Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

good man mulletsKinlough

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 22/08/2013 15:27:03    1465837

Link

would it be closer for you to go to ballybofey mullets?? its a bad decision to have two big games this weekend in drumshambo, the 4 teams playing are the 4 biggest supported teams so most cars, no parking for players never mind supporters. good pitch but the dressing rooms only fit for 2 teams not good enough for 4!!

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 22/08/2013 17:18:46    1465955

Link

Manor knocked out.. Wow!! Bit of a shock for me anyways! Is this the end of an era for manor?

LeitrimMad1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 43 - 24/08/2013 20:42:43    1467265

Link

2 favourites gone in 2 weeks turf accountants happy

Who will win senior now anyone at the games for a report or some still in shock

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 25/08/2013 10:41:50    1467402

Link

melvin gaels look like their hungry enoff to do it again

gixer1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 25/08/2013 11:41:39    1467451

Link

big shock yesterday, Mohill were due a big game, Melvin V Marys was close game hard to choose a winner next week! Hard to believe Manors gone so early!!

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 25/08/2013 12:44:33    1467484

Link

Melvin Gaels missed 3 frees from in front of the posts towards the end of the game on Saturday night. Then again St Mary's missed a penalty in the first half. Think Carrick will be the happier with the draw as they were certainly hanging on at the end.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 26/08/2013 08:59:22    1468080

Link

Who ever win the melvin gaels vs carrick match will win the championship
No one left as strong as these two....both carrick and melvin wud beat mohill
Or gortlettergh...

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 54 - 26/08/2013 11:03:50    1468201

Link

It's all gone very quiet up in North Leitrim. Where are all the posters all year whom told us that Manor were 4 or 5 points better than anyone and would easily reclaim their county title. We were told last week how they were going to do a senior intermediate double. The reality is their arrogance finally caught up with them. Not for a second did they think Mohill could beat them and I'm certain that they decided not to start the on form Aaaron Hickey to keep him fresh for the Intermediate semi final, Thinking Mohill would be a pushover. The reality is as I said last week a lot of their success was based on teams inability to stop their full forward line of Mc Donald, Croal and Glancy. Those 3 as we've seen all year for the county are pale shadows of their former selves. Manor arrogantly thought that the 2 small young players Brady and Sweeney would make up for the poor form of the above 3, But in the heat of the championship they were found wanting on Saturday. Also the manor 4 in a row team had a brilliant defence in the 2 O'Flynns, Loughlin the Poinards, Kelly and Mc Guire. On Saturday through injuries and loss of form their defence was found badly wanting. I think Manor also paid a heavy price for putting so much last winter into winning the senior League and the under 21 championship. All those players had been on the go for 5 years and actually could have done with 4 months off. Manor were flying fit then at the start of the senior league and the likes of Melvin Gaels and Carrick were struggling. But both those teams and Mohill have timed their training perfectly to play their best football in August, Manor going unbeaten in the senior league is not much good to them now.
Mohill got their matchups spot on on Saturday, Putting Eanna Madden on Gerry Hickey, Who's been Manor's most influential players over the past few years and upfront I was very impressed with Mulligan and Mc Loughlin.
That win has to make Mohill favourites now with most people. But I actually think Gortleterragh will be physically too strong for them and expect them to win that semi.
The Melvin Gaels Gaels Vs Carrick match was a great contest. It was proper championship intensity.With Carrick probably the best team for the 1st 45 minutes. But Melvin Gaels will be really disappointed they didn't finish Carrick off in the last 15 minutes when they got completely on top. I honestly don't know who's going to win the replay. But maybe it will come down to who between Paul Brennan and Robbie Lowe, the best players on both teams, Improves their performance from the 1st game, Because both players were anonymous.
The replay is as good as a semi final. Because I don't see an intermediate standard team Carrigallen, living with very powerful teams like Carrick and Melvin Gaels

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 26/08/2013 11:22:45    1468231

Link

At three matches over the weekend! Out of manor Mohill carrick Melvin glenfarne and drumkeerin, I didn't see one midfielder on the team that would be a strong county midfielder! Other the John mulligan, I didn't see one outstanding forward! Hate ya get back to the Beirne situation but...

skippy11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 80 - 26/08/2013 13:11:35    1468370

Link

Well said micky Quinn

Mohill v gortletteragh should be a good game

Don't rule out a replay

Mohill overcame Mary's in 06 after Mary's thought they had the game won

Gortletteragh won intermediate last year their last senior title was 87

Immense hunger in both camps and don't be surprised if both clubs make a majority county panel next year

The minor intensity of both clubs manachans and gortenagh I do believe will lift leitrim football

The bonfires on the drumlin hills up north are now just smouldering piles of cold ashes

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 26/08/2013 15:58:08    1468603

Link

"The bonfires on the drumlin hills up north are now just smouldering piles of cold ashes"

That's some philosophical, poetic trolling right there 94

:D

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 320 - 26/08/2013 16:40:14    1468658

Link

Plenty of poetry being composed around the rolling hills of kiltoghert dodgy pass

The replay is being written on mong hill

Mary's v carrigallen semi

It has a ring to it

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 26/08/2013 17:55:06    1468732

Link

Any word of where the replay will be? park sean should be used for the business end of the year! Also if the replay is this weekend will the winning team have a week off or will it be the following week? its a lot to ask a team to play 3 weeks in a row at such intensity

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/08/2013 18:47:41    1468768

Link

sure @harleys why would the county board give your boys home advantage... neutral venue at a half way point is the only fair way...

MulletsRock (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 26/08/2013 21:22:21    1468913

Link

Sure its not really carricks home pitch it should be there as its the main pitch in the county. 

I was at the games in drumshanbo.Well worth the admission. The first game was an absorbing contest. Mary's looked sharp early on and should have been out of sight with a couple of missed goal chances. But Melvin gaels as they do hung in the the game,fought and grinded the margin down and got a goal that helped keep them within touching distance. 

Manor may be gone but their north leitrim neighbours look like a team prepared to last the pace. You'd have to respect them greatly.Written off from word go, manager less for long periods early on in the year and without their star who supposedly makes them tick. But they still hold the most important things that make a team hard to beat. They have an unmatched fighting spirit that enabled them to hang in with a good Mary's team who would have overpowered the majority of teams at the weekend.  There is just an edge about the gaels that every team would love to bottle. They dont fear anyone. At one point in the match a marys six footer was charging out of his defence when he was dunted by an almighty(fair)shoulder that released the ball into sheridans hands and he duly punished them. The melvin gaels player was only a spurt of a lad but was willing to do whatever it took to get his team back into the game. It was a crucial turning point for them as their confidence grew and really after that only for marys freetaker the match would have gone the gaels way. 

Melvin gaels have faults. They're somewhat limited in attack but have some top performers and big leaders who could take them to the top again. Sheridan and Brennan typify Melvin gaels with a spirit and persistence that should be embedded in every player. They refused to bow down with each willing to make energy sapping runs into the Mary's defence throughout the game always being an option. How Mickey figured Paul Brennan was  anonymous is beyond me ! He was driving his team on the whole time and his point at the end was example of his never say die play throughout.

It was evident Melvin gaels are very proud of their title as champions with the spirit gained from last years win being a key tonic for each player to tap back into when the pressure mounts. They kept plugging away and got a result in the end.They will not panic and now that manor are gone will believe can retain the Fenagh cup. They are a dangerous team. 

As for players that were anonymous I could name a few that were and it were neither Lowe or Brennan. I was disappointed with your own much vaunted younger players who you proclaimed as stars. They went hiding when the pressure was on and it's amazing that this supposedly new Mary's team still rely heavily on the ageing Jimmy Guckian. Why didn't Mary's bring in a couple of their speedsters up front. Mulvey or Orourke would have been an improvement on their forward line.

I wouldn't like to call the replay but whoever wins will have savage momentum going into the latter stages. But both teams will want to fine tune to challenge outright.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 26/08/2013 21:59:11    1468973

Link

We have 2 county stadiums both called pairc Sean

Carrick or ballinamore

Which 1 mulletsrock?

It will only take us I hour to do justice for the people of kiltoghert and leave a good long drive home for the northern lads

1 hour 1 pitch 1club

C'mon the Mary's

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 27/08/2013 10:22:07    1469065

Link

you should be supporting your own club on saturday allstar

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 27/08/2013 10:51:59    1469081

Link

Big game for Kiltubrid saturday evening Allstar. How do u see it going??

Dan_Toal (Leitrim) - Posts: 233 - 27/08/2013 11:18:25    1469110

Link

allstar wont get to see Gaels beating marys as he will be playing for kiltubrid

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 27/08/2013 11:43:46    1469126

Link