Link

Castlefore that is an outrageous statement ,lacking evidence.Just because the county players don't shine at club level is not evidence that they don't train hard,perhaps it is more indicative of ability.
The team is training as hard as anyone else and we should be encouraging them rather than making disparaging statements about their efforts and commitment.
Come on boys let's give Roscommon a rattle.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 02/05/2016 12:50:55    1851293

Link

The fear id have is the huge scare roscommon got over in New York yesterday will knock the complacency out of them and they'll arrive in carrick in three weeks focused and determined to prove a point. They may have a few injured players back too. If they do i would be fearful to be honest. Sincerely hope im wrong though.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 02/05/2016 13:06:16    1851302

Link

joeman123 I'd be as big a supporter as anyone and have been on the road following Leitrim for a lot longer than I care to remember but I live in the real world and this Leitirm team puts in about 60% of the effort of the top teams for several reasons including resources, finances and players being so far apart for collective training. Your codding yourself if you think they train as hard as other teams.

That said I seen those lads come back to club training last year and they were not as fit as the lads training with their clubs, ask any club player from clubs with county representation and they will confirm that. I hope we put in a big performance against Ros but experience tells me you don't come from second last in DIv 4 to trouble a Div 1 team.....

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 02/05/2016 15:00:26    1851345

Link

That's loser thinking g&g. Typical from alot on here. We will be going every bit as focused and organised as the rossies. They have trained like devils to stay up in div 1 and are feeling effects now. Grest time to get them. They'll be asking questions about themselves-Were early league results a fluke? After decent start they have limped to heavy defeats to Mayo, Mon and are badly out of form. They have a weak midfield, burnt out underage players, small backline in general that can be got at and are mentally fragile. See their underage collapses last few years and qualifier loss to Fermanagh last year. No reason whatsoever why we wont turn them over in our backyard cheered on by LOYAL crowd. I watched cavan last weekend going toe to toe with my bets for All Ireland. Cavan man for man are no better than us and haven't even a forward of calibre of Mulligan.Time more started getting behind the lads and stopped being negative.

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 02/05/2016 15:16:21    1851352

Link

Piratehooker I think in fairness most people on here are just been realistic. I was at most of the league games this year and I seen nothing to suggest that we can compete against roscommon. I really hope your right because a win against the rossies would be unreal. The fact is roscommon will get a lot of criticism for their display yesterday so there not going to be complacent coming to Carrick which is what we needed to have any hope. A big win for them yesterday would have been better for us in my opinion. You can't hide the fact we finished second bottom division 4 either. I admire your optimism Piratehooker really hope your proven right and I'm completely wrong.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 02/05/2016 15:52:40    1851363

Link