Leitrim Forum

The Year Ahead

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just noticed these Leitrim boards are very active compared to the Longford and Cavan ones, maybe that's why Leitrim are so below par, half the potential in the county is sitting on the laptop during lunch hour and in the evening giving out instead of training or improving themselves with a set of bollards and a bag of balls down at the park.

And yeah I'm aware of the irony but I'm a bit over the hill for Sean Hagan's panel at this stage, so no worries there.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 08/01/2014 14:08:17    1528972

Link

No Personal attacks were mentioned on my behalf, and as for the county board they wont win you a game! I know what your saying but my point is we're all too happy with one championship win and play in div 4, why can't we get out this year, we have Antrim and Tipp at home and we can beat Wicklow and Waterford away, Clare will be a test but we should have given them a good hammering last year only for a complete meltdown!! Re: Maxwell, villatown may help us out but I reckon he's 33/34, Foley is around 30/31, again my point was we have to rebuild at some stage and cant keep going to the old guard, anyways i highly doubt Declan would play county again

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 08/01/2014 14:42:36    1528994

Link

mouse mat i wasnt saying the personal stuff was coming from yourself

there is no harm having a bit of experience and class while we await some more coming through the ranks

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 08/01/2014 15:37:00    1529029

Link

@dodgy_pass I fully agree with you and as anyone who knows me knows I train every evening and it is enjoyable to go down to the park with a bag of balls and practice a few freesthe only problem at the minute is the weather

@mousemat I agree with you to a point the onlything id argue is the likes of Shane Foley brings a form of leadership to a panel as does Declan Maxwell and when you can bring on Foley as Tyrone does O'Neill it lifts the spirit when lads are running out of steam . He would be good for a score or 2 or setting up a few scores that could win a game

I mentioned in a different post former leitrim players Mick Foley and Dermot relonds playing with nafianna Enfield in Meath and clane in kildare Foley captained nafianna to an intermediate championship win in 2012 and captained them to a senior co final 2013 he is around the 35 mark id guess

I was told Dermot relonds could make the kildare senior panel and he got player of the year this year with clane the club he now plays for. Im guessing him and Maxwell are the same age

If a player is good enough and a leader like say peter canavan or OisinMcConville then they should be there to guide the younger lads on

And Maxwell and Shane Foley are both born leaders and well respected in their home clubs and across the county

Im not happy with 1 championship win every summer and im not happy finishing 2,3,4th place in the league

Winners come first and as Joe kernan told his boys at half time on the 3rd Sunday in September 2002 there are no prizes for second place. He then took out his runners up plaque from the allireland he himself came second in and threw it against the wall. I know this because I had a cousin on that team

Stephen cluxton is 32 so is Alan Brogan Bernard Brogan is 30 them lads are after winning everything at the top to date with huge pressure from younger players wanting to start on the team in their places

As I said a game at a time let's see how mcloughlin and mahon get on and what other new faces will appear this weekend

LIATROIM ABU

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/01/2014 16:14:09    1529064

Link

Declan Maxwell is around the 31 year old mark! As forcoming back to the County I doubt it...Gave his time as did John McKeon. Good to see Donal Wrynne playing at the weekend and McCrann out field! Alot of players back who never made it before so why would the now?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 08/01/2014 18:32:20    1529159

Link

I have no cousin on the Armagh team but I knew about Joe kernan's half time talk. It is public knowledge. Dermot Reynolds is 36, turns 37 mid way through this year. As the old adage goes if hes good enough he is young enough

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 08/01/2014 18:45:23    1529167

Link

lads i need a favour, I am home for the Antrim, Carlow and Tipp games and might need a fast lift back to dublin to catch a flight on the sunday evening if anyone can assist no issue sharing fuel costs, drop me a note [email protected], cheers in advance

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 09/01/2014 10:12:04    1529347

Link

@bananapublican blood is thicker than hearsay

An aunt of the mothers married a cross man in 1967

Well said villatown both Maxwell and McKeon served their county well over the years

Maybe a coaching role with the minor u21 senior team in coming years could be on the cards

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 09/01/2014 13:56:42    1529449

Link

Couldn't agree more lads regarding experience and having lads there that have played against the big teams, I heard two years ago from a man close to Maxwell that he wouldn't go back so this I knew, exactly as you have said he owes nothing to the county, just on a side note seeing that Foley is back playing how many different managers has he now played for???

I wouldn't get too excited about Mike Foley captaining Na Fianna from what I heard he was a great talker and motivator thats why he was captain also had years of county experience but was found wanting in a good few Championship games, they used him at centre back as a free player (15 dropped back to play centre back) he didnt have the legs to keep going fair play to himself and Reynolds.

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 10/01/2014 12:54:36    1529972

Link

A 2nd tier mayo team just beat GMIT by 3 points

1.06-0.12

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 10/01/2014 20:51:09    1530273

Link

Mayo have not got a second tier team, they play only in Div 1. If you mean they tried out players new to the county set up then state that. A county where football is by far their number 1 sport with a good population can do this regularly and not expect to lose so no need to be alarmed.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 11/01/2014 08:59:55    1530301

Link

Good performace but narrow defeat for u21's against Meath.
anybody at match

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 11/01/2014 15:36:52    1530405

Link

It was NUIG anyway not GMIT

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 11/01/2014 16:45:34    1530427

Link

Leitrim 1-10 Galway 2-6 great result well done to all

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 12/01/2014 15:24:58    1530658

Link

@hudhastings well pointed out

@bananapublican I do believe you have contradicted yourself as a standard county panel consists of 30 players

A starting 15 and a reserve 15 ie. A tier 2 team some counties have upto 100 players in county training to pick for first and second teams

So there are counties that have tier 1,2,3,4 teams mainly for training purposes and competitions such as fbd,McKenna,o'beirne cup and so on

So before you answer a post again insure it isn't lacking credibility and common sense

If mayo hadn't a tier 2 outfit they would simply have the bare 15 players and NO reserve players

Great win today for Sean and the lads

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 12/01/2014 15:53:54    1530674

Link

Big woory for ye is that I think Robbie Lowe picked up an injury today. Hope he isn't out too long

The_High_Rhode (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 12/01/2014 17:12:39    1530728

Link

I was tuned into the radio for the game. Leitrim were lucky to be in the game at half time but were the better team in the second half. Mulligan showed his class kicking a point with the last kick. Anyone no why Wayne McKeown wasn't on the panel today or at least he wasn't mentioned on the radio? Strange McCrann went back in goals thought he had a good game the last day. Gerry hickie started corner back to try and mark Danny Cummins great to see Hagan making big calls like that. I know we can't get carried away but with a few more players too come back in we could div 4 a right crack. Galway had a strong team out as well today and we showed great character to come from a point down with 2 minutes too go. Well done lads

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 12/01/2014 18:25:37    1530787

Link

I was tuned into the radio for the game. Leitrim were lucky to be in the game at half time but were the better team in the second half. Mulligan showed his class kicking a point with the last kick. Anyone no why Wayne McKeown wasn't on the panel today or at least he wasn't mentioned on the radio? Strange McCrann went back in goals thought he had a good game the last day. Gerry hickie started corner back to try and mark Danny Cummins great to see Hagan making big calls like that. I know we can't get carried away but with a few more players too come back in we could div 4 a right crack. Galway had a strong team out as well today and we showed great character to come from a point down with 2 minutes too go. Well done lads

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 12/01/2014 18:25:44    1530788

Link

wayne was at a wedding in italy, one of the ballinamore lads, nothing to see here

hopefully back for next sunday

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 12/01/2014 19:31:52    1530840

Link

Ok that solves that then. Be great to have him back next week. Best back we have in the county. Is Shane Moran on the panel this year? Might have been at the wedding as well or maybe playing colleges. Think we should go all out to convince Conor birein to come back if he says no then he shouldn't be asked again. But if mulligan got injuried we have no natural scorer Conor fits that bill perfectly

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 12/01/2014 21:57:39    1530919

Link