Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Melvin Gaels are a hard team to call this year. They seem to have been ravaged by retirements, transfers, emigration & injuries not to mention a change of management during this season. However for a team with so many problems, they have produced some good league results mixed in with some poor ones. Their wins over Mohill & Annaduff standout. However it is hard to see the Gaels holding onto their title this year but i expect them to possibly reach the semi finals.

Mohill like every other year are considered contenders in the early part of the season but seem to fall away by the time summer comes around. This year has been no different. They are a team that should be more in the mix for senior championships as they have quite a few talented players but don't seem to gel well as a team. I think they will get out of their group easy enough but when the real championship games come around I think they will be found wanting again.

Aughawillan are still a very young team and it will be interesting to see if last years semi final appearance was a flash in the pan or are these lads really and up & coming force. The manner of their championship exit last year will still hurt and if they come up against one of the bigger clubs again this year their mental strength will be severely tested. I think that maybe a quarter final place awaits Aughawillan this year if they are one of the best 3rd place finishers.

johnmurphy (Sligo) - Posts: 25 - 24/05/2013 12:49:16    1390429

Link

Bornacoola are a very experienced outfit who have shown extremely well in championship football over the past number of years. However judging by their league results and despite the fact I would consider them a different team in Championship, I think they will be in the relegation mix this year. However i think that they will have one huge game in them and it will be the saving of them.

Allen Gaels will once again be fighting relegation from the SFC. They have been in this battle too often and I think that this year their close shaves will come to an end and they will drop down a grade. That said, their league form in Division 2 has been decent.

Drumreilly will not be too different to Allen Gaels and may make an appearance in the relegation battle also. However unlike Allen Gaels, I think Drumreilly have a few decent players in key positions that may save them this year. Their Division 1 results are very positive and should be competing at this level again next year.

johnmurphy (Sligo) - Posts: 25 - 24/05/2013 12:49:41    1390430

Link

Kiltubrid also will feature in the relegation battle this year as I cannot see them getting a win against any of the teams in their group. They have struggled all season in the league only getting a win against fellow strugglers Bornacoola, only scoring 3 points against Dromahaire & not having a game last weekend will not help their cause against Mohill.

Carrigallen have been strengthened by the return of some of their emigrants including Gary Reynolds which will give them a massive boost. However being in a group with Mohill & Melvin Gaels will be tough and will need a result against one of these two in order to progress. Also despite playing in Division 2 this season they have only won 4 of their 7 games which is not great form. A possible quarter final appearance for them this year.

Gortletteragh v st marys .......... St Marys by 5

Aughawillan v bornacoola.......... Aughawillan by 4

Annaduff v manor.......... Manor by 8

Melvin geals v carrigallen ..........Melvin gaels by 2

Mohill v kiltabrid .......... Mohill by 4

Drumrielly v allen geals .......... Drumreilly by 4

johnmurphy (Sligo) - Posts: 25 - 24/05/2013 12:50:03    1390431

Link

John murphy I'm of a similar opinion To you

I think aughawillan Are coming down The track And could knock out mohill in a semi or quarter where ever they meet

We (marys) should make a final And I hope its against The willies

If not We have No other choice but beat manor this year its been cat And mouse for too long

Your score predictions Are light as I see manor scoring 12-15 points against annaduff And mohill should easily score 15 points along with possibly 2 goals tomorrow

I predict The gortletteragh v us (marys game could Go either way , by this I mean We take them for a last kick point or We drive The nail Home by 5 as you predicted

Good luck To everybody togging tomorrow I know who I'm marking And I know he isn't getting The ball!

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 24/05/2013 19:33:41    1390846

Link

So the results so far that I know of
Allen Gaels 2-11 Drumreilly 0-11
Manorhamilton 1-11 Annaduff 0-03
Mary's 1.12-0.09 Gortletteragh.
Mohill 2.06 1.06 kiltubrid
Mg 2.05 0.08 carrigallen
Aughawillan 0.09 0.10 Bornacoola.
I think thats them all, what does that tell us? Poor result for Aughawillan, many on here thought they'd push on from last year, as I said myself they were badly beaten by Melvin Gaels last year and lost to Carrigallen in the U-21s from which they draw much of their senior team and that I wasn't expecting them to be contenders just yet but I still felt they had enough to overcome Bornacoola.
A great win for Allen Gaels getting a big win like (which included a missed Wynne penalty) that could really help them out later on, shown great progression over the last two years. As for Drumreilly, they'd have been eyeing up Allen Gaels as the must win game of the group and a lot will decide on the game against Annaduff to see if they will be avoiding a relegation playoff as I don't see them coming close to Manor.
Annaduff performed very poorly and look like relegation candidates if they continue as they have started. Its a massive beating they've had to take and every game will be a must win for them as I don't see them catching up on that score difference even if they do manage to finish 3rd.
Apart from those two games, no real surprises apart from maybe the Mohill Kiltubrid game where Kiltubrid ran Mohill very close, coming within one point at one stage.
Good win for Mary's it must be said, but I don't think anyone would have fancied Gortlettragh to win that one.
On the back of the 1st round, I'm backing Manor for the win with Annaduff and Kiltubrid to battle it out or relegation.

LeitrimDaddy (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 25/05/2013 21:46:24    1391277

Link

Most games seemed to go as expected - the exception being Bornacoola/Aughawillan. The Bors will still be in the mix come semifinal time because of their experience but are too old to win it at this stage I think. Mohill were not hugely impressive in beating Kiltubrid; Annaduff could be relegation candidates; Drumreilly's good league form went out the window against Allen Gaels; Melvin without Mulligan are significantly weakened. St Marys should be very happy with a win over a confident and well organised Gortletteragh.

All in all Manor exit the weekend as even clearer championship favourites; St Mary's are the only other ones who can claim to have seen their stock rise - apart of course from Boracoo,la who again showed on a one off they can take anyone

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 27/05/2013 09:23:12    1392115

Link

Somehow i feel that Annaduff decided to start their championship run against Allen Gaels, they looked slow, tired and disinterested against Manor. This may be a smart move as now they have six to eight weeks to plan to win two games. Their injured players will be back and they will be a completely different animal. Or am i barking up the wrong tree??? What ye think?

blackpuddin (Leitrim) - Posts: 69 - 27/05/2013 10:21:34    1392186

Link

What was the standard of intensity like around the county I was at the marys/gort game and I think both teams should be annoyed them didn't hammer the other.. completely lacked any form of intensity... I know it was the first round but I think both teams have huge amounts of work to do in the next eight weeks

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 27/05/2013 10:45:38    1392223

Link

I suppose the only small surprise was Bornacoola winning but no was overly shocked, they are proven championship performers always at the business end of things and I can see them beating Gort and qualifying!!! Annaduff will still come out of that group they will beat Drumreilly and if they find there some form can beat Allen Gaels. Manor as predicted are the team to beat no doubt about it! Mohill Kiltubrid game had a lot of intensity and some huge hits put in by both teams, I don't know how far Mohill will go as they had a lot of youth on show, they got some favourable decisions going their way and could have been beaten, surely the weakest group of the 3 as neither Melvin or Carrigallen are world beaters, Mulligans scores will be missed later in the championship! Manor to win and between Drumreilly, Kiltubrid, Carrigallen, Allen Gaels or Annaduff to go down imo.

Memyselfirene (Leitrim) - Posts: 38 - 27/05/2013 11:34:57    1392282

Link

If you Were To Go by The weekends preformance it would be drumrielly v annaduff relegation final with annaduff going down

3 scores doesn't say Much for a team that has The likes of ray cox scoring in every county game he comes on in

And on. The other hand drumrielly Are more or less a subsidary of aughawillan/soh now with one sole team in The whole club ,No underage setup what so ever

2 goals from allen geals it should havbe been 3

Time Will tell I Can see a repeat of The 2011 final

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 27/05/2013 11:43:29    1392291

Link

I would not write Annaduff of just yet. when they get Ray cox and Brendan Guckian back they will be a different team.

Johncoyne15 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 27/05/2013 14:15:06    1392517

Link

What about the Tug from Annaduff that hit Clancy off the ball,no way should he get away with it, i hope there is video evidence of it from the Brian lad that does the county games, duff were very poor, happy with result.Big shock in the second game, none of the county stars stood out in second game atall,had to check to see were they playing atall at start, Glenfarne did well after a bad start, fair play to them,some good displays from some lads from glenfarne,that lad in the glenfarne full forward line made the full back dizzy and they left him on him all day,Off coarse Dromahair will still win the championship though.

daisycutter (Leitrim) - Posts: 101 - 27/05/2013 15:28:55    1392656

Link

A lot of hammerings given out in Junior A Championship and a few surprising big scorelines in the SFC as well. Awful lack of intensity at the games fair play to the Bors for pulling their usual Championship stroke.. Unless this early round facilitates the B and C and U21 Championships finished a lot earlier the experiment will have failed. And Leitrim's likely 'hopeful' extended run in this years Championship means things will probably drag out as long as usual now.

On a side note seen one SFC two IFC and a JFC games this weekend. Some of the refereeing was deplorable. In the SFC game there was only one linesman for the first half.

And lastly, how did ya get on Saturday 94AllStar, how much of St Mary's 1-12 did ya score!

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 319 - 27/05/2013 17:39:48    1392833

Link

If I told you that dodgy pass you'd probaly do The lotto And win

It felt Like league games not Like championship

As you said refereeing was diplorable as usual our game was slow against gortletteragh they have 7 or 8 Good players

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 27/05/2013 18:13:29    1392872

Link

How will o heslins do in the intermediate championship.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 27/05/2013 18:50:58    1392902

Link

The idea of the championship starting earlier in the season is a great idea BUT only if there wasn't 6 week break in between games. Its practically pointless one weekend being played this earlier there will still be a big gap between games come september. Most teams dont see the point in being up to championship intensity yet when it will not be another 6 weeks before the next game. If teams played championship intensity at this stage of the competition by the time the second and third rounds came around they'd be burnt out. It should come as no surprise to anyone that the games where played at league intensity.

On another note the most surprising results of the weekend where glenfarnes victory over dromahair and boornacoolas win over aughawillan. Great win for these 2 clubs I was delighted to see it (no disrespect to dromahair or aughawillan).

This years championship is manors again, by far the superior team in leitrim this year.
Marys and mohill will choke as always in the past couple of years when it comes to the latter stages of the competition.
Aughawillan will take another 2-3years experience to properly compete for the championship (provided they dont lose anyone to emigration)
Melvin gaels will make it out of the group and that will be it, without mulligan (worth 5-6 points a game at least) and after losing a few from last years team, cant see them being anywhere good enough to make the semi-final.
Gortleitriegh and Allen gaels will be the surprise teams this year and think both have the oppurtunity to upset one of the big 4 (Marys, Mohill, Manor and Melvin) on there day.
Carigallen, Kiltubrid, Anaduff and drumreilly to fight it out to avoid relegation

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 27/05/2013 19:43:05    1392960

Link

results went pretty much as expected so,with exception being bornacoola!!kiltubrid mohill game was very physical,some great hits and kiltubrid showed they will be no pushover in championship,shane foley back is a boost to them and mahon in full forward was a one man forward line!!mohill though were without a few and ronan Gallagher and john mcguinness only played bout 5-6 minutes between them at the end!!allen gaels played very well v drumreilly,young team was impressive coming back from a slow start and a missed penalty...one thing learned,alan wynne is not a good penalty taker!!manor look very good for the title!

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 28/05/2013 13:03:19    1393462

Link

The big queston is Did gallagher ever play Much more than that?

Mohill have shown a weakness in The early stages And crqcks this early on isn't Good

Everybody expected them To Go out simply for target practise last Saturday but instead they showed their true colours ,they got 1 flukey goal And a few frees in their favor

Truth be told shane foley And his new team won that game by atleast 2 points

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 28/05/2013 14:52:29    1393610

Link

I think mohil will be quiet happy with the way the game went they got across the line and now have 6 weeks to get it right for the next day. I watched the 1st half of the bornacoola willies match then i went to see the champions league final but the bit i see bornacoola were far hungrier and should have been more ahead at the break. Micheal Dugnian and damien moran were in the full forward line and were causing trouble. it has to be said neither team will be a huge treat to manor who i think will walk the senior.

Intermediate is tough to call with good wins for Ballinamore Glenfarne and Drumkeerin who i feel along are the strongest teams in it. Droimahaire will bounce back but it will have shattered there confidence. I think Ballinamore will have too much fire power to be stopped but dont be surprised if they are bet in the latter stages.

Junior is hard to call St.Marys 2nd team looked the strongest team in it but a big win for mohil also. this championship is wide open and it is impossible to really predict a winner

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 28/05/2013 15:42:58    1393677

Link

In saying that I can't see manor beating The bors by as Much as they beat The duff

It was The horse that staggered for Me I presumed The willies would walk it a young fit team plenty of experience after last years championship

But The bors came out And showed us that they Are still alive And well

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 28/05/2013 16:47:06    1393749

Link