Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Antrim Sunday 2nd February Pairc Sean

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lads the FBD is over lets try and focus on sunday now

Any word on the injuries, a round of sigerson games this week lets hope everyone gets through unscathed

what do we change from sunday last?

Sweeney to start if fit would be one for me

Half back line unchanged as that is the fulcrum of our team

the 2 wing forwards deserve a start after their efforts last sunday

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 29/01/2014 10:08:36    1538154

Link

Id go with same full and half forward lines to start

Midfield is a hard call

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 29/01/2014 10:15:31    1538157

Link

Sweeney to start at midfield ,mulligan at centre forward and john mulligan in the corner.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 29/01/2014 19:46:40    1538517

Link

Hopefully we have learned lessons from last years league. The Limerick game last year was billed as a "must win" game.In my view there was too much emphasis put on that game both before and after and it seemed that the rest of the league was written off. In reality if we had beaten Clare and Offaly we would still have been in contention for promotion. We should have won those games.Focus on one game at a time and worry about tables later.The reason some of the teams are in division 4 is because of inconsistency. They can be brilliant one minute and atrocious the next. Teams drop points when you least expect it and there will be opportunities to regain ground if its lost.

I was at most of the games last year and the difference I can see this year is that the team seem to be playing with more confidence, there is a game plan and of its not working changes are made before its too late.The forwards are moving better and the team in general are able to win and hold onto the ball a lot better than last year. What was really encouraging against Roscommon was our ability to hold onto the ball until the right pass was on. Everyone seemed comfortable on the ball and the Hail Mary option was rarely employed.

Whatever happens on Sunday we shouldn't get carried away with the result and the focus should move to winning the next game.

nil.desperandum (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 30/01/2014 11:19:16    1538677

Link

Nil Desperandum makes the most valid of points, losing to Antrim should and will not decide whether we get promoted or not in the League. A win will be great nut this is the toughest game we will encounter in the league. Pairc Sean is no fortress as championship results have shown over the years. I think We will be in the shakeup for promotion regardless of Sunday's result. Patience is key, love what Hagan is doing and while I liked George and Barney's input I feel there is a gameplan with more substance and better suited to Leitrim players now. We are only 4 games in to this regime so give it a chance. Don't go all negative next week if the result doesn't go our way. There is a bigger picture.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 30/01/2014 13:28:25    1538741

Link

Has anybody heard from solo_run lately we could get the NFL competition up and running

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/01/2014 13:32:23    1538743

Link

one game at a time is a fair shout

how limerick got up last year i dont know, they escaped from ruislip and only just

really looking forward to sunday now and hope the support comes out and gets behind the team and gets us off to the start we want

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 30/01/2014 13:36:12    1538746

Link

Leitrim football in a healthy state?

That wasn't very evident in the Connacht club championship?
Manorhamiltons second team won the intermediate championship.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 31/01/2014 10:57:23    1539131

Link

Spot on hushastings. Club football is very poor at present.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 31/01/2014 11:12:26    1539142

Link

Id have to agree jimmy

We are the bridesmaids in connacht at club level senior inter and junior

Looking at Sunday's game similar weather promised to last week

Id be hoping for slightly less wind and hail

Alot of support play and recycling and this will break down antrims attack and open their wall across the 45

I have a feeling mulligan is going to be their target once again being double marked

So if he is able to get ball to loose men in a scoring position good and well

I hope Mulvey moran and Lowe are ready

LIATROIM ABU

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 31/01/2014 11:39:51    1539161

Link

any word on the teams for tomorrow yet?

similar style game to last week with them conditions

no mcgourtys in the antrim first 15 is a good thing but expect we will see them at some stage

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 01/02/2014 16:20:38    1539647

Link

The same team as last sunday,we have to get off to a winning start and give ourselves a good chance for promotion.Best of luck tomorrow to sean and all the lads up leitrim.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 01/02/2014 19:17:23    1539719

Link

The very best of luck today lads conditions are good for the time of year

Play hard

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/02/2014 13:19:09    1539863

Link

Well wasn't that mighty

If there is one criticism today is stop taking the ball into corners and losing it 30m out give it a lash,delighted with today and lovely pints in paddy's again

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 02/02/2014 18:01:25    1540094

Link

Congrsts on great win.

Any reports on game from someone who was there

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 02/02/2014 19:47:58    1540199

Link

fantastic result, a bit of fine tuning needed with the game plan, fitness needs to be improved in certain sectors but attitude is phenomenal. The heart that Paul Brennan represented last year seems to be in every player. Really excited about this bunch, tough away games may bring me back down to earth but refreshing to see the lads sticking to a game plan and not being over awed by bigger profile players. Hagan deserves immense credit for getting the pitch right for every game so far.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 02/02/2014 20:01:53    1540214

Link

Well done but to be honest beating Antrim isn't something to sing and dance about; Antrim senior teams are a soft touch for anybody these days.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9194 - 02/02/2014 21:34:28    1540311

Link

as regards the game, we could have been out of sight by half time had we taken our chances, the post saved us a couple of times tooas well as one outstanding stop from Cathal, so far so good, lets get something out of ennis next sunday, didnt think the ref gave mossy any protection yesterday at all and we might well have had at least one penalty when he scored the point but if someone said to us a 5 point win beforehand we would have taken it, as said above some fine tuning and having a pop from 30 m out going forward would be good places to start and maybe empty the bench a bit quicker, some serious competition for places ahead, I would say 8 spots up for grabs in may right now, the other 7 pretty much nailed down, i would say they are McCrann, Maguire, McKeown, Brennan, Mulligan, Conlon, Sweeney

some interesting battles for position ahead
full back
centre back
2nd and 3rd midfielder
Inside forwards
No 11 i think should be mulligans

Where do we play mossy? 9 or 14

A nice headache for hagan

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 03/02/2014 09:53:16    1540379

Link

Unigaa, are you joking about centre back being up for grabs? Reynolds was sensational again yesterday, following on from last week!Minds the fort along with conlon while mc keon and brennan surge forward! It's notable by the way how mc keon was caught out time and again in the second half...needs to learn how to mark his man when we are out of possession. A good win, however, plenty to work on for Ennis next week! Onwards and upwards!
My Ratings from yesterday:

Mc Crann - 8 - kickouts very good and one great save

Prior - 7 - very solid, sharp runs out from defence
Wrynn - 8 - very good from the young newcomer, could be a fixture
Maguire - 8 - getting fitter and better with every game

Brennan - 8 - great scores in first half, doesnt get back quick enough for me
Reynolds - 9 - four massive turnovers in second half, good presence, led well
Mc Keon - 7 - not as good as the previous week, caught out a lot in second half

Hickey - 7 - young, raw...good engine and will improve
Moran - 8 - graet effort

Conlon - 9 - quality player on the ball, deceptively strong
Lowe - 5
Clancy - 7 - worked hard, didnt waste much ball, unselfish

Mulligan - 7 - not his best but a brilliant free near the end
Mossy - 8 - great effort, getting fitter and better
Cox - 6 - tried hard

timeforachange (Leitrim) - Posts: 61 - 03/02/2014 10:20:26    1540400

Link

I said I wasn't going to comment here anymore but I was at the match yesterday and changed my mind. Very impressed with Leitrims performance. I thought they could have ran away with it only for some wayward shooting.
I thought Emlyn Mulligan was immense. He was everywhere showing for the ball and had great composure. On one occasion he threw himself at a dangerous ball he had no right to win, won it and nearly was mowed out of it. Put over 2 monster frees from the 45. One of Paul Brennans points in the first half was worth the 10 euro admission fee.
The backs were superb as well, the amount of tackles and dispossesions of dangerous Antrim attacks was something else. Paddy Maguires block was the highlight. We rode our luck at times but I think Leitrim deserved their 5 point win. E. Mulligan, K. Conlon, P.Brennan, G. Reynolds, Wrynn and Maguire were all brilliant.
The crowd was the only disappointing thing of the day, the lads deserve better support.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 226 - 03/02/2014 11:20:02    1540431

Link