Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Banana republican r u trying to pass the beirnes off as not a big deal? - "4 men hanging out of Conor Beirne as you describe it doesn't sound like I missed a lot" if you were there you would have seen the biggest natural talent perhaps ever in leitrim football giving a total masterclass in forward play , scoring 2-6 from being double/triple marked all game long, displaying all the skills of a top class player, the determination and hunger to do his all for his team. Manor won the game but beirne was the man everyone went home talking about and the outrageous talent he is,manor men included. U missed a lot! Best performance given in many the year in leitrim football by Conor last weekend and I for one hope Hagan talks him in to coming back for county next year

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 435 - 26/09/2013 20:49:48    1490252

Link

Saintly would the 3 players your referring to be Ryan, Rooney and Hickey? They would be the ones I would pick out. There is potential in Rooney no doubt. Ryan was the best player on the pitch in the first half, I believe he was injured for first Manor senior game according to people at the game, hence being available to the second string.

Mattie07 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 26/09/2013 21:06:10    1490269

Link

Still Manor club's second string, if Donal Wrynn from Fenagh had done the same or some one you wouldn't be using as a stick to beat last years managements decision had done the same there wouldn't be as much about it. At Leitrim Intermediate level the Beirnes can be lethal as I have seen in the past, but at county level there has been a serious over exaggeration of their input because in the the games I have seen them their inconsistency comes to the fore, more bad games than good games, their mobility hinders both them from gaining possession as often as you need to at that level. And at Intermediate level in Leitrim they are not always reliable. Good players, not great players (YET). Their talent undoubted remains to be seen what they do with it.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 26/09/2013 21:57:20    1490323

Link

Congrats to St Marys on an impressive win today! Also Conor Beirne is not the best talent in the County.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 29/09/2013 18:44:42    1491453

Link

Who got man of the match in the senior??

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 29/09/2013 20:48:57    1491561

Link

Clement Cunniffe got Senior Man of Match.

greyhills (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 30/09/2013 10:12:58    1491711

Link

Villatown I suppose maxwell is ,so who do you think is

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 30/09/2013 10:37:06    1491732

Link

No Saintly I rate Donal Wrynne higher then Conor! You can leave your shotgun aside for now! Hard pressed to look past Cathal McCrann for his overall performance for Gorthlettagh

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 30/09/2013 11:44:05    1491812

Link

St Mary's kiltoghert GAA club 2013 LEITRIM senior championship winners

Clement conniffe man of the match

Well done to mohill

Naoimh muire Abu

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/09/2013 15:09:09    1492070

Link

Very poor county final. First half from both teams was poor especially Mohill. How Mohill beat manor is a mystery. The minor final on the other hand was brilliant entertainment. Some serious scores taken from Both sides. Manachans bench was probably the difference in the end but well done to both teams it was great stuff.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 30/09/2013 20:52:01    1492442

Link

Well done Carrick fully derserving winners. Youd have to hand it to the town men a great example of wholehearted resolve to continue to come back every year having taken heavy hard defeats last few years. 

Mary's  were superior in all aspects yeaterday-they had a physically stronger spine they had a more set form of attack with forwards interchanging and their half backs supporting and creating incisive openings. I was quite impressed With their defence. The level of organisation displayed doesnt happen over night and cassidy and glancy snuffed out the threat of the willing mulligan. 

Such was their deciseveness in their method of play this year,it wouldnt have mattered had manor got to the final.

Mohill tried hard and possibly could have gave a greater showing on another day but their young players will learn from the experience and surely build for the coming years. We need the likes of mohill getting to carrick and manors level which can only be healthy for leitrim football. 

Only issue i would have would be man of the match award thought marys centre back farell was a class apart and should really be looked at bring in for next. He ticks all the modern day requirements to make it as a county footballer.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 30/09/2013 22:01:14    1492523

Link

Great display by Carrick on Sunday. They just had too much experience, power, speed and strength and depth off the bench for Mohill. If Mohill were to have any chance they needed Gallagher and Quinn to run the legs of Mc Weeney and Lowe at midfield, But Gallagher seemed to get injured early in the game and Mc Weeney seemed to have to much height for Quinn in the air. Mohill will learn from the defeat and they will need a new midfielder and 2 or 3 forwards to come through off their minor championship team to be able to close the gap with Carrick over the next few years. The reality was that for large parts of the game james Glancy and Nicholas Mc Weeney completely snuffed out their only real dangerous forwards Mulligan and Mc Loughlin. I Also thought Mohill's goalies kickouts were just too short. I give good credit to Eanna Madden though who did a really good job on Ray Mulvey.
Carrick from No 1 to 20 were really impressive. They fielded 9 under 21s with amazingly only 2 of them being on the County under 21 team this year. The Manor posters were telling us all year how Manor had a new brilliant crop of Under 21s and they were about to embark on another period of dominance. I'm sorry to all the Manor fans but I wouldn't swap Colm O'Reilly, Joe O'Rourke, Michael and Connor Mc Weeney, The Flynn Brothers, Jack De Lacey, Connor Farrell or Ronan Kennedy for any of those so called great young Manorhamilton players. But Carrick would have not won on Sunday without the steal the experienced players the lowes, James Glancy, Ray Mulvey Jonathan Cassidy, Brian O'Donnell, the man of the match Clement Cunniffe and the flying Nicholas Mc Weeney gave them.
The only surprise was with Carrick's dominance all over the field
We have had the ridiculous situation over the last few years where players who have obviously declined over the last few years like Adrian Croal and Brian Mc Donald were being picked for the county just because they played for the seemingly invincible Manorhamilton team.
Guys like Nicholas Connor and Michael Mc weeney, Clement Cunniffe, Colm O'Reilly and Connor Farrell from Carrick and Shane Quinn, Eanna Madden, Alan Mc Loughlinn and John Mulligan are players surely Leitrim should be looking at.
If Carrick can manage to keep their young lads at home and not lose them to the scourge of emigration like the way we lost James Mc Grail and David Tiernan with none of the starting team over 30, This Carrick team has the potential to win another couple of championships over the next 5 years. The reality is we now have a forward line that will be able to tear apart the declining Manor defence when we next meet them in the championship, Which has to be the aim now for Carrick

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 01/10/2013 11:20:58    1492629

Link

My thoughts on the game. Agree/Disagree if you will.

1) Poor first half form both teams. A lot of handling errors.

2) Some terrible wides shot from St. Marys, particularly in first half (Alan Doherty from right in front of goal, albeit he scored a cracker from out on the left beforehand) and early in the second.

3) Different stories at both ends of pitch in 1st half. Mickey McGuinness did as well as expected on R. Lowe, won a few breaks but Lowe had the pace to beat him more often than not. At the other end, I felt James Clancy had J. Mulligan in his pocket by and large,J. Mulligan fumbled a sight of ball in the first half, more cut to him in the 2nd half. Don't understand the hype, not much between him, Evan Sweeney, or Padraig Gallagher.

4) A. McLoughlin took his goal well. mickeyquinn I would't necessarily rank him as one of their more dangerous forwards, has improved vastly from minor though, other clubs should follow whatever example Mohill took with him regards player development.

5) Mary's midfield dominated Mohill. R. Gallagher underwhelming, maybe to do with the hit he shipped early on. S. Quinn better suited to a wing forward who could drop back and catch midfield a lá C. Cuniffe on Sunday.

6) Worryingly, even though Mohill's bench was very strong, hard to see who could've came in to make a game changing difference except Ronan Kennedy, who duly obliged with a goal. Maybe should've been on earlier for Flynn or J. McGuinness, who also shipped a heavy knock early on.

7) Mary's are a big, physically imposing team where it matters. Strong and mobile down the centre, pacy and agile on the wings, (by and large).

8) Mohill are blessed with good free takers, Tighe, McLoughlin, A. Armstrong from 45's, testament to Mary's that Mohill's scores from frees wasn't overly high.

9) mickeyquinn makes the point that Mary's started 9 U21's. Was it that many? with only 2 on the U21 panel last year you have to wonder what Brendan Guckian was thinking?

10) Mohill, always a great club for starting players young and giving them chances, will be looking for a few of the Manachan's minors to plug a few holes in that team in next few years.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 320 - 01/10/2013 12:23:02    1492684

Link

Well done marys was a convincing win. Mohill didnt really have what it takes to be there they caught manor on a bad day and beat a bad gortletragh team! I still think Marys Manor and Melvin gaels are the top teams as Marys strugled to beat the gaels in the quarters and both games could have gone either way! Mohill havnt really gained anything from last year only the experience of playing a county final. Its great to hear Marys have such a young team Because the problem with leitrim clubs is that we are to slow to get young blood into the teams and when you mix 8 or 9 young lads with pace and ability with a few old heads teams are very hard bet as they have it all speed experience and ability. The real problem is the rest of the clubs that cant put it up to the 3 or 4 heavyweights in senior they need to get a bit of youth into the teams and push on for nxt yr!!

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 01/10/2013 12:29:51    1492690

Link

6 marys starters were u21, 3 of the subs who came on too, and more on the panel

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 01/10/2013 17:29:18    1492969

Link

@ Harleys the current senior top 3 are as follows

St MARYS
MOHILL
Gortletteragh

After that the likes of carrigallen annaduff Allen geals manor drumrielly kiltubrid aughawillan Melvin geals bornacoola

I think the majority of posters who play or watch us play would agree

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 01/10/2013 17:54:23    1493003

Link

The 4 M's are a fair distance ahead of the chasing pack which is led by the Gorts. Mary's, Manor, Melvin Gaels and Mohill, between them have won the last 8 championships, can't see next year's title landing anywhere outside of these 4 either

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 01/10/2013 20:52:49    1493160

Link

melvin gaels still a good bit ahead of drumreilly and kiltubrid, 2 clubs lucky to still be senior at this stage.
if there was a relegation final who wuda came out on top?

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 01/10/2013 21:07:28    1493169

Link

Well done on the junior B championship Friday night 94Allstar. Did u get a run?

Dan_Toal (Leitrim) - Posts: 233 - 01/10/2013 21:57:43    1493227

Link

4 Ms are well ahead of the rest, don't rate Gortlettragh up with them at all, lucky to beat the willies to even get out of the group! The rest there is nothing between them any one of them could beat the other, Gaelsboy Drumreilly have won the semi relegation every year and thats only Kiltubrid's 2nd year, wouldn't exactly say there fighting every year!! Bors this year after their opening win seemed to struggle, that break in between was the worst thing that could happen them, as for the willies who knows what happened after last year!! Just shows though with the luck of the draw you can get an easy path to a Quarter look at Allen Gaels (last 2 years with a v.poor team) and Annaduff this year!

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 02/10/2013 09:37:20    1493270

Link