Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Suppose Melvin Gales made their own history today! When was the last time the reigning County Champions were knocked out in the quarter finals?

iamawesome (Leitrim) - Posts: 57 - 31/08/2013 19:45:20    1472003

Link

It was very quiet in north leitrim last weekend, But now the bonfires are certainly out with the losses of the remaining north leitrim standard bearers, Melvin Gaels and Dromahaire, I give credit to though to Melvin Gaels, They gave everything they had against a superior St Mary's team, who were boosted by the form of young starlets Joe O Rourke, Michael Mc Weeney
Connor mc Weeney conor Farrell, James and Brendan flynn and jack de Lacey, I remember the north leitrim posters earlier in the year claiming there was no good young players in carrick, and that Manors young lads were going to make them dominant again. Still Melvin Gaels will feel they blew some clear cut goal chances that could've put them out of sight . congrats to Eslin getting rid of perennial chokers Dromahaire. Eslin are now intermediate favourites

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 31/08/2013 20:30:55    1472031

Link

Proud of the Eslin lads today. And won it without Mossy or Conor hitting top form. Other guys stood up and were counted today. No pressure on Eslin now.

june68 (Leitrim) - Posts: 68 - 31/08/2013 21:51:03    1472122

Link

It looks like we could retain 5 cups down here in south leitrim this year

Turned out to be a great championship after all now lets finish it in style

Everyone is proud of ESLIN jimmy it's some achievement great work 60 minutes ahead of them to finish strong

Can anybody confirm did Melvin geals find their way home in the dark?

Be a pity if they took a wrong turn or 3

Gortletteragh v mohill and st Mary's v carrigallen

I can't wait great performance from the Mary's team and the eslin team yesterday

I don't see too many of the northern posters commenting on our young players but then again I suppose there will be excuses about not enough injury time or an unfair ref or a ball that was too round or a goal post that was too straight

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 01/09/2013 09:40:42    1472141

Link

Well done to the Eslin lads! Great win ye should be proud!! Now bring home the cup home south! Eslin Abu!!

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 01/09/2013 12:20:46    1472203

Link

Eslin looked like a poor IMO were lucky they got drawn on the poorer side of the draw cant see them winning it but what i really would like to know is IF manor go on to win the intermediate what would the situation be with promotion?

leitrim23 (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 01/09/2013 20:01:41    1472530

Link

Why do you have such negativity towards eslin?

They had a hard game against Soh

And drumahaire were ment to be unstoppable according to northern posters

If manors second string outfit was that good how come the drew with Glenfarne?

I think the entire county wants to see eslin v Glenfarne in the intermediate final

Once again well done to eslin in getting this far and giving us all a summer to remember after the disaster of a year the county had

Darkness still surrounds the northern lights the gusty breeze has died off and where there was once Faith there is now fear

The south has risen

Retreat cry the nordies

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/09/2013 13:08:02    1473031

Link

What is a poor IMO?
and how did they get the easy side of the draw? Dromahair is every bit as good as Glenfarne and manor second team if not better. Congratulations to them on getting to the final and rooting for Glenfarne for the other semi. Would be great to see an Eslin Glenfarne final. Two teams that dont get there too often, something different.
Looking at the game yesterday, Eslin proved one thing that they aren't this two man team that the observer so blatantly brands them. The one thing Glenfarne proved time and time again is that there never beat. Battle hard the whole game yesterday. Fergal Clancy a class act, should definitly be re-called for the county!

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 02/09/2013 13:43:28    1473084

Link

Have to say fair play to Eslin on Saturday and they are most definitely not a two man team. They had a number of players who stood up and were counted on Saturday evening. I have to say as a neutral at the games in Pairc Sean on Saturday evening I was routing for Eslin and Glenfarne/Kilty. It would be great to see two of the smallest clubs in the county play in the final. It would be a great occasion for both clubs.

I have to say I thought the pace and quality of the football in the second game was a lot better than the first game. I thought Dromahair were very poor for a Division 1 team. Glenfarne must be the most under-rated team in the Intermediate championship as no one mentions them as been contenders at the start yet one of their supporters told be they have been in the semi final in 4 of the last 5 years and each time have been beaten by the team that went on to win the championship. Last year it took a replay for Gortletteragh to knock them out and am told they had Gortletteragh in big trouble until two of their main players got injured the first day. I think if they don't concede goals in the replay next weekend they will win. The hit 15 scores compared to 11 from Manor.Fergal Clancy was outstanding. His workrate last Saturday evening was incredible. I was also very impressed with their centre back and full forward (i think he's Clancy too).

Fingers crossed Glenfarne can make it to the final. All us neutrals will be rooting for them next weekend.

leitrimfollower (Leitrim) - Posts: 39 - 02/09/2013 15:50:31    1473259

Link

Eslin played far better than everyone expected including Dromahair! think they took them for granted, but take Cian Clinton and Conor Kelly out of the Dromahair team then they are a very average group of players and that was proven on saturday! in regards to the other semi-final manor and glenfarn was a real classic! standered of football was better but still no where near senior level! both teams showed good reslove and character to come back against on another, Just think manors experience will see them through the reply remember 11 of thier players have senior championship medals (most of those have 4) that experience has to count for something! Really hoping Glenfarne can win tho would love to see them in the final! would be along way from nearly not being a club at the start of the year!!

Jack_the_lad (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 02/09/2013 20:23:21    1473530

Link

From what I've seen in the championship so far there's 4 lads worth a call up to the County for sure... I don't know there names maybe someone can help me out, One plays Midfield and the other Full Forward for Eslin, another Centre Back for Ballinamore and the last Midfield for Ballinamore... These lads seem to run the show in their respective games (apart from the game Bmore got knocked out in of course) surely what a shot at county to bring some new blood in!!!

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 03/09/2013 11:46:51    1473848

Link

I know the 4 u speak of mousemat and 4 south leitrim lads too!

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/09/2013 12:03:24    1473879

Link

If you had to see the 2 Ballinamore lads v manor you wouldn't be call ing for them. They bottle it constantly in big games.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 03/09/2013 12:18:30    1473906

Link

I'm very slow! Only after getting the joke! But all messing aside at the games Saturday and Eslins other midfielder Brian Higgins really stood out! Huge man in the middle, dwarfs mossie Beirne! Also FergalClancy of glenfarne Aaron hickey of manor would like to see brought in next year!

skippy11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 80 - 03/09/2013 12:37:32    1473934

Link

Ouryear you didn't happen to see the soh v drumahaire league game a few weeks back division 1

Did McGowan get up yet?

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/09/2013 13:00:54    1473978

Link

how have you time to go to every game in leitrim allstar?!!
with your commitments to carrick gaa and gortlettragh hurling

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 03/09/2013 16:15:53    1474246

Link

Time time time is in my side geals boy

Yes it is

Some evening where I am pint bottle and ice I predict

Something inside so strong was a big hit about west Belfast

They still play it in the clubhouse at the gaa club

Gortletteragh are also in the Leo Kenny cup final

Good luck lads do the gaa end of the county proud

I'll be there

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/09/2013 16:58:56    1474294

Link

Would that be the the league game with two beaten intermediate team 94. Keep shouting ya boy ya your beloved Mary's have two games left before they have their hands on the Fenagh cup. I am sure the will keep up their fine tradition and contrive to bottle it at some point.

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 178 - 03/09/2013 18:11:05    1474360

Link

Would also like to wish Gort. well in Leo Kenny Final.

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 178 - 03/09/2013 18:13:46    1474364

Link

Well bugsie atleast we can sleep at night knowing the only time the fenagh cup will go north for along time again is on a tour with st Mary's kiltoghert gaa club

Mohill are fond of the bottle alright

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/09/2013 19:34:23    1474437

Link